These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Upcoming Tutorial Revisions

First post First post First post
Author
Tlat Ij
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#181 - 2012-08-01 15:39:21 UTC
A couple things I noticed while running through the tutorial:

1. I managed to finish the mission that gave me the Armor Repairer before I had finished training the skill by about 50 seconds, so when I tried to fit the armor rep it didn't work and it took me a second to figure out why. While new players might not be able to get through the tutorial that quickly some might, so having something in the tutorial mentioning that may help.

2. For 18: Interstellar Travel the system I was told to go to was different than the one shown in the tutorial. That could easily confuse a new player who would expect to go to the system shown in the tutorial.
Alastar Frost
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#182 - 2012-08-01 17:45:36 UTC
maybe it would be good to have special skillbooks for the tutorials that almost instantly give that skill. (like 10 sec training time left). this should only work for level 1 of the skill and only for the basic skills you get from the tutorials.

Yes, this would save new players (and alts) a few hours of training time if they play through the tutorial and use those special books, but why not? If that is limited to the basic skills and level 1, i dont see much chance to abuse that. Even if players farm the tutorials for those books and sell them to alts, its not that much time you save.
Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
Masters of Flying Objects
#183 - 2012-08-01 18:26:17 UTC
Rerunning the NPE today a couple things stood out.

Green lines are fixed Lol Still there are gaps between the line and the object circle.

But the inventory needs either a close inventory line in the NPE before you warp off or a line about resizing it so players know they can adjust the interfaces, after the first mission is complete.

Its just odd that if you dock with the inventory open worse if you resize it. The item hanger just pops up center screen before you get told to open it.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#184 - 2012-08-01 19:29:20 UTC
Quote:
we can get a really good text-to-speech implementation (which we are actively looking at)

Yes you can!

http://www.ivona.com/us/
SillyWaif
#185 - 2012-08-01 21:44:28 UTC  |  Edited by: SillyWaif
Hi,

Maybe I missed it while skimming all the posts but how can we turn OFF the new tooltips? Question

For a n00b it looks fancy and maybe it is useful for other players but for me its a on-off flickering BIG piece of game real estate with info i don't need nor want. I run missions most of my time and when i can lock a target I can hit it too.
It doesn't add anything. What?

Edit: Stating the obvious: I am a missile spewing CaldariAttention
Ytamii Arval
#186 - 2012-08-02 05:17:42 UTC
A way to disable tooltips is long overdue. It took less than two minutes before I found these huge new ones intolerable. Frankly, I can't play this game with such an extreme annoyance. To have those big boxes constantly popping up during combat is unthinkable distraction.

Much like the unified UI, this isn't something I will get used to over time; rather, it's something that gets more annoying each time I see it. I find zero value in them, as in no useful info whatsoever. But that's tangential: I don't want them to become informative; I just want them gone. A long adjustable delay (long meaning at least 3 seconds) might be tolerable, but really I want them off.

The other changes look great.

I was hoping to see some of the promised iteration on the unified UI; you'd think after playing this game for six years I'd know better. Roll
CCP Sisyphus
C C P
C C P Alliance
#187 - 2012-08-02 10:54:33 UTC
Bagrat Skalski wrote:

Oh lord that is classic. Hours of entertainment with strange voices.

I love getting the foreign languages to read out english :)

CCP Sisyphus | Team TriLambda | Team Klang | @CCP_Sisyphus

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#188 - 2012-08-02 12:12:38 UTC
Huh. That Ivona's pretty good.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

zxsteel
#189 - 2012-08-02 14:52:27 UTC
Your best fight to teach new players, not in game voices, but Videos that are 2 mins long and make a short area of them. make it short and sweet.

PS not all of us like to read, we do like listening and picture books! ShockedLol
Sandy fr
Radium.
Now You're Gone
#190 - 2012-08-04 00:45:17 UTC
are u blind ccp ?
may be.. more translation languages will help (YOU) new players
i saw many french(1) ppl who left because they didn't understand the tutorial AND the game too

ho wait... in my "pareto" majority of them left in the part 1 to 4...just when the game start
./o\ mother of languages...

(1) replace this langauge by something not US/RU/DE/JP
Mirielle Asaki
Signal Cartel
EvE-Scout Enclave
#191 - 2012-08-04 08:03:27 UTC
I recently ( = a few months back) ran a new character through the NPE and the career paths. It was pretty illuminating to see the questions in the Help channel (and I think in Local?) from totally lost new players. It might be an idea to have *all* the devs take an hour a week (month?) to forcably sit in those channels and read what comes by.

I like what you've changed thus far, and a month is a very short time in software development. Good job!

