These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Prometheus, a film by Ridley Scott

First post
Author
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#41 - 2012-06-08 12:48:03 UTC
Destination SkillQueue wrote:

I actually sort of want to see it now just for the lolz.

Seems like a frustrating experience on the whole. Like they had masters of their craft and incompetent baboons in the same team making the film. You get a taste of a masterpiece and what the movie could have been, but the bad is too strong to ignore and turns the overall experience sour.


Well, to be fair the film Aliens wasn't exactly top notch for its plot either and had major plot-holes in it and inconsistent characters...

CARTER BURKE enters a small office, occupied by an under-paid and overworked INTERN, who looks like they were born with grey bags under their eyes.

CARTER
(pacing like crazy)
"You're not going to believe this!"

INTERN
"What?"

CARTER
"Remember that plannetoid we're terra-forming?"

INTERN
"LV-42...6?"

CARTER
"Well, hold onto your hat, because I just got out of a meeting where it turns out there is an Alien Spaceship on that planet!"

INTERN
"No...Fuckin'...way!"

CARTER
"That's not the best part!"

INTERN
"Go on..."

CARTER
"Apparently, they is a hostile Alien presence on the ship that has the ability to kill lots of people and they even have acid for blood! How cool is that...I mean...Acid! Imagine how much that would be worth for the bio-tech division!"

INTERN
"Huh? What about the spaceship?"

CARTER
"What do you mean?"

INTERN
"You're not interested in the spaceship itself? The way it flys, its method of moving from one planet to another? Its propulsion systems alone could change the very nature of space travel for the entire human race and usher in the dawn of a new existence - not to mention any medical knowledge and technology they might have on board"

CARTER
"Screw that, I want to take the most dangerous and illogical path with the narrowest of outcomes to gain a short term profit with an unpredictable and unknown hostile Alien that took out an entire crew of another ship in less than 24 hours!"

INTERN
"Right...so, ignore the intern again?"

CARTER
"Ignore the intern again...and get me on a secure channel to LV426 so I can send them to the ship for no reason, and potentially get a nuclear chain reaction started due to lack of maintenance on the atmospheric processor"

INTERN
"You sure you don't want to attempt a military intervention and send lots of disposable grunts by the thousands to wipe everything out and take the potentially-human-history-changing-alien-technology and become immortalized?"

CARTER
"No. Stop asking me completely logical questions!"

INTERN
"ok"

CARTER
"And stop looking at those medical facility photos of Lt. Ripley"


(so needed that scene in the final film)

This space for rent.

Graelyn
Aeternus Command Academy
#42 - 2012-06-08 19:20:13 UTC
95% of the people in this thread are complete idiots.

Also, they play EVE Online (Eww!).

This movie is incredible, and you should see it in 3D if at all possible.

People expecting to have all the answers delivered to them on a silver plate are the reason good movies don't get made anymore. Hopefully the lot of them will turn out to be sterile.

Cardinal Graelyn

Amarr Loyalist of the Year - YC113

AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#43 - 2012-06-08 20:25:58 UTC
Graelyn wrote:
95% of the people in this thread are complete idiots.

Also, they play EVE Online (Eww!).

This movie is incredible, and you should see it in 3D if at all possible.

People expecting to have all the answers delivered to them on a silver plate are the reason good movies don't get made anymore.


No, a film which has a poor story and weak characters, wrapped up in a meandering mess of inconsistencies and illogicalities just makes for a poor film.

Oh, and the fact that you are easily impressed by something in 3D says it all - because you must be impressed with reality, as this has always been in 3D.

Have your opinion, by all means, but slapping down people for slating something you worship is how wars start.

A film should have characters, a story and some sense of logic to it - and a conclusion (flying off to never-never-land does not count)

The characters (regardless of how good the acting was) were not interesting - in fact they were pretty boring, and I lost count the amount of times they were acting in ways which contradicted either themselves or the plot, or the general theme, or basic logic.

Nothing was resolved - albeit resolved badly, 'like someone being crushed under a falling spaceship for no reason other than the writers inability to understand a characters arc and how to conclude it. And these are major characters, not red shirts on an away mission ffs.

So, totally sorry about this, but you do not understand films, film logic, story construction, progression, pace,...characters and anything else to do with movies.

