These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Selling characters (account) for real money

Author
Mag's
Azn Empire
#121 - 2012-07-10 21:33:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
Good god is this thread still going.

Go on then all you internet lawyer types, please sell your accounts and tell us all about it. We eagerly await your posts.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#122 - 2012-07-10 22:49:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Richard Desturned
Brewlar Kuvakei wrote:
PLEX can be redeemed from the game and if you look at your account it is added as 30 day eve subscription. The new EU rules have been created to stop software giants and a company like CCP from exploiting users, we should have the right to sell our game licences and subscriptions and for that reason I'm converting as much worthless ISK into 30 day game subs in the hope that I will one day be able to trade out with the permission of CCP.


if you don't like the rules don't play their game?

you're not being "exploited," you agreed to CCP's ToS and EULA when you first subscribed your account. you don't own your account, it's simply an agreement between you and CCP that either party can choose to terminate at any time.

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Plus 1
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#123 - 2012-07-10 22:55:10 UTC
Brewlar Kuvakei wrote:
we should have the right to sell our game licences and subscriptions

Why?
Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#124 - 2012-07-10 22:59:14 UTC
Plus 1 wrote:
Brewlar Kuvakei wrote:
we should have the right to sell our game licences and subscriptions

Why?


"I literally want to monetize the time I spend playing a video game"

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Markarian Aurelius
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#125 - 2012-07-10 23:22:12 UTC
Django Returns wrote:
Why isnt your account a software license?


No. It's a service license, which is bound by an EULA.
Johan Civire
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#126 - 2012-07-11 00:50:33 UTC
Nah the can ip banning but well 1 phone call and my ip is change. So no that will not help. Banning perhaps (account ban) but still its a game so a free new account is easly made. No i dont think the can do to stop this. If some one try to be a bad boy the can but ccp will track in some sort (i think client tracking (launcher) spying software or that kind of stuff) then the know ho he is.

But again is that not a little to far for it!
Y'nit Gidrine
Virtues Corporation
#127 - 2012-07-11 02:55:33 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
Brewlar Kuvakei wrote:
PLEX can be redeemed from the game and if you look at your account it is added as 30 day eve subscription. The new EU rules have been created to stop software giants and a company like CCP from exploiting users, we should have the right to sell our game licences and subscriptions and for that reason I'm converting as much worthless ISK into 30 day game subs in the hope that I will one day be able to trade out with the permission of CCP.


if you don't like the rules don't play their game?

you're not being "exploited," you agreed to CCP's ToS and EULA when you first subscribed your account. you don't own your account, it's simply an agreement between you and CCP that either party can choose to terminate at any time.


Just because a contract was signed, does not mean that the entire contract is valid. The contract might be illegal or "unconscionable" (one-sided). Contract law is very complicated and nobody really knows if a contract is enforceable unless there is legal precedent or until the contract has been challenged in court. EULA's in particular are in legally questionable waters as there has not been decisive legal precedent set yet. Even in the United States where they are stronger than in Europe, courts have ruled both ways on EULAs.

So, it is possibly conceivable that you COULD in fact be allowed to sell your accounts. You would just have to get banned by CCP, then challenge the EULA in court and hope that the courts rule in your favor - thus setting legal precedent on the matter.
Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#128 - 2012-07-11 03:29:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Richard Desturned
Y'nit Gidrine wrote:
Just because a contract was signed, does not mean that the entire contract is valid. The contract might be illegal or "unconscionable" (one-sided). Contract law is very complicated and nobody really knows if a contract is enforceable unless there is legal precedent or until the contract has been challenged in court. EULA's in particular are in legally questionable waters as there has not been decisive legal precedent set yet. Even in the United States where they are stronger than in Europe, courts have ruled both ways on EULAs.

So, it is possibly conceivable that you COULD in fact be allowed to sell your accounts. You would just have to get banned by CCP, then challenge the EULA in court and hope that the courts rule in your favor - thus setting legal precedent on the matter.


internet lawyers "lol"

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Lugalzagezi666
#129 - 2012-07-11 06:23:37 UTC
Markarian Aurelius wrote:
No. It's a service license, which is bound by an EULA.

So you say it is service license right? Even better then - judgement of the court in case c-128/11 §67 :
"Even if the maintenance agreement is for a limited period, the functionalities corrected, altered or added on the basis of such an agreement form an integral part of the copy originally downloaded and can be used by the acquirer of the copy for an unlimited period, even in the event that the acquirer subsequently decides not to renew the maintenance agreement."

Y'nit Gidrine wrote:
So, it is possibly conceivable that you COULD in fact be allowed to sell your accounts. You would just have to get banned by CCP, then challenge the EULA in court and hope that the courts rule in your favor - thus setting legal precedent on the matter.

Basically the situation german company Usedsoft (sued by Oracle) was in.


baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#130 - 2012-07-11 06:34:14 UTC
Damn space lawyers. I cant but feel that these people are bots on their final warning and are vexed over not being able to sell their zombie hoards on the market anymore.
Plus 1
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#131 - 2012-07-11 21:47:22 UTC
Lugalzagezi666 wrote:
Markarian Aurelius wrote:
No. It's a service license, which is bound by an EULA.

So you say it is service license right? Even better then - judgement of the court in case c-128/11 §67 :
"Even if the maintenance agreement is for a limited period, the functionalities corrected, altered or added on the basis of such an agreement form an integral part of the copy originally downloaded and can be used by the acquirer of the copy for an unlimited period, even in the event that the acquirer subsequently decides not to renew the maintenance agreement."

No
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#132 - 2012-07-11 21:52:03 UTC
MMOs are the modern versions of corporate towns, where the owners want to control everything. It was only a matter of time till the courts got involved.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Xen Solarus
Furious Destruction and Salvage
#133 - 2012-07-15 01:42:37 UTC
Still no post from CCP in this thread?

Maybe they're cool with people selling accounts for real cash. Shocked

Post with your main, like a BOSS!

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.