These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Technology Lab

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Delay of the CREST beta for developers

First post First post
Author
killallnerds exe
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#41 - 2012-11-16 18:07:05 UTC
I can't say I'm particularly excited about read/write to contacts and then 'it's up to the game designers' .
iskflakes
#42 - 2012-11-16 18:51:36 UTC
Are there any details about this "developer license" around? I don't understand why one should or would be required. If I am required to buy a developer license in order to spend my free time improving CCP's product with third party apps I can tell you now that I will not be buying one.

I hope CCP keep working on CREST though. I look forward to the day I can chat to my corp or update a market order without having to log into the game. The game client should only be for fighting other ships anyway.

-

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#43 - 2012-11-16 19:13:26 UTC
iskflakes wrote:
Are there any details about this "developer license" around? I don't understand why one should or would be required. If I am required to buy a developer license in order to spend my free time improving CCP's product with third party apps I can tell you now that I will not be buying one.

I hope CCP keep working on CREST though. I look forward to the day I can chat to my corp or update a market order without having to log into the game. The game client should only be for fighting other ships anyway.



It was talked about at fanfest.
https://plus.google.com/photos/104420254081686601186/albums/5723099856571622625

Free license, but tied to an account that you've paid for by credit card (so it's tied to an address. Legal reasons)

You still won't be able to charge money for stuff. That'll require a paid for license that you get by talking to CCP directly Blink

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#44 - 2012-11-16 19:14:20 UTC
killallnerds exe wrote:
I can't say I'm particularly excited about read/write to contacts and then 'it's up to the game designers' .



Something to be more excited about:

Single sign on via Eve Big smile

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

iskflakes
#45 - 2012-11-16 19:27:37 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
It was talked about at fanfest.
https://plus.google.com/photos/104420254081686601186/albums/5723099856571622625

Free license, but tied to an account that you've paid for by credit card (so it's tied to an address. Legal reasons)

You still won't be able to charge money for stuff. That'll require a paid for license that you get by talking to CCP directly Blink


Thanks for the link.

I pay for all 7 accounts by PLEX, so no developing for me..

The presentation says they are looking for feedback on the license, so here is my feedback: The license terms are too restrictive. This new license should only apply to developers who want to charge for their apps. If you do insist on going ahead with the credit card requirement, please place something in the EVE Store that costs $0.01 which we can buy to validate a card.

-

Jognu
French Kiss Singularity
#46 - 2012-11-17 15:39:24 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Single sign on via Eve Big smile

With the CREST API ?

EveAI developper: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=21803

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#47 - 2012-11-17 17:27:20 UTC
Jognu wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Single sign on via Eve Big smile

With the CREST API ?



The crest API depends on OAUTH2 to work. As long as we're provided an appropriate read only scope, to pull back minimal information (corp id, alliance id, pilot id, or similar) than we can do single sign on.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Szet Kaplak
Mando'a Logistics
#48 - 2012-11-19 14:17:23 UTC
CVA and friends will be happy with the automated syncing of contacts.

That will make their and their friends' life a lot easier.

However I would love to see another feature in CREST which is personal wallet write access... (corporate could come later).
This would enable a lot of the SRP programs to be automated, would simplify the payouts of websites such as EOH-Poker or Summer Blink.

Certain automated tasks could lift off a huge weight of those people who are running such popular services and would allow them to concentrate on their product instead of the management of it.
CCP Seagull
C C P
C C P Alliance
#49 - 2012-11-19 19:15:30 UTC
Peter Powers wrote:

so, please correct me if i got this wrong:


  1. you will put CREST on TQ but leave it disabled,
  2. we register for the license
  3. CREST will be available to us on Testserver, we will start building our first libs against CREST
  4. you monitor the impact of what we do on Testserver, and once your happy
  5. CREST will be enabled on TQ
  6. we can now start deploying apps to users that use CREST


Now, just a rough guess of time, and looking at the upcoming holidays, etc. this means we probably can start with the testserver in january, and it will be on TQ in February or March.
(hoping no marketing guy gets the great idea of delaying the tq release till fanfest)

is this a realistic estimate?


That list is pretty much exactly how it will happen.

As for time lines, we are hoping to get test server access launched before the holidays, but this might slip to January for sure, so yes,your timeline is pretty realistic, with possibility for faster turnaround if things go well.

Senior Producer, EVE Online Development CCP Games Reykjavik

CCP Seagull
C C P
C C P Alliance
#50 - 2012-11-19 19:18:13 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
killallnerds exe wrote:
I can't say I'm particularly excited about read/write to contacts and then 'it's up to the game designers' .



Something to be more excited about:

Single sign on via Eve Big smile


Yup, we will specifically provide single sign on as part of the Developer features we launch. This should hopefully make life easier for a number of EVE related applications, regardless of CREST.

