These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Winter] Existing destroyer rebalancing

First post
Author
Lili Lu
#281 - 2012-09-05 19:28:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Lili Lu
X Gallentius wrote:
Zarnak Wulf wrote:

Well check this out:

Thrasher - First to Fight

Minmatar sent a few of those through a minor acceleration gate first to absorb DPS. It's an impractical fit for anything else. But an MSE AND a 400mm plate - with second tier guns, a nuet, and no fitting mods! I think if I put a 400mm plate on a Cat I have to go with Electrons and still need fitting help. We won't even touch the MSe.

Catalyst can do something like this but with no point and a micro auxilliary core in the low. 7x 75mm gatling rails, and a small neut too.

Do we concur that the blaster version of the Catalyst is sub par but that there may be hope for a 125mm "hull tanked" version? Still evaluating...

My question is why should we accept the proposal that the Catalyst should only be considering 125mm rails and can't even contemplate 150mm rails while the Cormorant can consider any and all blasters? To apply racial preferences as a straightjacket is bad design (especially if those straightjackets are not equally applied).

The Catalyst can gain greater benefit from blasters, and the Corm from rails, but there should still be the choice available to fit either kind on either ship. As proposed the Catalyst is gimped for choice and the Corm is blessed with the choice. That needs to change if CCP is going to call this balancing in any sense of the word.
Quake590
Neurotoxin Control
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
#282 - 2012-09-06 15:05:55 UTC
Personally I hate the cormorant change. I can see where CCP is coming from, and what they're trying to do, but in the process they are killing what the cormorant does best. The ability to fit four mids gives it versaility with its fittings.

One low slot might seem impractical at first but in fact is its strength, it can fit a tank in the mids, dual webs, dual prop, a TD, whatever it likes, while losing out on either damage or tank as a consequence. If you want a ship that does those better, then the thrasher and catalyst there for variation.

I suppose the biggest issue with dessies atm is the small amount of choice that you get, you're stuck between four ships that vary mostly in slots. I can't wait for the second line of dessies, and finally getting my missile dessies. The Heretic is nice but costs a rediculous amount for T1 stats :P

Quake
Doddy
Excidium.
#283 - 2012-09-06 15:39:40 UTC
Bloodpetal wrote:

The destroyers are pretty disgusting anti-frig platforms at the moment. Honestly, even assault frigates really don't want to go up against them. There seems to be something slightly wrong with that?

Something wrong with destroyers fulfilling the role they are specifically aimed at (killing frigates) and even named for.
Doddy
Excidium.
#284 - 2012-09-06 15:54:35 UTC
Usagi Toshiro wrote:
+1 for more Destroyer hulls.

Regarding the use of them for planetary bombardment, aren't they a bit small for this? When I imagine a ship designed to rain doom upon a planet I see a dread or battleship for this. The current dreads could be modified for this use in low/null sec, leaving a need for a hull for high sec.

I would like to see a new, larger hull for this. Maybe something between a BC and a BS? CCP is really pushing the 'specific role for each ship' idea which is cool. Give us some new ones.

If they really want to roll with the destroyer as the platform for planetary bombardment can it have some sort of siege mode? Make it immobile and allow it to deploy some planetary punishment weapon to bring the rain. This would be a great feature!

**Edit**
Spelling.

I am pretty sure destroyers are only the first ship to be so bonused. It fits in well with their role as basically a weapon platform. The larger vessels firepower is probably a bit excessive for close support anyway. I am sure as dust and its relationship with eve expands you will see more ships that can cross over, hopefully culminating in the much wished for t2 planet killer dreadnaught.
Marcel Devereux
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#285 - 2012-09-06 17:34:22 UTC
Lili Lu wrote:
X Gallentius wrote:
Zarnak Wulf wrote:

Well check this out:

Thrasher - First to Fight

Minmatar sent a few of those through a minor acceleration gate first to absorb DPS. It's an impractical fit for anything else. But an MSE AND a 400mm plate - with second tier guns, a nuet, and no fitting mods! I think if I put a 400mm plate on a Cat I have to go with Electrons and still need fitting help. We won't even touch the MSe.

