These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Is the penalty for suicide-ganking too high?

Author
Qvar Dar'Zanar
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#221 - 2012-06-13 00:56:07 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Excuse me.

Is this the thread for risk averse, combat frightened morons to cry about a mechanic that they are in no way required to participate in?

Let me just say this:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Mr Epeen Cool

I'm not sure if you're talking about the gankees or about the gankers.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#222 - 2012-06-13 01:09:59 UTC
Barbelo Valentinian wrote:
Darth Gustav wrote:
Asuri Kinnes wrote:

So your argument that something cheaper shouldn't be able to do so much damage to something so much more expensive is actually very, very much wrong...

The argument fails in terms of "do serious damage to" or "cripple", but it doesn't necessarily fail in terms of "blowing the whole thing to smithereens". Ships in EVE are blown to smithereens, there's no such thing as "blow a hole in the side of" or "cripple".

How much TNT would it take to actually totally blow up an entire oil tanker so that all that's left is a few bits of scrap metal?

In Eve Online we have wrecks.

Yeah, have you looked at a wreck recently? They're just some hunks of scrap metal, in no way resembling either the shape or even size of the original craft.

So my question to the knowledgeable person was, what would it take not just to sink a tanker or put it out of commission, but to actually blow the whole thing up to the analogue of a "wreck" in EVE - you know, what you have after you get the big 'splosion, the one with smithereens flying everywhere? Lol

Depends how small the smithereens to which you require the ship to be blown are. If you want something small and consistant, no amount of explosives will do the job, it takes a wrecker (equivalent to reprocessing).

Wrecks in EvE can be looted and/or salvaged.
Sunken or Wrecked ships in RL can be looted and/or salvaged.

The fact that EvE's visual representation of wrecks is some scraps of metal that don't vary with ship size points to the idea that they are not meant to be representative of how blown up the ship is. Once it's unfit for use, it's blown up and becomes a wreck.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Asuri Kinnes
Perkone
Caldari State
#223 - 2012-06-13 01:43:02 UTC
Yeah, have you looked at a wreck recently? They're just some hunks of scrap metal, in no way resembling either the shape or even size of the original craft.

So my question to the knowledgeable person was, what would it take not just to sink a tanker or put it out of commission, but to actually blow the whole thing up to the analogue of a "wreck" in EVE - you know, what you have after you get the big 'splosion, the one with smithereens flying everywhere? Lol

Real life analogies don't translate well to a video game, other than in broad strokes. Again, the point is, a very (relatively) cheap force, if applied correctly can cause great damage.

Bob is the god of Wormholes.

That's all you need to know.

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#224 - 2012-06-13 11:16:31 UTC
Asuri Kinnes wrote:

Real life analogies don't translate well to a video game, other than in broad strokes. Again, the point is, a very (relatively) cheap force, if applied correctly can cause great damage.

I know it's a bit of a taboo subject to some, but uhh... Al'qaeda understood that you can use cheap means to bring down something really expensive. Why can't these highsec miners who make themselves out to be very intelligent also understand this?

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Rasmido
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#225 - 2012-06-13 12:07:49 UTC
Spikeflach wrote:
Loss of any ship is no loss. They know its going to be lost, at the time they undock.

Corrected that for you.
Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#226 - 2012-06-13 12:46:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Bloodpetal
The only problem with Suicide ganking is I can't shoot them first.

P

Move to low sec/null sec, and stop hiding in a place where you can't defend yourself!

The irony of High Sec is simple : "You are safe, but so is the guy trying to kill you!

Where I am.

Viktor Fyretracker
Emminent Terraforming
#227 - 2012-06-13 21:46:37 UTC
completely obliterating a ship at least in reality would take precision demolition. even a USN carrier could not turn a merchant vessel into something like an EVE wreck.... But the Mythbusters could.... remember the cement mixer...

EVE is like swimming on a beach in shark infested waters,  There is however a catch...  The EVE Beach you also have to wonder which fellow swimmer will try and eat you before the sharks.

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#228 - 2012-06-13 21:51:03 UTC
Viktor Fyretracker wrote:
completely obliterating a ship at least in reality would take precision demolition. even a USN carrier could not turn a merchant vessel into something like an EVE wreck.... But the Mythbusters could.... remember the cement mixer...

Carriers don't have much firepower. Assuming you meant a carrier air wing, they could easily blow something to smithereens over the course of emptying the magazines. Carriers hold a lot of munitions for their planes.

A battleship would also do pretty well, though you'd need target callers once the wreckage was strewn about.

The cement truck was the result of a confined explosion. Confined explosions do cool things.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Viktor Fyretracker
Emminent Terraforming
#229 - 2012-06-13 21:56:41 UTC
yes just imagine the explosion if one say.... Filled an entire oil tanker with that mining explosive. and I mean every tank right up to the top with bags of mining charges or AMFO... Now that would be an explosion.

EVE is like swimming on a beach in shark infested waters,  There is however a catch...  The EVE Beach you also have to wonder which fellow swimmer will try and eat you before the sharks.

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#230 - 2012-06-13 22:06:05 UTC
Viktor Fyretracker wrote:
yes just imagine the explosion if one say.... Filled an entire oil tanker with that mining explosive. and I mean every tank right up to the top with bags of mining charges or AMFO... Now that would be an explosion.

At a certain point the initial detonation will start spreading the rest of the charge too far to detonate. It's the same problem that high yield nuclear warheads have. How to hold the thing together long enough to use all the available energy.

Cari Cullejen
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#231 - 2012-06-13 23:11:08 UTC
Yes

Keep protecting those innocent defenseless asteroids from the evil hulks, coveters, and retrievers that roam the "high security" space...

What are you looking for here? Read the post!

Asuri Kinnes
Perkone
Caldari State
#232 - 2012-06-13 23:15:57 UTC
Cari Cullejen wrote:
"high security" space...

Not "invulnerable..." Space...

Glad you were able to point that out to us...

Bob is the god of Wormholes.

That's all you need to know.