No trolling, really not, and I'd be happy to debate this, but you cannot defend something indefensible, like this overblown and elaborate joke that Ridley Scott has played on you.

Sorry - but this film needed Hicks, or Hudson, because this one line I am going to quote made more of a connection with the audience than the entire film you wish to propose to.

"Game over man, game over!"

This space for rent.

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2012-06-08 22:01:16 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:
Destination SkillQueue wrote:

I actually sort of want to see it now just for the lolz.

Seems like a frustrating experience on the whole. Like they had masters of their craft and incompetent baboons in the same team making the film. You get a taste of a masterpiece and what the movie could have been, but the bad is too strong to ignore and turns the overall experience sour.


Well, to be fair the film Aliens wasn't exactly top notch for its plot either and had major plot-holes in it and inconsistent characters...

CARTER BURKE enters a small office, occupied by an under-paid and overworked INTERN, who looks like they were born with grey bags under their eyes.

CARTER
(pacing like crazy)
"You're not going to believe this!"

INTERN
"What?"

CARTER
"Remember that plannetoid we're terra-forming?"

INTERN
"LV-42...6?"

CARTER
"Well, hold onto your hat, because I just got out of a meeting where it turns out there is an Alien Spaceship on that planet!"

INTERN
"No...Fuckin'...way!"

CARTER
"That's not the best part!"

INTERN
"Go on..."

CARTER
"Apparently, they is a hostile Alien presence on the ship that has the ability to kill lots of people and they even have acid for blood! How cool is that...I mean...Acid! Imagine how much that would be worth for the bio-tech division!"

INTERN
"Huh? What about the spaceship?"

CARTER
"What do you mean?"

INTERN
"You're not interested in the spaceship itself? The way it flys, its method of moving from one planet to another? Its propulsion systems alone could change the very nature of space travel for the entire human race and usher in the dawn of a new existence - not to mention any medical knowledge and technology they might have on board"

CARTER
"Screw that, I want to take the most dangerous and illogical path with the narrowest of outcomes to gain a short term profit with an unpredictable and unknown hostile Alien that took out an entire crew of another ship in less than 24 hours!"

INTERN
"Right...so, ignore the intern again?"

CARTER
"Ignore the intern again...and get me on a secure channel to LV426 so I can send them to the ship for no reason, and potentially get a nuclear chain reaction started due to lack of maintenance on the atmospheric processor"

INTERN
"You sure you don't want to attempt a military intervention and send lots of disposable grunts by the thousands to wipe everything out and take the potentially-human-history-changing-alien-technology and become immortalized?"

CARTER
"No. Stop asking me completely logical questions!"

INTERN
"ok"

CARTER
"And stop looking at those medical facility photos of Lt. Ripley"


(so needed that scene in the final film)


They're already terraforming other planets so he can derive a different means of propulsion that no one will care for because they can take a frozen nap and wake up wherever they wanted to go or make instant hundreds of millions of dollars... hard choice What?

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Alara IonStorm
#45 - 2012-06-08 23:03:26 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:

They're already terraforming other planets so he can derive a different means of propulsion that no one will care for because they can take a frozen nap and wake up wherever they wanted to go

They freeze themselves because of the ridiculous travel times. 2 Lightyears a day.

Faster speed means planets can be resupplied quickly instead of long supply chains that can't adapt to sudden need. Speeds up communication between colonies as well.

Makes defense against threats like I don't know a possibly faster ship with maybe better weapons definitely filled with Aliens that can murder entire ships at the age of immediately. Literally born killing stuff. That is the kind of threadtyou might want someone to look into and gear up for sooner rather then later. Sure study the Aliens but 10 to 1 the ship is a hundred times more valuable and you'll want to secure it like yesterday...

Or like 6 months from now because you know the travel thing... Just gotta hop a 5 LY a minute alien fleet doesn't cut the human empire in half in 2 days while your waiting. Even if the ship isn't that great the amount of intel on a race humanity will be meeting would be invaluable to a mega-corporation in so many ways.
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#46 - 2012-06-09 00:35:35 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:

They're already terraforming other planets so he can derive a different means of propulsion that no one will care for because they can take a frozen nap and wake up wherever they wanted to go

They freeze themselves because of the ridiculous travel times. 2 Lightyears a day.

