These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

evewho.com - Showing more than I want to show. No privacy !

First post First post
Author
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#161 - 2011-09-21 13:45:08 UTC
ITT: Forum alts bitching and moaning about privacy.

I like the site, tbh CCP should just go ahead and list the characters within a corp under show info.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#162 - 2011-09-21 13:46:39 UTC
Jackk Hammer wrote:
This is the reason I never give my api key to anyone except trusted sites like Chribba's eveboard or pandemic-legion.com
…and guess what, those can be scraped, the names harvested, and then reversed into charIDs that can be called for more info.
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#163 - 2011-09-21 13:51:36 UTC
CCP is the best scam ever.

Ya Huei
Imperial Collective
#164 - 2011-09-21 14:21:31 UTC
Prince Kobol wrote:
Ya Huei wrote:
By posting it on this forum you made more people aware of this site. very smart.

By making it a website it is public for EVERYONE on the internet

luddite

I was just making the OP aware that him posting that site here was achieving the exact opposite of what he had intended, but I suppose the irony of that was lost to a simpleton like yourself.

Herbstleyd
Stern des Westens
The Hivemind Federation Alliance
#165 - 2011-09-21 16:52:10 UTC
IamBeastx wrote:
So, any bets on how many people went to evewho and entered there 'super secret' alts name to check if its there and therefore gave evewho another name to check??

Take the hint, people. Really, please do. Or don't. The latter would actually give us more people to spy on!
Bai Guang
Root.
#166 - 2011-09-23 06:41:15 UTC
C4LYP50 wrote:

This guy is exactly right. Alts who've never undocked, or had any impact (no buying/selling, speaking in local, etc.) on the game at all, are being shown here. This, to me, represents a prime example of API info gone way wrong. When all other options have been argued and refuted, this fact remains: You (CCP) changed the way the API works, and what can be gleaned from the data dumps. Now someone has datamined through your security hole, and I'm not appreciating your feeble attempt at damage control. As for the often used "its all information that you can glean ingame, publically available", I call BS. If this were true, it would have been done by someone long before now.

Just once, I'd like to have confidence in CCP to actually test stuff before it's pushed out live. Honestly............when are you people going to LEARN?

First I'd like to give props to Squizz for an awesome tool. Second, PeterPowers speaks the truth, and third this one goes to C4LYP50.... who said it wasnt done by some one a long time before now. This is just a public release of a capability that has been around a very long time.... Big smile
PyroTech03
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#167 - 2011-09-23 07:33:08 UTC
Thanks to the evewho.com guy....this will be helpful for war-dec's and recruiting (if people begin using the comment system on it)

Thank you OP for bringing it to my attention. If not for you, I would have never known about the site. Big smile
Jowen Datloran
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#168 - 2011-09-23 12:26:54 UTC
All this meta gaming crap is getting tedious.

If information is supposed to be public it should be so using the game client and easy accessible to boot. One could, as example, let corporation information list all current members and this topic will be a non-issue.

Mr. Science & Trade Institute, EVE Online Lorebook 

Amsterdam Conversations
Doomheim
#169 - 2011-09-23 13:31:39 UTC
You do realize that all this info could never be scraped from a KB? I'm pretty sure 50% of the characters on there never existed on a KB in the first place.

The fact that Evewho was linked on eve-kill for a while makes it pretty obvious that karb handles API keys in a way he shouldn't.

Then again, it doesn't provide any new information. If anything, it reduces :effort:.
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#170 - 2011-09-23 14:31:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Abdiel Kavash
Jowen Datloran wrote:
All this meta gaming crap is getting tedious.

If information is supposed to be public it should be so using the game client and easy accessible to boot. One could, as example, let corporation information list all current members and this topic will be a non-issue.

When you are fitting a new ship for the first time, do you run around, buy expensive faction mods, try different combintaions to see what fits and what doesn't, pick one, and sell off the remaining mods again? Or do you work it out using EFT and only buy the mods you need?

When you want to know how long will it take you to train for a marauder, do you look up all the neccessary books and their training modifiers, plug them into the SP formula, and divide by your training speed? Or do you make a plan in EVEmon and see it instantly?

When you need to move a carrier halfway across the universe, do you guesstimate the distances by eye and tell your cyno pilot to move to the system that appears to be closest to your destination? Or do you plan a route using dotlan?

If CCP started reinventing the wheel and adding all the tools the players already developed and perfected to the game (most likely in a half-arsed state), we would never see real content again.
Karbowiak
State War Academy
Caldari State
#171 - 2011-09-23 18:29:54 UTC
Amsterdam Conversations wrote:
You do realize that all this info could never be scraped from a KB? I'm pretty sure 50% of the characters on there never existed on a KB in the first place.

