These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why do you alt post?

First post
Author
Lady Zarrina
New Eden Browncoats
#61 - 2012-07-05 03:40:40 UTC
Because I can

EVE: All about Flying Frisky and Making Iskie

TheoS113nc3r
Doomheim
#62 - 2012-07-05 04:08:00 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
You hear it all the time. "Post with your main". I know I do, and I have good reasons for doing so. The main one is building an "e-Personality". People know who I am, what I think, and what to expect from me -- and if they don't, it's easy to find out. It's also to help friends join discussions that are ongoing. "Check this out, I am actually Alt AbcXyz here" just seems like the wrong way to go about things. Plus, alts are not taken as seriously, even if their contribution to the discussion is perfectly valid.

So, with that in mind, I would like to ask: Why do you alt post? Or, if you main-post, why do you think others alt post?

Is it paranoia? Or, in more nasty terms, cowardice? Is in-game retribution for forum actions really that prevalent? Is the risk of some people not liking you that high? Or is it something else?

Discuss. (Sorry, couldn't help myself)

I post with an alt to keep my main from being ganked by people i might offend by expressing my views in forums. It happend to my main before so i'm more careful now.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#63 - 2012-07-05 04:16:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Epeen
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
I would like to ask: Why do you alt post?

I don't alt anything. I specialize and focus. I have all my SP focused in forum warrior skills and specialize in posting.

Mr Epeen Cool
Pipa Porto
#64 - 2012-07-05 04:20:34 UTC
I Alt Post because the forum just goes clicky when I post with my main.

EvE: Everyone vs Everyone

-RubyPorto

InternetSpaceship
State War Academy
Caldari State
#65 - 2012-07-05 04:21:15 UTC  |  Edited by: InternetSpaceship
I post exclusively on my main. I have nothing at all against alt posting, however, I just can't be assed to muster the effort to do it.

TheoS113nc3r wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
You hear it all the time. "Post with your main". I know I do, and I have good reasons for doing so. The main one is building an "e-Personality". People know who I am, what I think, and what to expect from me -- and if they don't, it's easy to find out. It's also to help friends join discussions that are ongoing. "Check this out, I am actually Alt AbcXyz here" just seems like the wrong way to go about things. Plus, alts are not taken as seriously, even if their contribution to the discussion is perfectly valid.

So, with that in mind, I would like to ask: Why do you alt post? Or, if you main-post, why do you think others alt post?

Is it paranoia? Or, in more nasty terms, cowardice? Is in-game retribution for forum actions really that prevalent? Is the risk of some people not liking you that high? Or is it something else?

I post with an alt to keep my main from being ganked by people i might offend by expressing my views in forums. It happend to my main before so i'm more careful now.

I post with my main in hopes of attracting in-game gankers. Not one, so far. Lots of threats, though.

Official Recruiter for GoonSwarm Corporation.

If you paid isk to get into GoonSwarm, you were probably scammed.  If you had the foresight to save the name of your scammer, let me know and I'll do what I can to help you.

Ludi Burek
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#66 - 2012-07-05 04:22:13 UTC
I post with my main not to reveal my goon alt.
Regnag Leppod
Doomheim
#67 - 2012-07-05 04:30:09 UTC
Because Tippia
Cloned S0ul
POCKOCMOC Inc.
#68 - 2012-07-05 05:06:10 UTC
Because of multiple toons with total 200mil sp, i dont split my characters betwen main - alt they all vaulable and uniqe. Somtime i spent more time on character x while in other day on character y.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#69 - 2012-07-05 06:16:54 UTC
Jade Constantine wrote:
Well the social consequence of a wardec from the Goons for being an enemy of their organization does exist. Its just a bit of a shame that the social consequences of being an unpopular large alliance no longer lead to plenty of defensive allies through the Inferno 1.0 wardec system.

I received perma-war from the Swarm for basically being their most hated player in the game bar none (mostly for not being impressed by Mittani's fanfest antics). Lucky for me my alliance has been in a constant state of war since its inception and my first instinct on receiving the dec was to make it mutual and lock them into an eternal war with hundreds of defensive allies!

