These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

Can FC's be friendly?

Author
Aw Kasenumi
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-06-29 11:54:57 UTC
I wanted to hear some opinions about this. This is an alt but i have lived in null for 5 years now and been in several alliances and also the 'larger' ones. In all my years ive hardly ever seen a friendly FC. What i notice is that when FC's get to cranky or just downright insulting etc. alliances dont live long cause people are not gonna enjoy being in a fleet with you and with every cta the numbers drop. The friendly FC's that i have seen could manage great fleets as they got sympathy from pilots and people just generally enjoy themselves, but for some reason these FC's dont stick around for to long or they feel the pressure from alliance leadership and move along. Now i keep wondering why FC's are generally assholes cause in my opinion they gain absolutly nothing and are there alliances around who only deal with friendly FC's?
Danny John-Peter
The Congregation
HIDDEN LEAF VILLAGE NINJA AssAssIn SQUAD eSports
#2 - 2012-06-29 12:03:15 UTC
Aw Kasenumi
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-06-29 12:10:28 UTC
Hahahaha that was so funny. Post in fleet so i can call you faggots xD.
Danny John-Peter
The Congregation
HIDDEN LEAF VILLAGE NINJA AssAssIn SQUAD eSports
#4 - 2012-06-29 12:15:21 UTC
Thats how Amarrians roll, but seriously, FCs get mad when people do ******** stuff/dont do what there told/bring purger rigged PVE drakes to hellcat fleets.

Happy FCs are happy because nobody is being ********.
Dark Pangolin
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#5 - 2012-06-29 12:29:47 UTC
FCs can be friendly if they fly in relatively small fleets (10-15) of people they have been flying with for a while, who know what to do and how to do it. Usually most FCs burn out (I did) after while mostly because if you become known as "the FC" every time you log on all you hear is "fleet?...are you doing a fleet?" and you can;t always dedicate 3 hours to EVE...

Anyway tehre are friendly FCs they just get cranky when they have to repeat themselves over and over on the basics...I only remember losing my temper once though...and I never asked anyone to post in fleet :)
Meditril
Minmatar Secret Service
Ushra'Khan
#6 - 2012-06-29 12:51:05 UTC
FCs can be friendly and usually they are the more friendly the smaller the fleet is. FCing can be really an exhausting and though job, sometimes worser than a bad real life job. Therefore FCs usually burn out if the fleets geting too large (large fleet = many people doing dumb things) or the operation is going for a too long time.

Naturally it depends at the end on the FC and how serious he takes his "job of FCing".
eddie valvetino
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-06-29 13:04:25 UTC  |  Edited by: eddie valvetino
Danny John-Peter wrote:
Thats how Amarrians roll, but seriously, FCs get mad when people do ******** stuff/dont do what there told/bring purger rigged PVE drakes to hellcat fleets.

Happy FCs are happy because nobody is being ********.


As many of the readers of this forums will tell you, personally as an FC I'm am always calm, collected and never get emo. However I do understand why some FCs without my level of sef control do get really annoyed.

There are some key issues that casse FC Meltdown

1. PPL not being ready at Form up
2. PPL coming in the wrong ships
3. Fail Jumps
4. Thinking for yourself (grunts are not meant to do this)
5. Split damage.
6. PPL saying "i'm at the planet" "he jumped" "big fleet on the gate" rather then "Eddie 's on planet 3 at 100km" "target jumped from Tama to Kedama" "Fleet of *insert detailed fleet* on the Tama gate in Kedama.
7. PPL feeling the need to tell the whole fleet when their inty blows up
8. Firing on cyno's without being asked for
9. Random and pointless comms chatter

wish I had never started this list, it can go on.

but the biggest wind up for all time, is back seat FCs who NEVER step up.

Edd
Jade Constantine
Jericho Fraction
The Star Fraction
#8 - 2012-06-29 13:11:43 UTC
eddie valvetino wrote:

As many of the readers of this forums will tell you, personally as an FC I'm am always calm, collected and never get emo. However I do understand why some FCs without my level of sef control do get really annoyed.

