These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Let carebears be carebears (PVP Opt Out)

Author
Aphos Starslicer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#21 - 2012-05-13 10:43:24 UTC
AxelFuller wrote:
Ok so on the flip side what is stopping me from creating say 50 trial account characters putting them in my corp and then war decing other small corps who will see I have a 50man corp and think twice about paying the ransom money or putting up a fight.

Because you assume that people are going to care about your inactive, alt-filled carebear corp.
David Campbell
Primas Custos
#22 - 2012-05-13 10:43:52 UTC
The new war history maybe ? I'll sure think twice before giving even 1 ISK to 50 man corp who dec me but haven't shot at a single ship ever.
AxelFuller
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2012-05-13 10:46:51 UTC
David Campbell wrote:
The new war history maybe ? I'll sure think twice before giving even 1 ISK to 50 man corp who dec me but haven't shot at a single ship ever.

Is War history confirmed for this patch? i seen on the fanfest videos that it was in development but not going to make inferno?
Aphos Starslicer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2012-05-13 10:47:25 UTC
David Campbell wrote:

If anything, those type of wardecs are always hilariously fun.

Once a corp sounding an awful lot like that wardecced our little corp.

They were still flying with WCS post-nerf....
Aphos Starslicer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2012-05-13 10:48:15 UTC
AxelFuller wrote:
David Campbell wrote:

Is War history confirmed for this patch? i seen on the fanfest videos that it was in development but not going to make inferno?

You seem to have a massive opinion over something you seem to know very little about.

I would advise you to think carefully next time you make a 'feature thread'.
Alara IonStorm
#26 - 2012-05-13 10:50:03 UTC
AxelFuller wrote:

what is stopping me from creating say 50 trial account characters putting them in my corp and then war decing other small corps who will see I have a 50man corp and think twice about paying the ransom money or putting up a fight.

What will stop me from preforming the most basic background checks on the members of your corp to find out they are all less then a month old with no serious kill history.
AxelFuller
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#27 - 2012-05-13 10:50:05 UTC
Cheese :)
David Campbell
Primas Custos
#28 - 2012-05-13 10:51:01 UTC
It is on the front page of eve website at least. But even if it wasn't haven't you heard of killboards ? I heard that pvpers love to post killmails on those.
Homo Jesus
The LGBT Last Supper
#29 - 2012-05-13 11:34:13 UTC
No opting out of pvp in a pvp game, thanks.
Regis Core
Doomheim
#30 - 2012-05-13 11:39:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Regis Core
My feelings are mixed for this topic:

- I'm an ex pirate
- I'm an ex null-sec dweller

- So i'm retired. I spend my time in HighSec and i gain my living from different activities, mostly PvEing but i still have Pirate Blood pouring through my veins and i grief a lot of players for fun, because i want to, because i remind myself i play eve to blow up internet-spaceships.

- So it's confusing with me too. The mechanic would suck if a war would keep on going for 6 months, depleting my plex reserve. I could retreat in a WH to make isk, and form a fleet just to move the shitload of loot to jita. But that's overwhelming sometimes and frustrating.

BALLANCE MUST BE PRESERVED.

I make isk from PvE activity in high sec and low sec and a little from PI but i still want ACTION and spaceships to blow up.
Zoidberg Gahiji
Doomheim
#31 - 2012-05-13 12:10:21 UTC
I love those threads. It's like whining on the BF3 forums you got fragged but all you ever wanted to do was to drive that tank around and admire the surroundings. It's so mean!

How about you don't play a PvP game when you don't want PvP... Shocked
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#32 - 2012-05-13 12:50:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Mallak Azaria
You missed out on the PvP opt out threads by about 6 months. If you want a PvP optional game experience, don't play a game that revolves around & thrives on PvP.

AxelFuller wrote:

Your responses make no sense, i can opt out of PVP by staying in an NPC corp, there job done i no longer have to take part in PVP.

But why should this be the only viable option and i have to pay tax to that NPC corp for its preotection, that tax is ok i could accept that so lets ignore that point now as well and move onto the questions i raised in my OP which people are obviously not reading.

If i want to run a small 5 man corp for me and my freidns your basically saying do it at your own risk. ok so those same 5 friends join an NPC corp to be safe from pvp war dec greifers, now all that is happenign is that those 5 freinds dont get to share as much enjoment as easily as they could of done in a player run corp.

So there is an opt out option already its just a flawed one

This isn't true, you can still be suicide ganked. There is no PvP opt out option in EVE & there never will be.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Caellach Marellus
Stormcrows
#33 - 2012-05-13 13:33:59 UTC
AxelFuller wrote:
Aphos Starslicer wrote:
It's just not that kind of game. Sorry.

Hmm its a sandbox, exactly what kind of game is it not? lol

Sandbox by definition is a game which allows as much freedom to its player base to choose a game style which suits them and entertains there own desires.

And other players decide their gamestyle is going around and being the douche that kicks over everyone's sandcastles.

That's why you can't have opt out.

