These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ship colors getting worse with every patch... :-(

Author
Lodjik
Doomheim
#81 - 2012-05-24 03:16:10 UTC
Put me firmly in the column of people that like the new Amarr ships.

I like the new understated colours. It fits the mood of the Amarr better than bright reds and greens of the Carthum and Viziam ships. The new ships are much more like what I was expecting when I first rolled Amarr.
Theprimaryisthesecondary istheprimary
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
All these colours are typical iceland weather feeling. Cold gray brown metal crap
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#83 - 2012-05-24 03:36:11 UTC
Yerik Locke wrote:
Sinooko wrote:
ShockedWhat happened to my Absolution?
XIt used to be shiny blood red with gold highlights now it's **** brown with gold highlights!
EvilI look upon my Ark with trepidation...

On the contrary, I rather like the new style. The colors go much better together; they're subtle, darker, and more bad-ass. The old red and "gold" was extremely gaudy. On top of that, they weren't even gold, but a pukey green-yellow. The current Ark, for example.

Gotta say, this is finally becoming the deadly royal warship I signed up for:

This,
this,, and
THIS.

<3

This, my friends, is the old abso.

Tell me again how the new one isn't better?

Edit:

In response to Corina Jarr: The prophecy hull actually used to have distinct "eyes." You can kind of see them here. The Trinity graphics update homogenized them [I cried] but I'm glad to see their return; they add a certain personality to the ship.

These image almost, almost made me forget this was a fat space chicken and buy one again... so close.
John Caligan
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#84 - 2012-05-24 09:49:26 UTC
What makes the Amarr ships so special?

Caldari ships are where it's at.

Unfortunately, my Drake now looks like a Panda with all the new white..... what are those, racing stripes or somethin?
RealaiX
Dont be a drone
#85 - 2012-05-24 10:38:49 UTC
i just want to have those "knight-rider-lights-on-the-prophecy" on my harbinger... Twisted

Jorma Morkkis
State War Academy
Caldari State
#86 - 2012-05-24 10:47:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Jorma Morkkis
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
These image almost, almost made me forget this was a fat space chicken and buy one again... so close.

Yeah, Gallente has the best ship models. For example mighty Thorax. Big smile

New Absolution looks great. Don't know why people keep saying it looks crap.
Vitalik Kirov
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#87 - 2012-05-24 11:04:59 UTC
Do you have any idea how hard it is to keep a good coat of paint on a space craft? The rapid temperature fluctuations from impacts on the hull, as well as the impacts themselves are hell on a new paint job. Think scratching your car's paint was bad? AW HELL NAW. Now you've got space dust, debris, dead pilots, and all manner of nasty slapping your ship. To keep it Edward Cullen sparkle-shiney, you'd have to repaint that crap after every warp, I tell you!

Long story short: Paint + Space = A Painter's Hell.
Xyla Vulchanus
Players vs. EVE
Goonswarm Federation
#88 - 2012-05-24 11:35:33 UTC

I have to concur that they have really screwed up the look of all the Amarr ships. It's a shame.

And oh God, what did they do to the Purifier?
pussnheels
Viziam
#89 - 2012-05-24 11:50:04 UTC
I was really sad panda reloging back on after almost 7 months and found most of my ships in a new colour
Something was lost they don t look sp amarrian anymore, they used to stand out against the rest and everybody could see that you flew amarrian without looking at their overview to see what ship you re flying

Owell if it is ccp s intention to upgrade them in the future, i think i can life with it and get use to it
They somehow look more badass thou

I do not agree with what you are saying , but i will defend to the death your right to say it...... Voltaire

Sobach
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#90 - 2012-05-24 12:23:24 UTC
confirming that I definitely prefer the new amarr look over the old one, and that some people in this thread probably needs better monitors or learn how to calibrate them :P

also, lulz at those that are complaining about the Ark's color change, especially since it WASN'T changed, as only subcap ships have received the v3 texture so far, further proving that some people are hating on the new colors just because it's different.
Erim Solfara
House of Solfara
#91 - 2012-05-24 15:55:09 UTC
Jorma Morkkis wrote:
Erim Solfara wrote:
Secondly, what the HELL was the reason for the Khanid ship change?! The COOLEST looking ships in the game have lost their all-black stealth look, for what reason?!

Why start raging now? Sacrilege was changed a very long time ago.

I didn't like it then either.
Kiteo Hatto
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#92 - 2012-05-24 16:09:57 UTC
I kinda miss this pic

New Paladin is just Pic
Sinooko
Tharumec
Gespenster Kompanie
#93 - 2012-05-24 18:38:19 UTC
Sobach wrote:
confirming that I definitely prefer the new amarr look over the old one, and that some people in this thread probably needs better monitors or learn how to calibrate them :P

also, lulz at those that are complaining about the Ark's color change, especially since it WASN'T changed, as only subcap ships have received the v3 texture so far, further proving that some people are hating on the new colors just because it's different.

trep·i·da·tion/ˌtrepiˈdāSHən/
Noun:
A feeling of fear or agitation about something that may happen.
Trembling motion.

