These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New Chronicle: Inferno

First post
Author
Solaine Talvanis
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#41 - 2012-05-26 11:08:51 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
In unrelated news, WTB NZT

This.

Though I think the story was well-written, the whole "drug that makes you smarter" part is a bit weak.
With an entirely new part of space opening up, littered with wrecks, stations, ships and god knows what else that a hyper-advanced race just left behind for us to explore, I think more or less copying the movie limitless isn't the most creative way to explain new advances.

Again, not saying the story was bad since I actually quite enjoyed it, but with the lore allready present there could've been far more interesting and creative ways to further the sleeper storyline.

Galmas
United System's Commonwealth
#42 - 2012-05-26 11:44:29 UTC
Nice one. Good read! Big smile
Horatius Caul
Kitzless
#43 - 2012-05-26 12:34:10 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
You'd think they would give the Inferno drug to a biochemist and ask him to figure out how to mitigate its side effects, and how to make more.

I'm pretty sure Duvolle has all the biochemists they need. In fact, it says in plain text that they tried to replicate it and failed. The reason being that it's an ancient talocan compound folded into higher dimensions. It's beyond the technology of the empires to replicate.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#44 - 2012-05-26 12:53:13 UTC
Solaine Talvanis wrote:
Steve Ronuken wrote:
In unrelated news, WTB NZT

This.

Though I think the story was well-written, the whole "drug that makes you smarter" part is a bit weak.
With an entirely new part of space opening up, littered with wrecks, stations, ships and god knows what else that a hyper-advanced race just left behind for us to explore, I think more or less copying the movie limitless isn't the most creative way to explain new advances.

Again, not saying the story was bad since I actually quite enjoyed it, but with the lore allready present there could've been far more interesting and creative ways to further the sleeper storyline.

Advice for future occasion: when you try to say "this story looks similar to that other one", try to use references that are not from last year (classical sources just are the best; most stories have been told many times for centuries and milleniums); using last-year references makes you look like a brat who thinks nobody ever thought of it before. Lol
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#45 - 2012-05-26 12:58:55 UTC
Just to be clear, with the NZT reference, I wasn't complaining Smile Just making a somewhat obscure geeky reference (I mean, how many non-geeks would know what NZT was without looking it up)

There are few new stories, when you boil it down to the bare bones. But it's the flesh that makes them worth reading.

Edit - That sounds a lot more serial killer esque than I intended.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Merende Macaco
Tranquility Tavern
Pandemic Horde
#46 - 2012-05-26 13:22:41 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:

Advice for future occasion: when you try to say "this story looks similar to that other one", try to use references that are not from last year (classical sources just are the best; most stories have been told many times for centuries and milleniums); using last-year references makes you look like a brat who thinks nobody ever thought of it before. Lol

heh heh
Flarers for Avagher
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
#47 - 2012-05-26 13:41:20 UTC
White Hole is also somewhat appropriate Blink Even if it's only from '91

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Hole_%28Red_Dwarf%29

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Rogue Lawyer
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2012-05-26 14:29:56 UTC
I am really confused about it all, so was Aki betrayed by Kia? and how did Aki manage to implement a code into the ship that recognized that Avagher was on the passenger list?

Can someone help me connect the dots, its a good chronicle but like with other EVE chronicles the depth is really something to be desired.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
#49 - 2012-05-26 14:38:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Steve Ronuken
Rogue Lawyer wrote:
I am really confused about it all, so was Aki betrayed by Kia? and how did Aki manage to implement a code into the ship that recognized that Avagher was on the passenger list?

Can someone help me connect the dots, its a good chronicle but like with other EVE chronicles the depth is really something to be desired.

The word is Adultery. (Rias was really Avagher's son.)

And Aki managed it by being /really/ clever and no-one else understanding exactly how the code worked.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Solaine Talvanis
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#50 - 2012-05-26 14:39:51 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:

That's ofcourse one way to look at it. Ofcourse many stories have been done before, and it's near impossible to come up with a completely new one.. Same thing with music, and fashion, and...

The reason why I use a reference to something not that long ago is for exactly that reason.. someone recently did it.
Usually when something succesfull is done, there are loads of people delevering easily done, not nearly as thought through knockoffs.. the fact that it has been done not that long ago makes me suspect it was an inspiration source..

If that reminds you of a brat, go ahead.. I'm saying that with the complete mystery surrounding the sleepers and the tech we're recovering from the WH's, they could've come up with something more creative than a drug that makes us smarter and thus makes us invent new shiny things.. from what I've seen in the WH's there lot's of shiny stuff we don't understand allready there.

Not knocking the story 'cause like I said, I enjoyed it. Just saying it isn't very creative.
Rogue Lawyer
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2012-05-26 14:47:35 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Rogue Lawyer wrote:

The word is Adultery. (Rias was really Avagher's son.)

And Aki managed it by being /really/ clever and no-one else understanding exactly how the code worked.

