These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page
 

Performance getting worse?

First post
Author
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2012-05-07 13:42:24 UTC
Performance has been getting nothing but better for me. I was running 6 clients at a time and only recently dropped 4 of them simply out of disinterest in using them anymore. I have a couple of programs that track CPU/GPU usage and heat. Over the past few patches performance has increased notably for me.

I think if you are having performance issues, you should probably see a doctor.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Mono Ethanolamine
Perkone
Caldari State
#22 - 2012-05-07 13:57:48 UTC
Set your graphic quality to lower! There almost no difference for me because I am using a macbook to play eve with all lowest quality. Lol
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#23 - 2012-05-07 17:31:03 UTC
When I expect to be in a busy dangerous situation I always set Eve to "Above Normal" but not higher :)

I have all my backfround email clients and IM clients etc all at LOW, firefox I set to disable the IPC for the plugin surrogate process.

Definatly try that, and the Firefox solution. Ofcourse disable the HDR and stuff but that's a no brainer. its the subtle things that can have an impact liek the IPC hogging stuff on the system.
Bard0ck
Volition Cult
Goonswarm Federation
#24 - 2012-05-07 20:20:24 UTC
Im dual boxing on a 2007 system with an E6700 core 2, 4gb ddr2 and a GTX 260 Core 216 i bought in 2009 because my 8800gtx died and my pc still seems to be fine running everything on medium-high with HDR etc, graphics card temps stable.

My issue now is since the last patch with the latest directx update being applied when i land at warp disruption bubbles like one out of 3 times my game will chopp up and get appcrash :/ You can imagine how inconvenient this is... especially when your flying a several billion isk ship Shocked
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#25 - 2012-05-07 20:21:06 UTC
Bard0ck wrote:
Im dual boxing on a 2007 system with an E6700 core 2, 4gb ddr2 and a GTX 260 Core 216 i bought in 2009 because my 8800gtx died and my pc still seems to be fine running everything on medium-high with HDR etc, graphics card temps stable.

My issue now is since the last patch with the latest directx update being applied when i land at warp disruption bubbles like one out of 3 times my game will chopp up and get appcrash :/ You can imagine how inconvenient this is... especially when your flying a several billion isk ship Shocked


Roll back the DX update then.
Bard0ck
Volition Cult
Goonswarm Federation
#26 - 2012-05-07 20:22:20 UTC
I think CCP have been adding in graphic improvements / planning to up the amount of polys on screen because they are working hand in hand with nvidia, possible adding hardware acceleration is in a bid to increase sales of nvidia products and force gamers to buy new hardware... Anyone else think this?
Bard0ck
Volition Cult
Goonswarm Federation
#27 - 2012-05-07 20:23:06 UTC
Miilla wrote:
Bard0ck wrote:
Im dual boxing on a 2007 system with an E6700 core 2, 4gb ddr2 and a GTX 260 Core 216 i bought in 2009 because my 8800gtx died and my pc still seems to be fine running everything on medium-high with HDR etc, graphics card temps stable.

My issue now is since the last patch with the latest directx update being applied when i land at warp disruption bubbles like one out of 3 times my game will chopp up and get appcrash :/ You can imagine how inconvenient this is... especially when your flying a several billion isk ship Shocked


Roll back the DX update then.



Please explain how i can do this? Lol
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#28 - 2012-05-07 20:23:15 UTC
Bard0ck wrote:
I think CCP have been adding in graphic improvements / planning to up the amount of polys on screen because they are working hand in hand with nvidia, possible adding hardware acceleration is in a bid to increase sales of nvidia products and force gamers to buy new hardware... Anyone else think this?


Diff the patches, best way to be sure. I do that now and then.
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#29 - 2012-05-07 20:23:45 UTC
Bard0ck wrote:
Miilla wrote:
Bard0ck wrote:
Im dual boxing on a 2007 system with an E6700 core 2, 4gb ddr2 and a GTX 260 Core 216 i bought in 2009 because my 8800gtx died and my pc still seems to be fine running everything on medium-high with HDR etc, graphics card temps stable.

My issue now is since the last patch with the latest directx update being applied when i land at warp disruption bubbles like one out of 3 times my game will chopp up and get appcrash :/ You can imagine how inconvenient this is... especially when your flying a several billion isk ship Shocked


Roll back the DX update then.



Please explain how i can do this? Lol


Programs and Features? Windows Restore points? Ghost Images?
Bard0ck
Volition Cult
Goonswarm Federation
#30 - 2012-05-07 20:26:36 UTC
Miilla wrote:
Bard0ck wrote:
Miilla wrote:
Bard0ck wrote:
Im dual boxing on a 2007 system with an E6700 core 2, 4gb ddr2 and a GTX 260 Core 216 i bought in 2009 because my 8800gtx died and my pc still seems to be fine running everything on medium-high with HDR etc, graphics card temps stable.

My issue now is since the last patch with the latest directx update being applied when i land at warp disruption bubbles like one out of 3 times my game will chopp up and get appcrash :/ You can imagine how inconvenient this is... especially when your flying a several billion isk ship Shocked


Roll back the DX update then.