Key component "something that may happen."
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#94 - 2012-05-24 18:40:28 UTC
It wouldnt be so bad if the red was a bit more you know... ruby colored and less of a redwood.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Yonis Kador
KADORCORP
#95 - 2012-05-24 19:51:16 UTC
I'm now convinced that, for me at least, part of my discontent with the Amarr ship texture revamp is due to lighting issues. Whether in station, in preview, or in space, there doesn't seem to be a way for my ships to be properly lit from above. Nebulas always appear in the background or beneath a ship (providing illumination to the undercarriage - and consequently creating shadows along the dorsal axis.) I even tried flying to a star (just for the illumination) and unfortunately the same holds true. Stars always appear beneath your ship, causing the undercarriage to be lit 10x more than the rest of the chassis. So for now, this hyper-realism has given me a well-lit ventral axis, and a darker, more-armored (and substantially less-gaudy) dorsal one. Amarr ships really shouldn't be lacking on bling. If you guys can figure out a way to create some kind of superficial dorsal illumination, I'm sure it would end some of the new texture dissatisfaction. -- Yonis Kador
Krystal Flores
Deliverance.
Arrival.
#96 - 2012-05-25 01:02:53 UTC
Well I do like the new detail some of the ships have the colors are terrible. Red and gold ships are now solid brown and even other ships are duller and look less cool to me.
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#97 - 2012-05-25 01:05:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Corina Jarr
The problem right now, IMO is that since stations are not V3d (and thus not dark and gloomy) CCP can't raise the general light level any more (as it is Amarr stations are blinding on the sunny side).

So the solution is: CCP V3 stations now!!!Smile

Edit, also try raising the brightness on your monitor. People keep saying brown for Carthem, but it is clearly red on mine.
MotherMoon
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#98 - 2012-05-25 01:22:12 UTC
Yonis Kador wrote:
I'm now convinced that, for me at least, part of my discontent with the Amarr ship texture revamp is due to lighting issues. Whether in station, in preview, or in space, there doesn't seem to be a way for my ships to be properly lit from above. Nebulas always appear in the background or beneath a ship (providing illumination to the undercarriage - and consequently creating shadows along the dorsal axis.) I even tried flying to a star (just for the illumination) and unfortunately the same holds true. Stars always appear beneath your ship, causing the undercarriage to be lit 10x more than the rest of the chassis. So for now, this hyper-realism has given me a well-lit ventral axis, and a darker, more-armored (and substantially less-gaudy) dorsal one. Amarr ships really shouldn't be lacking on bling. If you guys can figure out a way to create some kind of superficial dorsal illumination, I'm sure it would end some of the new texture dissatisfaction. -- Yonis Kador

yup, confriming it's the same with the hound, and other new bombers. Other than the ammar bomber... oddly..

It's almost as if different ships reflect light. Some get bounce light while others get nothing.

It has to be a bug

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1206/scimi.jpg

Torneach
Doomheim
#99 - 2012-05-25 01:32:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Torneach
My biggest question regarding all of these ship color changes is "Why?"

Couldn't they have updated the textures and all without fundamentally altering the colors on the ships?

EDIT: I really just hope this is a lighting issue.

EDIT2: Upon further experimentation, I found that one needs to run pretty much every setting at "high" in order for the new ship skins to look decent. With my less-than optimal setup, everything is brown. Looks like we got a ninja premium client added in here.
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#100 - 2012-05-25 07:40:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Nova Fox
Torneach wrote:
My biggest question regarding all of these ship color changes is "Why?"

Couldn't they have updated the textures and all without fundamentally altering the colors on the ships?

EDIT: I really just hope this is a lighting issue.

EDIT2: Upon further experimentation, I found that one needs to run pretty much every setting at "high" in order for the new ship skins to look decent. With my less-than optimal setup, everything is brown. Looks like we got a ninja premium client added in here.

its for client performance, the new mapping methood V3 brings allows for better quality textures without the same impact cost a higher resolution texture would require thus forth we basically get better looking ships on the same budget. This alow allows ships to have decals complex shadow maps and quickly swappable color selections.

V3 Project is ongoing and will continue until every object in new eden is V3'ed this includes drones capitals civillian ships ect ect.

V3 Project takes priority over remodeling of EVERY ship in eve to meet new constuction standards established by many of the newer ships.

Remodel Project to take the longest of the three as a new 'design' has to be established instead of just 'ported' over from previous skins.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.