These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What's with the casual Anti Semitism

First post
Author
PinkKnife
The Cuddlefish
Ethereal Dawn
#101 - 2012-06-26 17:04:26 UTC
Pantson Head wrote:
In this game? Why the hell do I see the word jew used as a prejoritive here more than anywhere else, without anyone speaking up in channels when it happens?
I used to see Goons as loveable scamps but the term they came up with for their cabal and used repeatedly in the self congratulation thread was just sickening. And it just gets snipped? Is it really not a big deal with anyone?

Didn't you know? if a bunch of non-jews decide the term isn't offensive, then you obviously can't be offended by it. Bashing minorities isn't offensive if they don't "really" mean it. Roll
Yatama Kautsuo
Tencus
#102 - 2012-06-26 17:07:31 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Yatama Kautsuo wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordechai_Vanunu

He's anti-semitic because he released Israeli state secrets about their nuclear weapons program? That's a bit of a stretch.

no. that's just one of the many things which causees the wide spread anti-semitism in this world.
Hatsumi Kobayashi
Perkone
Caldari State
#103 - 2012-06-26 17:16:30 UTC
Pantson Head wrote:
In this game? Why the hell do I see the word jew used as a prejoritive here more than anywhere else, without anyone speaking up in channels when it happens?
I used to see Goons as loveable scamps but the term they came up with for their cabal and used repeatedly in the self congratulation thread was just sickening. And it just gets snipped? Is it really not a big deal with anyone?

Dont be such a gentile

No sig.

Crunchie Attuxors
Always Another Corporate Venture
#104 - 2012-06-26 17:27:13 UTC
Yatama Kautsuo wrote:
stoicfaux wrote:
Yatama Kautsuo wrote:

He's anti-semitic because he released Israeli state secrets about their nuclear weapons program? That's a bit of a stretch.

no. that's just one of the many things which causees the wide spread anti-semitism in this world.

That is BS. Vanunu is a hero of humanity trying to stop the proliferation of world-destroying nuclear weapons. You should be ashamed, trolling aside.
Eve forums official anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudOFG5X6uA Real men tank hull. Fake women shield-tank Gallente.
Mutnin
SQUIDS.
#105 - 2012-06-26 17:30:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Mutnin
Pantson Head wrote:

Personally, I think it's a growing internet trend because people are tired of being reminded all the time by Jewish people how bad the Nazi's were. We all know they were bad and we know they did bad things to you.. we don't need fancy coined up terms like
"Anti Semitism" to remind us why Hitler was bad.

In fact the actual phrase "Anti Semitism" is a ridiculous term in the first place, because why do Jewish people seem to think they need their own special phrase or word for racism? Yes we understand the evil Nazi's did bad things to you.. but guess what, they did bad things to other people too.

There are bad things happening at this very moment all around the world and bad things have happened throughout history to various groups of people all over, yet there are only a few groups that seem to make it their goal to constantly remind everyone of these bad things trying to make it seem like everyone owes them a favor.
Ultim8Evil
Exit-Strategy
#106 - 2012-06-26 17:37:24 UTC
PinkKnife wrote:
Pantson Head wrote:

Didn't you know? if a bunch of non-jews decide the term isn't offensive, then you obviously can't be offended by it. Bashing minorities isn't offensive if they don't "really" mean it. Roll

They're hardly a minority, there's ******* millions of them, they own most of the US and they've been given their own country.

Follow me on Twitter for literally no good reason @TheUltim8Evil

highonpop
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#107 - 2012-06-26 17:42:46 UTC
1700 people in local
1600+ on grid
10 interceptors not tackling

Jewing never stops

FC, what do?

Holy One
Privat Party
#108 - 2012-06-26 17:43:15 UTC
Semantic change, also known as semantic shift or semantic progression describes the evolution of word usage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)

Gay.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay

Lesbian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesbian_(disambiguation)

Just a few examples of semantic change and disambiguated terminology that has evolved within the new cultures of online entertainment media.

Of course, some people don't like change and seek to apply their own arbitrary and subjective definitions to words and phrases and use their position of authority to ensure said definitions are canon.

:)

Aulx-Gao Ekanon
#109 - 2012-06-26 17:49:41 UTC
Mutnin wrote:
Pantson Head wrote:

Personally, I think it's a growing internet trend because people are tired of being reminded all the time by Jewish people how bad the ****'s were. We all know they were bad and we know they did bad things to you.. we don't need fancy coined up terms like
"Anti Semitism" to remind us why ****** was bad.

In fact the actual phrase "Anti Semitism" is a ridiculous term in the first place, because why do Jewish people seem to think they need their own special phrase or word for racism? Yes we understand the evil ****'s did bad things to you.. but guess what, they did bad things to other people too. .

The term was coined in the late 19th century in Germany as a more scientific-sounding term for Judenhass ("Jew-hatred"). It predates the crazy genocidal man with the funny mustache who tried to take over Europe.

_Naughty by nature, wicked by choice. _

Incindir Mauser
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#110 - 2012-06-26 17:51:04 UTC

The prevalence of casual racism is largely and internet cultural thing. Largely to do with the fact that it's easy to troll with it.

You may not even be a racist person in the sense that you are a racial supremacist. It's just something that gets people's goat and goads them into foaming at the mouth and shedding tears in mass quantities.

It's also a social litmus test to see how uptight people are.

It's backlash to political correctness. Those that hammer on racial equality are also the least likely to let it die.