Please explain how i can do this? Lol


Programs and Features? Windows Restore points? Ghost Images?


Cheers bud
adam smash
Department of Gub'nent Welfare
Harkonnen Federation
#31 - 2012-05-07 20:56:39 UTC
Meh sounds like a fail PC issue... 4 accounts almost max settings... no issues... pcs 3 years old lul.
Bard0ck
Volition Cult
Goonswarm Federation
#32 - 2012-05-07 22:18:39 UTC
adam smash wrote:
Meh sounds like a fail PC issue... 4 accounts almost max settings... no issues... pcs 3 years old lul.



Lol yea its a heap of s**t need to replace it soon just being cheap atm :P
MotherMoon
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2012-05-08 00:26:09 UTC
adam smash wrote:
Meh sounds like a fail PC issue... 4 accounts almost max settings... no issues... pcs 3 years old lul.


I odn't think so I haven't the same issues

i7cpu 3.1
8gb of ddr3 ram
ATI 7690 2GB ddr5
SSD

I mean I only get 20 fps at lowest settings. And I'm not the only one.

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1206/scimi.jpg

Sarmatiko
#34 - 2012-05-08 02:04:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarmatiko
After installing my new GTX 560 and latest Nvidia beta drivers (301.24) my fps with usual settings dropped to 7-10 on station.
Then I have installed release version of drivers with "clean install" - 190-200 fps everywhere and no problems.
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#35 - 2012-05-08 02:40:08 UTC
Well, I can't recommend settings that max out your GPU load by going well beyond what is considered the average visual requirement of 60FPS. What you are doing there is adding unecessary computation to push out massive frame rates that you can't even detect without something to tell you it's happening. Good way to kill a GPU.

As for your PC, I'm guessing it is either Core 2 or Phenom or something. Your old board had DDR2 and new has DDR3 but same proc. so it has to be an older CPU. 560 is a nice GPU, but does have limitations. Actually, it is in some places considered a step down from the 460 it is based on due to the 460 pushing better performance. Unfortunately, IIRC they don't make the 460 anymore.

Should keep up on these things more, but I don't have any reason to.

The DX thing doesn't surprise me, but I think it's a mistake to think CCP is upping polycounts just because. They may end up with more when rebuilding a model to fubar'd for DirectX 11 Tessellation, but no game developer intentionally increases polys for the sake of it. It is best to have optimal polycounts everything considered, and the lower the better if you can keep a pretty nice model and still do it.

The textures and particularly Spec and Bump maps are what really make the difference from a player perspective in most cases, and with V3 those have been and are being improved a great deal. Makes a heck of a difference, but there isn't a solid reason why they would affect your FPS in the hangar or even in space. The only time you can really see them and have them affect your FPS is when you are looking closely. All other times the res drops with every increase of view distance and the textures just appear to be cool.

Visually, you can't see them anyway, so the game removes the high quality textures you see in your hangar and replaces them with lower quality ones incrementally.

One ship in your hangar, (which is all old textures still as far as I know; haven't seen a change anyway), isn't going to do anything to your GPU or have any great adverse effect on your FPS. Drivers or an incompatible or corrupted DirectX update might.

I just popped in to game and ran both clients on my normal settings with no noticeable change from usual. Fullscreen; I didn't try windowed mode. PC specs: i7 870 with HT off and dumbed down because of last years meltdown, 460 SC, 8 GB 1333 KHX RAM, WD 640GB HDD and Win 7 Pro on an MSI mobo replacing my orig. high end board cause it needs to be RMA'd.

So, yours is functionall much higher RAM and should outperform with 560s in SLI, but you might have issues from merged tech with the DDR3 and old CPU architecture. Should't be a big deal, but quite often it never performs as well as it should and sometimes just doesn't.

Basically, your CPU can't really deal with the bandwidth from your PCI Express and RAM. It's not designed for it. It will handle it to some degree, (better if it's Intel I suspect), but will have at least some bottleneck and possibly a little lack of functionality compared to a newer motherboard and CPU with everything else the same.

So yeah, anyone running into these issues should look at their drivers first, and maybe DirectX if that doesn't help. Tweaking your GPU settings might help too.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Nirnias Stirrum
UberWTFBBQ and Battle Technologies
#36 - 2012-05-08 09:35:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Nirnias Stirrum
Mars Theran wrote:
Well, I can't recommend settings that max out your GPU load by going well beyond what is considered the average visual requirement of 60FPS. What you are doing there is adding unecessary computation to push out massive frame rates that you can't even detect without something to tell you it's happening. Good way to kill a GPU.

As for your PC, I'm guessing it is either Core 2 or Phenom or something. Your old board had DDR2 and new has DDR3 but same proc. so it has to be an older CPU. 560 is a nice GPU, but does have limitations. Actually, it is in some places considered a step down from the 460 it is based on due to the 460 pushing better performance. Unfortunately, IIRC they don't make the 460 anymore.

Should keep up on these things more, but I don't have any reason to.

