These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dare i ask about Gallente/hybrid balancing?

First post
Author
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#61 - 2011-09-18 20:31:25 UTC
Didn't a CCP dev state in an interview that balance was boring, and a FOTM kept things interesting?
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#62 - 2011-09-18 21:06:33 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Didn't a CCP dev state in an interview that balance was boring, and a FOTM kept things interesting?

depends on what kind of balancing you're looking for.

bad balancing is when everything's the same.
good balancing is where every weapon has a "role" where it excels and doesn't step on other's "role".

bad balancing is extremely easy to do.
good balancing is extremely hard to do.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Frau JeanYus
PsiTit Corp
#63 - 2011-09-18 21:12:27 UTC
" after Christmas" 2013? Prolly
Raw Matters
Brilliant Starfire
#64 - 2011-09-18 22:19:34 UTC
Have you ever had a Taranis in your back? I can tell you: Blasters hurt a lot!
Zifrian
Aideron Robotics
#65 - 2011-09-18 22:40:56 UTC
I agree that hybrids pretty much suck compared to others, but I wonder if the "balance" comes from the drone bonuses that most gallente ships get compared to the other races.

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#66 - 2011-09-18 23:02:50 UTC
Raw Matters wrote:
Have you ever had a Taranis in your back? I can tell you: Blasters hurt a lot!

I think it's of general consensus that at the very least small blasters are good enough.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2011-09-19 01:44:11 UTC
Zifrian wrote:
I agree that hybrids pretty much suck compared to others, but I wonder if the "balance" comes from the drone bonuses that most gallente ships get compared to the other races.

If halving your DPS in most situations is balance, then I suppose so.

Don't ban me, bro!

Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#68 - 2011-09-19 02:39:02 UTC
Joelleaveek wrote:
many Gallente agree

Heh. How about us Amarr and Minmatarians who fly with blasters all time and thinking they're pretty damn epic?
Rails could really use some love yeah, but it'd be quite silly to boost blasters at present.

AFK-cloaking in a system near you.

Rykuss
Gallente Federation
#69 - 2011-09-19 02:57:56 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:

That would be interesting, if balancing were done on a month by month basis. It gets pretty old after several years though.

You, too, can be a Solid Gold dancer.

Alpheias
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#70 - 2011-09-20 16:08:03 UTC
Rykuss wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:

That would be interesting, if balancing were done on a month by month basis. It gets pretty old after several years though.

Could always ask Blizzard how it is working out for them.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Large Collidable Object
morons.
#71 - 2011-09-20 16:14:41 UTC
Rykuss wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:

Yeah - Soundwave stated the above at the Vegas convention. Whilst I agree on the imbalance bit, the FOTM could change every now and then - otherwise it's not FOTM.

Also, I don't think the OP was proposing to do monthly rebalances on all ships - just regular updates on some.

I for one would be happy if they only reworked one class of ships/turrets / expansion. That's enough to keep things interesting and allows younger players to get into the FOTM ships before they are outdated.
You know... [morons.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjOx65yD5A)
mkint
#72 - 2011-09-20 16:20:31 UTC  |  Edited by: mkint
Zifrian wrote:

I've been thinking... what if to balance Gallente ships, CCP added Small and Medium sentry drones, and then made them so all sentries could move with the launching ship instead of being strictly stationary?

Gallente pilots would be able to fill in those middle ranges with drone damage, applying damage before being in blaster range or supplementing rail damage in the medium ranges. Would that overpower Gallente, or still leave them underpowered? How would you abuse that kind of drone mechanic?

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Joelleaveek
Gallente Federation
#73 - 2011-09-20 18:51:02 UTC
mkint wrote:
Zifrian wrote:

I've been thinking... what if to balance Gallente ships, CCP added Small and Medium sentry drones, and then made them so all sentries could move with the launching ship instead of being strictly stationary?

Gallente pilots would be able to fill in those middle ranges with drone damage, applying damage before being in blaster range or supplementing rail damage in the medium ranges. Would that overpower Gallente, or still leave them underpowered? How would you abuse that kind of drone mechanic?