There are some key issues that casse FC Meltdown

1. PPL not being ready at Form up
2. PPL coming in the wrong ships
3. Fail Jumps
4. Thinking for yourself (grunts are not meant to do this)
5. Split damage.
6. PPL saying "i'm at the planet" "he jumped" "big fleet on the gate" rather then "Eddie 's on planet 3 at 100km" "target jumped from Tama to Kedama" "Fleet of *insert detailed fleet* on the Tama gate in Kedama.
7. PPL feeling the need to tell the whole fleet when their inty blows up
8. Firing on cyno's without being asked for
9. Random and pointless comms chatter

wish I had never started this list, it can go on.

but the biggest wind up for all time, is back seat FCs who NEVER step up.

Edd





"I'm tackled I'm tackled I'm going under attack I'm going into armour hEEEEEELP!"

"Who was just speaking and where are you?"

"GET HERE NAO! PLEASE HELP, GET THEM OFF ME!"

"Repeat location and composition of hostile fleet?"

"NEED REPS NEED REPS NOW!"

"FFS we can't help if we don't know anything about your situation!"

(third voice)

"I think he's in a sanctum in 4B-NQN"









The True Knowledge is that nothing matters that does not matter to you, might does make right and power makes freedom

Derath Ellecon
Lotek Academy
#9 - 2012-06-29 13:17:18 UTC
Almity, on the Amarr side is a great FC IMO and extremely friendly to boot.
Gunthar X
State War Academy
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-06-29 13:28:39 UTC
FC's get grumpy and a bit hostile because:

They must train level 5 Cat Herding

They must always be aware that those fleet members who have been in the area and in EVE for 2 months are better at tactics and life in general than the rest of the fleet and the FC so they should be listened to and everyone should do what they say.

If fleet members are ignoring orders, tying up comms, jumping without commands, and generally acting like lemmings then its your fault entirely.

Every single ship matters so in the middle of a 600 man fight with capitols you should be aware that the tech 1 fitted BS that is not with the fleet and sitting on the gate tackled is the singularly most important ship in the universe and should be treated as such.

If you take a fleet out and do not kill all of EVE with your mighty frigates then you failed as an FC and should learn to play.

When you are FC for a 20 man destroyer gang and you run from a 15 man RR BS gang with triage carrier support then you are scared to engage and should be publicly ridiculed.

Kill mails are more important than objectives so you should always strive for the maximum amount of KM's even if you lose the entire fleet and three POS's because you at least got kills.

In all seriousness some FC's are just naturally mean and hurt peoples feelings, it is usually not intentional however if you are leading fleets every single night and constantly dealing with annoyances, constant criticism, and stupid people then it will push you off the deep end.

Being an FC is like beating your head against a brick wall sometimes so understand that most long term FC's get sick of dealing with the stupidity and get a little grumpy. Unless they are being hostile and counterproductive then it is just a normal phase for the FC. If they are constantly treating people like crap and being abusive then they will end up losing creditability and the ability to FC. People join you because they like to fly with you and feel like they get something out of the experience however do not get upset if you do something stupid and get people killed and the FC calls you out for it.
Lock out
Shadows Of The Federation
#11 - 2012-06-29 13:29:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Lock out
eddie valvetino wrote:
Danny John-Peter wrote:
Thats how Amarrians roll, but seriously, FCs get mad when people do ******** stuff/dont do what there told/bring purger rigged PVE drakes to hellcat fleets.

Happy FCs are happy because nobody is being ********.


As many of the readers of this forums will tell you, personally as an FC I'm am always calm, collected and never get emo. However I do understand why some FCs without my level of sef control do get really annoyed.




Confirming Eddie is calm, allmost as calm as I am.

Tbh it depends a lot on how well the fleet manages to keep the FC in a good mood. If 20 ppl link me fits to confirm this is what I wanted, I have to point out 10 of those fits are wrong and what they should change and as a result we are 30 minutes delayed on formup, then I'm already in a **** mood when we are ready to go. Generally speaking the more the fleet members understand game mechanics and can work with general guidlines from the FC rather than detailed step by step indications, the calmer the FC will most likely be.
eddie valvetino
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2012-06-29 13:36:19 UTC
Gunthar X wrote:
FC's get grumpy and a bit hostile because:

They must train level 5 Cat Herding

They must always be aware that those fleet members who have been in the area and in EVE for 2 months are better at tactics and life in general than the rest of the fleet and the FC so they should be listened to and everyone should do what they say.

If fleet members are ignoring orders, tying up comms, jumping without commands, and generally acting like lemmings then its your fault entirely.

