These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

AFK Cloaking in System is a Terrible Mechanic

Author
Vicky Somers
Rusty Anchor
#201 - 2012-05-28 23:24:03 UTC
Crying about cloaky ships is the exact same as crying about suicide ganking.
Amon Kaates
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#202 - 2012-05-28 23:28:25 UTC
Ian Isk wrote:
Amon Kaates wrote:
[quote=Eso Es]in my opinion null-sec should never feel "safe" for operations. Ever. .


Except for cloakers, right? They should be completely safe, and literally impossible to get to in space, making it a no-risk activity.

Good job on being consistent.


Thanks, I am being pretty consistent.

If you're running missions in low-sec, you're taking a risk. You shouldn't feel safe.

If you're mining in low-sec, you're taking a risk. You shouldn't feel safe.

If you're defending your sovereignty in a system you own, if you have assets out there for others to take, if you have any invested infrastructure in a lowsec system, if you are claiming an area and making money off of it, you are taking a risk. Isn't that the point? If you want to make that money, you have to take a risk?

How much money do AFK cloakers make?

Again, I'll grant that my own personal experience in low-sec is perhaps outdated, and perhaps the threat has fundamentally changed. But when it comes right down to it, I don't see the difference. AFK cloakers never impacted me, my corp, or how we worked in low-sec. We always assumed an attack would come from anywhere, at any time. That's just how it works.

I don't get threatened by people who aren't at their computers.
Leisen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#203 - 2012-05-28 23:31:21 UTC
Why is it terrible? Surely a pilot (and his crew?) could cloak up and take 5. For a day. Or a week. What does it matter? The real issue is local. Blink
Argaral
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#204 - 2012-05-28 23:42:32 UTC
? if this has been suggested but with the new fueled modules, make cloaking fueled?

Long cycle time so you only get what? 2 hours out of it before resupply. Would eliminate a lot of afk cloakers, but would allow for genuine black ops gangs to maintain momentum as they are already setting up fuel networks for their cyno's.
Karak Terrel
Foundation for CODE and THE NEW ORDER
#205 - 2012-05-28 23:52:23 UTC
Ian Isk wrote:
Amon Kaates wrote:
[quote=Eso Es]in my opinion null-sec should never feel "safe" for operations. Ever. .


Except for cloakers, right? They should be completely safe, and literally impossible to get to in space, making it a no-risk activity.

Good job on being consistent.


Well it sounds like OP is siting in his system for DAYS completely "save". The only thing he can't do is "save" mining/missions.

looks consistent to me
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#206 - 2012-05-28 23:57:13 UTC
Vicky Somers wrote:
Crying about cloaky ships is the exact same as crying about suicide ganking.

No, cloaky whines are funnier.

At least the ones ganked lost something.
Jiska Ensa
Estrale Frontiers
#207 - 2012-05-29 00:35:54 UTC
Remove local. How many times do we have to say it.
nate555
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#208 - 2012-05-29 00:38:29 UTC
If there is a afk cloaked you have pissed someone off. In that case **** them off more. Don't be a bear that doesn't want to fight.
Ris Dnalor
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#209 - 2012-05-29 00:39:31 UTC
Eso Es wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I like cloaking, I like ganking in WHs, I like breaking gate camps, but to be able to sit afk in someones system cloaked FOR DAYS with no repercussions is just unacceptable. Make cloakers susceptible to combat probes, or really, just do SOMETHING to limit the un-interactiveness of cloak, its a fail mechanic as is. Let the flames begin ^^


or we could remove local, then you wouldn't know they were there ;P

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=118961

EvE = Everybody Vs. Everybody

  • Qolde
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#210 - 2012-05-29 00:57:46 UTC
nate555 wrote:
If there is a afk cloaked you have pissed someone off. In that case **** them off more. Don't be a bear that doesn't want to fight.

Yeah afk cloakers really don't like to fight or do much of anything, really.

Funny how that works. There's one once cloaker been here for two weeks now. We're waiting for them to gank someone, but no dice.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

nate555
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#211 - 2012-05-29 01:15:33 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
nate555 wrote:
If there is a afk cloaked you have pissed someone off. In that case **** them off more. Don't be a bear that doesn't want to fight.

Yeah afk cloakers really don't like to fight or do much of anything, really.

Funny how that works. There's one once cloaker been here for two weeks now. We're waiting for them to gank someone, but no dice.

I mean the group resposible
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#212 - 2012-05-29 01:17:37 UTC
nate555 wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
nate555 wrote:
If there is a afk cloaked you have pissed someone off. In that case **** them off more. Don't be a bear that doesn't want to fight.

Yeah afk cloakers really don't like to fight or do much of anything, really.

Funny how that works. There's one once cloaker been here for two weeks now. We're waiting for them to gank someone, but no dice.

I mean the group resposible

Would love to fight an afk cloaker, but uh.

Bit hard to get at them...

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Eso Es
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#213 - 2012-05-29 05:44:33 UTC
Seriously, Im getting trolled by my own alliance? Oh wait, Im part of the CFC now, nvm ^^

**Can we stop harping on the fact that I may not have properly named the title of this thread?**

Im sick of lame comments about how afk people cant blow you up. The guy has been in local for 4 days straight (almost 5 now), obviously he cant be at his computer all day everyday, but how am I to know when he is or when he isn't?

As I said in the opening post of this thread, I come from a WH corp, so I am more than comfortable with non-risk free ratting, but in a WH you can't get hotdropped and you have the ability to use dscan to detect incoming threats, as well as doing all the things mentioned in this thread such as having scouts posted at key locations etc. THERE IS NO WAY TO SCOUT/PREDICT/DEFEND a cov ops hotdrop.
Argaral
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#214 - 2012-05-29 05:55:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Argaral
Eso Es wrote:
Seriously, Im getting trolled by my own alliance? Oh wait, Im part of the CFC now, nvm ^^

**Can we stop harping on the fact that I may not have properly named the title of this thread?**

Im sick of lame comments about how afk people cant blow you up. The guy has been in local for 4 days straight (almost 5 now), obviously he cant be at his computer all day everyday, but how am I to know when he is or when he isn't?

As I said in the opening post of this thread, I come from a WH corp, so I am more than comfortable with non-risk free ratting, but in a WH you can't get hotdropped and you have the ability to use dscan to detect incoming threats, as well as doing all the things mentioned in this thread such as having scouts posted at key locations etc. THERE IS NO WAY TO SCOUT/PREDICT/DEFEND a cov ops hotdrop.


Actually there is, I've done it to Sniggewaffe previously. When you rat, keep a standing fleet. They may pop your ship, but believe me, if you're ratting in a hac or battleship, they won't pop it before other people in system land on grid. Those SB's pop very quickly when they can't cloak. If you're seriously whinging about a larger gang(more then 5) then sorry, they blobbed you and your alliance could not retaliate because of your own stupidity. I believe Nulli is experiencing this at the moment. If you win the isk war enough, they will move onto softer targets.

I'm all for a solution to AFK cloakers; as my fuel suggestion above. But jesus christ, harden the **** up. They're cloakers, they often fit **** tank, if they lose the element of surprise and you have even a friend or two, they're ****** if they don't gtfo. You make it out like you're being hot dropped by the old tracking titans.