These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Goons 4x4ing through the Sandbox - Market Manipulation on a Grand Scale

First post First post First post
Author
Talon SilverHawk
Patria o Muerte
#1781 - 2012-06-22 22:44:32 UTC
Haquer wrote:
Sven Hammerstorm wrote:
It isnt really a secret that many a corp have gotten their titan/titans from exploiting FW before inferno. As long as you dont go public its ok Pirate

You can be sure that things like this will never go public again.

Aaaahh .. you'll exploit without telling anyone. Got it.

Good answer lol

Tal
Dictator IV
EPOCH Industrial
#1782 - 2012-06-22 22:45:01 UTC
Even though I have zero relation to GF or any of its members, I want to express my support of this endeavor. The ability to come up with a scheme on such a grand scale deserves to be lauded, not punished.

In my eyes, the appeal of EVE is that it allows you to beat others to the "top" in so many different way. Do you want to be the king or the peasant? You can be whatever you want if you put your mind to it, and that is what should separate EVE from the competition. Events like this actually bring me back into the game in hopes that I can someday be a space trillionaire. I'm sure that I am not alone in feeling that way.

Assets were gained legitimately, and should remain in their wallets/vaults/fortresses.
Talon SilverHawk
Patria o Muerte
#1783 - 2012-06-22 22:46:49 UTC
Aryth wrote:
Talon SilverHawk wrote:
Sven Hammerstorm wrote:
It is pretty clear that next time someone finds something like this, the last thing they should do is to try help and tell ccp. Ironic isnt it :P

No they should tell CCP but before they exploit the cr*p out of it.

If you walk in through an open door a nick some ones TV and goods, then a month later walk in and say, hey you kept leaving your door open and that's why your stuff keeps getting nicked, then are they going to :-

A. beat the crap out of you and call the police
B. turn around and say thank you very much for pointing that out and teachibg us a lesson, heres a cookie.

Tal

People DID tell CCP. That is the point.

Ok so then before you you walked through the open door you heard that they had been warned that this could happen, but did it anyway ??

Look it was some clever ****, but you had to know the cr*p was going to fly ?

Tal

No More Heroes
Boomer Humor
Snuffed Out
#1784 - 2012-06-22 22:46:56 UTC
Dictator IV wrote:
Even though I have zero relation to GF or any of its members, I want to express my support of this endeavor. The ability to come up with a scheme on such a grand scale deserves to be lauded, not punished.

In my eyes, the appeal of EVE is that it allows you to beat others to the "top" in so many different way. Do you want to be the king or the peasant? You can be whatever you want if you put your mind to it, and that is what should separate EVE from the competition. Events like this actually bring me back into the game in hopes that I can someday be a space trillionaire. I'm sure that I am not alone in feeling that way.

Assets were gained legitimately, and should remain in their wallets/vaults/fortresses.

Oh we are lauding alright. It's all this pubbie mess right here that can't understand the diabolical genius behind it.

Bootleg Jack
ACME Mineral and Gas
#1785 - 2012-06-22 22:47:13 UTC
lol @ this thread, ego masturbation

I'm an American, English is my second language...

corestwo
Goonfleet Investment Banking
#1786 - 2012-06-22 22:47:16 UTC
Better Than You wrote:
Makes me wonder why there are removing other assets outside of the faction warfare ones... RMT much little goonies?

Other assets removed were datacores Aryth had purchased prior to any of this starting. CCP can't tell the difference between datacores purchased prior to this and datacores that came from the LP store. Shocking, right?

This post was crafted by a member of the GoonSwarm Federation Economic Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

fofofo

Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1787 - 2012-06-22 22:48:54 UTC
Talon SilverHawk wrote:
Ok so then before you you walked through the open door you heard that they had been warned that this could happen, but did it anyway ??

Tal

thank you for your opinion ex-ASCN guy

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#1788 - 2012-06-22 22:51:20 UTC
Quote:
A game mechanic is legal as long as it's not labeled an exploit.

And CCP reserves the right to do anything they want to your account at any time for any reason, just like every game EULA.

The same people crying in this thread are the same people telling me CCP will never enforce said rule in other threads.

Quote:
'cause when the fry dies down what the **** you gonna do
Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Oisin Sandovar
Don't Die Interstellar Enterprises
#1789 - 2012-06-22 22:51:32 UTC
Paint
CCP also did nothing about the trillions (with a 'T') isk worth of profit BoB and their CCP allies made off the BPOs, 'player' events, etc.[/quote wrote:

True they never took away all the motherships that Bob/some others exploited out of the those events before they sacked all those player gms either did they.

Are you saying that CCP adapted? Roll

"And the only people I fear are those who never have doubts", Billy Joel, Shades of Grey

Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1790 - 2012-06-22 22:52:55 UTC
Talon SilverHawk wrote:
Aryth wrote:
Talon SilverHawk wrote:
Sven Hammerstorm wrote:
It is pretty clear that next time someone finds something like this, the last thing they should do is to try help and tell ccp. Ironic isnt it :P

No they should tell CCP but before they exploit the cr*p out of it.