Every single ship matters so in the middle of a 600 man fight with capitols you should be aware that the tech 1 fitted BS that is not with the fleet and sitting on the gate tackled is the singularly most important ship in the universe and should be treated as such.

If you take a fleet out and do not kill all of EVE with your mighty frigates then you failed as an FC and should learn to play.

When you are FC for a 20 man destroyer gang and you run from a 15 man RR BS gang with triage carrier support then you are scared to engage and should be publicly ridiculed.

Kill mails are more important than objectives so you should always strive for the maximum amount of KM's even if you lose the entire fleet and three POS's because you at least got kills.

In all seriousness some FC's are just naturally mean and hurt peoples feelings, it is usually not intentional however if you are leading fleets every single night and constantly dealing with annoyances, constant criticism, and stupid people then it will push you off the deep end.

Being an FC is like beating your head against a brick wall sometimes so understand that most long term FC's get sick of dealing with the stupidity and get a little grumpy. Unless they are being hostile and counterproductive then it is just a normal phase for the FC. If they are constantly treating people like crap and being abusive then they will end up losing creditability and the ability to FC. People join you because they like to fly with you and feel like they get something out of the experience however do not get upset if you do something stupid and get people killed and the FC calls you out for it.



^^ this ^^

Honestly this is why i gave up on FCing...

to all you super wind up and verging on emo breakdowns FCs, back here... on the back of the bus, it's all rainbows and ponies... just saying..

and to the millions of back seat FCs who know it all and risk nothing... put up or for the love of baby cheesus... shut the **** up
eddie valvetino
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2012-06-29 13:46:22 UTC
Lock out wrote:
eddie valvetino wrote:
Danny John-Peter wrote:
Thats how Amarrians roll, but seriously, FCs get mad when people do ******** stuff/dont do what there told/bring purger rigged PVE drakes to hellcat fleets.

Happy FCs are happy because nobody is being ********.


As many of the readers of this forums will tell you, personally as an FC I'm am always calm, collected and never get emo. However I do understand why some FCs without my level of sef control do get really annoyed.




Confirming Eddie is calm, allmost as calm as I am.

Tbh it depends a lot on how well the fleet manages to keep the FC in a good mood. If 20 ppl link me fits to confirm this is what I wanted, I have to point out 10 of those fits are wrong and what they should change and as a result we are 30 minutes delayed on formup, then I'm already in a **** mood when we are ready to go. Generally speaking the more the fleet members understand game mechanics and can work with general guidlines from the FC rather than detailed step by step indications, the calmer the FC will most likely be.


confirmed Lock's FCing style is like listerning to angels singing you to sleep..

and he makes another fair point, as fleets grow so does the number of twats in them. Lock I know has been primary FC in corps too, this adds yet another level of annoyance. FCing is hard work, it's as much as a grind as running plexes or missions. When that becomes night after night... often dealing with the same stupid quesions over and over... and the same ppl ******* up. Often these guys are your mates too.. this adds more spice as you feel let down my your mates sometimes... then we have the times you as an FC **** up and lose your mates fleet... if you think FCs don't feel bad about that... you're wrong, if you don't think we spend hours going over it, trying to make sure we don' **** up again.. you're wrong, if you think that losing your poxy T2 fitted BS give your the right to a voice... guess what.. you're wrong

So speaks Edd
Katja Faith
Doomheim
#14 - 2012-06-29 13:52:23 UTC
Had a couple great FCs in Minmatar FW... I'd fly with them again any day.

I've also had more than a few complete idiots, and a few guys who really needed to step away from the computer and get a life.
L0rdF1end
STA'IN
Happy Cartel
#15 - 2012-06-29 15:13:34 UTC
You don't win by being nice and friendly. The best FC's moslty come across as arragant arse faces.
sYnc Vir
Wolfsbrigade
Ghost Legion.
#16 - 2012-06-29 17:12:30 UTC
Yes

Don't ask about Italics, just tilt your head.

BolsterBomb
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-06-29 17:37:09 UTC
Small gangs with veteran pilots yes, big gangs / inexperienced players no.

Heres why. In my opinion you have to lead the fleet with an iron fleet in sizable fleets. I consider any thing larger then 15+ to fall into this category simply because you know have 15 people that try to think for themselves. I want my fleets to be clear, professional and organized. If the fleet isnt in that manner I get mad.


