These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Prometheus, a film by Ridley Scott

First post
Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#21 - 2012-06-01 21:38:17 UTC
This is the third best film in the alien univerce. Stunning to watch, go see it in 3D on a massive screen.
Hrothgar Nilsson
#22 - 2012-06-01 21:42:56 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
Since it is Ridley Scott, yes there will be sex. Or more accurate term would be "Surprise Sex". I watched prometheus and I can say that I am rather impressed.

SPOILERS BELOW

There is "Surprise Sex" and Immaculate conception, Peter Weyland playing a large part in the film. This predates the "Weyland Mittani" corporation, in this timeline the Mittani corp that has the predator tech from AVP is hinted at but not in a huge way.

Oh did I mention there is a Autistic Guy called David? Yeah he is really cool, he follows orders and dosent afraid of anything. I think he might be a robot and not actually autistic, maybe both. SpaceJockeys make an appearance and they are all evil and ****, Or are they?....

AVP is a separate fictional universe from Prometheus... Peter Weyland (b. 1990s) as the founder of Weyland Industries in the 2010s/2020s instead of Charles Bishop Weyland.
Onyx Nyx
State War Academy
Caldari State
#23 - 2012-06-02 13:57:37 UTC
One thing that I am honestly not very happy with modern film is that effects take up more and more than story and Prometheus seem to be no exception.

I kill kittens, and puppies and bunnies. I maim toddlers and teens and then more.

• Richard (http://www.lfgcomic.com/)
Xenuria
#24 - 2012-06-02 16:14:44 UTC
Onyx Nyx wrote:
One thing that I am honestly not very happy with modern film is that effects take up more and more than story and Prometheus seem to be no exception.

Implying effects can't be used to tell a story...
Onyx Nyx
State War Academy
Caldari State
#25 - 2012-06-02 18:54:05 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
Onyx Nyx wrote:

Well, I think overall Alien was a better film with a more organic feel to it whereas Prometheus was more of a special effects demonstrator, like Avatar.

I kill kittens, and puppies and bunnies. I maim toddlers and teens and then more.

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2012-06-03 18:06:57 UTC
Onyx Nyx wrote:
Xenuria wrote:
Onyx Nyx wrote:

Well, I think overall Alien was a better film with a more organic feel to it whereas Prometheus was more of a special effects demonstrator, like Avatar.

I liked Avatar Sad

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Reiisha
#27 - 2012-06-03 23:17:37 UTC
Onyx Nyx wrote:
Xenuria wrote:
Onyx Nyx wrote:

In all honesty, Avatar felt like the better film. It was actually more cohesive.

Prometheus has a lot of stuff that didn't need to be there. The 3D was good, but completely unnecessary and never actually used when it might matter. However, the main story thread just didn't make sense - Contradictions and logical fallacies galore.

Somehow it felt like i wasted my money :/

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Onyx Nyx
State War Academy
Caldari State
#28 - 2012-06-04 12:45:35 UTC
Reiisha wrote:
Onyx Nyx wrote:
Xenuria wrote:
Onyx Nyx wrote:

In all honesty, Avatar felt like the better film. It was actually more cohesive.

Prometheus has a lot of stuff that didn't need to be there. The 3D was good, but completely unnecessary and never actually used when it might matter. However, the main story thread just didn't make sense - Contradictions and logical fallacies galore.

Somehow it felt like i wasted my money :/

I really am torn about Prometheus, on one hand I think I would've enjoyed the film more if it had stood more on its own legs rather than leaning on the Alien franchise because as a sci-fi movie, I found it enjoyable but on the other hand I was disappointed because it is called a prequel.

It wasn't really asted money for me because all things considering the staggering amount of really bad movies out there...

And I disliked Avatar a lot more than Prometheus, Pocahontas in space with space-smurfs... :p

Alexandra Delarge
The Korova
#29 - 2012-06-04 14:49:35 UTC
I was left with lots of questions after seeing this film. Imo this was intentional because they will obviously be making a sequel. Ridley Scott said that it would take 2 or 3 more films before the story caught up to the original Alien.
Reiisha
#30 - 2012-06-04 18:25:20 UTC
Alexandra Delarge wrote:
I was left with lots of questions after seeing this film. Imo this was intentional because they will obviously be making a sequel. Ridley Scott said that it would take 2 or 3 more films before the story caught up to the original Alien.

MAJOR SPOILERS

1) Engineers "create" humanity. When exactly? The first scene showed scotland, not a primordial earth.
2) They intended to kill humanity 2000 years ago. When no one checked in to the engineer homeworld, did no one come and check whether it was actually done? No one of their race missed the people that were gone?
3) What possible reason did Wayland have to be there at all for the movie to work? Talking to the engineer could have worked without him, possible even better.
4) Why did David poison Holloway? He had no directive to do so and endangered his 'father's life by bringing that vase on board in the first place.
5) Why did the engineer act so hostile right off the bat? Feels like a plot contrivance to make them 'the bad guys'.
6) How did Shaw figure out they made the alien plague?
7) How did such a superior race let such a weapon get out of control? Where were the creatures they 'fathered'?
8) Why did they flee INTO the gestation chamber?
9) Why put a gigantic engineer head statue in there?
10) Why bother with a message to lure humanity to a staging area, one they would most likely not even return from? This especially makes no sense as they apparently intended to just fly to earth anyway.
11) They intended to kill off humanity at least 2000 years ago. Why then? How could humans be a threat at that point?
12) Mega facehugger.
13) Why did the facehugger burst out of Shaw instead of Holloway? Why did she get 'pregnant'?

Some of them could be explained i admit, but those explanations would be so contrived and especially unfathomable for a race which surely could not have gotten that far by being horribly inefficient and reckless.