Faster speed means planets can be resupplied quickly instead of long supply chains that can't adapt to sudden need. Speeds up communication between colonies as well.

Makes defense against threats like I don't know a possibly faster ship with maybe better weapons definitely filled with Aliens that can murder entire ships at the age of immediately. Literally born killing stuff. That is the kind of threadtyou might want someone to look into and gear up for sooner rather then later. Sure study the Aliens but 10 to 1 the ship is a hundred times more valuable and you'll want to secure it like yesterday...

Or like 6 months from now because you know the travel thing... Just gotta hop a 5 LY a minute alien fleet doesn't cut the human empire in half in 2 days while your waiting. Even if the ship isn't that great the amount of intel on a race humanity will be meeting would be invaluable to a mega-corporation in so many ways.


It's a derelic ship... meaning the aliens have a few centuries better tech than the **** in there so it won't make a difference.

Think Japanese Zero vs. F-22.

sure, if the Zero is upgraded to a Mig 15 it's better but not enough to make a difference. Screw people, get rich and have your own harem. That's the way to go Big smile

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Alara IonStorm
#47 - 2012-06-09 00:45:22 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:

It's a derelic ship... meaning the aliens have a few centuries better tech than the **** in there so it won't make a difference.

Think Japanese Zero vs. F-22.

sure, if the Zero is upgraded to a Mig 15 it's better but not enough to make a difference. Screw people, get rich and have your own harem. That's the way to go Big smile

It really depends on how fast technology advances and how effective it is. You could be looking at a single shot rifle rifle vs an Assault Rifle which would be a big improvement over swords... F-22 could ether be a bad example or a great example depending on how much new technology they discover instead of how much they innovate on current designs.

Ether way I think you would get pretty rich if you were the only one with alien super nukes. Possibly rule the human race depending on how advance they are.
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#48 - 2012-06-09 01:12:47 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:

It's a derelic ship... meaning the aliens have a few centuries better tech than the **** in there so it won't make a difference.

Think Japanese Zero vs. F-22.

sure, if the Zero is upgraded to a Mig 15 it's better but not enough to make a difference. Screw people, get rich and have your own harem. That's the way to go Big smile

It really depends on how fast technology advances and how effective it is. You could be looking at a single shot rifle rifle vs an Assault Rifle which would be a big improvement over swords... F-22 could ether be a bad example or a great example depending on how much new technology they discover instead of how much they innovate on current designs.

Ether way I think you would get pretty rich if you were the only one with alien super nukes. Possibly rule the human race depending on how advance they are.


Wait, I thought the aliens were the nuke What?

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Bernie Nator
Habitual Euthanasia
Pandemic Legion
#49 - 2012-06-09 09:17:30 UTC
I saw it, and even though it had it's holes, I did not care, for it was an Alien film by Ridley Scott, and that was all I needed to enjoy it. Also, glad to see he remembered to use all that symbolism. Although the last scene could have had a better looking Thing-what-I-won't-mention-but-you-can-probably-guess-what-it-is.
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#50 - 2012-06-09 10:17:40 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
Wait, I thought the aliens were the nuke What?


I think what might have been better/more believable with the 'Aliens' film would have been a plot which made sense, like:

Galaxy-wide mega corporation try and take Alien spacecraft they found on planet they were terra-forming, only to find extremely dangerous Alien lifeforms waiting for them...

Other thing that's been bugging me, the time it took for Prometheus to get to its destination...two years?

Didn't take that long for the U.S.S. Sulaco, think it took 3 weeks and...they could expect to be rescued within 17 days?

This space for rent.

Evet Morrel
Doomheim
#51 - 2012-06-09 15:21:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Evet Morrel
I wish it weren’t so, pushing past all the people who made this movie that night.

We’d have prefered to have gone to the pub with the people we chatted with before the picture began. To have celebrated this movie, but as my friend said “I don’t have the strength of character to lie to them.” Later I thought how wrong she was, it doesn't take strength of character to lie, you only need fear the opinion of others more than the loss of integrity. But I'd no stomach for telling people who worked so hard to produce something as highly finished as Promethus that it didn't work either - nor to rank it better than other forgettable rubbish. I wanted more! Alien was perhaps formulaic, but it's also the most convincing sifi horror ever made and I will alway love it!