The biggest issue is exactly what others posted, the biggest thing that irritates me is:

1) Comms clutter
2) PPL jumping when I specifically tell them to hold on gate - cant tell you how irritated this makes me
3) Bad intel

I try to go over a pre flight "dum dum" check list to prevent this. But those 3 things irritate the crap outta me.

A good FC needs to make sure everyone in the fleet understands clearly his orders and when other people dont listen or do something dumb its a cancer that needs to be cut quickly.

The other thing I make sure is if it is a "casual fun fleet" to tell people prior to going out. Otherwise they know ok bolster isnt my friend anymore hes FC and wants discipline.

Brig General of The Caldari State

"Don" Bolsterbomb

Traitor and Ex Luminaire General of The Gallente Federation

eddie valvetino
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#18 - 2012-06-29 19:03:10 UTC  |  Edited by: eddie valvetino
BolsterBomb wrote:
Small gangs with veteran pilots yes, big gangs / inexperienced players no.

Heres why. In my opinion you have to lead the fleet with an iron fleet in sizable fleets. I consider any thing larger then 15+ to fall into this category simply because you know have 15 people that try to think for themselves. I want my fleets to be clear, professional and organized. If the fleet isnt in that manner I get mad.


The biggest issue is exactly what others posted, the biggest thing that irritates me is:

1) Comms clutter
2) PPL jumping when I specifically tell them to hold on gate - cant tell you how irritated this makes me
3) Bad intel

I try to go over a pre flight "dum dum" check list to prevent this. But those 3 things irritate the crap outta me.

A good FC needs to make sure everyone in the fleet understands clearly his orders and when other people dont listen or do something dumb its a cancer that needs to be cut quickly.

The other thing I make sure is if it is a "casual fun fleet" to tell people prior to going out. Otherwise they know ok bolster isnt my friend anymore hes FC and wants discipline.



this is sooo true

Small gangs largely get away with a few "talkers" in fact, it can be really helpful.. so comms much less of an issue, but you scale that beyond 15/20 with split fleets, bat phones and back up to coordinate and it gets real, many times I have had to take my headset off for 15 seconds just to think. FW fleets are the worst for this.

It's sad to say, i've killed more than one guy from fleet and comms for not shutting the fudge up or feelings his opinion is needed.

Jumping gates is maybe the single most annoying thing, along with firing on cynos mid fight without orders, many traps have failed to be sprung or bat phones failed to arrive due to trigger happy morons.

At the end of the day, it comes down to this, i think... if you agree to fly under an FC then you should follow orders, shut up unless you're asked to speak and if you think your FC is wrong, go FC yourself..

Back on thread and not moaning about ppl who aren't FCs.. the answer is most likely yes, when you're chew the fat with your corpies your FCs are friendly guys, your buddies.. but when they FC... they are not your mates, they're your commander.
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#19 - 2012-06-29 20:43:18 UTC
If you fleet with people you know it's not usually a big deal. Even when someone (OK, I admit it, usually I) does something stupid like drop a bomb on the wrong target it's usually just funny.

Larger fleets are going to operate better with the chatter kept to a minimum, though, so the ones that run the smoothest are probably going to have FCs that are more "professional" than "friendly". Outright abusiveness is likely a bit counterproductive as well, but if you're talking 30+ people in a single chat the joviality and dicking around usually needs to stay in the corp channel.
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#20 - 2012-06-29 21:07:51 UTC
We used to have a term we called 'the right to speak'
Because when some guy's give intel, it is important, relevent, current. And then they are silent until something else important comes up. I always liked to hear these ppl's voice.

If a newb was in fleet and started babbling on about this or that. He always wondered, "why can that guy talk and I can't?"
We would explain the 'rights' to him and try to let him enjoy the fleet without being a d*ck to him.

I think 75% of the people in EVE are adults, and want to be treated in an adult fashion.
I also think they know the difference between 'firm command' and just plain ass holes.

I have to admit, I like small fleets better.
I also have to admit, FC is a JOB! You try your best and still there will be people that b*tch

Things I hate:
Guy's that warp off and expect me to come save them.
Guy's that have no comms at all.
People that post Youtubes and **** in fleet.
Split DPS
People that engage too slow.
'Runners" Pilots that want to run at the first instinct.
People that want to commandere your fleet.
Fleets where NOBODY can take over if FC dies.

I look at killmails after fights. I can tell who was participating and who was derping.

123Next pageLast page