These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Gate Camping (Choke Entry Points) Discourages entering LoSec/Null

Author
Rain King
Playing Alone Sucks
#161 - 2012-07-16 23:21:53 UTC
One thing Goons like is newbies. Gotta give them that one wihtout a doubt.
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#162 - 2012-07-16 23:22:49 UTC
What wonderful piles of bs being spewed in this thread.

People want easy kills on clueless noobs, what better place to get them.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Tarsus Zateki
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#163 - 2012-07-16 23:29:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarsus Zateki
Sentamon wrote:

If those newbies banded together they would be a rather frightening force. My first fleet combat action years ago was busting up a 3rd Front Alliance gate camp on the Reblier gate in 6-C. Twenty newbies in frigates most of us didn't have the skills to adequately fly took out a Megathron. The camp scattered leaving five of us still in ships. I had no idea what was going on other than things were exploding and I was orbiting this really big ship and shooting lasers. The exhilaration high afterwards was pretty incredible. Combat results back then were still measured in raw numbers rather that ship values so 3FA chest beat that it was their victory, but two week old newbies in with a fleet worth a fraction of that Megathron held the gate in the end.

I wish we had the fancy killboards we have today back then so that battle could be immortalized.

Newbies when properly motivated and mentored are dangerous, just ask Shrike or Malaku (Kill that rifter! Kill those rifters!). The Eve-Online community at large is too busy spitting on them to see the value of treating newbies respectfully.

You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.

Tarsus Zateki
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#164 - 2012-07-16 23:39:59 UTC
ITT everything coming down to team work and the average high-sec dwellers inability to use it.

You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world.

Sabrina Solette
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#165 - 2012-07-17 00:14:20 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Sabrina Solette wrote:

But anyway, that comment always makes me smile. How do people expect a large force to gather from smaller groups and individuals that don't know each other when one of the things you learn in EvE is not to trust anyone?

Are you serious? You do know there are things called "corporations" and "alliances" and "coalitions" in this game right? Where people come together for common goals.

So you're saying that there is NO WAY Hgih sec can band together, because you can't trust anyone? That's pure nonsense. You don't get a pop up that says "do you trust this guy who is also shooting at the same target you want to shoot at" lol.

You high sec people will hide behind any possible (and illogical, fallacy filled) reason to not do anything on your own behalf, it's amazing.

It's further Amazing that you high sec can group up in Mega Bling Blobs to kill incursion rats with people you don't know while flying 5 billion isk Nightmares and Bhaalgorns, but going to fight the guys suicide ganking your Hulks in high sec with 200 mil isk Maelstroms is too much of a stretch trustwise?

WTF mate?

Well there's a lot of industry in high-sec, NPC corps, mining corps. I wouldn't say I know of many real PvP corps (except merc corps and RvB with their wargames), because there's no real PvP in high-sec (I don't count suicide jockeys and the wardecs in high-sec as being real PvP, maybe I've seen the wrong war decs). So you expect all the peeps from NPC corps, mining corps, solo corps, industry corps to jump in ships and tackle someone like the Goons and associates. Yeah right keep dreaming.

Is there any corp/alliance big enough to tackle Goons and all their associates now? I doubt it somehow and even if there was would they bother if they're not being bothered.

As for Hulkageddon there's a lot of us in high-sec it does not even effect, which is another reason I can't see high-sec rising up as you would like to see. Sure PvPers would like to see high-sec PvPing but you can't force them too, it's not like the real world when pressure is applied because they always have a choice when it's a game.

Tarsus Zateki
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#166 - 2012-07-17 00:35:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarsus Zateki
Sabrina Solette wrote:

Well there's a lot of industry in high-sec, NPC corps, mining corps. I wouldn't say I know of many real PvP corps (except merc corps and RvB with their wargames), because there's no real PvP in high-sec (I don't count suicide jockeys and the wardecs in high-sec as being real PvP, maybe I've seen the wrong war decs). So you expect all the peeps from NPC corps, mining corps, solo corps, industry corps to jump in ships and tackle someone like the Goons and associates. Yeah right keep dreaming.

But its really, really easy. The sorts of folks the OP is complaining about are utterly incompetent at anything but gate camping. Busting them up doesn't require any major investment of money and you probably already have the skill points needed to do it. A shuttle can be used to scout the camp and then you have all the information to put together a small fleet of T1 cruisers and frigates that will not only kill them, but shut them down so effectively they will have to sit there helpless and watch as you kill them one after the other. The nice thing about gangs that hump gates is you know exactly what to put on your blackbirds.

