These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

EVE Causing Periodic nVidia driver crashes / recoveries?

First post
Author
Lamyruil
SpeedStar Deliveries
#41 - 2012-09-25 19:56:55 UTC
I also have a GTX 670 but fortunately my screen only goes black for about 5 secs. The 30fps drop is easily fixed by opening and closing the (Esc)settings menu twice.

Using 301.42 drivers.
Avuthless
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#42 - 2012-09-28 13:40:04 UTC
Hello everyone.

I returned to EVE from about 2 years of non-gaming and brought my gf with me (i am surprised myself that she likes EVE a lot, although she is not a gamer at all). So i installed EVE on both of my machines.

Now i play EVE on my MacBook Pro and it runs great. I also play EVE on my PC with nVidia's 9800GT (1024 video ram) and with 4gb ram and the game crashes 1-2 times an hour. I tried repair tool, all settings max, all settings low, tried windows and fullscreen modes, safe and normal EVE mode, tried newest and those beta drivers from nVidia and i still get the same problem. For me those crashes are always one of these types: Blue screen crash, Hang up and app quit crash (then even the mouse is super lagy for 2-3 secs), game hang up but back to normal in 1 min, socket closed + UI super unresponsive ( may be due to poor connection sometimes). So i struggle with all these crashes and i must restart 1-2 times in one hour. If anybody found a solution, maybe you can share.

Since i am game developer myself i will not criticize EVE developers, this must be some ****** deep issue with someone updating something (may be from nVidia's side or EVE side). But his issue is rather frustrating nevertheless.

Since i see so many people having this issue i hope it will get solved fast.

Good luck everyone!
Avuthless
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#43 - 2012-09-28 21:28:43 UTC
After todays post i tried playing EVE with my gf. The crashes were getting more common and in the end i could barely play 5 mins in space. Lost my raven today Sad Also my MacBook crashed too! It just stuck and i had to hard reset it (keep holding power) to shut it off, since nothing was working for more than 10 mins!

I am starting to regret buying 90 days pilot license and i do hope i get a fix.

I will try getting anything i can from my PC crashes and sending it to CCP, dunno how to do that yet but i'll google it.
Aethlyn
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2012-09-29 08:22:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Aethlyn
Had two freezes and one instance of the display driver crashing without recovery over the last three days (Windows 7 x64, GTX 680). Only noticeable change: I used Eve Voice during these Windows sessions (e.g. for the Mass Test; usually not using it), sometimes during an earlier Eve session. Main audio is running on a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic, voice on a Logitech G110 Keyboard.

So, in case you experience crashes and you're using Eve Voice, try without it.

Looking for more thoughts? Follow me on Twitter.

Canadeon
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2012-10-12 06:49:06 UTC
Hey all, I wanted to contribute to this thread of stress!!!!

I currently run:
AMD FX-8120
Asus M5A97 Evo Motherboard
Sapphire AMD RADEON HD 7970 (primary x16 slot)
Sapphire AMD RADEON HD 7870 (secondary x16 slot - x4 mode i presume)
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM (1600MHz)
Windows 7 X64 -fully updated
2x 1TB HDD
1x OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
3 monitors

The reason I have that is because I replaced this trying to diagnose my driver crashes:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 Motherboard
Nvidia GTX 570 SOC (I sent it back for RMA twice, got brand new cards both times... so THREE GTX 570 SOCs have been tried)
8GB Kingston value RAM
rest SHOULD BE irrelevant...

I have tried formatting, reinstalling windows, motherboard drivers, and video drivers (on both AMD cards and Nvidia).
I have disabled/enabled all bios settings, tried all bios versions, all driver versions for my video cards (Both AMD and Nvidia).

I can run 1 client of Eve fine, although i will see white spots and artifacts here and there, no crashing tho.
2 clients - sometimes OK, sometimes video crashes...
I play World of Tanks. This game crashes EVERY time if I have Eve loaded - to a point where I need to power off the computer and restart.
I can play XCOM: Enemy Unknown just fine with Eve, although both must be full screen windowed, otherwise if I minimize one and restore, i get artifacts.
I have even had the drivers crash 3 times in a row right after a fresh reboot of windows.
I can run BF3 flawlessly for several hours...

It seems to be a problem with utilizing multiple tasks that require video card's attention... I have searched for MONTHS and spent $1000 diagnosing this BS, and NO ONE knows the solution... I am thoroughly convinced it is a Windows problem. They would NEVER admit it, but i think Microsoft is the culprit.
About a year and a half ago, I NEVER had this problem, so some update since then has ROYALLY F*CKED UP our stuff.

I can tolerate a few bugs here and there, but I did NOT spend $1500 on a computer to have it crash constantly for over a year! It is not CCPs fault, however, maybe CCP can help us little guys by informing the BIG guys that we are having issues. If these problems continue much longer, I am gonna pack up the computer and go console gaming, because this is just ridiculous. And of course, if we ditch computers for consoles, CCP will lose big money - hence why they should be VERY concerned that their customers are having problems with hardware that is supposed to run Eve flawlessly - on MULTIPLE clients, EVEN if it is not their fault.
Tas Nok
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#46 - 2012-10-19 05:31:35 UTC
Spent most of the Summer away from Eve and when I return I find this issue happening every 5-10 minutes... I vaguely recall it happening before when jumping (fixed) or when Eve had to make a call to the database for a ship my client hadn't drawn in ages (like a Sin in HS) tonight while just doing routine logistics moving basic blah ships and fittings it froze up whenever I had more than one inventory window open or when I typed something in chat....

I'm not convinced its 100% an Eve problem, but since I ran tonight mostly on 1 client I will make an effort to see if I can eliminate other drains on the computer from other programs until its just eve.. then if it still happens, I'll update this post.

Hopefully the devs will have a look at this thread... atm this isn't a crippling issue, but it sure is annoying and distracting.

ISquishWorms
#47 - 2012-10-19 11:08:49 UTC  |  Edited by: ISquishWorms
I am sorry CCP but I can no longer play EVE until this problem is resolved. Four times out of Five after jumping through a gate my monitor will turn itself off and then back on as my graphics driver crashes. It also happens at other times as well but mainly when jumping through gates.

All the other games that I play on this computer seem fine so until this is fixed I am off to play one of them as I have no choice EVE is not playable in its current state for me.

Log Name: System
Source: Display
Date: 19/10/2012 04:07:11
Event ID: 4101
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Desktop
Description:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Event Xml:
Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"
System
Provider Name="Display" /
EventID Qualifiers="0"4101/EventID
Level3/Level
Task0/Task
Keywords0x80000000000000/Keywords
TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-10-19T03:07:11.000000000Z" /
EventRecordID4411/EventRecordID
ChannelSystem/Channel
Computer Desktop/Computer
Security /
/System
EventData
Datanvlddmkm/Data
Data
/Data
/EventData
/Event

Stop dusting and get fixing.

‘No, this isn't it at all. Make it more... psssshhhh’.

Sycotic Deninard
Basgerin Pirate
#48 - 2012-11-21 06:43:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Sycotic Deninard
Interesting that this fix helps some but not others and not a peep from CCP.

A person that does'nt use his intelligence is no better than an animal that does'nt have any and thus are steaks on the table by choice and consent.

Previous page123