These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Drake and Hurricane rebalancing

Author
Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#61 - 2012-07-27 12:48:21 UTC
Then what about Cruise Missiles? And Torpedoes? They are generally inferior (especially Torpedoes) to HMs and HAMs in most situations.

Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

Denuo Secus
#62 - 2012-07-27 12:56:24 UTC
Tor Gungnir wrote:
Then what about Cruise Missiles? And Torpedoes? They are generally inferior (especially Torpedoes) to HMs and HAMs in most situations.

Indeed, that's why they need a buff. Seriously. Cruise Ravens are very situational - barely relevant in small scale or fleet PvP. Torp Ravens are heavily dependant on support to work.

HMs are the working long range missile system. With advantages and disadvantages. Still some people moan about them.
Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#63 - 2012-07-27 13:20:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Tor Gungnir
Denuo Secus wrote:
Tor Gungnir wrote:

Indeed, that's why they need a buff. Seriously. Cruise Ravens are very situational - barely relevant in small scale or fleet PvP. Torp Ravens are heavily dependant on support to work.

HMs are the working long range missile system. With advantages and disadvantages. Still some people moan about them.

Disadvantages such as....? Regardless of disadvantages, the advantages are just too great.

Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

Denuo Secus
#64 - 2012-07-27 13:32:18 UTC
Tor Gungnir wrote:
Denuo Secus wrote:
Tor Gungnir wrote:

Disadvantages such as....?

(1) low damage at range against targets smaller they are intended for
(2) low damage at range against fast targets
(3) when solo/small gang: not able to finish targets at optimal range very quickly
(4) need support or webs/TPs fitted itself to address point 1, 2 and 3
(5) ...which weakens tanks on shield tanked ships
(6) travel time (only an issue in bigger, mixed fleets)

Tor Gungnir wrote:
...Regardless of disadvantages, the advantages are just too great.

Not in every situation. As said, HMs are perfect for current fleet doctrines maybe. Also in some small scale scenarios. What makes them very common. But in small scale PvP I prefer pure, raw turret damage and the ability to maximize that damage by piloting...sometimes.
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#65 - 2012-07-27 14:00:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Bouh Revetoile
Denuo Secus wrote:

*comparison between HML, a long range weapon, with pulse, a short range weapon*

Thank you very much, you just prove my point : HML compare with short range turret, not with long range turret. Because, as I said, they have better damage than long range turret even when they use short range ammo ; and LARGE turret are better than HML only when they can outrange them ! With LONG range turret, the window to blap a frigate is *extremely* thin ; I would say non existant infact, because you rely only on a pilot mistake. And then, you are *doomed* because of a single frigate.

So here is the problem : HML compare decently to short range turret, but hit at long range turret range.

PS : if you want raw damage, you want HAM, not HML. HML have long range, that's why they have not so crazy damage. The whole idea of comparing HML to close range turret is a joke.
Cpt Branko
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#66 - 2012-07-27 14:06:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Cpt Branko
Tor Gungnir wrote:

Torpedoes inferior? Did something drastically change while I was away, because last I recall plated torp Typhoons worked very well for close-range BS slugfesting. Well, Ravens and such too if you did not mind it being a shield BS. I mean, obv. it's not going to work in blobs, but when you are fighting other battleships in hugging range, Torps work damn well.

Cruises are mostly pointless, though.

HMLs are awesome because they have the range to work in blobs... and other long range weapon systems either cannot be fitted to their racial battlecruisers (Harbinger/Brutix), or actually can be fitted but are inferior from 30km to the remainder of lock range (arties). Plus, you get some actual EHP with a Drake.

I mean, when you compare it with other cruiser-sized long range turrets it's not that bad, since arties compare decently* to them (read, arties are better under, say, 30km although they have a harder time at hitting frigs but this isn't really relevant in gang), and rails and beams would maybe in theory be okay if you could actually FIT them to the BCs bonused for such guns (Brutix/Harbinger) which you cannot without excessive use of fitting mods.

*Ofc, the bigger the gang, the more important range is over a bit of dps.
Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#67 - 2012-07-27 14:08:28 UTC
Jack Miton wrote:
CCP are on the case re ship balancing so you can stop bringing it up.
That said, other ships should be improved, not the good ones nerfed.