Senior Producer, EVE Online Development CCP Games Reykjavik

CCP Seagull
C C P
C C P Alliance
#51 - 2012-11-19 19:20:29 UTC
iskflakes wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:
It was talked about at fanfest.
https://plus.google.com/photos/104420254081686601186/albums/5723099856571622625

Free license, but tied to an account that you've paid for by credit card (so it's tied to an address. Legal reasons)

You still won't be able to charge money for stuff. That'll require a paid for license that you get by talking to CCP directly Blink


Thanks for the link.

I pay for all 7 accounts by PLEX, so no developing for me..

The presentation says they are looking for feedback on the license, so here is my feedback: The license terms are too restrictive. This new license should only apply to developers who want to charge for their apps. If you do insist on going ahead with the credit card requirement, please place something in the EVE Store that costs $0.01 which we can buy to validate a card.


By the time we launch this, we will very likely, or in the near future from launch, have an option to do a free card transaction for identification purposes. So people will have the option to do that, or wait for the feature to be available in Account Management before agreeing to the Developer License.

Senior Producer, EVE Online Development CCP Games Reykjavik

Dan Hour
Greater Order Of Destruction
The Good Christian Society
#52 - 2012-11-20 06:04:27 UTC
Is the api going be using Oauth 2.0, and is it going to be RESTful with correct verbs or are we going to be doing nothing but gets with a huge query strings.... sorry pent up rage of nothing gets for a "RESTful" are spilling out.

Also choosing between json and xml would be nice, or do we have that already?
Desmont McCallock
#53 - 2012-11-20 07:28:46 UTC
Dan Hour wrote:
Also choosing between json and xml would be nice, or do we have that already?
It will more likely be Yaml.
Peter Powers
Terrorists of Dimensions
#54 - 2012-11-20 08:35:07 UTC
Desmont McCallock wrote:
Dan Hour wrote:
Also choosing between json and xml would be nice, or do we have that already?
It will more likely be Yaml.

bullshit.

this has been said on fanfest, there is already documentation on evelopedia, and there is an example project on github.

CREST in its first iteration will support oAuth2
CREST is a real REST API
and CREST in theory allows to choose the output by accept headers in the requests, but it will launch with json first. documentation is for json and the example is in javascript and using json
why on earth would you spread this yaml story?

3rdPartyEve.net - your catalogue for 3rd party applications

Desmont McCallock
#55 - 2012-11-20 10:10:48 UTC
Simple because SDE will be switched to Yaml. And why do you take it so personal? Someone can easily think that you are 'working' for CCP acting like that.
Snus Mumriken
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#56 - 2012-11-20 11:57:21 UTC
Desmont McCallock wrote:
Simple because SDE will be switched to Yaml. And why do you take it so personal? Someone can easily think that you are 'working' for CCP acting like that.


The SDE switching to YAML is for the internal development, so people don't have to deal with the database, but can work on (even human readable) files.

I'm on Twitter.

CCP Seagull
C C P
C C P Alliance
#57 - 2012-11-20 13:39:13 UTC
As a side note, if you are interested in some of the plumbing behind the scenes of how we are making CREST, these posts have a lot of detail on how we are using nginx to do loadbalancing and caching for CREST, given some of the pretty specialized requirements of a virtual world like EVE:

Load Balancing Stateful Services With Nginx
http://jimpurbrick.com/2012/07/30/load-balancing-stateful-services-nginx/

Adding Vary Header Support To Nginx
http://jimpurbrick.com/2012/10/14/adding-vary-header-support-nginx/

Caching Shared, Private Data With Ningx
http://jimpurbrick.com/2012/11/11/caching-restricted-data-ningx/

Senior Producer, EVE Online Development CCP Games Reykjavik

iskflakes
#58 - 2012-11-20 14:09:18 UTC
CCP Seagull wrote:
By the time we launch this, we will very likely, or in the near future from launch, have an option to do a free card transaction for identification purposes. So people will have the option to do that, or wait for the feature to be available in Account Management before agreeing to the Developer License.


Thanks for providing the option. I still don't like the Developer License concept -- I've never needed one to develop for other games -- But at least this will make it as painless as it can be..

-

Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#59 - 2012-11-20 14:34:29 UTC
CCP Seagull wrote:
As a side note, if you are interested in some of the plumbing behind the scenes of how we are making CREST, these posts have a lot of detail on how we are using nginx to do loadbalancing and caching for CREST, given some of the pretty specialized requirements of a virtual world like EVE:

Load Balancing Stateful Services With Nginx
http://jimpurbrick.com/2012/07/30/load-balancing-stateful-services-nginx/

Adding Vary Header Support To Nginx
http://jimpurbrick.com/2012/10/14/adding-vary-header-support-nginx/

Caching Shared, Private Data With Ningx
http://jimpurbrick.com/2012/11/11/caching-restricted-data-ningx/



i always want the devs to post more techporn, but you have posted hardcore techporn :/ im am more into softcore stuff :(
Peter Powers
Terrorists of Dimensions
#60 - 2012-11-20 15:09:25 UTC
Gilbaron wrote:
i always want the devs to post more techporn, but you have posted hardcore techporn :/ im am more into softcore stuff :(

why would you want softcore?

3rdPartyEve.net - your catalogue for 3rd party applications