These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Is ganking PvP?

Author
Abel Merkabah
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#41 - 2012-07-21 14:20:26 UTC
Ms Kat wrote:
This game being marketed as a PvP game is just a joke!

In my mind PvP is where both sides have a equal chance of winning a fight. There is actualy skill involved etc.

Now eve pvp consists of spying, lieing and exploiting game mechaics to tip the balance in your direction. Then Hiding when the advantage isnt yours.

The game has no skill - other than who has jumped through ccp's hoops the longest and trained more sp's. Or maybe the guy who has EFT'd the longest and figured out a good ship fit

You are not seeing the big picture. Each player is given the same tools; so the game is on even ground; it's each individual's right to chose the tools they want to use in game. So perfectly fair for all sides in an engagement.

You are focusing on individual tactics instead of larger picture, if you chose to fight when the advantage isn't yours, out of some sense of e-honor (excluding for fun gudfights), then you are the problem, in the big picture, knowing when to fight and when not to fight is probably one of the best skills to have. And I'm not pretending to have this skill, if you look at my KB, I pick fights with stuff I shouldn't on a regular basis, and lose ships for it. But I'm not interested in the larger picture "win" of eve, I just want to see things burn.

James315 for CSM 8!

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#42 - 2012-07-21 14:25:16 UTC
Since both parties were players and since no exploits are involved, yes. Of course it is.
Josef Djugashvilis
#43 - 2012-07-21 14:25:50 UTC
Ganking miners is to pvp as street mugging old ladies is to street gang violence.

This is not a signature.

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#44 - 2012-07-21 14:31:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Benny Ohu
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Ganking miners is to pvp as street mugging old ladies is to street gang violence.

Pensioner Versus Playa

e: thought of a better one
Jimmy Gunsmythe
Sebiestor Tribe
#45 - 2012-07-21 14:50:32 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:

let me sort it by relevance:

highly relevant:

suicide ganking
blob warfare

absolutely irrelevant:

wulfpax/small gangs/whatever

Well-spoken. Of course, not a surprising sentiment.

Richard Desturned wrote:
The ganker is always a player. The miner, on the other hand...

Tippia wrote:
Since both parties were players and since no exploits are involved, yes. Of course it is.

Um, so are they both players or aren't they?

In the strictest definition, ganking would fit because it is one player pitting himself against another player, thus Player versus Player. However, the glory and respect gained is usually minimal because there is no challenge or real risk involved. Yes, one will lose the ship and modules, of course, but the risk I speak of is that of failure. That risk should always be assumed by the attacker, not the defender (the defender has his own risk quotient dependent upon his own activity), and because that risk is minimal in that regard, it is unbalanced PvP to say the least.

That said, it is a tricky balancing act. I support the right to gank, and I support the right to mine. Actually, I support most every activity within the game, so I can see the viewpoint of most everyone involved.

John Hancock

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#46 - 2012-07-21 15:42:19 UTC
Responding to the OP:

Yes, it is player vs player, unless there is a bot involved. Then it is a public service.

Also, if you fit for tank in anything higher than a .6 (maybe a .7), there is no way without the "bounties" to gank profitably (not including fun to be had as revenue).

Also, ganks can be avoided. Mining aligned (which works unless you jet can mine, then your SOL) will make you nearly unkillable. You can warp off before the ganker would drop out of warp (with enough time to check ship type for common gank ships, no reason to warp off because of another miner... usually).
Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#47 - 2012-07-21 15:53:59 UTC
Jimmy Gunsmythe wrote:

did it go right over your head?

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#48 - 2012-07-21 16:03:05 UTC
Jimmy Gunsmythe wrote:

Richard Desturned wrote:
The ganker is always a player. The miner, on the other hand...

Tippia wrote:

The implication being that there are bot miners, so there is a chance when ganking that you are not shooting a player, but a bot. in which case it is not PvP.

A public service, but not PvP.
MinefieldS
1 Sick Duck Standss on something
#49 - 2012-07-21 18:19:59 UTC
Krysta Bourne wrote:
Ganking is to PvP as Mike Tyson beating up the 3rd grade cripple is to boxing.