Thank you for the clarification, i feel the main villain of the piece is Kia. At least he had revenge on the B***h, by burning them into the sun.
Phiad Aurilen
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#52 - 2012-05-26 18:43:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Phiad Aurilen
As a short story it was well written apart from the ending... it made no sense... it.. just... would... not.. (I say again) not happen like that. Shocked
Any code written in that hour by the hero would have been Decompiled- Virtualised- Assessed- Streamlined- Simulated
& checked ad infinitum (sort of) up to being placed into the device & then installed onto a ship with people on it.

The code that caused the 'Just deserts for the wife & 'Bad guy' ' would never have passed the checks.
Sheesh what's happened to logic?... spaceships for noobs is not what Eve's about. What?

Plus what has this to do with Inferno? I don't see this jump drive on sale anywhere. Oops

Tell you what CCP I'll continue with my little project & i'll eventually post a prototype Module synopsis that will help Eve a hell of a lot. It's top secret at the moment but it will sort out the 'Get rid of Local' & Eve's lack of tactics problem. Two issues that cause stagnation in the user base. My design plan will be finished once I'm sure people can see the desired issue it's intended for & how great its addition would be for game play beyond - Check local, wait for someone to find you or one of your guys to find them & hope you've got your skills high enough to take the enemies applied force projection. It will give certain ships a more valid role in the general play of the game as a side effect.

It's something that is very much lacking from the Eve Universe.

Concentrate on the game not the fluff. We need more 'Tech' please. P

I like the game but it's got to evolve. We realise that the job of updating all the 'old code' is not easy.. sort of analogous to
making a car fly without putting wings on it etc. Just please don't fall victim to your own hubris.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#53 - 2012-05-26 19:12:22 UTC
Phiad Aurilen wrote:
As a short story it was well written apart from the ending... it made no sense... it.. just... would... not.. (I say again) not happen like that. Shocked
Any code written in that hour by the hero would have been Decompiled- Virtualised- Assessed- Streamlined- Simulated
& checked ad infinitum (sort of) up to being placed into the device & then installed onto a ship with people on it.

Yes, of course, because software simulation implies asking the software what woudl it do if the passenger was X, being "X" the name of every living person in the universe.

No, that's not the case. Testers do test what they test, and testing something written by an ubergenius on dope would be tricky as hell. Because, first of all, nobody would look for a trojan code about ONE name.
Phiad Aurilen
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#54 - 2012-05-26 19:54:38 UTC
The guy had no time to write a full OS to run that module. All he did was write the formulas & Controls for a module that would be told to go to X if button A was pressed.

If I was looking at code in a developer/scientist sense I think I'd note an odd callback or two regarding Age, job, & date of birth. Which would be needed to guarantee the justified usage of the sneaky Code.

Hell I've spotted errors in C+ that the Coder was trying to find. I spotted the problem even after he had passed the offending lines. I do not know C+ or any of it's derivatives I just grew up coding in BASIC. This was whilst visiting an old friend who's a very well known game programmer I was just watching him try to quash the bug before going to the pub (Over 15 years back)

The device needed a control suite that would take INFO such as weight, density & some factors from the artificial gravity system & a load of external factors. It would then come up with a control curve from formulas derived to control the jump drives operation.
I just don't see how in a High-Tech future a scenario as such would happen as people would want to see the bare metal of the Code due to patents & possible military dimensions.
LOL56
STK Scientific
The Initiative.
#55 - 2012-05-26 21:42:09 UTC  |  Edited by: LOL56
Perhaps the way in which the MJD finds its target is not by looking at the passenger manifest. It could look for the electrical field pattern of his brain, or for the exact way his footsteps fall on the deck, or even be activated by his voice. So perhaps it was just a call for the ships mass distribution or the internals electrical fields or something to that effect that triggers the 'set the controls for the center of the sun' mode. It makes some innocent seeming call that both activists the trap and is necessary for the MJD to do its normal operation.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
#56 - 2012-05-26 22:57:57 UTC
I refer you to the MT3k Mantra.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MST3KMantra

Then to Bellisario's Maxim
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BellisariosMaxim

really, they'll help with the enjoyment of pretty much any story

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

VaL Iscariot
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#57 - 2012-05-26 23:37:25 UTC
Very good. Makes me miss the old bi-weekly chronicles again though Cry
Istvaan Shogaatsu
Guiding Hand Social Club
#58 - 2012-05-27 02:05:30 UTC
I haven't read what anyone else has said about the chronicle, because it is not important. I haven't really read who wrote it either. Whoever wrote it deserves a blowjob from Charlize Theron. This is the highest compliment I can possibly utter, because usually it is I who deserves a blowjob from Charlize Theron. Seriously, this is the best piece of writing since Jita 4-4.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#59 - 2012-05-27 05:30:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
Rogue Lawyer wrote:

Right before he burned out he typed in a few extra lines of code, much to the onlooker's surprise. It was those lines of code that had the trap.

Edit: the reactive armor module is described as a "prototype inferno module". Some have complained about a description that references the name of an expansion. Well it does not: its another module invented with the help of the Inferno drug.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Graelyn
Aeternus Command Academy
#60 - 2012-05-27 06:13:39 UTC
Holy crap.

That's one hell of of chronicle!

Cardinal Graelyn

Amarr Loyalist of the Year - YC113