The /thread ^ was 4 pages ago.
Denuo Secus
#68 - 2012-07-27 14:20:44 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
Denuo Secus wrote:

*comparison between HML, a long range weapon, with pulse, a short range weapon*

Thank you very much, you just prove my point : HML compare with short range turret, not with long range turret. Because, as I said, they have better damage than long range turret even when they use short range ammo...

Granted, HMs are more common on Drakes than HAMs. One reason for that are the issues with HAMs I mentioned. HMs tend to be more flexible against targets they are not perfect for. HAMs are much more specialized against medium ships and above. This flexibility makes HMs a better choice over HAMs often. Long range turrets are much more specialized here.

Bouh Revetoile wrote:
...With LONG range turret, the window to blap a frigate is *extremely* thin ; I would say non existant infact, because you rely only on a pilot mistake. And then, you are *doomed* because of a single frigate.

Only if solo. As soon as two long range turret ships come into play it's possible to have at least one of it in a good position to do full damage to even smallest targets. As far as I know (from the forums) exactly this was done with titans before their recent change. When well positioned on the battle field even XL turrets can blap smaller targets.

Again: missiles just cannot do this. This one a price they pay for better damage projection.

Bouh Revetoile wrote:
So here is the problem : HML compare decently to short range turret, but hit at long range turret range.

After all one could say damage wise it's maybe like:

short range turret > short range missile > long range missile > long range turret

Despite their lower absolute damage long range turrets have advantages in other aspects: instant damage + at least the ability to hit smaller targets with full damage.
Denuo Secus
#69 - 2012-07-27 14:21:14 UTC
Jake Warbird wrote:
Jack Miton wrote:
CCP are on the case re ship balancing so you can stop bringing it up.
That said, other ships should be improved, not the good ones nerfed.

The /thread ^ was 4 pages ago.

Also, this ^
Tor Gungnir
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#70 - 2012-07-27 14:24:39 UTC
Cpt Branko wrote:
Tor Gungnir wrote:

Torpedoes inferior? Did something drastically change while I was away, because last I recall plated torp Typhoons worked very well for close-range BS slugfesting. Well, Ravens and such too if you did not mind it being a shield BS. I mean, obv. it's not going to work in blobs, but when you are fighting other battleships in hugging range, Torps work damn well.

Torpedoes are generally only effective on ships designed to field them and even so they are only good vs. Battleships and bigger. In comparison to both Rockets and HAMs that is just such a severe limitation!

A Tengu with HAMs can take on any ship of virtually any size*

*Maybe not an Interceptor....

Cpt Branko
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#71 - 2012-07-27 21:11:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Cpt Branko
Tor Gungnir wrote:

Torpedoes are generally only effective on ships designed to field them and even so they are only good vs. Battleships and bigger. In comparison to both Rockets and HAMs that is just such a severe limitation!

A Tengu with HAMs can take on any ship of virtually any size*

Well, yes and no. In a smallish BS closerange gang, there are going to be other turret ships which can shoot ships below BC size more effectively. You contribute even vs those by virtue of having a painter, a neut, and drones. However, for pure in-webrange BS melting, the Typhoon is great. Raven I can't say, because I never flew Caldari and it's a shield BS. You deliver lots of selectable damage type DPS which hits for maximum effect in webrange, no tracking losses, on top of a BS which is quite cheap and has solid EHP.

I mean, in a teorethical solo situation, the complaint has merit, but I don't see anything but Tempest and Dominix out of T1 hulls being used to realistically solo, since turret BS have quite bad tracking issues vs small hulls even with one neut and web. In practice, being able to apply full DPS only to shield BCs and battleships isn't such a big issue.

Cruises, on the other hand, are trash.

Though, we are digressing from the subject, which is Drakes and Hurricanes. And my suggestion would be, boost the fitting of the Harbinger and the Brutix (Myrmidon is not a gunboat, as-is) so they can fit beams and rails, perhaps with one ACR to fit toptier + MWD + LSE, the same sacrifice a Hurricane has to make to fit 720s (and the Drake doesn't). Maybe it is not enough to dethrone the Drake (it probably isn't), but it would at least enable two races to actually use their ranged guns properly.
Soon Shin
Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
#72 - 2012-07-27 21:44:51 UTC
The Heavy missiles of a drake can be speed/sig tanked using Afterburner or small sig.

Firewall Battleships are an excellent counter to drake. Drake has a very specific weakness.

A hurricane however is a different story.

A hurricane can easily destroy frigs, destroyers, cruisers, drones, anything below a hurricane is easy kills for it(other than perhaps recons and tech 3's).