That, and while the idea of the Engineers is awesome, the execution is poor beyond measure.

Honestly, there's nothing that can save this plot... A lot of the movie 'happened' at random, at least it feels like that.

END OF SPOILERS

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Da7id Huren
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2012-06-04 19:20:42 UTC
Barring literal catastrophe, I will proceed straight from work to the theater on Friday. I will see it at least once that night, and probably again over the weekend. Scott invented current look and feel of a scifi film. Before Alien (I'm old and recall plenty before Alien in '79), the future was all bright and shiny and nobody argued about the bonus situation. Further, Blade Runner is my favorite movie of all and I've probably seen it 60 times. Not that I'm saying Scott can do no wrong. I am working very hard on accepting the edit to "I want more life, father." Before the change, I thought it was the best prayer I'd ever heard. And, if it's at all applicable, I hope Giger gets paid this time without dispute. Finally, I'm sorta sweet on Noomi . . . . She was here in
Center City Philly filming recently so I carefully looked up how to pronounce her names, just in case I, y'know, bumped into her like . . .
Price Check Aisle3
#32 - 2012-06-04 20:29:24 UTC
Reiisha wrote:

**** I was really looking forward to Prometheus, but if it's worse than some cookie-cutter hero-journey special-effects jerk-off job from a director I actually had a little respect for, my hopes aren't high.
  • Karl Hobb IATS
Edward Khurelem
Khurelem Research and Development
#33 - 2012-06-05 05:05:34 UTC
I plan on seeing it regardless, nothing better then going into a film not expecting and coming out pleasantly surprised like I have done with countless movies over the years.

I plan on seeing it because I am an absolute sucker for sci-fi moves, even if they are absolute crap.

My two cents.

P.S I never ever listen to those stupid movie critics, their opinions are invalid the best of time and usually extremely bias
Price Check Aisle3
#34 - 2012-06-05 05:15:00 UTC
Edward Khurelem wrote:
P.S I never ever listen to those stupid movie critics, their opinions are invalid the best of time and usually extremely bias

Those damn movie critics... Everybody has an opinion.

I, too, shall be seeing it regardless.
  • Karl Hobb IATS
Edward Khurelem
Khurelem Research and Development
#35 - 2012-06-05 05:52:37 UTC
Price Check Aisle3 wrote:
Edward Khurelem wrote:

Those damn movie critics... Everybody has an opinion.

I, too, shall be seeing it regardless.

:) I feel stupid for putting the never ever haha
Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#36 - 2012-06-05 15:30:12 UTC
Prometheus isn't so bad that you should skip watching it altogether but it does have obvious plot holes that you could drive a planet through; such as the main character being chased by the crew and the chase stops dead in it's tracks after the first door and 10mins later everyone's like "Oh hi, we had like orders to detain you but suddenly we all have this amnesia ..."
It's obvious that the scene after had been filmed before earlier scene; which isn't anything unusual but rarely has the editor ****** up this badly in a hollywood A-film made by seasoned director or R. Scott has dropped the ball badly with this one.
Nirnias Stirrum
UberWTFBBQ and Battle Technologies
#37 - 2012-06-06 15:42:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Nirnias Stirrum
I actually liked the movie, then again i went in not knowing a thing about it, didnt read any reviews about it, didnt see any trailers.. i didnt even know it was a sci fi movie, i perked up when the name Weyland Industries popped up and i asked my friend if this was a prequal to aliens and she said it was, it was then that i got excited like a school girl at her prom!
Nachteule Kohen
#38 - 2012-06-06 16:39:37 UTC
not trying to troll... i do love scifi (when its good) but it seems most modern films are crappy story, good visuals... *coughtroncough* is the biggest example.

this prometheus and the new total recall will be the same... just visuals...
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#39 - 2012-06-08 09:46:39 UTC
CAPTAIN
"Hey, we've got a lifeform moving towards you - see you in the morning, I'm off to **** Oscar winning actress Charlize Theron"

RED-SHIRT
"Wait! What?!?"

CAPTAIN
"It's gone now, 'probably' just a glitch, nite!"

RED-SHIRT
"Hey, maybe you should confirm that, seeing how we are on a desolate remote planet that has no breathable atmosphere"

CAPTAIN
"Nah, I'm just going to assume everything will be okay in the morning, which goes completely against my character traits as later on, on the basis of what one person says and with no evidence, I'm going to slam this ship into another ship killing everyone on board"

RED-SHIRT
"What?"

CAPTAIN
"Wrap up warm gentlemen, hahaha!"
(off screen)
"Hey! Git yo boney white ass into my cabin"

(this is literally the dialogue of the entire film)

This space for rent.

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#40 - 2012-06-08 10:13:59 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:
CAPTAIN
"Hey, we've got a lifeform moving towards you - see you in the morning, I'm off to **** Oscar winning actress Charlize Theron"

RED-SHIRT
"Wait! What?!?"

CAPTAIN
"It's gone now, 'probably' just a glitch, nite!"

RED-SHIRT
"Hey, maybe you should confirm that, seeing how we are on a desolate remote planet that has no breathable atmosphere"

CAPTAIN
"Nah, I'm just going to assume everything will be okay in the morning, which goes completely against my character traits as later on, on the basis of what one person says and with no evidence, I'm going to slam this ship into another ship killing everyone on board"

RED-SHIRT
"What?"

CAPTAIN
"Wrap up warm gentlemen, hahaha!"
(off screen)
"Hey! Git yo boney white ass into my cabin"

(this is literally the dialogue of the entire film)

I actually sort of want to see it now just for the lolz.

Seems like a frustrating experience on the whole. Like they had masters of their craft and incompetent baboons in the same team making the film. You get a taste of a masterpiece and what the movie could have been, but the bad is too strong to ignore and turns the overall experience sour.