Sabrina Solette wrote:

Is there any corp/alliance big enough to tackle Goons and all their associates now? I doubt it somehow and even if there was would they bother if they're not being bothered.

Big enough? Yes certainly. We're currently rolling up a coalition that can match us in numbers. They're not losing due to lack of pilots but due to utter lack of organization. Not to mention the massive and systemic mismanagement of their finances and politcal alliances. The team speak recordings of their head FCs yelling in fear of our newbie tacklers is particularly amusing. T1 frigate pilots... you terrify guys flying Tengus.

Juny Wuny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#167 - 2012-07-17 00:39:49 UTC
Danny Diamonds wrote:

Why am I not surprised that you argue from the vantage point of being able to hotdrop? A player under 1 year experience is not likely to have access to such tools, even with friends as most cyno-capable corps and alliances require 10 million sp for consideration. You are viewing the world through an isk-filled wallet and the convenience of already having years of skill points.

I first jumped into low at around 3 million sp on my main. I didn't learn to pass through with relative ease until 5 million sp and by using a scout. I couldn't do anything useful once over there until 8 million sp and even then, with great risk of isk loss.

Do I think hotdropping gate camps is hilarious? Yes. Do I think it is a fair fight? Yes. Do I think it is good for player retention to let gate campers sit on a gate and farm ships that have a disadvantage due to the nature of the zone transition? No.

I want players to have a chance to see other aspects of the game. Many are not as adventurous as those of us who have spent time in Low/Null. The "EVE is hard herp derp" mantra is over used and childish. Well no shyte, it is hard? Wow, I haven't heard that 1,000 times. What has been tried, has thus far failed to get more players into lowsec. Change is needed.

Changes do not mean it gets easier. Make it harder on gate campers in HI-LOW transitions.

This will probably be my only post in this thread because really I need to get back to doing my chemistry labs that are due tomorrow.

I feel this whole post of "newer players can't experience lowsec" is just false. Nullsec seems to require some social networking but lowsec doesn't. I think I first jumped into lowsec with about 1 million SP. I'm not even really sure because I didn't wait for some magic SP number. At any rate not knowing anything about the game or the situation I hopped into lowsec after playing in highsec for about 3 weeks. It was stupid of me to go through the Ossogur -> Amamake gate but I did because I didn't know any better. Luckily enough the gate camp there was pretty crappy as I was able to turn around with my AB on and land back in Ossogur with my rifter in flames. After that I merely docked and found a different route.

Since then I can tell you that the gate camp on that specific gate is only really there about 60% of the time. It can be easily scanned out if you are leaving. Plus there are different routes. For the most part I operate half in lowsec and half in highsec and I've been only playing about a month.

Lowsec is accessible to new players. Especially with faction warfare giving you a reason to actually go there. Now I may not be as effective as a higher SP character in lowsec, but that is true in highsec as well. There is not much a difference to me. The biggest difference is that people shoot at me more often in lowsec than in highsec. Eh whatever.
Bullz3y3
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#168 - 2012-07-17 01:20:09 UTC
Everybody and their alt wanting to be a pirate, along with meaningful ways to fight back against aggressors or secure operations has always fed the gatecamping and kill everything not in hi sec mentality.
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#169 - 2012-07-17 01:29:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Antisocial Malkavian
Tarsus Zateki wrote:
Sentamon wrote:

If those newbies banded together they would be a rather frightening force.

Funny how you say that given that when they TRIED that in highsec the entire wardec system gets a TOTALLY UNASKED FOR revamp.
Cause fighting back is "too fair"

Tarsus Zateki wrote:
ITT everything coming down to team work and the average high-sec dwellers inability to use it.

OR CCP's ability to change it so they CANT

All that does is makes ppl not wanna join player corps cause someone is fairly obviously gaming the system here lol

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#170 - 2012-07-17 01:45:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Aruken Marr
Did anybody else just feel the stupid in this thread go up?
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#171 - 2012-07-17 01:48:02 UTC
Aruken Marr wrote:
Did anybody else feel the stupid in this thread go up?

Yeah, generally anytime Tarsus posts

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#172 - 2012-07-17 01:49:02 UTC
Antisocial Malkavian wrote:
Aruken Marr wrote:

Thats funny because I was talking about you.
Skogen Gump
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#173 - 2012-07-17 01:56:43 UTC
Lord Drex wrote:

Gate alerts, fair warning on how many ships are on the other side Twisted

You know what ? I actually really like this idea - it only makes sense too...

