These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Question: What one thing is really hurting EVE?

Author
Burseg Sardaukar
Free State Project
#81 - 2012-05-16 01:34:26 UTC
Null/Low pvp - supercap proliferation
Economically - static T2 moon goo
Hisec pvp - Neutral remote rep (hisec wars are plagued by it)

Can't wait to dual box my Dust toon and EVE toon on the same machine!

Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#82 - 2012-05-16 01:34:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Mars Theran
Tarak Addaney wrote:
The crafting. Its simplistic in nature. Buy blueprint, have minerals, have open assembly line, pay for job, start job, wait time for production, click deliver. The computer, or automated systems do all the work.

Probably won't change though. Big changes needed to implement a manually built ship by the crafters.

Ah frag it! Like we really need FFXI or similar crafting in EVE. It is not Crafting!! It's building and manufacturing. These things happen on assembly lines and use automated systems to do most of the work now; how do you think it is going to look in 20K years? We're going to go back to labour farms?

It's fine the way it is. Science, research, development, manufacturinbg, automation. We're not making a tin sword for fraks sake.

edit: Also, ME and PE research are basically the pilot plugging in some parameters and formulas into a super computer which then calculates how to improve upon build time using the automated systems, (potentially spitting out the equivalent of a modified CNC program), or how to use less material in production by improving on patterns for material cutting, or calculating where material can be reduced in thickness, have cutouts added, etc.. without causing structural integrity problems.

EVEs building and manufacturing leaves a bit to be desired, but honestly, it is much better than any other game.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
DelBoy Trades
Trotter Independent Traders.
Stealth Alliance
#83 - 2012-05-16 01:45:20 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
It's us, right?

NO!

Why are all Goons so self absorbed? I can't think of a single time Goons have ever negatively affected my game play. Burn Jita was a joke, the 'ice interdiction' was like...'Okay, good thing Thanny's are useless garbage and I have no use for a POS in my nice cosy NPC nullsec." Honestly the only time I have come into contact with Goons is enjoying watching your enormous fleets flap around like a fish out of water when I've been in <10 man kiting fleets.

Stop thinking EVE cares about you, no one hates Goons, people are just indifferent to your existence.

Damn nature, you scary!

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#84 - 2012-05-16 01:46:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
IMHO the biggest thing hurting EVE right now is people who think the game is only Intermet spaceships, or worse, people who intentionally ignore the rest of the game: exploration, resource discovery, resource exploitation, market research, logistics, strategic planning: all the stuff that leads to having ships on the same grid shooting each other.
Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#85 - 2012-05-16 01:54:01 UTC
Answer: Diablo 3, as of 19 hours ago.

Up to that point, it was CCP's inconsistency in regard to player freedom of choice, though the game still did pretty well due to its uniqueness.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

xerroth
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#86 - 2012-05-16 02:24:47 UTC  |  Edited by: xerroth
Really?

A lack of direction for the game,

For me make it all 0.0 sec, do away with high sec, warp to zero, local, make all station destructible etc , make EVE as it was intended to be.

This would lose subs, how many, who knows

Or split it into 2 worlds/universes Hi and low/0.0 sec, high sec for people who want to play safe, no shooting each other allowed at all, mine to your hearts content or whatever.

This would gain subs , probably a lot, but is against everything EVE stands for.

The Devs i am sure want to do the first option, but realize they would quite possibly be doing their little HTFU song and dance routine outside an Icelandic Job center for coins to feed there family after subs drop.

So here they sit, trying to balance on a knifes edge, doing practically nothing to develop the game, and it is withering, slowly, oh so slowly.
Alara IonStorm
#87 - 2012-05-16 02:33:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
Terribly outdated Cruiser Balance. Pretty much every Armor Cruiser is slower then the Shield Cane and a few Shield ones. Bad fitting and slot amounts do to the Tier System as well and bad bonuses that create Autocannon Mallers as the standard fitting.

The dominance of the Drake / Cane over other Tier 1 / 2 Battlecruisers as well as the Shield Cane over the slower Cruisers.
Sisohiv
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#88 - 2012-05-16 02:41:10 UTC
The idea that there is a one, silver bullet that will fix EVE. It's death by a thousand papercuts.
knulla
Doomheim
#89 - 2012-05-16 02:46:35 UTC  |  Edited by: knulla
local chat showing every one in a system.

