These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Infinite skill queue

Author
Bubanni
Corus Aerospace
#61 - 2012-05-27 08:39:37 UTC
Forceing players to log in to change skill isn't forceing them to undock to provide others with content, it forces people to log in for 10 sec and then log off again... I think a 30 day skill Que would be fine

Supercap nerf - change ewar immunity https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=194759 Module activation delay! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1180934

Xhaiden Ora
Doomheim
#62 - 2012-05-27 09:43:40 UTC
Bubanni wrote:
Forceing players to log in to change skill isn't forceing them to undock to provide others with content, it forces people to log in for 10 sec and then log off again

Bingo.

Trying to argue that when a player is forced to login maybe they'll have the time to play and maybe they'll see something interesting happening and maybe they'll undock and maybe they'll provide content for other players by doing so is a shakey reason at best and ignores negative outcomes.

Such as when a player is forced to login maybe they won't have time and maybe they'll see something interesting happening but now be pissed they can't join in and maybe they will stick around and undock but maybe they'll go do something solo like missioning or trading instead and provide no content for others except as a gank target.

Factor all those maybes together and the actual amount of "content" being generated by forcing a player to log in is completely insignificant.

Loius Woo wrote:
If they have NO time to play, then why should the game be designed for them to benefit from NOT playing?

Tell me how you want the game to give you something for NOT playing.

EVE already does by virtue of its skill system. A 10 second log in does not qualify as "playing".

I'm not saying there should be an infinite queue, but I've yet to see an argument against extending it here that holds any real water. There is nothing functionally different between forcing someone to log in every 24 hours or every 24 days aside from the amount of 10 second sessions involved. You can already queue up long train skills for weeks or a month or more and you're already forced to log in periodically to inject skill books. Extending the queue would not eliminate the latter and the former already emulates a longer queue. So there's no functional difference aside from increasing customer convenience.

Mary Annabelle
Moonlit Bonsai
#63 - 2012-06-04 14:13:28 UTC
Sarah Schneider wrote:
The point here is that even when someone logged in just to update their accounts, they'll have to do this continously, over the course of their gametime, every few days and with it, they will interact with people on that short time they logged in, check mails, say hi to people and other things. That short times can and very likely will 'escalate' to other things, when they listen to news of what's going on, or when a corp/alliance announced something important that they might be interested to take part on (which they probably won't know if they never logged in), and so on.

No, no.. and No.

You have bizarrely connected logging in to being socially active. There is no such connection, and there never will be.

You CAN log in to be social. You CAN log in just to bump your queue. You CAN log in to suicide gank the nearest player.

You are under no obligation to do ANY of these things.

It compares with assuming that everyone who starts their car will visit a drive through restaurant on that drive. Some will, but that's mostly because they had that goal before they started the car.

What kind of impulsive existence do you expect most of us are leading, anyhow?
Mary Annabelle
Moonlit Bonsai
#64 - 2012-06-04 14:19:51 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Xhaiden Ora wrote:
The point was that if someone has no time to play, making them log in to bump their queue will not make them play.
In other words, you missed my point. It doesn't matter whether they have time to play or not. What matters is that they log in, and occasionally, this will make them stay logged in even when they didn't originally plan to.

Again with the bizarre assumption that we are impulsive fruitcakes who can be led around...

Let's consider motivation. An alarm clock is a tool we use to help us wake up when we decide it is prudent, so we can do tasks that are time sensitive.
Do you go to work because you need money? Or do you do it because your alarm clock rang?

If your life can be controlled that easily, that an alarm clock is more than a tool but actually dictates your actions...

Or, put another way, in the words of those from more than a hundred years gone by:
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#65 - 2012-06-04 14:30:23 UTC
Mary Annabelle wrote:
Or, put another way, in the words of those from more than a hundred years gone by:

I know of this quote, from my grandparents.

Before anyone twists it by saying how some horses would drink, the real point was that the horse needed to be thirsty.

It needed the motivation as well as the opportunity, in other words.
Kitt JT
True North.
#66 - 2012-06-04 21:50:14 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Mary Annabelle wrote:

I know of this quote, from my grandparents.

Before anyone twists it by saying how some horses would drink, the real point was that the horse needed to be thirsty.

It needed the motivation as well as the opportunity, in other words.

Just stick the ***** with an IV