Allykat is right, I’m sorry to say. Although I don't necessarily need everything to be explicable - in fact exposition can ruin a good film. Anyway, I can tolerate being confused - I loved Donny Darko for instance, and I don't care who knows it.

However the film lacked dramatic tension nor did it sufficiently develop the necessary emotional connection with the protagonists, there was a disconnect. There was a moment when that disconnect became jarringly apparent, or was critically tested. Do you remember when Elizabeth Shaw, played by the amazing Noomi Rapace, is lying on the ground, after a not very close scrape with her progeny, screaming, “I can’t take this anymore, I just want it to stop” or words to that effect. Ask yourself honestly what were you thinking when she uttered those words.

I wanted the ineffable, to be transported or at least wonderstruck. But to paraphrase Allykat, I’ll f-ing tell you all about it, if you like!

I’m very glad that some of you liked it, even if I didn't - I have some indirect interest in it succeeding. But to all you 'idiots', I know exactly where you're coming from.


The answer to the conundrum I set was of course ‘plot-less’.
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#52 - 2012-06-10 10:18:39 UTC
If your film does not connect with an audience - you got nothin' but a bunch of actors repeating dialogue, and who cares what happens to them?

This space for rent.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#53 - 2012-06-10 13:22:42 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:


Didn't take that long for the U.S.S. Sulaco, think it took 3 weeks and...they could expect to be rescued within 17 days?


U.S.S Sulaco was not only a military ship but also at least 90 years more advanced.
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#54 - 2012-06-10 14:11:46 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:


Didn't take that long for the U.S.S. Sulaco, think it took 3 weeks and...they could expect to be rescued within 17 days?


U.S.S Sulaco was not only a military ship but also at least 90 years more advanced.


Then why'd it look so... 80s inside? P

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Lyron-Baktos
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2012-06-10 15:13:44 UTC
The main writer from the tv show Lost was the main writer of this movie.
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2012-06-10 16:09:35 UTC
Lyron-Baktos wrote:
The main writer from the tv show Lost was the main writer of this movie.


Should've used the writers for MLP Big smile

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Buzzmong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2012-06-10 19:53:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Buzzmong
I'd give the film a 6 or a 7.

Visually the film was very good, lots of nice touches and I especially liked the internals of the Prometheus having the same visual styles as the Nostromo and Sulaco. Some sneaky touches as well with the imagry used.

I also like the fact it was pretty much all filmed on proper sets.

Plot wise however it was a bit meh. It was lacking something, either in the pacing, the events or the characters themselves. I can only assume that if there's a Special or Director's Cut, then the added scenes should help with one or the other.

I was suprised at a couple of things though, one was Vickers' death being done poorly, especially when all she needed to do was turn 90 degrees to the left and run a few meters to avoid it. I feel it would have been better if she would have made it to the lifeboat only to get attacked by the Engineer. Something a bit less silly.

The second was the David character being handled pretty poorly and being a poor copy of Ash from Alien. Far too obvious he was one of the bad guys from too early on. A waste as there was some good chances to expand the character and delve further into the questions that were touched upon by the film, especially on the topic of creation ("Why'd you make us?", "Because we could" etc).

I think as a TLDR:

Film is very good up until the sandstorm. Falls apart shortly after. A directors or special edition if they add scenes may improve it.


Edit: It's on par with Alien 3 and 4 methinks, both of which are massively better than the AvP films (which are utter tripe).
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#58 - 2012-06-11 20:51:30 UTC
I saw the CCP subliminal advertising on the captains shirt... *golf clap*

http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/7317/original/wey.jpg?1338330841

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#59 - 2012-06-12 13:30:27 UTC
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#60 - 2012-06-13 08:41:12 UTC
So, I finally got to see it and I am really glad I saw it in the cinema where the amazing visuals got justice (even though I really ******* detest this 3D fad). If I had seen it on a small screen the terrible plot flaws would have probably spoiled the entire movie for me. As it is I left the cinema satisfied but disappointed.
To be clear, there are many great plot items and ideas in the movie, but then when it was time to glue it all together it all went to hell in a handbasket.
Visuals : 11/10
Plot : 4/10