These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Goons 4x4ing through the Sandbox - Market Manipulation on a Grand Scale

First post First post First post
Author
Richard Desturned
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1701 - 2012-06-22 21:39:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Richard Desturned
Lord Zim wrote:
Richard Desturned wrote:
Cutter Isaacson wrote:
It is not winning when you abuse a mechanic you know to be broken

good, so every alliance who has taken their tech moons through use of blapping titans should have them taken away

But that was clearly not broken, I mean they haven't changed titans since then, have they? :haw:

can we also get back the thousands of ships we lost to aoe dds, just on principle

they were broken too

npc alts have no opinions worth consideration

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#1702 - 2012-06-22 21:39:32 UTC
Jayrendo Karr wrote:
Werst Dendenahzees wrote:
Jayrendo Karr wrote:
Just because you told a bank owner how you robbed their bank doesn't mean you can keep the money you stole.

Technically they didn't rob a bank, they merely fixed inflation and robbed other players.

How does this fix inflation?

At least 500 billion were removed from the eve universe.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

asd3452
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1703 - 2012-06-22 21:39:52 UTC
PCGamer is currently writing an article about this massive about-face by CCP on Eve as a Sandbox. It should be interesting.
Anuillae Fourneaux
Calydon Inc.
#1704 - 2012-06-22 21:39:54 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Richard Desturned wrote:
Cutter Isaacson wrote:

good, so every alliance who has taken their tech moons through use of blapping titans should have them taken away

But that was clearly not broken, I mean they haven't changed titans since then, have they? :haw:

PC Gamer never reported the tech moons, though. There's the difference.

[center]How can there be resistance without leadership?

www.Proveldtariat.Wordpress.com[/center]

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#1705 - 2012-06-22 21:43:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Lord Zim
Anuillae Fourneaux wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:
Richard Desturned wrote:
Cutter Isaacson wrote:

I meant the tracking titans, not tech. but yes, it could just as easily reference tech, now that I think of it.

But yes, the common denominator of the last 2 incidents seems to have been "bad press". I guess a new burn jita wouldn't be looked upon as "******* awesome", now.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

asd3452
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1706 - 2012-06-22 21:46:43 UTC
CCP is taking unrelated assets from people who used a game mechanic. A mechanic CCP was told about, publicly, before it ever left the test server. CCP was told that this could happen if the patch went in unchanged. The patch went live unchanged.
Ghost Xray
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#1707 - 2012-06-22 21:49:56 UTC
I just realized this is the second time in the past few weeks where this statement seemed appropriate:

"We aren't trying to ruin the game, we're just trying to ruin your game" - CCP
Blawrf McTaggart
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1708 - 2012-06-22 21:52:18 UTC
asd3452 wrote:
PCGamer is currently writing an article about this massive about-face by CCP on Eve as a Sandbox. It should be interesting.

Talon SilverHawk
Patria o Muerte
#1709 - 2012-06-22 21:52:58 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Anuillae Fourneaux wrote:
Lord Zim wrote:
Richard Desturned wrote:
Cutter Isaacson wrote:

I meant the tracking titans, not tech. but yes, it could just as easily reference tech, now that I think of it.

But yes, the common denominator of the last 2 incidents seems to have been "bad press". I guess a new burn jita wouldn't be looked upon as "******* awesome", now.

**** me do you not sleep, what time zone are you in, are you some auto answering bot , are you a collective ....... Shocked

Tal

Billy Buysalot
Mega Ore Extraction
#1710 - 2012-06-22 21:53:08 UTC
asd3452 wrote:

It will be very hard for CCP to justify their current actions in relation to Burn Jita. I wonder how CCP will try and back down from this.
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#1711 - 2012-06-22 21:53:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
Scatim Helicon wrote:
Cutter Isaacson wrote:
Hmm, have we gone from "yay we are goons, we are awesome" to "oh dear we got caught and spanked" to "cheating should be ok because the mechanic was flawed" to "EVE is dying"?

We've gone from 'isn't this an awesome game where players control their own destinies in an open sandbox and this sort of thing is possible' to, 'hmmm, guess we were wrong about the whole open sandbox thing'.

Eve Online 2012: Winning is an exploit.