Catalyst can do something like this but with no point and a micro auxilliary core in the low. 7x 75mm gatling rails, and a small neut too.

Do we concur that the blaster version of the Catalyst is sub par but that there may be hope for a 125mm "hull tanked" version? Still evaluating...

My question is why should we accept the proposal that the Catalyst should only be considering 125mm rails and can't even contemplate 150mm rails while the Cormorant can consider any and all blasters? To apply racial preferences as a straightjacket is bad design (especially if those straightjackets are not equally applied).

The Catalyst can gain greater benefit from blasters, and the Corm from rails, but there should still be the choice available to fit either kind on either ship. As proposed the Catalyst is gimped for choice and the Corm is blessed with the choice. That needs to change if CCP is going to call this balancing in any sense of the word.

The probably chalk it up to some reason like it gets a drone. Here is a idea: REMOVE THE BLASTED DRONE AND GIVE IT ANOTHER MID SLOT AND MAWR PG/CPU!!!!! Problem solved. Oh wait that wouldn't make the Thrasher the king of destroyers. Nevermind. I forgot that we weren't balancing. Just making it seem like you were balancing without the actual balancing part. Move along nothing to see here.
X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#286 - 2012-09-06 18:04:44 UTC
Here's my results:

For long range weapons:
Corm niche is super long range sniper. 105km.

Coercer and Cat long range excels at lots of dps at mid range. (Coercer seems to have the numbers on the cat). For equivalent fits it seems to me like the Cat is outpaced by the Coercer. There may be some piloting issues that make them equal, but I haven't found it yet. These ships can easily blap frigates and will eat corms alive if they are within 40km

Thrasher range niche is arty alpha. Gate camps, nanofaggotry. Needs to (and will) get shot off first to kill Cat/Coercer.

Short Range:
Catalyst sucks in real PvP. Can't project damage. Can't control range. Probably a good blob ship where the larger opponent can't cycle his weapons fast enough to kill multiple cats before getting popped. Catalyst's niche is ganking haulers with massive dps.

Coercer is awesome, can project massive damage out to long range weapon territory (125mm rails with antimatter for example). This is its true niche.

Thrasher is awesome since it is a Minmatar hull. Suffers same damage projection issues as cat but is much more versatile.

Cormorant - Better range than cat and can control range with midslots.

Otherwise, after studying this for a bit the reason they give Thrasher/Corm more PG is so they can fit a Medium Shield Extender as their minimal tank which has about the same effect as a damage control unit. These two ships can also increase their tanks by quite a bit by also installing a damage control, but at the cost of losing a damage mod. So there's a gank/tank tradeoff there.

The Cat really doesn't have that option. It only makes sense as a hull tanked or no-tanked ship. It's a clear winner in the "gank haulers" niche, and is worse than the other hulls in real pvp at short range - especially if they decide to tank their hulls (Corm, Thrasher) to allow time to control range. The Coercer just has an unbelievably long engagement range with Scorch.

So, in the end, the Catalyst can be used for real pvp and be effective. But like most Gallente hulls it will never have a clear niche vs other destroyers other than face melting dps against undefended civilians.

---

And please get rid of the drone! Too much time needs to be spent for too little result.

Lili Lu
#287 - 2012-09-06 23:48:24 UTC
Judging by your post, and my last post before I edited it. One thing they definitely should do is change the names on a couple of them. Cormorant, Coercer, and Catalyst - rather easy to refer to the wrong one when typing up a post. P

Anyway, Catalyst seems to be the clear loser. One pita drone (at least make it two or just get rid of it) and the worst fitting stats by far. It really needs to be rethought. Also, who fed it 5 servings of pancakes every morning. It's fatter than a shield bloated Cormorant now. Stop hurting it with your tainted love.

The Corm's range is absurd. A 10% bonus on top of the longest range guns in class is absurd. 100+ range when all the others struggle to hit 50 or 60 is crazy.

The Thrasher's alpha ability is over-done. Not really by anything about the ship, but more by the former arty alpha buff a few expansions ago. I've always thought it was made too extreme. And why is the sig radius an order of magnitude smaller than the rest. Feed it some of those stacks of pancakes you should be withholding from the Catalyst.