The fact that Evewho was linked on eve-kill for a while makes it pretty obvious that karb handles API keys in a way he shouldn't.

Then again, it doesn't provide any new information. If anything, it reduces :effort:.

What..

Well, lets say for a minute i am misusing the API keys, and i do access all the delicious goodies people have, what use would it have, when we use the new API system, and people only give us access to their killlog?

OH YEAH, i forgot, i can get all the corporations members, their standings, their pos locations, their wallet information etc. from the killlog.. or.. no, i can't..

Also, look here: http://eve-kill.net/?a=apikey
it even says: You only need to click the 'killlog' and the 'no expiration' option when creating the key.

So yeah, EVE-KILL is using peoples API keys in ways we shouldn't.. Roll
Hattori Hanzo
Session9
#172 - 2011-10-03 08:18:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Hattori Hanzo
You're so full of **** Karb. I've seen how you treat people/EVSCO users for the past 2 years and at some point I thought it was enough.

And now you're such a hypocrite advocating the new customizable API keys are so safe. What about all those old FULL API keys that were valid for the past 2-5 years? And some of them still are. If you treated moral concerns only half as bad as you treated people on IRC - then those keys have been long shared between your `cool kids` gang - you, beanie (EVSCO), Peter Powers (king-board), squizz (eve-who) - and prolly the list goes on. You lot all hang out on coldfront IRC and as far as I saw you're thick as thieves.

Now if what I'm saying is valid - then with the new CAKs in place, eve-who should see a serious decrease in intel quality in the next months/years as new API keys don't provide full character/corp API info anymore to EVSCO, which in turn cannot feed these `cool toys` anymore. But enough bad has been done, as squizz already got a large portion of the current Eve population mapped out.

Eve-who `harvesting the official CCP API` story as you tried to sell it? Maybe, but I seriously doubt it. You're not gonna endanger your official API feed with guessing and invalid requests - ergo getting ban-hammered by CCP. Abusing the EVSCO old FULL API keys and lying people to their faces is much easier and has no consequences - as no-one has access to your servers and no-one can held you accountable for your actions.

Too bad there isn't a serious EVSCO alternative (BC sucks balls). You lot did exactly what everyone does after being trusted with a lot of information (ie. power). Abuse it. Hei Karb does anyone takes serious your teen ADD rabble anymore (here or on IRC)? Iirc you're still a teen living with your parents amirite? Attention-wh0ring much on how awesome you are anymore?

--
Solution? Delete/update asap your old API keys (especially if you ever used them with EVSCO) and stop using EVE-KILL. Well it's kinda ironic now - damage's already been done and a lot of stuff has been mapped out for eve-who and new CAKs don't give anywhere near so much intel as old FULL API keys did.

But what matters in the end.. squizz you're so much cooler than Kronus Heilgar and his ECI! Excuse me while I go puke. You know you're griefing a lot of small-scale corps (ie. the little guy) for wanting to be `way cooler` rite? Enjoy it while it lasts, you sad panda.
Karim alRashid
Starboard.
#173 - 2011-10-03 09:54:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Karim alRashid
Ok, so if you've given your full API key, it's all your own fault, don't whine.

The insert-adjective-related-to-defecation part, is getting access to all the characters on your account from the old LIMITED API key. So, once you've given it to a killboard or alliance forums or a third party application, which accidentally shares them with freindsTwisted, you alts are revealed, if they happen to be in corps, you alt corps are revealed, getting more character names, potentially getting more limited API keys, etc.

The same applies to the new customizable API keys, which are created for "All" characters on an account - the request to https://api.eveonline.com/account/Characters.xml.aspx returns all character ids.

So, if this is an issue for you.

1. Biomass your alts.
2. Delete all your legacy API keys.
3. Create a new customizable API key and in the field "Character" select only one of the characters, instead of "All"
4. Check whatever else you want to make public, e.g., "KillLog".
5. Do not ever give out to anyone an API key, which is created for "All".
6. Create new alts.

Pain is weakness leaving the body http://www.youtube.com/user/AlRashidKarim/videos

Gregor Palter
#174 - 2011-10-03 10:18:53 UTC
Karbowiak wrote:
Amsterdam Conversations wrote:

What..

Well, lets say for a minute i am misusing the API keys, and i do access all the delicious goodies people have, what use would it have, when we use the new API system, and people only give us access to their killlog?

OH YEAH, i forgot, i can get all the corporations members, their standings, their pos locations, their wallet information etc. from the killlog.. or.. no, i can't..

Also, look here: http://eve-kill.net/?a=apikey
it even says: You only need to click the 'killlog' and the 'no expiration' option when creating the key.