Morgan Freeman did an interview with, I think it was Morley Schaeffer from 60 Minutes. His solution to racism. "Stop talking about it. I'll stop looking at you as a white man if you stop looking at me as a black man.". It really is that simple.
Ultim8Evil
Exit-Strategy
#111 - 2012-06-26 17:53:20 UTC
Aulx-Gao Ekanon wrote:
It predates the crazy genocidal man with the funny mustache who tried to take over Europe.

Stalin?

David Toviyah
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#112 - 2012-06-26 17:56:25 UTC  |  Edited by: David Toviyah
stoicfaux wrote:
Still better than that ridiculous “self-hating Jew” invention Roll
Ultim8Evil
Exit-Strategy
#113 - 2012-06-26 18:00:15 UTC
I'll just leave this here

stoicfaux
#114 - 2012-06-26 18:01:25 UTC
Yatama Kautsuo wrote:
stoicfaux wrote:
Yatama Kautsuo wrote:

Israel having nukes causes anti-semitism? Israel going after one of their citizens for treason causes anti-semitism? Seriously, I'm not grokking your point. Would the US going after Assange for leaking US diplomatic cables be called anti-caucasianism?

Anti-semitism is hating someone because they're Jewish, i.e. you're pre-judging pre-condemning them. Hating Israel because of its actions is the same as hating a Christian/Jew/Atheist/Pagan person because you think they act like a jerk. Meaning, hating Israel because it's a predominately Jewish state is anti-semitic and not okay. Hating Israel for its actions is okay.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Ban Bindy
Bindy Brothers Pottery Association
True Reign
#115 - 2012-06-26 18:05:46 UTC
Thorn Galen wrote:
I see players with 'Jesus' as their first name. This does not offend me at all.
It is a very common name in use for males in Portugal.

I see players with 'Koran' and 'Mohammed' in their names. Why should this offend anyone ?

I see the word 'Jew' used as a noun, adjective, invective verb and other flavours in the English language. If you take umbridge or feel insulted about this, then I urge you to reconsider what you are actually upset about. It's a word - you as an individual put whatever meaning you wish behind it. If it offends you, you have lost at the game of life, nevermind Eve.

It is no wonder that intelligent Aliens from other worlds (not bent on destroying us), give this planet a wide berth in their travels.

We have not matured as human beings. Hatred, religion, superstitions, wars, greed. The list goes on.

Eve is a mirror, how can anyone realistically expect it to be anything else ?

Political correctness is the bane of humanity. Get over word-use, get over being so sensitive. Grow.

I call a spade a spade and a Jew is a Jew, nothing more and nothing less. My Rabbi friend would be insulted if I did not tell him daily that he was a Jew. Be proud of being a jew and when you see the word being thrown about so freely and carelessly, laugh, because you know from whence you came.

That, or don't post in GD expecting mercy.

I bet you think this is an enlightened position. You are so honest with your blunt language and all. Your rabbi friend, if you have one, would probably be just fine if you did not mention anything about him at all, let alone every day.
Aulx-Gao Ekanon
#116 - 2012-06-26 18:06:55 UTC
Ultim8Evil wrote:
Aulx-Gao Ekanon wrote:
It predates the crazy genocidal man with the funny mustache who tried to take over Europe.

Stalin?

What are you talking about? Stalin had an awesome mustache!

_Naughty by nature, wicked by choice. _

Jack Togenada
Doomheim
#117 - 2012-06-26 18:11:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Jack Togenada
Eve online: Jews in space.

We're Jews out in space
We're zooming along
protecting the Hebrew race

We're Jews out in space
If trouble appears
we put it right back in its place

When goyim attack us
We give 'em a smack
we'll slap them right back in the face

We're Jews out in space
We're zooming along
protecting the Hebrew race

History of the world part 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAZhtT-dUyo
Adalun Dey
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#118 - 2012-06-26 18:12:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Adalun Dey
I was going to post a serious comment here, one about outrage, morals and decency and how all of you should be ashamed for making fun of other people's misery.

Then I read that joke about the Jew, the Irish and the Belgian all sitting in a pub and I'm still trying my best to keep myself from laughing. It still eludes me, though, as to why being Jewish is such a miserable thing that it can't be made fun of, but I'm sure the OP will soon enlighten us.

Here comes the punchline!

[i]" Take my love, take my land, take me where I can not stand, I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. "[/i]

Joe Skellington
Sarz'na Khumatari
#119 - 2012-06-26 18:18:53 UTC
The OP thinks "Jew" is an offensive word? That's racist.

Please note that ASCII art is not permitted in the forum signatures. Spitfire

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#120 - 2012-06-26 18:19:59 UTC
Mutnin wrote:
Pantson Head wrote:

Personally, I think it's a growing internet trend because people are tired of being reminded all the time by Jewish people how bad the ****'s were. We all know they were bad and we know they did bad things to you.. we don't need fancy coined up terms like
"Anti Semitism" to remind us why ****** was bad.

In fact the actual phrase "Anti Semitism" is a ridiculous term in the first place, because why do Jewish people seem to think they need their own special phrase or word for racism? Yes we understand the evil ****'s did bad things to you.. but guess what, they did bad things to other people too.

There are bad things happening at this very moment all around the world and bad things have happened throughout history to various groups of people all over, yet there are only a few groups that seem to make it their goal to constantly remind everyone of these bad things trying to make it seem like everyone owes them a favor.

i think we need a special word because we make up 0.002% of the worlds population but yet the world likes to blame all thier problems on us...

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.