Ganking miners is like poaching deer
Wardeccing miners is like hunting deer with a permit
PvP is like going on a safari in Africa armed only with a knife

Mike Tyson beating up the 3rd grade cripple is what CONCORD does.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#50 - 2012-07-21 18:23:56 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
DarkAegix wrote:
Tiers of PVP
Elite tier:
Solo PVP
Small gang PVP

Medium tier:
Gate camping

Low tier:
"Solo" PVP with Falcon alt
Blob warfare

Coward tier:
"It's hot drop o'clock!"

**** tier:
Suicide ganking

let me sort it by relevance:

highly relevant:

suicide ganking
blob warfare

absolutely irrelevant:

wulfpax/small gangs/whatever

I guess your parents are pretty proud that you're "relevant" in a video game.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Commit Sudoku
Perkone
Caldari State
#51 - 2012-07-21 19:46:27 UTC
my father disowned me after he found out i play eve
Katalci
Kismesis
#52 - 2012-07-21 19:53:40 UTC
PvP -- Player versus Player

Since miners/mission runners are not real players, no.
Ginseng Jita
PAN-EVE TRADING COMPANY
#53 - 2012-07-21 19:54:32 UTC
Yes, absolutely.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#54 - 2012-07-21 19:57:46 UTC
resource denial ftw!

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#55 - 2012-07-21 19:59:09 UTC
Jimmy Gunsmythe wrote:

In the strictest definition, ganking would fit because it is one player pitting himself against another player, thus Player versus Player. However, the glory and respect gained is usually minimal because there is no challenge or real risk involved. Yes, one will lose the ship and modules, of course, but the risk I speak of is that of failure. That risk should always be assumed by the attacker, not the defender (the defender has his own risk quotient dependent upon his own activity), and because that risk is minimal in that regard, it is unbalanced PvP to say the least.

That said, it is a tricky balancing act. I support the right to gank, and I support the right to mine. Actually, I support most every activity within the game, so I can see the viewpoint of most everyone involved.

There is this trick miners can pull but its not all that well known. Its called fitting a tank.
Pipa Porto
#56 - 2012-07-21 20:08:36 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Jimmy Gunsmythe wrote:

There is this trick miners can pull but its not all that well known. Its called fitting a tank.

Or Flying aligned (webbed or otherwise).
Or watching D-Scan.
Or having a friend in a Nado sitting there (though this requires you to fit some tank as well).

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

Jax Bederen
Dark Horse RM
#57 - 2012-07-21 20:46:16 UTC
Let just say it's Eve pvp, similar to jokers in pvp fits going into a mission and trying to bait a pve fit to fight or the small army vs 1 gate camps. I don't see any sense of triumph from this unless you really have little else in your life. As far as hulks, they did deserve it when not even trying to have some defense, but meh, it's still just shooting ducks in a barrel.
EvEa Deva
Doomheim
#58 - 2012-07-21 21:11:34 UTC
Miner ganking is PvP as much as Mike Tyson vs Betty White is a Boxing match
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#59 - 2012-07-21 21:38:36 UTC
Teinyhr wrote:
Arkon Olacar wrote:

So by your (faulty carebear) logic, gate camps, small gangs attacking single targets, and solo PvPers picking on an outclassed ship are all fairly low forms of PvP, with 'zilch' glory to be won? Maybe you should tell these space-hipsters, who are currently furiously stoking their e-peens, while shouting out "Large fleet warfare is so mainstream" in the vain hope someone will notice them.

No (and yes), no aaand - no. There's a difference fighting something that can bite you back and something that is only dangerous to space rocks. I'm just tired of seeing people thumping their chests on destroying a mining ship, fitted like a mining ship, like they were the gods of PvP.

Then stop destroying those poor, innocent asteroids. They can't fit a tank or warp away from a mining ships. You can say we're picking on the weak all you like, but we're acually protecting the weakest species in all of EVE.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Josef Djugashvilis
#60 - 2012-07-21 22:08:40 UTC
Commit Sudoku wrote:
my father disowned me after he found out i play eve

Mine just laughs at me , and tells me to act my age and stop playing kids games.

This is not a signature.