After all, Gates are supposedly connected a quantumn encapsulation/fluid router aren't they ?
If so - the ability to get details from the other side should be possible - after all, it follows the same logic that lets us get 'traffic control' warnings about congested systems and closed gates.

There could even be some science skill, quantum interferometry - level 1 would show you that there are things on the other side of the gate, level 2 might show you an actual average number for the last 15 minutes, up to lvl 5 which would give you a number of ships plus ship class/
The trade off would be that you'd never get political information, so it wouldn't say if it was a red/neutral/npc blob.

It's an interesting thought and something that I think would fit into the current backstory.
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#174 - 2012-07-17 02:03:02 UTC
Aruken Marr wrote:
Aruken Marr wrote:

Its more funny you think I care

Or that anyone does for that matter

Aruken Marr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#175 - 2012-07-17 02:13:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Aruken Marr
Aruken Marr wrote:
Aruken Marr wrote:

Its more funny you think I care

Or that anyone does for that matter

Oh dear. Youre clearly a rebel without a cause.
Tanlinara
LightBender Mining and Research Corp
#176 - 2012-07-17 05:03:21 UTC
Maybe instead of changing the gate camps , ccp should make some gate camp training sites run by NPC.

Where a new person could learn how to fit a ship and strategys to use to get through gate camps and bubbles . Make it part of the career agents.

Might even want to expand it to learn some other basics of surving in lo /null .

People armed with some basic knowledge might be less inclined to stay away from lo/null
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#177 - 2012-07-17 05:12:14 UTC
Tanlinara wrote:
Maybe instead of changing the gate camps , ccp should make some gate camp training sites run by NPC.

Where a new person could learn how to fit a ship and strategys to use to get through gate camps and bubbles . Make it part of the career agents.

Might even want to expand it to learn some other basics of surving in lo /null .

People armed with some basic knowledge might be less inclined to stay away from lo/null

ya then the players will educate then and theyll have GOOD reasons to stay out

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#178 - 2012-07-17 05:15:25 UTC
Tanlinara wrote:

Or the whiners could use their grey matter to come up with a plan like everyone else did in the entire history of EVE.
Ohh Yeah
Jerkasaurus Wrecks Inc.
Sedition.
#179 - 2012-07-17 05:17:52 UTC
Lord Drex wrote:
Yea ppl like me can use a cloaky nullified easily. I'm talking about letting all have better access all sec space. Not just the 1 year plus players.

Get carebears access to null. Let them try it without having to signon to a null corp

Give me options!

Think newer player action

As far as I know, there are a number of newbro training programs that get players acclimated to null-sec as soon as they start playing.

I have met members of TEST who have only spent - seriously - an hour or two total in high-sec their entire EVE career. They joined Dreddit after reading about TEST and EVE in general, and after finishing the tutorials podded themselves straight to 1DH/6VDT. If you are a player looking to move into low-sec or null-sec, there are people who will accommodate you. Do current game mechanics make that transition viable for a new player to make on their own? No. Is it possible for anyone with an interest to move out of high-sec with the assistance of others? Absolutely.
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#180 - 2012-07-17 05:17:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Antisocial Malkavian
baltec1 wrote:
Tanlinara wrote:

Or the whiners could use their grey matter to come up with a plan like everyone else did in the entire history of EVE.

Yeah go down to 0.0 in an untanked hulk like I did. its fun.

Ohh Yeah wrote:
Lord Drex wrote:
Yea ppl like me can use a cloaky nullified easily. I'm talking about letting all have better access all sec space. Not just the 1 year plus players.

Get carebears access to null. Let them try it without having to signon to a null corp

Give me options!

Think newer player action

As far as I know, there are a number of newbro training programs that get players acclimated to null-sec as soon as they start playing.

I have met members of TEST who have only spent - seriously - an hour or two total in high-sec their entire EVE career. They joined Dreddit after reading about TEST and EVE in general, and after finishing the tutorials podded themselves straight to 1DH/6VDT. If you are a player looking to move into low-sec or null-sec, there are people who will accommodate you. Do current game mechanics make that transition viable for a new player to make on their own? No. Is it possible for anyone with an interest to move out of high-sec with the assistance of others? Absolutely.

meh Id rather give my real money to CCP not the moderators of Something Aweful