If CCP and people took the time to think about the effects by removing it from every single person viewpoint they would realize that removing local showing system inhabitants would be beneficial to them all, overall.

[u]Malice Redeemer[/u] - "Post if you are unsubing over the new inventory"  Posted: 2012.05.23 01:39

lol

Lipbite
Express Hauler
#90 - 2012-05-16 03:06:28 UTC
Non-streamlined transition to PvP for new players.

Gladiator arenas with free ships and quests or tutorial could make this game much more fun for new players. Meanwhile many players getting their first (and only) PvP experience from Hulkageddon, can flippers, ninjas, pirates - which is like teaching teens about life by throwing them into street gangs.
knulla
Doomheim
#91 - 2012-05-16 03:09:46 UTC
Lipbite wrote:

Gladiator arenas with free ships and quests or tutorial could make this game much more fun for new players. Meanwhile many players getting their first (and only) PvP experience from Hulkageddon, can flippers, ninjas, pirates - which is like teaching teens about life by throwing them into street gangs.

I saved your characters picture...

[u]Malice Redeemer[/u] - "Post if you are unsubing over the new inventory"  Posted: 2012.05.23 01:39

lol

Hroya
#92 - 2012-05-16 03:09:48 UTC
Standings.

You go your corridor but.

Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#93 - 2012-05-16 03:58:16 UTC
Lipbite wrote:

Free ships would be extremely counter-intuitive for our player-driven economy.

A much better way to ease players into pvp would be to tie pvp into missions. Game detects two people taking a certain level/type of mission, sends them to the same ship class-restricted deadspace area, where they become flagged to each other. FW tried this to a very limited extent, except, it's FW, so lol.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

Gerrick Palivorn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#94 - 2012-05-16 03:59:48 UTC
Local

MMOs come and go, but Eve remains.  -Garresh-

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#95 - 2012-05-16 04:06:11 UTC
xerroth wrote:
Or split it into 2 worlds/universes Hi and low/0.0 sec, high sec for people who want to play safe, no shooting each other allowed at all, mine to your hearts content or whatever.

This would gain subs , probably a lot,

Trammel or something, right?

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Mortimer Civeri
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#96 - 2012-05-16 04:21:30 UTC
Self important jerkwads, who loudly proclaim that they know the one thing that will "save EVE".

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." Calvin

Applebloom
Abyssal Nanofibre Internal Structure
People Assaulting People in Space.
#97 - 2012-05-16 04:29:30 UTC
jason hill wrote:
Applebloom wrote:
Scamming actually.......

nothing to stop you doing the same thing ...if you so wished . Question

it is a sand box after all

nothing says i haven't Cool, its just, ever since CCP said they endorsed it, the gameplay has gone into the shitter, i mean like corp spies and all are cool, but those local scammers with the hookbill for 5m each then the 5b one and **** is ridiculous. Get creative.

[img]http://i45.tinypic.com/2556jw8.png[/img]

Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#98 - 2012-05-16 04:36:33 UTC
Gonna have to go with the obvious: Local.

Few times I've done sleeper sites in a WH were pretty tense but also a hell of a lot of fun. Also, it'd make Jita a decent place to raise your children.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

Alara IonStorm
#99 - 2012-05-16 04:36:36 UTC
Applebloom wrote:
Scamming actually.......

Not a big issue. What CCP really needs is to input better character creator options.

Your Avatar looks nothing like what you were going for.
Lipbite
Express Hauler
#100 - 2012-05-16 04:38:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Lipbite
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Free ships would be extremely counter-intuitive for our player-driven economy.

When I want to brawl in real life I take a towel and go to nearby gym - there are always some boxing guys. It takes 10 minutes and cost almost nothing. When I want to brawl in player-driven hi-sec economy I have to jump into clone, purchase and equip ship, join RvB, etc. etc. - all of this can take hour(s). PvP in EVE is extremely complicated activity unlike in many other not-so-pvp MMOs where you can join a fight after single mouse click. No wonder some of hi-sec dwellers never shot anyone despite "EVE is all about PvP" myth. This should be changed - PvP-centric game where substantial part of player base never ever participate in PvP - it's non-sense and wasting of great potential. Besides what rookie ships are free and didn't ruin anything + I mean ships should be free to use within arenas only.