These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

Can someone explain the diff (another MinerHate-related thread)

Author
Nefertiri Ra'apharo
Mabad Ilhba Alasw'd
#1 - 2012-06-04 17:54:30 UTC
Ok I know there's severe prejudice against Carebear Miners right now, but can someone tell me why it does not extend to traders? You know the kind - those who only have Trade skills trained (and maxxed) and sit in station 23.5/7 and don't ever EVERRRRR even undock their entire game life. Aren't they the ultimate Carebear, worse even than miners? I mean they have zero ship skills and at least the miners actually undock and have trained to fly something bigger than a racial frigate. Following the logic of the popular Miner-hate, shouldn't these guys be even higher on the Who-to-Hate list since they are playing Eve even wrong-er than Miners because they don't even FLY!? Or are they not getting any Hate simply because since they don't undock they can't get 'sploded?

Discuss.
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-06-04 17:55:55 UTC
Dude .. your head
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
Darth Tickles
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-06-04 17:57:55 UTC
Because they can't touch us...unlike stupid miners.


WOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Darth Tickles
Doomheim
#4 - 2012-06-04 17:58:33 UTC
Jita 44 for life!

Represent.

Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#5 - 2012-06-04 17:59:07 UTC
Market pvp is deadly! You don're want get involved in those who wage war over .01 isk.
Ituhata Saken
Killboard Padding Services
#6 - 2012-06-04 17:59:53 UTC
They are subject to the whim of other players because they buy at prices dictated by the sellers, it's fiscal pvp. Miners can bring in ore, the raw material in which everything in EvE is made of, and dictate price to the trader, therefore he is directly affected.

The issue is some think they should be allowed to bring in the base materials and dictate price without having to fear being affected by other players.

So close...

THE L0CK
Denying You Access
#7 - 2012-06-04 18:00:19 UTC
You can't hurt somebody who never leaves a station, miners are at least big flying bulls eye's.

Do you smell what the Lock's cooking?

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#8 - 2012-06-04 18:00:52 UTC
Trading is PvP with ISK, mining is PvE against things that can't shoot back.
Ban Bindy
Bindy Brothers Pottery Association
True Reign
#9 - 2012-06-04 18:00:59 UTC
So you know what all traders are like and have confirmed that what you say is true? Or you're just generalizing about a group of players you know crap-all about?

Because it's well known of course that if you train your skills for a hulk you are forbidden to learn any other skills, and certainly NO player has ever none PVP after mining, or along with mining. I'm sure that trading skills have the same limitations.

After all, the world has to fit in neat little categories or else we can't deal with it.
Nyreanya
Serenity Labs
#10 - 2012-06-04 18:01:43 UTC
Nefertiri Ra'apharo wrote:
the logic of the popular Miner-hate

Found your problem, there is none.

[/sarcasm]

Ban Bindy
Bindy Brothers Pottery Association
True Reign
#11 - 2012-06-04 18:02:32 UTC
Akita T wrote:
Trading is PvP with ISK, mining is PvE against things that can't shoot back.


Are there a lot of games that involve mining where the rocks fight back? I'm sorry, I can't think of any.
Price Check Aisle3
#12 - 2012-06-04 18:03:06 UTC
Ban Bindy wrote:
After all, the world has to fit in neat little categories or else we can't deal with it.

You should categorize yourself as a "player who threatened to quit and actually quit".
  • Karl Hobb IATS
Darth Tickles
Doomheim
#13 - 2012-06-04 18:04:16 UTC
I should add that my biggest market move so far involved over 200b in one item at one time...that's a bigger risk than almost anyone in the game takes besides guys who are dual-boxing titans.

Not that I care either way what people think, but just to add some detail to the discussion.
Makkal Hanaya
Revenent Defence Corperation
#14 - 2012-06-04 18:05:51 UTC
Nyreanya wrote:
Nefertiri Ra'apharo wrote:
the logic of the popular Miner-hate

Found your problem, there is none.

If you have any recognizable category of people, there will always be someone who hates them.

Render unto Khanid the things which are Khanid's; and unto God the things that are God's.

Ituhata Saken
Killboard Padding Services
#15 - 2012-06-04 18:12:35 UTC
Makkal Hanaya wrote:
Nyreanya wrote:
Nefertiri Ra'apharo wrote:
the logic of the popular Miner-hate

Found your problem, there is none.

If you have any recognizable category of people, there will always be someone who hates them.


IMO its those who take the risk to be in a more dangerous area and because of that want more isk for their ore but can't dictate it because a ton of players in the most secure regions of space are bringing in so much ore that the bottom fell out on ore prices. So that's probably what got the ball rolling as the "gankers" started trying to interrupt the "carebears" operations and things got interesting when the carebears ran to the forums to beg for absolute protection from them. Now there's a poo flinging session in progress and people somewhere in the middle are wondering why all the hate, but I see it...

I see it..... *sage nod*

So close...

Cloned S0ul
POCKOCMOC Inc.
#16 - 2012-06-04 18:16:10 UTC
J3ssica Alba wrote:
Dude .. your head


In my opinion very good Awatar, it remimid to me ancient Egyptians.

Back to op, they alts, traders, and scamers, they immune form any interaction, grief and any kind of haras, so nobody care.
Grandpa Bill
Twin Lakes Retirement Home
#17 - 2012-06-04 18:27:34 UTC
Back in the 50's there were these guys we called lady men, they sat in their offices and talked on the phones and made money just sittin there. Come to think of it, we didnt really call them lady men... I cant really remember what it was that we called them but the point of the matter was that they didnt seem to work hard for what they got... They remind me of the squirrels that keep gettin in my bird food. Last week I got this nifty bird feeder that would keep the squirrels out but it didnt work at all. I took it back to the store to get a refund but they wanted the receipt and I cant find it anywhere. I looked everywhere and I even had my grandson Jimmy look for it under the couch. That Billy is a good kid, always helpin me out. I think I'll look for it later, after I get a quick nap in. But just remember, keep your receipts or you cant return your bird feeders.

Grandpa Bill

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#18 - 2012-06-04 18:30:40 UTC
Nefertiri Ra'apharo wrote:
Ok I know there's severe prejudice against Carebear Miners right now, but can someone tell me why it does not extend to traders?
Because they accept the risks of their profession and don't whine up the entire forums every time they get beaten and incur a loss.

Also, because they're far more vicious PvPers that incur far larger losses than any other group in highsec.
Nefertiri Ra'apharo
Mabad Ilhba Alasw'd
#19 - 2012-06-04 18:38:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Nefertiri Ra'apharo
Cloned S0ul wrote:
J3ssica Alba wrote:
Dude .. your head


In my opinion very good Awatar, it remimid to me ancient Egyptians.

Back to op, they alts, traders, and scamers, they immune form any interaction, grief and any kind of haras, so nobody care.



So if these miners were only out to make isk, wouldn't it be a lot smarter and cheaper to just max out Trade skills and sit in station to trade? I mean it's about as AFK as you can get, just set it and forget it (well maybe check yer prices periodically) and you don't have to shell out isk for big fat Hulk fleets plus fittings. And skillbooks.
And if the beef with the miners is because they AFK, .. well.. traders pretty much corner the market on AFK (pun intended).

I dunno I'm just trying to make sense of all this.
KrakizBad
Section 8.
#20 - 2012-06-04 18:44:19 UTC
Ban Bindy wrote:
Akita T wrote:
Trading is PvP with ISK, mining is PvE against things that can't shoot back.


Are there a lot of games that involve mining where the rocks fight back? I'm sorry, I can't think of any.

This one, it's called Hulkageddon.
123Next page