I can see your perspective, but think about it-- the outcome here was just completely skewed and unrealistic, based on manipulating a new feature from a new update. If it had been a massive scam on players, fine. Or market manipulation-- great, hats off to you. But just picking at a design loophole and exploiting it on a grand scale-- is that open sandbox? Clever and brilliant, yes. But desirable in the game?

Edit: Second attempt to say it better: Scamming players-- great, go for it. Scamming the game mechanics themselves-- not so cool.
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#1712 - 2012-06-22 21:54:16 UTC
Blawrf McTaggart wrote:
asd3452 wrote:

I hear there might even be a slashdot article !!!!

asd3452
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1713 - 2012-06-22 21:56:19 UTC
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:
Blawrf McTaggart wrote:
asd3452 wrote:

Where did you hear this? I am going by the public comments by a PCGamer senior editor.
Pisov viet
Perkone
Caldari State
#1714 - 2012-06-22 21:56:28 UTC
Eve 2012: Being able to read and comprehend a dev blog gets your assets removed

The only part of the "exploit" that wasnt implied in that devblog was "how EVE calculate the market value of items". And the answer happened to be "like a 2-weeks old newbie falling for a contract scam"
Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1715 - 2012-06-22 21:56:51 UTC
asd3452 wrote:
CCP is taking unrelated assets from people who used a game mechanic. A mechanic CCP was told about, publicly, before it ever left the test server. CCP was told that this could happen if the patch went in unchanged. The patch went live unchanged.

This cannot be stressed enough. These mechanics came in with the design having clearly been pointed out as bad to CCP. They brought in the mechanic anyway, we zergrushed that mechanic.

to Summerize.

CCP knew the design was flawed ahead of time
CCP Deployed it to the live server anyway
ZERGRUSH 5%
CCP Sees something. Nerf's Cargodrops.
CCP runs their price updater and enables the manipulated items to take effect.
ZERGRUSH with market price manipulated item 95%
CCP detects nothing
Goons: Hey CCP. Here is the entire write up. Oh good, you got the fix in fast. Hey, here are some more you missed.
Goons: Wow, Really Bro? Even crap not related to FW you take?

Leader of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal.

Creator of Burn Jita

Vile Rat: You're the greatest sociopath that has ever played eve.

Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#1716 - 2012-06-22 21:57:18 UTC
asd3452 wrote:
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:
Blawrf McTaggart wrote:
asd3452 wrote:

Where did you hear this? I am going by the public comments by a PCGamer senior editor.

apparently you weren't paying attention when i explained my elite secret irc channels
Anuillae Fourneaux
Calydon Inc.
#1717 - 2012-06-22 21:57:21 UTC
asd3452 wrote:
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:
Blawrf McTaggart wrote:
asd3452 wrote:

Can you please link to the public comments? I'd appreciate it.

[center]How can there be resistance without leadership?

www.Proveldtariat.Wordpress.com[/center]

Django Returns
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#1718 - 2012-06-22 21:57:47 UTC
Where is your Sandbox now fanbois??

IF goons made a fortune by using their brains and free market, CCP should have no right to take ISK away. CCP would become pathetic and a joke...

The market will regulate itsself?? Yeah, Goons will regulate your asses now!
Enaris Kerle
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1719 - 2012-06-22 21:58:45 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
But desirable in the game?

If we base punishment on "is behavior X desirable in the game", then we enter some dangerous territory, because on which basis do you define "desirable"? Also, is this defined before the punishment is doled out, or are those rules that (I assume) CCP will make up retroactive? But regardless, seizing capital gains that are a direct result of some "undesirable" behavior is one thing; taking a bunch of stuff now and sort it out some other time is a whole other can of worms.

Gallente born and raised, and tutored as a pleasure slave and courtesan to the exotic tastes of the Amarri court. Jade's career veered violently off course when a diplomatic envoy's transport was blown to pieces in mysterious circumstances and she was rescued from the escape pods by the enigmatic genetic mastermind Athule Snanm.

corestwo
Goonfleet Investment Banking
#1720 - 2012-06-22 21:58:51 UTC
Billy Buysalot wrote:
asd3452 wrote:

It will be very hard for CCP to justify their current actions in relation to Burn Jita. I wonder how CCP will try and back down from this.

I'd love to see them justify how this isn't okay, but mass insurance fraud was. Cool

This post was crafted by a member of the GoonSwarm Federation Economic Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

fofofo