These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Goons 4x4ing through the Sandbox - Market Manipulation on a Grand Scale

First post First post First post
Author
Bridgette d'Iberville
Better Killing Through Chemistry
#1661 - 2012-06-22 21:14:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Bridgette d'Iberville
For the love of all that is GOOD!

T5 Cashout

Please tell me they let you keep the two Civilian Miners and the Miner I...

"I considered a career in griefing, but then realized that I would never achieve the level of tear generation that CCP manages to do each and every expansion."

Cutter Isaacson
DEDSEC SAN FRANCISCO
#1662 - 2012-06-22 21:16:58 UTC
Hmm, have we gone from "yay we are goons, we are awesome" to "oh dear we got caught and spanked" to "cheating should be ok because the mechanic was flawed" to "EVE is dying"?

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." Elim Garak.

Werst Dendenahzees
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1663 - 2012-06-22 21:17:05 UTC
Oisin Sandovar wrote:
Blawrf McTaggart wrote:
one must ask what a world we have wrought when white hats are shat upon.

The 5 people involved were not white hats. They were grey hats.

By lashing out, CCP has just blackened their hats and souls with the darkest of infernal charcoal.

Pain will be dished out in due time.
Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1664 - 2012-06-22 21:17:12 UTC
Bridgette d'Iberville wrote:
For the love of all that is GOOD!

T5 Cashout

Please tell me they let you keep the two Civilian Miners and the Miner I...

They did. Those were there as a troll incase people remember civ miner guy out there. I guess no one remembered him.

Leader of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal.

Creator of Burn Jita

Vile Rat: You're the greatest sociopath that has ever played eve.

The Slayer
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#1665 - 2012-06-22 21:19:06 UTC
CCP How many people who abused the Pax Amarria thing did you remove ISK from? Oh thats right none.
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#1666 - 2012-06-22 21:19:25 UTC
Cutter Isaacson wrote:
Hmm, have we gone from "yay we are goons, we are awesome" to "oh dear we got caught and spanked" to "cheating should be ok because the mechanic was flawed" to "EVE is dying"?

probably just a troll

I'll believe CCP fixed the problem when they say they fixed the problem.
Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#1667 - 2012-06-22 21:19:31 UTC
Cutter Isaacson wrote:

No. Just that the game has changed a bit. Everyone will have their own opinion on if that is a good thing or not. Obviously I am biased but I have had this opinion every since they got neg-pressed into banning mittens. For something they clearly saw with their own eyes and ignored.

Leader of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal.

Creator of Burn Jita

Vile Rat: You're the greatest sociopath that has ever played eve.

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#1668 - 2012-06-22 21:19:41 UTC
Werst Dendenahzees wrote:
Oisin Sandovar wrote:
Blawrf McTaggart wrote:

By lashing out, CCP has just blackened their hats and souls with the darkest of infernal charcoal.

Big girls don't cry.
Werst Dendenahzees
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1669 - 2012-06-22 21:21:05 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
Oisin Sandovar wrote:
Blawrf McTaggart wrote:

Big girls don't cry.

It's not even a threat, it's a statement.
Sizeof Void
Ninja Suicide Squadron
#1670 - 2012-06-22 21:23:08 UTC
Aryth wrote:
Sizeof Void wrote:
Aryth wrote:
The major point being. There is no incentive to report anything to CCP. You are far better off trying to get away with it quietly.

Uh, no.

And, just for the record, suggesting that players engage in this sort of behavior is a much more serious EULA violation - one which can get you slapped with a ban, not just a negative wallet. No matter how upset you might be, don't go there, Aryth.

By me suggesting people are far better off trying to game the system quietly than overtly? There were no exploits here as far as I am concerned. CCP romping around siezing assets not even related to this clearly shows they feel differently. Playing the game to the limits of their design is now officially an exploit. This is bigger than this specific case. This is not the CCP of old.

This was meant as advice, not criticism. You appear to be overly upset with CCP's response, so I'm just suggesting that you calm down before posting anything that might make matters worse.

