These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ship colors getting worse with every patch... :-(

Author
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2012-05-23 00:33:36 UTC

Better images, thank you.

That said, if that is the same darker, more muted blood red that the retribution got, I like that color better than the candy red that the ship had before. And after having seen my retribution docked and in a system outside of a nebula where the colorization isn't altered, I view this as a good change. The Amarr and Minmatar nebulas make even good looking ships sometimes look terrible color wise IMHO.
Bauloe
FBN 4893
#42 - 2012-05-23 01:00:58 UTC
soon V3 will be complete and you will be able to pay for the colour you want!

I believe the colour sceams are now matching the manufacturer of the ship now.
Lyron-Baktos
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#43 - 2012-05-23 01:03:40 UTC
Bauloe wrote:
soon V3 will be complete and you will be able to pay for the colour you want!

I believe the colour sceams are now matching the manufacturer of the ship now.

any idea on the time line for all of this to be done? Are we just getting started or nearing the end?
Jarne
Increasing Success by Lowering Expectations
#44 - 2012-05-23 08:50:11 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

Better images, thank you.

That said, if that is the same darker, more muted blood red that the retribution got, I like that color better than the candy red that the ship had before. And after having seen my retribution docked and in a system outside of a nebula where the colorization isn't altered, I view this as a good change. The Amarr and Minmatar nebulas make even good looking ships sometimes look terrible color wise IMHO.

Looks the same on my GC and I hate it! And I won't bother installing fresh drivers unless someone has screenshots where the new colors look good.

I hate the new red of the Amarr T2 ships like Abso, Guardian, Paladin etc.
I hate the new green of the Amarr T2 ships like Zealot and Redeemer.
I love the old Comet with the police light, but I can live with the new one (has been like for some time already).
I hate the new green and white of the Sin and Ishtar, and the new green of the Ishkur.

CCP, why do you change things just for the sake of changing them? Did you ever think about those people that trained for ships because of their looks? Sure, some people will like the new look who didn't like the old one, but those probably didn't work towards those ships because of the looks.

Change just for the sake of change is never good.

nabort
Chutney Ferret's Mobile Consortium
#45 - 2012-05-23 08:58:47 UTC
The ship lighting on a lot of ships is far too dark. The Bhaalgorn in particular: could look epic but instead you can barely distinguish between the red and the gold/brown/blue.

Also, the sample image for all the Stealth bombers, save the Nemesis, differs from the ships actual appearance.
c4 t
Cosmic Psychedelics
#46 - 2012-05-23 09:04:52 UTC
***** terrible. I called this months ago, with a thread. Anethema got hit bad.
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#47 - 2012-05-23 09:04:56 UTC
nabort wrote:
The ship lighting on a lot of ships is far too dark. The Bhaalgorn in particular: could look epic but instead you can barely distinguish between the red and the gold/brown/blue.

Also, the sample image for all the Stealth bombers, save the Nemesis, differs from the ships actual appearance.

Yes, the darkness is my main gripe. The brightness looks ok with low gfx settings, but switch to all high and at least my Gal ships become extremely dark.

I also agree about the general ugliness of ship colours. The clarity of detail and highlights is nice on the V3 skins, but especially the Amarr look worse now.

I hope they bring custom/selectable skins soon.

Gibbo3771
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#48 - 2012-05-23 09:16:34 UTC
The slicer looks pretty ******* **** hot tho
Tobiaz
Spacerats
#49 - 2012-05-23 11:14:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Tobiaz
MotherMoon wrote:
http://youtu.be/KBasn-hkt74

Pligrim is awesome. all news ships are, I should make a video of all new colors

preview Window is too dark, don't base what you think off of it.

I really don't like CCP removing T2 bits though (like the Curse's antennae).

Operation WRITE DOWN ALL THE THINGS!!!  Check out the list at http://bit.ly/wdatt Collecting and compiling all fixes and ideas for EVE. Looking for more editors!

Luscius Uta
#50 - 2012-05-23 11:23:44 UTC
I liked the golden, shiny look of Amarr ships. Now I could mistake a Cynabal for one.

Workarounds are not bugfixes.

Algol Bailiwick
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#51 - 2012-05-23 11:35:22 UTC
I know you're all a bunch of forum alts but try undocking one before you complain. The preview window lacks decent lighting.
Tobiaz
Spacerats
#52 - 2012-05-23 12:09:24 UTC
Algol Bailiwick wrote:
I know you're all a bunch of forum alts but try undocking one before you complain. The preview window lacks decent lighting.

The colors look muddy even when parked next to the sun. I miss the bright red of Carthum and the apple-green of CreoDron

Operation WRITE DOWN ALL THE THINGS!!!  Check out the list at http://bit.ly/wdatt Collecting and compiling all fixes and ideas for EVE. Looking for more editors!

Ohanka
#53 - 2012-05-23 12:13:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Ohanka
I like the new amarr ship colours.

maybe you guys should stop playing on low graphics settings.