When your gut instincts tell you something is wrong, trust them. When your heart tells you something is right, ignore it, check with your brain first. Accept nothing, challenge everything.

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2012-05-13 14:33:12 UTC
AxelFuller wrote:
Aphos Starslicer wrote:

Sandbox by definition is a game which allows as much freedom to its player base to choose a game style which suits them and entertains there own desires.

You guys are such full of bullshit. You claim that EVE is a sandbox yet you want to deny that freedom to others.

I'm not a suicide ganker but lets say I am. By your definition of the sandbox, I should have as much freedom to to blow up miners because that is a gamestyle that suits me and entertains my own desires.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Katja Faith
Doomheim
#35 - 2012-05-13 14:37:05 UTC
AxelFuller wrote:
Your responses make no sense, i can opt out of PVP by staying in an NPC corp, there job done i no longer have to take part in PVP.

But why should this be the only viable option and i have to pay tax to that NPC corp for its preotection, that tax is ok i could accept that so lets ignore that point now as well and move onto the questions i raised in my OP which people are obviously not reading.

If i want to run a small 5 man corp for me and my freidns your basically saying do it at your own risk. ok so those same 5 friends join an NPC corp to be safe from pvp war dec greifers, now all that is happenign is that those 5 freinds dont get to share as much enjoment as easily as they could of done in a player run corp.

So there is an opt out option already its just a flawed one

I don't think you really understand EveO.

No, you do not opt out of PVP by being in an NPC corp. You opt out of being able to be legally wardec'd in high sec by being in an NPC corp. You can still conduct PVP (or be attacked) while in an NPC corp. The only thing that changes with a player run corp is that you can be wardec'd, and not pay the 11% automatic corp tax. That's ALL.

I'm not sure where you got this "opt out" option idea from, anyway. There IS no "opt out" in EveO. Someone somwhere can always affect your game.
Dibblerette
Solitude-Industries
#36 - 2012-05-13 15:10:10 UTC
AxelFuller wrote:
Aphos Starslicer wrote:

It also allows freedom for other players in big ships to do nasty things to your carebearmobile.
Five Thirty
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#37 - 2012-05-13 15:35:49 UTC
Follow me for a minute here, we're going to take a logical journey!

Many players in this thread and others have stated that there are not nearly as many carebears as you think.

So, why is it such a big deal to all these "PvPers" that opting out of PvP is made / kept impossible? If the amount of true PvE only carebears in the game is as small as many people claim, what's the overall loss to PvP in EvE? The loss is minor, if even noticed by actual PvPers, since most carebears don't go anywhere near the PvP focused areas in the game.

No, the people who lose by allowing carebears to opt out of PvP are the griefers. Please, don't try to call yourselves PvP players, you who spend your time waging war in high security space. It is not PvP when the only people who can shoot at you are industrial players who can't even fly a T1 frig properly. High sec warriors (LOL) lose out on their safe form of PvP if carebears get their way, and that just can't happen.... can it?

My final question is about weighing the losses attached with implementing some sort of change.

- If CCP decides to make high security space more (or completely) safe, what is the loss? Will 1000 griefers quit in rage or will they go out to low / null and join the rest of the hardcore PvP crowd? What if 1000 players re-subscribe because they can now play the game how they like without being SUDDENLY BETRAYAL by random griefers?

- What is the loss to subscribers if CCP decides to make high sec griefing easier? Will carebears quit in droves? Can / will CCP support people pissing in the sandbox when it affects their bottom line?

Time will tell, I'm sure.
Five Thirty
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#38 - 2012-05-13 15:39:47 UTC
Dibblerette wrote:
It also allows freedom for other players in big ships to do nasty things to your carebearmobile.

Schadenfreude isn't really a good basis for a gaming community.

Derath Ellecon
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2012-05-13 15:47:07 UTC
AxelFuller wrote:
With the new War Dec mechanics it seems like there is no consideration to players who wish to take part in PVE activity only.

It would appear the only option available to none PVP type players is to stay in an NPC corp or join a large enough Corp which is unlikely to get War Dec'ed because of the cost.

You have several choices. How many do you need?

AxelFuller wrote:
What happened to Eve being a Sandbox allowing players to choose what they want to do.

You can choose what you want to do. As with all choices, as is consistent with EVE's sandbox, they come with consequences. This is where your argument falls apart. What you seem to want is a choice with no consequences, which is exactly the opposite of what a true sandbox should be.

You have 2 valid choices, NPC corp or player corp. And within those two choices you have a multitude of options.

1. NPC corp- make your own private "corp" channel in game. Play as if you are in a player corp
2. Player corp- use corp taxes to build a "merc fund" to deal with wardecs
3. Player corp- join larger alliance.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. Lots of ways to deal with the choices and their associated consequences. Sandbox working as intended.
Rond Dorlezahn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#40 - 2012-05-13 15:54:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Rond Dorlezahn
AxelFuller wrote:
Aphos Starslicer wrote:

Well, now that you defeated your own entire argument in one sentence, I think we can all go home.