When Helicity and Liang got banned last year, they both lost their temper in public and said a few things - true or not - that wasn't appreciated by CCP. They would have both done better to cool off and stay away from the keyboard for a couple of hours.

Note: I have a hot temper, too, and I end up deleting more of my responses than I actually post on the forums.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1671 - 2012-06-22 21:23:15 UTC
The Slayer wrote:
CCP How many people who abused the Pax Amarria thing did you remove ISK from? Oh thats right none.

I'd be interested to see if possible the total worth of the Pax Amarria issue as compared to this.
Cutter Isaacson
DEDSEC SAN FRANCISCO
#1672 - 2012-06-22 21:23:50 UTC
Aryth wrote:
Cutter Isaacson wrote:

No. Just that the game has changed a bit. Everyone will have their own opinion on if that is a good thing or not. Obviously I am biased but I have had this opinion every since they got neg-pressed into banning mittens. For something they clearly saw with their own eyes and ignored.

If there are members of your alliance who have had items removed despite not having anything to do with this mess, then I have plenty of sympathy for them, but for those who knew exactly what they were doing I have none to spare. Bringing up past and unrelated incidents does nothing to strengthen your argument I'm afraid.

Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1673 - 2012-06-22 21:25:24 UTC
Cutter Isaacson wrote:

We've gone from 'isn't this an awesome game where players control their own destinies in an open sandbox and this sort of thing is possible' to, 'hmmm, guess we were wrong about the whole open sandbox thing'.

Eve Online 2012: Winning is an exploit.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Cutter Isaacson
DEDSEC SAN FRANCISCO
#1674 - 2012-06-22 21:25:27 UTC
Khergit Deserters wrote:
Oisin Sandovar wrote:
Blawrf McTaggart wrote:

Big girls don't cry.

It's not even a threat, it's a statement.

That sort of statement is unwarranted and is a complete over reaction to the current situation. You would do well to take a self enforced break from gaming if you cannot distance yourself properly.

corestwo
Goonfleet Investment Banking
#1675 - 2012-06-22 21:25:41 UTC
Aryth wrote:
Cutter Isaacson wrote:

Right. CCP got in bed with Sony for DUST and it clearly changed their sensibilities. Sony doesn't do sandbox games, Sony does games with very strict rules. That concept and sandbox games don't mesh well.

Tyberius Franklin wrote:
The Slayer wrote:

I'd be interested to see if possible the total worth of the Pax Amarria issue as compared to this.

1.8 billion units of nocxium were produced from the Pax Amarria thing.

This post was crafted by a member of the GoonSwarm Federation Economic Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

fofofo

Quebber
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1676 - 2012-06-22 21:25:46 UTC
EVE is a lesser sandbox today, a lesser game gloat all you wish little by little freedoms of innovation and limits pushed removed one at a time.
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#1677 - 2012-06-22 21:26:54 UTC
Sony took all my sand and Fleet issue tempests.
Werst Dendenahzees
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1678 - 2012-06-22 21:27:00 UTC
Cutter Isaacson wrote:

That sort of statement is unwarranted and is a complete over reaction to the current situation. You would do well to take a self enforced break from gaming if you cannot distance yourself properly.

I'm not even in the extreme finance group, I'm just saying that next time they won't go easy on the market like they did this time.
Jayrendo Karr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1679 - 2012-06-22 21:27:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Jayrendo Karr
Just because you told a bank owner how you robbed their bank doesn't mean you can keep the money you stole. If the goons had anysense they'd of kept their mouths shut for massive profit, waving that e-peen around brings nothing but trouble.
Cutter Isaacson
DEDSEC SAN FRANCISCO
#1680 - 2012-06-22 21:27:26 UTC
Scatim Helicon wrote:
Cutter Isaacson wrote:

We've gone from 'isn't this an awesome game where players control their own destinies in an open sandbox and this sort of thing is possible' to, 'hmmm, guess we were wrong about the whole open sandbox thing'.

Eve Online 2012: Winning is an exploit.

It is not winning when you abuse a mechanic you know to be broken, any more than it is legal to keep a bag of cash a bank robber dropped on his way out of the bank.