The Coercer I have no experience with and probably never will. But it looks ok at least from fighting them. Not really seeing any issues. But I'm sure some have things they want to post about it (like it losing a low for a medium lol).

Ugh, hope you can adjust these again before you dump them on Tranquility.
Dato Koppla
Balls Deep Inc.
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#288 - 2012-09-07 06:09:05 UTC
I'm +1ing the keep 4 mids on Cormorant cause. The Cormorant is an extremely powerful frigate sniper and losing its 4th mid would gimp its sniper fit.
TrouserDeagle
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#289 - 2012-09-07 10:05:00 UTC
The only appeal of the coercer (and all amarr laser ships) is the silliness of scorch ammo. Eagerly awaiting a devpost about re-done T2 ammo and lasers (and TEs I guess).
MJ Incognito
Macabre Votum
Northern Coalition.
#290 - 2012-09-07 10:08:07 UTC  |  Edited by: MJ Incognito
Are you guys seriously missing the 20km 329 dps coercer and the 6km 460 dps coercer fits after this change? In what ******* joke of a world would you ever pwn a coercer with a thrasher again?

I mean seriously, if the coercer were a ******* ****** and sat at 0 speed and let the thrasher approach, he's going to knock off 1200 EHP before the thrasher can even start to project normal barage damage, and then at free will can change ammo 9 seconds faster to much harder hitting ammo at a longer range.

About the only chance a thrasher has post change would be to land inside 5km to start the fight.

Honestly, this is one of the first paper tiger changes I actually like, and I really wish all Destroyers worked in that 20-40km range at some ridiculous dps levels.

The cormorant is really close too if they don't nerf the CPU as proposed.

Catalyst and Thrasher are the close range boats, which I'm pretty heavily against personally.

=============================================

All that said, I stick with my original comment, they should just swap the damn ship to 100% damage bonus, 4 guns, 100% web range bonus. leave 2 utility high slots, add the spare slots to the lows/mids, and provide the ship with a pg/cpu gun fitting bonus so that they can keep the actual ship fittings super tight while making the guns super easy to fit... this would limit excessive tank builds.

By default, all these ships should be high base CPU and low base PG so that they are encouraged to fit weapon upgrades and not extenders/plates.
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#291 - 2012-09-07 14:05:00 UTC
Takeshi Yamato wrote:
Veshta Yoshida wrote:
Coercer is by and large fine as is .. the second midslot is a waste of balancing/trap if you ask me. Think out of the box instead damnit, make it into the glass-cannon extraordinaire that it was originally intended to be.

If you look back a bit you can see in one of my posts that the Coercer will still make an excellent glass cannon while being able to fit a warp disruptor.

And personally I'm not a fan of the 1 mid Coercer. It works, but only in gangs and against ignorant opponents that underestimate it.

I have to disagree. Often times destroyers fights are so close that neither side has much chance to warp until its too late. I have killed people with the coercer and died to coercers. Allowing the coercer to fit bigger guns isn't that great of a benefit because tracking is its main weakness.

Occassionally someone will warp off. But its actually pretty rare.

I am not really sure what use a cormorant will be. I used to be able to kill most other destroyers including thrashers with the extra midslot (shield, ab scram plus td, or shield, mwd scram plus web). Now with the same slot layout its just clearly worse than a thrasher.

It is so slow it needs that extra mid.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#292 - 2012-09-07 14:14:42 UTC
MJ Incognito wrote:
Are you guys seriously missing the 20km 329 dps coercer and the 6km 460 dps coercer fits after this change? In what ******* joke of a world would you ever pwn a coercer with a thrasher again?

AC thashers rarely beat coercers now. The coercers current problem is dying to tracking disruptor dramiels and fast frigates that ab under its guns.

Lets see your fits.

Right now I am hitting about 400 dps with them along with a solid tank and an mwd to help get in range.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#293 - 2012-09-07 14:45:24 UTC
Cearain wrote:
MJ Incognito wrote:

AC thashers rarely beat coercers now. The coercers current problem is dying to tracking disruptor dramiels and fast frigates that ab under its guns.

Lets see your fits.

Right now I am hitting about 400 dps with them along with a solid tank and an mwd to help get in range.