And then CCP announced the 1.1 changes, you sperged about how CCP caved to goons, both CCP and the CSM told you that was wrong, and you completely ignored that and continued to sperg the same line for another 2-3 weeks.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Patri Andari
Thukker Tribe Antiquities Importer
#70 - 2012-07-05 07:08:44 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:

Not an intended derail but...

Who gets to determine what character is a persons alt or main?

I mean there are some pretty obvious examples out there where one can find a consensus but there are also a lot of gray areas. This is my second oldest character created mere hours after my first. I have made the majority of my income on this character though it has never fired so much as a pop gun.

I have both trained and traded for other characters that have more sp and have used them for everything from pve and pvp to infiltration as well as ganks. Yet I still consider this character as my main when it comes to market transactions (the bulk of my income) and forum posting.

From time to time i will make a post and some forum warrior will come on and check my history on battleclinic or some other source and chime in with "post with you main noob."

So I ask as a counter question who gets to say what is a persons main? Are kill stats the only determining factor?

I have many kills on many characters but i do not post on them and feel no need to.

Meh, --Posting with MY main.

Be careful what you think, for your thoughts become your words. Be careful what you say, for your words become your actions. Be careful what you do, for your actions become your character. And character is everything. - author unknown

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#71 - 2012-07-05 07:13:03 UTC
I don't, mainly because…
Malcanis wrote:
If it's not worth posting on your main, it's not worth posting.
…and those that alt post obviously have nothing worth-while to say.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#72 - 2012-07-05 07:15:12 UTC
Patri Andari wrote:
Who gets to determine what character is a persons alt or main?

You do.

There are some people, however, who'll try every trick in the book to win an argument. You can argue as correctly as you'd like about f.ex something combat-related, but if the char you're on doesn't have multiple thousands of kills in the last months, they'll happily go "post with your main, or your arguments are null and void because you don't have combat experience on that char!".

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#73 - 2012-07-05 07:24:44 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
Jade Constantine wrote:
I received perma-war from the Swarm for basically being their most hated player in the game bar none (mostly for not being impressed by Mittani's fanfest antics).

You must have been quite outspoken, since many posters on this forum posted their disapproval of his behavior, including some CFC members and even some Goons.

Anyway, I post with my main 'cause I post with my brain.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Daltzi
Midwest Commodity Financial Exchange Services
#74 - 2012-07-05 07:28:51 UTC
I do, only because alliance Leadership wishes I ONLY sold characters i train to sell to alliance only at a Bro Discount.
Alas this is EVE I Have to make my isk somehow, I will sell my Nyx - Aeon sitters & Maxed out prober characters
to anyone that pays the price i require!
BabydoII
Doomheim
#75 - 2012-07-05 07:31:25 UTC
I dont really have alts. I dont beleive in the concept. I treat all of my characters equally.

I find the idea of calling one character a "main" and one an "alt" offensive actually.

How do you define which of your alteregos is your main alter ego ?

It boggles the mind.
Aineko Macx
#76 - 2012-07-05 07:37:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Aineko Macx
Because people pigeonhole you based on what corp or alliance you are in an and presume that you are incapable of unbiased opinion. With alt posting they also presume some sort of agenda (tho undefined), which is IMO the lesser evil, but in the end it doesn't matter.
Samillian
Angry Mustellid
#77 - 2012-07-05 07:58:25 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
If it's not worth posting on your main, it's not worth posting.

Not empty quoting.

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Lin-Young Borovskova
Doomheim
#78 - 2012-07-05 10:27:36 UTC
George Whitebread wrote:
I have no alts. All my characters are my main character.

Besides, when discussing on a forum, people should reply to the post/argument - not the avatar. It's the same RL person behind my arguments no matter what character I'm posting with anyway.

Far too many need an internet existence behind some character in a space ship game where every one and his mother/dog/cat/grandma claims captain quarters and nex clothes are for wow players.

Interesting psychology, a real good study case.

Now please everyone, I'm testing mmo's players trust behaviour, send me a couple millions and of course I'll return them back to you with some extra to thank your participation.

Thx.

brb

Dave Horizon
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#79 - 2012-07-05 10:40:37 UTC
I dont have a main, just alts........
Kyle Ward
Doomheim
#80 - 2012-07-05 11:54:38 UTC
My main is ugly and I'm ashamed...

The Sandbox, you're playing it wrong!