Taking a Frigate against a hurricane is virtually suicide.

With tracking enhancers, a hurricane can easily reach scorch range of pulse lasers with barrage and have better tracking.

Even interceptors with bonused point range are in trouble by hurricanes.

Staying at range makes you an easy target as the guns can then easily track you.

Getting close is dangerous as well, the hurricane can pack double webs and/or double neuts to render a frigate completely helpless.

Not to mention its dps is high for everything it can do. It is too versatile of a ship.

Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#73 - 2012-07-27 22:18:29 UTC
Soon Shin wrote:
The Heavy missiles of a drake can be speed/sig tanked using Afterburner or small sig.

Firewall Battleships are an excellent counter to drake. Drake has a very specific weakness.

A hurricane can easily destroy frigs, destroyers, cruisers, drones, anything below a hurricane is easy kills for it(other than perhaps recons and tech 3's).

With tracking enhancers, a hurricane can easily reach scorch range of pulse lasers with barrage and have better tracking.

Staying at range makes you an easy target as the guns can then easily track you.

Getting close is dangerous as well, the hurricane can pack double webs and/or double neuts to render a frigate completely helpless.

Not to mention its dps is high for everything it can do. It is too versatile of a ship.

This pretty much

TomyLobo
U2EZ
#74 - 2012-07-28 00:03:32 UTC
Soon Shin wrote:

I don't mean to be rude but you should stop posting, seriously.
Soon Shin
Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
#75 - 2012-07-28 01:18:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Soon Shin
TomyLobo wrote:
Soon Shin wrote:

Says that guy who barely PVP's.

Go back to carebearing.

Oh and nice Maelstrom fit:

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=13845363
Noisrevbus
#76 - 2012-07-28 02:08:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Noisrevbus
Lili Lu wrote:

Fit a cane, or a Harby, or a Myrm, that can put out 350 to 400 dps at 70km and either tank around 100k ehp or perma mwd instead then. Then talk about how he's blurting. Frankly your posts are tiresome because you keep harping on about the blob and cost efficiency being the cause of the drake phenomenon and ignore the fitting and module differences which when combined with ship bonuses allow Drake fleets to flourish and not Myrmidon or Harby fleets.

If you paid attention you would have seen by now that the "module differences" is part of the argument. No one is denying that a Drake is awesome at sitting still, recieving reps and projecting reliable damage to 80km. That's what it does. That however is only really useful in a situation when you don't have to move, tackle, break tanks or so forth. It's part of the blob problem, because once you get enough ships to easily break through a buffer and dominate grid-control over your opponents it doesn't matter if your burst, control or utility is relatively poor.

Quote:
Similarly, Drakes are preferred in smaller scale engagements not just blob fleets for all the same reasons. Few people like to fly high damage, close range, glass cannons. You tend to get primaried that way and miss out on kills. Far more poeple like to sit in a beefy tank and plunk away from a safe(r) range. Drakes are used more than the other BCs in small gang stuff just as they are puffed in numerical usage by CFC (and other alliances) blobs.

Since when is the stupidity of players an issue to balance the game around? It's part of the "popularity discussion". You're not raising a single valid argument here. "People prefer", "people like to", "safe distance". That has nothing to do with actual balance. I don't care about the hearts and minds of other players, popularity is not something you should balance the game around.

Quote:
Seems to me your exageration is bourne out of fear. You must be quite attached to your Drakes even though you profess not to be. Also, the popularity is indicative of it's unique abilities in its class, which are yes, shooting far with adequate dps at range while sporting an acceptable tank to benefit from logi support. Eve players must be stupid and gravitate toward making a bad or simply equal ship so popular if we follow your logic. No they are not stupid, and have gravitated toward a ship that is out of balance possessing unique features which make it a better choice.

You are both right and wrong here. First up. I do have some fear, given recent track records of balance i think it's only fair to have a certain degree of scepticism. I am also quite attached to Drakes, but not in the manner you allude. I am fond of them as targets. I enjoy flying ships that are good against them and as with other bi-effects of recent changes i fear for today impopular ships falling more and more into obscurity or actual imbalance. Remove a target pool and you will inadvertently nerf another, unforseen, ship.

If you paid attention to my posts you would recognize that argument as well. How Tier 3 BC overbalanced the buffs to certain Gallente ships with crucible or many other LR ships and mid-buffer ships that were Drake-counters by themselves. The list was long. How the range slaughter of the Falcon did more to ruin the Cerberus and so on. So yes, i have a certain fear of hasty changes with poorly calculated effects, that leave the game with less. Balancing the game with only fleet scale (which is not known for variety, but for buffer and projection) in mind is highly detrimental.