Coercers have always been bad because they can't both move and point..

for some strange reason people have convinced themselves that that means they aren't powerful.. when they are probably the single most powerful dessies in 1v1 combat..

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#294 - 2012-09-07 15:58:16 UTC  |  Edited by: X Gallentius
Cearain wrote:
AC thashers rarely beat coercers now. The coercers current problem is dying to tracking disruptor ...

This is a problem for all destroyers. It takes good piloting of specific fits to take down a td frigate.
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#295 - 2012-09-07 19:10:24 UTC
X Gallentius wrote:
Cearain wrote:
AC thashers rarely beat coercers now. The coercers current problem is dying to tracking disruptor ...

This is a problem for all destroyers. It takes good piloting of specific fits to take down a td frigate.

Pretty much.

I think the coercer had it the worst thogh.

Thrasher has a tracking bonus and it is the fastest destroyer so it had better chances.

Rail corm used to be able to fit either a mwd and web or a ab and td so it could cope a bit. I'm not sure what use a corm will be now. Like I said it seems like it is now clearly a thrasher - only worse.

X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#296 - 2012-09-07 20:41:29 UTC
Cearain wrote:

Thrasher has a tracking bonus and it is the fastest destroyer so it had better chances.

Rail corm used to be able to fit either a mwd and web or a ab and td so it could cope a bit. I'm not sure what use a corm will be now. Like I said it seems like it is now clearly a thrasher - only worse.

Marginally worse. MWD Frig, "TD - Keep at range 18km" is almost all you need to solo all short range destroyers, and many long range dessies not using T2 long range ammo. Not advisable against groups of dessies unless you are really pro pilot.

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#297 - 2012-09-07 21:13:46 UTC
X Gallentius wrote:
Cearain wrote:

Marginally worse. MWD Frig, "TD - Keep at range 18km" is almost all you need to solo all short range destroyers, and many long range dessies not using T2 long range ammo. Not advisable against groups of dessies unless you are really pro pilot.

I bring the t2 long range ammo with my rail corms. I think even some of the rarely used navy ammo can hit to 18 k even when you are disrupted but I am not 100% on that. You should be able to fight most of these kiters off. The danger is if they come in close.

I used to try to kite thrashers with an mwd td arty rifters. But it wasn't easy and cap was an issue. Maybe its easier now with the condors and executioners. It no doubt is easy if you have a loki boost.

YooJin Moon
Clearview Interactions
#298 - 2012-09-11 03:29:09 UTC
Another vote for eliminating the drone bay on the Catalyst and adding another Mid slot...otherwise I'm totally psyched to fly it! The Cat is my favorite "affordable" ship. Drones on a destroyer just doesn't make sense anyway (unless they are torpedo interceptor drones - see below). These are supposed to be gun boats of frightening offensive and defensive capability in a small and nimble package (lots of room for argument here of course but this is my ideal destroyer). Destroyers should be able to equal Cruisers in firepower (DPS) but with more numerous smaller guns/racks for tracking numerous targets simultaneously. Granted they shouldn't be tanked as well as a cruiser but they shouldn't be far off either. These changes would make the destroyer class the most numerous ship in any fleet as it should be. Frigates are for privateers and should be far less common in fleet battles outside of specialized roles.

Wanna' make it interesting? Add an anti-torpedo/bomber capability to the class. Maybe something like the ability to lock onto and eliminate torpedoes/bombs while in flight! Shocked This would add a very traditional role into the destroyer class while adding a much needed and unique capability to all fleet battles.

Anyway...just my craziness shining through! Kudos to the Devs! Keep up the great work.

"We're on a one way elevator to hell!  Goin' down!"

Manssell
OmiHyperMultiNationalDrunksConglomerate
#299 - 2012-09-11 17:25:06 UTC
Friiiiiiiiiiillls! My Vega is back! YEAAAAAAAAAAA Looking better than ever too.

Oh and the rest of that whole ship balancing thing looks bloody good too.
Beast Branded
OGB Investment Solutons
#300 - 2012-09-11 17:43:48 UTC
-1 for Changing the Cormorant slot config.... Caldari Ships as a whole rely on range and Shields to see them through combat... Low slots are used support rest of the fit