If you walk in through an open door a nick some ones TV and goods, then a month later walk in and say, hey you kept leaving your door open and that's why your stuff keeps getting nicked, then are they going to :-

A. beat the crap out of you and call the police
B. turn around and say thank you very much for pointing that out and teachibg us a lesson, heres a cookie.

Tal

People DID tell CCP. That is the point.

Tal

No, we didn't. As far as we were concerned, this was a rah-rah thing for the EVE storyline in general, with no long term damage to EVE. Everything about the plan revolved around that. So no, we didn't think anything would be flying.

Leader of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal.

Creator of Burn Jita

Vile Rat: You're the greatest sociopath that has ever played eve.

Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1791 - 2012-06-22 22:52:58 UTC
Cipher Jones wrote:
Quote:

And CCP reserves the right to do anything they want to your account at any time for any reason, just like every game EULA.

The same people crying in this thread are the same people telling me CCP will never enforce said rule in other threads.

"Then they came for me, and nobody was left to speak up for me." ~ sun tzu

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Talon SilverHawk
Patria o Muerte
#1792 - 2012-06-22 22:53:36 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
Talon SilverHawk wrote:

Tal

thank you for your opinion ex-ASCN guy

Ex who ? what's that got to do with the price of eggs, oh knows, the guy that was part of a corp that was allied with with some forgotten Alliance has an opinion, woe is me, apart form the fact you just described half of Eve Roll

Tal

Linda Shadowborn
Dark Steel Industries
#1793 - 2012-06-22 22:54:22 UTC
Haquer
Vorkuta Inc
#1794 - 2012-06-22 22:55:54 UTC
Better Than You wrote:
Makes me wonder why there are removing other assets outside of the faction warfare ones... RMT much little goonies?

[Citation Needed]

Read the new forum rules, thanks. No rumors.
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#1795 - 2012-06-22 22:57:15 UTC
Richard Desturned wrote:
Cipher Jones wrote:
Quote:

"Then they came for me, and nobody was left to speak up for me." ~ sun tzu

The difference of course is that you bitches never spoke for me.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Enaris Kerle
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1796 - 2012-06-22 22:58:12 UTC
Haquer wrote:
Better Than You wrote:

[Citation Needed]

Read the new forum rules, thanks. No rumors.

that rule only applies to goon posts

Gallente born and raised, and tutored as a pleasure slave and courtesan to the exotic tastes of the Amarri court. Jade's career veered violently off course when a diplomatic envoy's transport was blown to pieces in mysterious circumstances and she was rescued from the escape pods by the enigmatic genetic mastermind Athule Snanm.

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#1797 - 2012-06-22 22:58:37 UTC
I appreciate the pace of Goon operations this year.

Can you imagine an EvE where there was more than one alliance actually doing stuff in this game?

Just sayin'.. ya'all alliance heads slackin'.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Inspiration
#1798 - 2012-06-22 22:58:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Inspiration
Meno Theaetetus wrote:
I presume CCP have claimed assets so that they can isolate damage whilst an investigation is on-going.

This is not an exploit, we need to draw a distinction between an exploit and a market manipulation. What was done was within the rules of the game, it was all done within the confines of set game mechanic.

.... lots of text ...

You can pretty much classify everything under that "game mechanic" name space. When things go wrong as in not as intended, which is the situation in this case....you cannot hind behind "the code/mechanic is as they intended". The code can still be open to exploits and effects they did not expect to happen and never intended.

In the end it is up to CCP to determine if the results are damaging enough to warrant action. SOmetimes they do take action, other times not. Guess how this scale of exploration is considered by CCP.

Playing word games to look completely void of wrongdoing isn't gonna cut it this time.

I am serious!

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#1799 - 2012-06-22 23:02:46 UTC
Django Returns wrote:
Where is your Sandbox now fanbois??

IF goons made a fortune by using their brains and free market, CCP should have no right to take ISK away. CCP would become pathetic and a joke...!

Bumping freighters on undock while webifying them is also considered exploitative behaviour but will be difficult to fix. It really is quite simple: some things in the game are broken due to design. It is up to the players to recognize that some mechanisms are broken, and not dive into those broken mechanics.
Landree
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1800 - 2012-06-22 23:04:26 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
Django Returns wrote:
Where is your Sandbox now fanbois??

IF goons made a fortune by using their brains and free market, CCP should have no right to take ISK away. CCP would become pathetic and a joke...!

Bumping freighters on undock while webifying them is also considered exploitative behaviour but will be difficult to fix. It really is quite simple: some things in the game are broken due to design. It is up to the players to recognize that some mechanisms are broken, and not dive into those broken mechanics.

This is complete junk. Bumping something while webbing it is not an exploit and have been specifically okay'd by CCP.

~10,058