North Korea is Best Korea

Sinooko
Tharumec
Gespenster Kompanie
#54 - 2012-05-23 17:37:56 UTC
Algol Bailiwick wrote:

Ohanka wrote:
I like the new amarr ship colours.

maybe you guys should stop playing on low graphics settings.

I did undock, and I am on max graphics and it's still **** brown.
Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#55 - 2012-05-23 17:43:07 UTC
Is it me or did the Curse lose the "neut batteries" in the front of the model?

http://images.wikia.com/eve/images/0/0a/Curse512.jpg

Old image of what I am talking about up front with the glowly lights at the end.
Barbelo Valentinian
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2012-05-23 17:48:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Barbelo Valentinian
Jarne wrote:
It started with the "improvement" of ship (shader) models in what was called the "premium client" back then. All T1 Caldari ships got the same boring blue, all Gallente ships got that TERRIBLE highly-toxic-waste-green, etc.. I still hate the Gallente T1 style.

Nice T2 hulls like the Phobos got their colors totally washed out (I really liked the "classic" pink!). Also the Ishkur, Ishtar, and so on.

Now it hit the nicest (IMO) of all T2 ship hulls, and it hit them badly: Paladin, Absolution, Retribution. Did I forget one of those lovely ships patterned in gold and blood? Now the blood has dried, and it stinks :-(.

Edit: I totally forgot the Guardian, the Crusader and the Pilgrim, well and the Ark I think...

To make it worse, the nice Redeemer green is hardly a green anymore o.O.

Anybody else dislikes where this is going?

On the plus side, I really liked (and still like) the new Navy Geddon and Apocalypse painting. The new Damnation is also pretty awesome.

Yes, generally and gradually, since the first graphics overhaul back in 2006/7, the ship models have gotten much, much better in terms of detail and graphics - but worse and worse in terms of art design.

It's like, the original art design had a sense of style and flair that was unique and individual for each race, and it looks like successive art teams haven't been sensitive enough to those particular "flavours". It's all starting to look more and more "generic hollywood s-f movie".

Same goes for the art design that went into the avatars and clothing.

There are a few exceptions here and there, but basically, art design EVE is gradually drifting from "imaginative and evocative" to "generic and just a little bit dull".

Another way of putting it is that all the race ships have been "Caldarified". Formerly Amarr=bombastic, gold, lots of useless ornamentation; Gallente=sexualized, semi-organic; Caldari=utilitarian, generic s-f; Minmatar=jury-rigged.

With the changes, the unique flavours have been disappearing. Instead of more detailed bombastic useless ornamentation on Amarr, we've got more Caldari-ish generic s-f detail; instead of a more detailed "fractal" sort of sexualization and semi-organification for Gallente, we've got more Caldari-ish generic s-f detail; Caldari is fine because that's its style; Minmatar we don't know yet, but you can bet it's going to be more Caldari-ish generic s-f detail, instead of more detailed jury-rigging, more detailed duck tape, etc.
Yonis Kador
KADORCORP
#57 - 2012-05-23 18:18:35 UTC
I'm trying desperately to find something positive to comment on in the Inferno expansion (since the unified inventory definately sucks) but alas, I am not a fan of the new Amarr ship designs either. Sorry CCP. I couldn't care less if the hull looks more metallic or has more shading. Who gives a sh*t? As someone who has always been Amarrian, and who only flies Amarr ships, I LIKE zipping around in a flying gold brick. We're the race of excess and Amarrian ships and stations are SUPPOSED to exemplify that excess. The shiny gold ships were great exactly for their gaudiness. Now they're all dark and armored. Yeah, I guess it still looks OK if you don't care about the backstory, but for me at least, I'm not a fan of the change. I'd pay to have my 24 karat gold-plated hulls and stations back. Thanks for reading.
Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#58 - 2012-05-23 18:36:36 UTC
Sinooko wrote:
ShockedWhat happened to my Absolution?
XIt used to be shiny blood red with gold highlights now it's **** brown with gold highlights!
EvilI look upon my Ark with trepidation...

Absolution looks awesome

Blood raiders no longer have symetrical staining. Acually look bloody.

Ark has an amazing sheen.

Anybody who thinks they look dull or washed out either have garbage monitors, or really messed up settings. To me they look bright and vibrant. Especially the Absolution. Also most people are tarts and only go by the dull and unlit preview window, until you get it into space, don't comment on them since with the sunlight and nebulas, they are WOW!

To quote Lfod Shi

The ratting itself is PvE. Getting away with it is PvP.

alittlebirdy
All Hail The Liopleurodon
#59 - 2012-05-23 18:40:20 UTC
Guys for the low low price of $10 per skin you will be able to get your old skins back...

CCP might be ******** when it comes to patching, coding, keeping players happy, keeping the server up, make games. But when it comes to ******* us over they got it down.

They see we hate changes (like the UI, ship colors) so all they need to do is change the ship colors... then put the old ones back on nex.,. and people will buy it... they make more money...
ctx2007
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#60 - 2012-05-23 18:50:04 UTC
Ships are dirty coloured because of space dust and getting burnt by solar flares. Thats wot the Janitors are for if you pay them.

You only realise you life has been a waste of time, when you wake up dead.