So yeah, EVE-KILL is using peoples API keys in ways we shouldn't.. Roll

Yes lets completely not mention the old API keys that have been used since forever, because that might cause some embarrassment.

Excuses are the refuge of the weak.

Commander Spurty
#175 - 2011-10-03 11:16:27 UTC
If I was asked to populate a Corp Membership list, this is what unwound do:

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/EVE_API_Corporation_Member_Tracking

Requires only one member to yield their full API key

Now explain how this info can be used against you again?

Like character profiles, when you're fighting, seems like it would offer an advantage, but same question. How exactly?

Information that needs to be kept secret is your current ships fit. There is no API to pull that.

You are sort of over thinking the usefulness of this information.

For corps

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#176 - 2011-10-03 13:59:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaroslav Unwanted
Maybe stupid question ?

Does the site specify that certain amount of toons are from one real person ?

Does the site shows exact time you log in/out as well as the place you live ?

If not, i cant see why so many people are so freaked out about "theirs" imaginary in-game privacy.

Or is your new created corporation actually mover and shaker of the EVE world that everyone will just know it name and look for it in some 3rd party tool/ website etc. ?

You are probably the first and probably the last person who will ever look it up ..
Karbowiak
State War Academy
Caldari State
#177 - 2011-10-06 14:31:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Karbowiak
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
You're so full of **** Karb. I've seen how you treat people/EVSCO users for the past 2 years and at some point I thought it was enough.

And now you're such a hypocrite advocating the new customizable API keys are so safe. What about all those old FULL API keys that were valid for the past 2-5 years? And some of them still are. If you treated moral concerns only half as bad as you treated people on IRC - then those keys have been long shared between your `cool kids` gang - you, beanie (EVSCO), Peter Powers (king-board), squizz (eve-who) - and prolly the list goes on. You lot all hang out on coldfront IRC and as far as I saw you're thick as thieves.

Now if what I'm saying is valid - then with the new CAKs in place, eve-who should see a serious decrease in intel quality in the next months/years as new API keys don't provide full character/corp API info anymore to EVSCO, which in turn cannot feed these `cool toys` anymore. But enough bad has been done, as squizz already got a large portion of the current Eve population mapped out.

Eve-who `harvesting the official CCP API` story as you tried to sell it? Maybe, but I seriously doubt it. You're not gonna endanger your official API feed with guessing and invalid requests - ergo getting ban-hammered by CCP. Abusing the EVSCO old FULL API keys and lying people to their faces is much easier and has no consequences - as no-one has access to your servers and no-one can held you accountable for your actions.

Too bad there isn't a serious EVSCO alternative (BC sucks balls). You lot did exactly what everyone does after being trusted with a lot of information (ie. power). Abuse it. Hei Karb does anyone takes serious your teen ADD rabble anymore (here or on IRC)? Iirc you're still a teen living with your parents amirite? Attention-wh0ring much on how awesome you are anymore?

--
Solution? Delete/update asap your old API keys (especially if you ever used them with EVSCO) and stop using EVE-KILL. Well it's kinda ironic now - damage's already been done and a lot of stuff has been mapped out for eve-who and new CAKs don't give anywhere near so much intel as old FULL API keys did.

But what matters in the end.. squizz you're so much cooler than Kronus Heilgar and his ECI! Excuse me while I go puke. You know you're griefing a lot of small-scale corps (ie. the little guy) for wanting to be `way cooler` rite? Enjoy it while it lasts, you sad panda.

hahahahahahaha
Holy **** a wall of whine. :D

Anyway lemme answer your whine (which i did once already on IRC, but, yeah.. you're the gift that keeps whining).
1. the new API keys only give us access to what you tell us we can access, if you tick off killlog and only that, then thats what we can access, if you tick off everything, then thank you, we can now access everything.

2. the old apikeys have worked for a long time, that is true, but when we switched to the new keys, they were all deleted.

3. the api keys in the database hasn't been shared. All the information Squizz got with EVEWho was collected on his own accord. Same way the ECI dude did it.

But yeah, keep whining. Not like we are going anywhere because if you, infact. The whine just makes this so much more pleasent!

Anyway, keep on trollin'
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#178 - 2011-10-06 14:33:18 UTC
EVERYBODY generate an ERROR API call on their proxy :)
Karbowiak
State War Academy
Caldari State
#179 - 2011-10-06 14:38:48 UTC
Miilla wrote:
EVERYBODY generate an ERROR API call on their proxy :)

Have at it, its down like everything else while i move the database stuff around, lol.. Lol
Prince Kobol
#180 - 2011-10-06 15:02:18 UTC
To who ever created this site all I have to say GREAT JOB Big smile

I would just ignore all the whiners, in fact I wouldn't even waste your time responding to them

Haters will always hate Big smile