Secondly. It's not the most amiable way of putting it, but yes, people are gravitating toward simplicity. It's part of the cost-effect and number scaling discussion. It promotes simplistic large-scale organisation and strategy. In some situations that simplicity border into stupidity. Saying the community is "stupid" is a harsh generalisation though, but there are definately some standpoints when you discuss ship balance on the EVE forums that are downright stupid. Equating popularity and balance is one of them. Looking at the game from a hegemony of "i have more ships and push you off grid" is another.

At the end of the day, good groups continue to field other ships to beat Drakes at all scales. That only cease to exist well into gangs of 100's and wars of attrition. The only real issue with the Drake is that it's almost pointless attempting to kill one, because the damage you inflict compared to the risk you take is so minimal. I'm talking damage in ISK, not that the tank would be untolerable superior in any way. Pointless kills or losses go against the hardcore cornerstone of EVE. At the moment the cost-effect of all BC (and the Drake in particular, with scaling in mind) is damn near that breaking point. That is really the only issue with the ship and class though.

If you dislike me being repetetive, maybe you should stop posting in Drake/Cane/BC whine threads. I'm not the one making them. I'm only responding to tired non-arguments with riposte. It must be frustrating seeing actual arguments and concerns raised against the disgruntled croaks though. I can sympathize with that. Likewise i can understand that it's frustrating when only seeing the game from a BC and large scale perspective.

Quote:
The only thing I agree with you is that the blob sucks. Propose some ideas and mechanics to the devs on how you would dissuade 700 ship coalition multi-fleets then

I have mentioned my preferences of dealing with that many times. Click my name and start tracking posts. In the meantime i'm doing my best to dissuade stupidity and empty statements regarding the balance of ships from people who's grasp of how balance interact in this game is not further than what's right in front of them. The kind of people who thinks the Drake is OP only because it can buffer and project mediocrity en masse.
TomyLobo
U2EZ
#77 - 2012-07-28 07:28:42 UTC
Soon Shin wrote:
TomyLobo wrote:
Soon Shin wrote:

Says that guy who barely PVP's.

Go back to carebearing.

Oh and nice Maelstrom fit:

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=13845363

I know you were trying really hard to prove a point and that's totally fine but you should take your time when analyzing data before jumping into conclusions.
I'll help you a bit here. Look at the total cost of modules dropped and crosscheck it with the list.
Takeshi Yamato
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#78 - 2012-07-28 08:40:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Takeshi Yamato
Soon Shin wrote:

Autocannons + Tracking Enhancers + Barrage = death to frigates, even interceptors.

This doesn't make any sense. Minmatar ships can outrun all other ships of their class but should be countered by faster, smaller ships that can negate their speed advantage. Yet tackling minmatar cruiser/battlecruiser hull in a frigate is a lot more dangerous than anything else.
Cpt Branko
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#79 - 2012-07-28 11:43:43 UTC
Soon Shin wrote:

Other BCs can kill a Hurricane depending on fits and situations. Ships below BC don't normally kill BC. Ships below BS don't normally kill BS. Ships below cruisers don't normally kill cruisers. Etcetera. Some ships are the exception in that they are going to get killed by smaller ships if solo, but that only results in nobody flying those ships solo, outside of safe scenarios.

Soon Shin wrote:

Same with Rupture, Vexor, Arbitrator, Thorax, Brutix, Drake, Cyclone, Myrmidon, Ferox and just about any solo fit bc, hac, cruiser or whatever you want. They are fit to be able to kill frigates or they are not flown.

Soon Shin wrote:

they can have dual webs

Hah... yes, at vastly reduced damage compared to using scorch with lasers or using HMLs on Drake, or using artillery. And no, you can't have dual webs and TEs, unless your buffer is a single DC. A plate fit has, potentially, dual webs. It is also not a very good ranged ship. A shieldfit Hurricane with ACs is far inferior to shieldfit Harbinger / nano Drake at scorch ranges.

I'm not sure whether you are whining about the Hurricane or want to kill any ship with a frig.
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#80 - 2012-07-28 14:52:12 UTC
TomyLobo wrote:

You do mean to be rude because you're wrong and obviously just trolling.

Cane is busted for all the reasons posted above.