These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE charactor creator never ceases to amaze me

First post
Author
Lipbite
Express Hauler
#41 - 2012-05-29 20:24:22 UTC
Perramas wrote:
I mean who wants new missions, ships, game play, bug fixes and better balance between existing ships when you can have such a great character generator.

Sure thing - we got all those things you've mentioned during last year of focused FiS development. Frankly, I've started to believe Miila is correct about EVE is in the end of life cycle according to CCP and company is trying to get away from this game while distracting subscribers with missile smoke and ship trails.

Meanwhile I've seen message somewhere in the thread about blog post related to captain quarters planned on 29th - where is it?
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#42 - 2012-05-29 21:20:04 UTC
Lipbite wrote:
Perramas wrote:
I mean who wants new missions, ships, game play, bug fixes and better balance between existing ships when you can have such a great character generator.

Sure thing - we got all those things you've mentioned during last year of focused FiS development. Frankly, I've started to believe Miila is correct about EVE is in the end of life cycle according to CCP and company is trying to get away from this game while distracting subscribers with missile smoke and ship trails.

Meanwhile I've seen message somewhere in the thread about blog post related to captain quarters planned on 29th - where is it?

Wel, May 29th publishing slot has been taken by the new Crucible fix, May 30th should still be open unless the CSM meeting spends it, so maybe May 31st has got a good publishing chance. Roll
Josef Djugashvilis
#43 - 2012-05-29 21:59:40 UTC
Like the fact that I can have the long gone hair of my younger days.

Mind you, my hair was about twice as long as that in my portrait.

That alone makes the CC good to me.

This is not a signature.

Lady Bavmorda
Grau Foundation
#44 - 2012-05-29 22:34:30 UTC
Argh this thread had me restyling all my toons!
Meat Explosion
The Incontinent Dog and Pony Rodeo
#45 - 2012-05-29 22:55:13 UTC
The latest patch has made me a damn handsome man...
Dessau
The Scope
#46 - 2012-05-29 23:58:12 UTC
Shian Yang wrote:
If you want to see unique capsuleers, have a look at the images from capsuleer Reality X's competition.

Many more than the last time I visited, with many excellent new sculptures. A nice diversion from ultraviolent space opera, care of an outstanding tool.
CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#47 - 2012-05-30 00:54:16 UTC
Dessau wrote:
Shian Yang wrote:
If you want to see unique capsuleers, have a look at the images from capsuleer Reality X's competition.

Many more than the last time I visited, with many excellent new sculptures. A nice diversion from ultraviolent space opera, care of an outstanding tool.

Wow, great portraits Smile... I think my favorite there is Isis Dea. There is just some very subtle sadness in the eyes that just draws me in Smile

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

Celeste Taylor
Ruby Dynasty
#48 - 2012-05-30 04:37:43 UTC
I believe Reality X goes around saving snapshots of people he likes. He then asks politely if he can use your image in his gallery. The one he used for my character was actually not the most recent one, but fortunately one of my favorites. Aliera (a "borrowed" first and last name) is my month old "trial account" character who had a few minor factional and other issues. I made my brand new main here when I subscribed to a 1 year membership.

The gallery is has a nice variety and Reality X has put some effort into it.
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2012-05-30 06:23:55 UTC
Shian Yang wrote:

Capsuleer Fazmarai is a very bland, average look for a capsuleer. There are scores upon scores that took that look for their clones.

Pot calling Kettle black.

Indahmawar Fazmarai has created some very good looks for the Avatar and is not afraid to experiment with the Character Creator.
Jonni Favorite
Red Slice Enterprise
#50 - 2012-05-30 06:57:13 UTC
I'm guessing the CC was created more with WoD in mind than Incarna, which I don't mind a bit. Can't wait for WoD to come out: Eve-like pvp with a vampire theme based on an established fantasy world. Can't wait!
CCP Phantom
C C P
C C P Alliance
#51 - 2012-05-31 11:47:52 UTC
Off topic posts removed. Please stay on topic and polite, thank you.

On some other note: I like the distribution of light/darkness and the overall gravity of luZk on EVE-Portraits. The creativity and skills of you, our players, never ceases to amaze me.

CCP Phantom - Senior Community Developer

RAP ACTION HERO
#52 - 2012-05-31 12:01:46 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
Shian Yang wrote:

Capsuleer Fazmarai is a very bland, average look for a capsuleer. There are scores upon scores that took that look for their clones.

Pot calling Kettle black.

Indahmawar Fazmarai has created some very good looks for the Avatar and is not afraid to experiment with the Character Creator.

lol astonishingly creepy white knighting, for a dude.

vitoc erryday

Kopfy
#53 - 2012-05-31 12:57:00 UTC
The CC is without a doubt great and if we could get all the stuff that are just laying in the db, unable for us at this moment, pretty please, it would be even greater.

One thing though, the shadows changes from the portrait creator to the actual portrait. Making, as an example, my eyes visible in its finished state but hidden in shadow in the creator. A smaller annoyance, but as log as you don't take a closer look you don't notice it.

And last, thanks for giving back the hair color options and expanding the skin colors. Love you Devs!
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#54 - 2012-05-31 13:01:20 UTC
Kopfy wrote:
The CC is without a doubt great and if we could get all the stuff that are just laying in the db, unable for us at this moment, pretty please, it would be even greater.

One thing though, the shadows changes from the portrait creator to the actual portrait. Making, as an example, my eyes visible in its finished state but hidden in shadow in the creator. A smaller annoyance, but as log as you don't take a closer look you don't notice it.