Some small suggestions to improve things even more:

• Integrating the *full stop* and *max speed* buttons visually with the spped bar would help a lot with recognising their function. Reusing the forum First and Last button images could help as well.
  • About Captains Quarters: having it helps making people realise that their ship isn't the character (also, new players just spend time on getting their avatar "just right" in the character designer). What might help is either removing the button that suggests you can get out of the Captains Quarters (the one mentioning the toxic atmosphere in the station), or replacing/modifying the text to make it perfectly clear nothing more is implemented at this time.
  • Starting to move your ship also seems to be a point of confusion. Star Trek Online (if I remember correctly) just uses WASD style controls, so people used to any other MMO (and to walking around in ground missions there) just naturally start moving. Which is not "the EVE way", I know, and changing/adding something like that is probably well beyond a development sprint of a single month. Curious to see what you've come up with for this.
  • I would suggest keeping the Aura voice-over for flavour bits in the tutorial. Even if it's just for highlighting particular spots along the journey (the start, the end, and perhaps a few "well done" and "WTF" moments). Having her voice adds a lot of flavour.

Let's hope this will keep more people to actually start playing!
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#192 - 2012-08-04 17:10:15 UTC
how about the enhance the tactical overlay to be used as a tool to help new players...

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#193 - 2012-08-05 03:07:44 UTC
It might be useful to have a tutorial on movement pop up as soon as the game gets a WASD keypress from a new player in space.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#194 - 2012-08-05 06:31:01 UTC
A suggestion for the "STOP" and "FULL SPEED" functions on the HUD:

Draw a "button" shape around that + and - so that they look like buttons and not just graphic scenery.
gk0r
Mercenary Intentions
#195 - 2012-08-06 09:26:58 UTC
Epic changes, thank you CCP for looking at the 'basics' and re-evaluating and re-thinking these concepts.

Top 3 things I liked:

• New contextual menu. I love the simplification that reduces the annoying mouse-overs. I love how visually engaging and separated each portion of that right-click contextual navigation is.
  • Module tooltips are incredible. Yay!
  • Warp changes off HUD - once again, no more annoying mouse hover overs or clicking the overview.

Great work, I am very excited.
Maratega
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#196 - 2012-08-06 16:32:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Maratega
The Agent Mission panel need to display the mission STATUS: complete with a GREEN flag!
STATUS incomplete: RED cross
And display the other thing: looted mission item in cargohold - green flag! or red cross.

We dont want all the clickfest, we just want to kill - green flag - go home!

listen to players!
Thorian Crystal
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#197 - 2012-08-07 08:18:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Thorian Crystal
Have you already fixed the overview? There is no point trying to teach how it works when it doesn't even work. I mean, there is at least the bug where if you add something to the overview, it gets added to all of the tabs instead of the tab you want to add it to.

And where are the horizontal scroll bars?
Leemi Sobo
#198 - 2012-08-09 12:42:59 UTC
this looks pretty awesome Shocked
last time i played the tutorial back in 2005 was like

1. undock
  2. turn camera
  3. fly to station turret
  4. warp to complex
  5. shoot npc
  6. fly a bit
  7. shoot another npc
  8. warp to next pocket
  9. mine 100 veldspar
  10. warp to station + dock
  11. refine veldspar
  12. give the agent tritanium
  13. get item from agent
  14. undock
  15. go to neighbor system
  16. dock at station
  17. unload cargo
  18. DONE

after this "tutorial" i had 6000 ISK and 56000 or so skillpoints and knew EVERYTHING about the game Bear

how are the chances that veterans can finally learn how to play the game with the new tutorial ? Lol

greetings Leemi
Tanaka Aiko
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#199 - 2012-08-09 15:25:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Tanaka Aiko
wanted to try on an existing character, but there's something wrong :
* you can't click on "aura" or other highlighted button on the text to open a show info
* it does not say WHERE do we begin
sure, a noob should be on where he spawn (while us can find it by searching on people and place), but what if a real noob cancelled the tutorial and wanted to come back to it 30mn later when he got 5 jumps away and is totally lost ?

i do it sometime on games ; wanting to check a bit before doing tutorial, and i'm sure i'm not alone doing that.

you should also make a link when you talke about the noob channel ; the noob may close it by mistake, and i remember i didn't knew at all how to reopen a channel when i was noob.
and he won't know the channel will reopen by itself when you log on again in your first month.

i began to try it, and if there's lots of good things, you don't talk enough about using the overview, i remmber you said people liked right clicking, but you never tell them you can do the same things with your selected item overview :/

also i like how it's written "this ship poses no immediate threat" when we show info a rokh ! sure this one is on our side but, not sure a noob will understand that... he may think this ship type itself pose no threat to his noobship :P

also, there's no need to open the mission pannel ; the new UI of 1.2 allow the noob to set destination, warp and so on from it, it's easier this way.

OMG i have finished the tutorial, but this thing refuse to stop ! if i try to close it it reopen, and blink -_-
i was forced to log off... and in fact the button get back on >_<
Skippermonkey
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#200 - 2012-08-29 11:38:22 UTC
CCP Greyscale wrote:
[Reserved]

A month later and still nothing entered in your post

admit it, you just wanted to be first

Blink

COME AT ME BRO

I'LL JUST BE DOCKED IN THIS STATION