So then i have these drones moving at the same speed an heading as the host ship. if i was in the opposing ship i would shoot these drones first. Then you would probably pull them in and i would go back to shooting you. Then you put the drones back out and so on and so forth. Until they're either all dead or you give up on them. Meanwhile i've stayed out of range this entire time and and you've done very little damage.

I think this isn't a good idea. I do think drones need a buff, but that's a whole other thread.

I believe that Gallente ships should be faster, like fastest in game. i think they shouldn't be very agile though. I think the need enough cap to burn to the target with an MWD and still have enough for the blasters and/or armor reppers.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#74 - 2011-09-20 19:03:08 UTC
Zifrian wrote:

That's not a lot of comfort to Caldari Hybrid ships.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Alundil
Rolled Out
#75 - 2011-09-20 22:16:31 UTC
Bump because I love my hybrids (and have a ton of SP into them) and wish there were more useful

I'm right behind you

Kitty McKitty
In Praise Of Shadows
#76 - 2011-09-20 22:30:03 UTC
BIG BOOTY BLASTERS

Haviing your portrait painted here helps INTAKI Disabled Children ♥

Christopher AET
Lethal Injection Inc.
#77 - 2011-09-21 00:06:13 UTC
In my opinion the only time where blasters have the advantage is as an ambush gank ship. Have a quicker mate lock a target down. you warp in in mega/hyperion/proteus at zero. Only then is its massive dps useful in killing an enemy before his buddies can respond. howevrr unless you get the drop on an enemy you will struggle.

Gallente ships do come into their own at the capital levels however

I drain ducks of their moisture for sustenance.

MeestaPenni
Mercantile and Stuff
#78 - 2011-09-21 01:24:19 UTC
Christopher AET wrote:
the only time where blasters have the advantage is as an ambush gank ship. Have a quicker mate lock a target down. you warp in in mega/hyperion/proteus at zero. Only then is its massive dps useful in killing an enemy before his buddies can respond. howevrr unless you get the drop on an enemy you will struggle.

This ^

I've been wondering if anyone would point it out. If you're off-grid and a tackler can get in tight while providing a "warp to" point....a Blasterthron is murder in space.

I am not Prencleeve Grothsmore.

Captain Brickwalle
#79 - 2011-09-21 18:34:15 UTC
It's almost as if there is a sort of mass amnesia regarding blasters during these arguments. Like no one remembers blasters too, have fall off and that, on bonused hull like gallente blaster boats, better fall off (relatively) than autocannons on most minmitar ships. With decent skills and null ammo a mega can project dps out to 40-50 km.

The next secret i: tracking enhancers > magnetic stabalizers. So if you have 3 lows upgrades you fit 2 TE and 1 magstab not 3magstab or not even 1te 2stab.

So in short the blasters aren't broken. The slowpoke ships with low CPU are the problem. I might even go so far as to suggest that t2 blaster amok have no tracking penalty or even boost it but apply some other affect like even MORE cap usage or affect the ship hull like t2 missiles.
Crunchmeister
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#80 - 2011-09-21 19:04:59 UTC
CCP Zymurgist wrote:
Also CCP Soundwave mentioned in an interview at PAX this year that, "After Christmas, there will probably be some changes pushed out to fix this issue." In response to a question about Hybrids.

I don't like the word "probably". That's kind of a universal "get out of jail free" card when used in that context. If hybrids do get a buff, then CCP can claim they came through on their promise.

Or (the more likely scenario) a year from now, when we're still asking for some hybrid loving and someone claims CCP lied about fixing hybrids referencing Soundwave's quote at PAX, CCP can "honestly" reply that there were no promises made and they only said it was probable that they'd look into fixing hybrids.

People were constantly telling me I was crazy. For a long time I didn't believe them, but after a while, I started to think they might be right.

But it turns out that they were all wrong. One of the voices in my head is a psychiatrist and he says I'm perfectly sane.