And last, thanks for giving back the hair color options and expanding the skin colors. Love you Devs!

I too love the devs, but somehow miss that they were able to expand color choices without removing the color of my avatars...Lol
REALITY X
Dark Matter Commodities
#55 - 2012-06-30 13:08:56 UTC  |  Edited by: REALITY X
Almost all of the portraits in the Gallery on EVE Portraits have actually been submitted to me by the players themselves, although there are still quite a few that I kindly asked if they minded me putting theirs up.

As much as I love the portraits in EVE and the outstanding character creator, I do have some issues. First, one of the number one things I noticed almost immediately when I started gathering portraits, is the almost total lack of bright colours in them. Black, brown, beige and blue are quite abundant (the 4-b's), however red, yellow, orange, purple, white, pink and green are scarce (or even non-existant). I think it may be a combination of what is offered in the creation process (and the outfit colour schemes in the NeX store), as well as trending patterns which players either consciously or unconsciously follow. Purple is one of my favourite colours, and unfortunately it's hardly seen in the portraits. Nice bright yellows are also sadly absent.

The second issue I have with the character creation process, is the character figure constantly moving around back and forth when trying to adjust the facial features. I find it extremely annoying and frustrating. Also, the design spinning in the background slows down my computer significantly, leading to a very long wait while it updates (Yes, I do realize that's also my fault as I need a new faster computer). I don't know if anyone else has these issues or if it's just me, but I'm guessing I'm not alone.

Third, with the introduction of the latest patch, portraits are now captured in-game as 1024x1024 instead of the previous 512x512. Right away, I wanted to update all of the portraits in the Gallery on EVE Portraits to this bigger size, but I noticed that the sampling quality was not improved with the new patch, and the portraits are actually degraded. You can see this by looking at an example... One of my favourite portraits on the website, Raidjinn (the 2nd place winner of the 1st Round). If you look at the scarring on his face in 1024 size, the quality is just not the same as it is with the smaller 512 size, and it actually looks worse when it shouldn't. So I unhappily decided to stick with the 512x512 for the website, when I really wanted to take advantage of the new size being offered. Now, the only way to still get the smaller size is from the profiles on EVE Gate, and I hope that does not change, at least until this problem can be fixed. Thoughts anyone?

I needed to edit this post and add a note of positivity that despite these things, I still very much love the portraits players are making, and the character creator itself. CCP as well as the artists/designers working so hard on it have done an absolutely fantastic job!

Thanks very much everyone for your continued support for my efforts, it's totally appreciated. Oh, and BTW, Round 5 of the portrait contest starts July 9 and I'm now accepting entries! Cool

X

www.EVEportraits.com

Mizhir
TOP DAMAGE Ltd.
Trigger Happy.
#56 - 2012-06-30 16:05:50 UTC
The CC is fantastic. But I often find the backgrounds quite lacking. Even among the several choices which are available I rarely find one which suits. It would be cool if some of the new nebulae could be used as backgrounds. Considering how beautiful they are. People will also be able to showoff their pride of their homespace.

β€οΈοΈπŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œ

Odelya d'Hanguest
Order of St. Severian
#57 - 2012-06-30 16:48:04 UTC
Lin-Young Borovskova wrote:
Space Barbies and Kanes living in some pod (with no cabinets) flying space ships. I'd like to use that tool to change my ship's look, not really the toon.

Ken. Barbie's boyfriend is Ken. KaneΕ‘ is a Hittite village in modern Turkey.

But on topic: I agree, CCP did a fabolous job with the character creator! Now I am just waiting for school uniforms (コスプレ!!!) and some of the fashion which was available in the old character creator! (β‰§βˆ‡β‰¦)/

Vive le Khanid sexiness!
Terazul
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2012-06-30 17:13:55 UTC
Any character creator that lets me make a tattooed butch-lesbian nutcase is a-okay by me! Blink
Soundwave Plays Diablo
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#59 - 2012-06-30 17:57:26 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Seriously.

If there is a single feature that puts EVE ahead of everything else in the videogame industry, it's the character creator.

Just look at what 20 minutes and some experimentation can achieve:

Before and after

Same character, same pose, only changed make up, hairdo and put a coat on her. And yet she looks a different person, expressing a different emotion.

i just love this stuff. I wish it to be developed further, more options, more power, to achieve greater goals. I am not an artist in no way (neither education nor hobby nor talent), and yet being able to create this sort of stuff just makes me feel proud in a personal, amateur way.

I just wish the avatars were somehing else than portraits...

Thank you for this post... you guys have no idea how happy it makes me to read such a positve thread on something I really care about Big smile
(I modeled my character after myself and I think it almost looks more like me than some pictures of me P)

I really do like the character creator, however I have a real mans beard and could not recreate it, so I could not make my character look like me. I could not make him as fat as me IRL, nor could I make his arms as muscular. I also could not make him look like my old avatar, which was heartbreaking to me.

However, it is still the most realistic avatar creator I have ever seen, used, or heard about, and any Eve Avatar looks better than any other games avatar by a long shot. Anyone who argues that clearly has bitter vet syndrome.

Kudos on a job well done.
Ursula Thrace
Dreamland Augmented Consortium
#60 - 2012-06-30 18:59:44 UTC
+1 OP

the eve character creator is the best i've seen in any mmo i've ever played. the possibilities are damn near endless and i've spent way too much time playing around with that feature of the game. Blink