These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New modules tooltips ....

First post
Author
Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#41 - 2012-08-08 14:00:28 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:
The tooltip assumes that sometimes you might eg fit three active shield hardeners and not remember which one you happened to put in which HUD slot Smile

The tooltip assumes we're ******* idiots.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

Taranius De Consolville
Doomheim
#42 - 2012-08-08 14:09:54 UTC
Karl Hobb wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:
The tooltip assumes that sometimes you might eg fit three active shield hardeners and not remember which one you happened to put in which HUD slot Smile

If your insecure yes

Its designed for new players, not for vets

Just ask for a button to turn it off

simples tbfh isnt it?

Or would u rather rant some more :)
Cutter Isaacson
DEDSEC SAN FRANCISCO
#43 - 2012-08-08 14:10:25 UTC
Karl Hobb wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:

The tooltips do not assume you are idiots. The whiny responses in this thread proves people are idiots. Imagine you are a new player, you have multiple ammo types for your guns and want to double check your range, or what module is fitted, stuff like that. New players are not idiots, they are just new, so how about people stop whining about every inconceivable thing and get on with playing the game.

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." Elim Garak.

Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#44 - 2012-08-08 14:12:49 UTC
Cutter Isaacson wrote:
The tooltips do not assume you are idiots. The whiny responses in this thread proves people are idiots. Imagine you are a new player, you have multiple ammo types for your guns and want to double check your range, or what module is fitted, stuff like that. New players are not idiots, they are just new, so how about people stop whining about every inconceivable thing and get on with playing the game.

Awesome, let's have an option to compact or remove it. Then we won't have to "whine" anymore about **** looking like Fisher/Price's "My First ******* Spaceship".

marVLs
#45 - 2012-08-08 14:17:33 UTC
They are awesome but a little too big (especially vertical) and need 1second more delay
CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#46 - 2012-08-08 14:17:42 UTC
We have talked this over, and we will add the ability to disable the tooltips.
I hope you guys will still use them, but if you really don´t want them, you will be able to turn them off (so it's new awesome tooltips or no tooltips).

I hope that will work for you guys :)

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#47 - 2012-08-08 14:19:32 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
I hope you guys will still use them, but if you really don´t want them, you will be able to turn them off (so it's new awesome tooltips or no tooltips).

Thank you very much and please excuse the vitriol; this place breeds it.

Shereza
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2012-08-08 14:22:55 UTC
Instead of just an option to disable could you give us something more like a tooltip wait timer so that we can dictate how long they take to show up? That way we could set -1 for them to never show up (or check a box I suppose), 0 for instant tips, and any other more reasonable number for the rest of us.
Voi Lutois
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2012-08-08 14:24:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Voi Lutois
CCP karkur wrote:

yay \o/
Cray47
Doomheim
#50 - 2012-08-08 14:25:36 UTC
Shereza wrote:
Instead of just an option to disable could you give us something more like a tooltip wait timer so that we can dictate how long they take to show up? That way we could set -1 for them to never show up (or check a box I suppose), 0 for instant tips, and any other more reasonable number for the rest of us.

or a mousover with hot-key, like: shift + mouseover would show the tooltip.

[u]Hi[/u]

Agrapena
Cloaked Goof
Goonswarm Federation
#51 - 2012-08-08 14:32:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Agrapena
+1 for option to disable. I like the idea and give CCP a +1 for it but for us older players, well, some of us just don't need it.

I will not use them, seems more of a hindrance to me.
Wintersage
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#52 - 2012-08-08 14:35:08 UTC
Taranius De Consolville wrote:

2. it is not offensive, i often forget what mods ive got on a ship when im out in it alot

Heh. And I thought I had short-term memory issues. Roll
Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2012-08-08 14:36:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Aruken Marr
CCP karkur wrote:

Don't worry I'll still use them :3

(I think people may be forgetting that the actual ranges of weapons + different ammo types isn't so intuitive to find out without these new pop ups)
Il Reverendo
Forty Two
#54 - 2012-08-08 14:36:44 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:

Nice one.

I do find it a little odd though that you left it out in the first place and then felt the need to talk it over, when it's fairly obvious that the first thing a large section of the populace will do upon encountering tool tips everywhere the second you move the cursor over stuff is to try and turn them off...........and that's without taking into account the level of whiney entitlement of the average eve player (yes, i'm including myself here) and expectation that it should be possible to disable pretty much everything.
CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#55 - 2012-08-08 14:38:20 UTC
more talking... we are also planning on adding more delay (not sure how much).... I'm about to start making those changes :)

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2012-08-08 14:38:53 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
more talking... we are also planning on adding more delay (not sure how much).... I'm about to start making those changes :)

Oh god dont add delay PLEASE. I like instant info.
Roime
Shiva Furnace
#57 - 2012-08-08 14:39:41 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:

Yes it will :) thank you very much!

Takeshi Yamato
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#58 - 2012-08-08 14:40:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Takeshi Yamato
May I suggest a slider with the following options for the new tooltips:

off - 1 sec delay - 0.5 sec delay - no delay

I don't need tooltips in most cases, but they are very handy when being tracking disrupted or to do a quick check on crystal damage. So I would set this slider to 1 second delay.
Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#59 - 2012-08-08 14:41:20 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:

More delay would actually be just as good, IMO. One of the things I hate about the tooltips is they "seem" to obscure right-clicking even though they actually don't in practice. It's like a mental, artificial pause when I go to right-click a module. While the information is welcome, the intrusion is not.

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2012-08-08 14:41:50 UTC
The tool tips are fine, stop bitching. It's not like they are always on screen, the box goes when you move your mouse.