The DX thing doesn't surprise me, but I think it's a mistake to think CCP is upping polycounts just because. They may end up with more when rebuilding a model to fubar'd for DirectX 11 Tessellation, but no game developer intentionally increases polys for the sake of it. It is best to have optimal polycounts everything considered, and the lower the better if you can keep a pretty nice model and still do it.

The textures and particularly Spec and Bump maps are what really make the difference from a player perspective in most cases, and with V3 those have been and are being improved a great deal. Makes a heck of a difference, but there isn't a solid reason why they would affect your FPS in the hangar or even in space. The only time you can really see them and have them affect your FPS is when you are looking closely. All other times the res drops with every increase of view distance and the textures just appear to be cool.

Visually, you can't see them anyway, so the game removes the high quality textures you see in your hangar and replaces them with lower quality ones incrementally.

One ship in your hangar, (which is all old textures still as far as I know; haven't seen a change anyway), isn't going to do anything to your GPU or have any great adverse effect on your FPS. Drivers or an incompatible or corrupted DirectX update might.

I just popped in to game and ran both clients on my normal settings with no noticeable change from usual. Fullscreen; I didn't try windowed mode. PC specs: i7 870 with HT off and dumbed down because of last years meltdown, 460 SC, 8 GB 1333 KHX RAM, WD 640GB HDD and Win 7 Pro on an MSI mobo replacing my orig. high end board cause it needs to be RMA'd.

So, yours is functionall much higher RAM and should outperform with 560s in SLI, but you might have issues from merged tech with the DDR3 and old CPU architecture. Should't be a big deal, but quite often it never performs as well as it should and sometimes just doesn't.

Basically, your CPU can't really deal with the bandwidth from your PCI Express and RAM. It's not designed for it. It will handle it to some degree, (better if it's Intel I suspect), but will have at least some bottleneck and possibly a little lack of functionality compared to a newer motherboard and CPU with everything else the same.

So yeah, anyone running into these issues should look at their drivers first, and maybe DirectX if that doesn't help. Tweaking your GPU settings might help too.


Damn fine post sir, thanks for that. The CPU is the only part of my PC i didnt upgrade alrite, its a Phenom II x 4 3.6Ghz processor.. I am thinking of upgrading to one of those new fancy smansy hex cores in the next month or 2.

Just to let everyone know i seemed to have fixed this issue thanks to a previous poster asking me to turn off my SLI.. I did this and it now works flawlessly. I run 2 clients both on max settings with no issues whatsoever now, primary client gets FPS of 60 and the secondary client jumps between 60FPS and 100FPS.. I never run all 3 of my accounts at the same time, but at least i can run 2 of them fine now.

I dont know why turning off the SLI worked, im pretty sure i tried that before a week or 2 ago and it didnt work so im not sure what changed.
Cloned S0ul
POCKOCMOC Inc.
#37 - 2012-05-08 10:31:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Cloned S0ul
Nirnias Stirrum wrote:


When i was running 1 client the other day i undocked with a nice FPS of around 250, then i warped to a belt, FPS goes to 200, i looked at an astroid, FPS PLUMMETS down to like 50 and stays around that until i look away then it shoots back up to 200.

I could put both on full screen and tab between the characters but that doesnt exactly work when dual boxing during PVP.

Iv had this issue for nearly a month now, CCP know of it, iv sent every log, file, diagnostic i could think of right down to pics of my frame rate and a word document of the FPS counter.

Today, when i opened the VM to dual box again, i started having the same issues i did as if i just opened 2 clients normally. So now i pretty much cannot play this game unless i only ever use 1 character at a time.

Considering my PC has 16GB of DDR3 ram. a 3.6ghz quad core CPU, and 2 x 1GB ENGTX 560 cards SLI'd i should not be having this problem.. I have submitted petitions and gotten the responce "please attach this log and this file and heres how to do it" even though iv done all that twice already.

My previous build only have 4GB of DDR2 ram, same CPU and 2 x 1GB radeon 4870 cards, that could play 3 instances of Eve and still run team fortress 2 with no problems what so ever.




Hi

I use 4 year old computer AMD64 X2 4600+ GF 9600gt, 4GB (3.25) Ram, windows XP system, for meny of you im Dinosaur, but quess what, i run on this computer triple box, and i run all 3 clients in window mode on mixed low - med details grafic with average 60fps, im abble to run missions even pvp with this preformance and im happy, in my opinion EvE client is well designed and optimized espetially while you look at other actual games engines, that kill our computers preformance.

No offence but what you want, 400 fps or somthing ? Im sure your clients works awesome with high details with your compter configuration no idea why you so mad, btw while dual box pvp try focus on pvp not on grafic.

Regards
Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#38 - 2012-05-08 10:34:55 UTC
I do have performance issues right now, even when running just 2 clients. It seems to alternate between full and half fps the whole time, with a cycle time of about a second. And yes, I have an SLI card.
Nirnias Stirrum
UberWTFBBQ and Battle Technologies
#39 - 2012-05-08 10:36:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Nirnias Stirrum
Quote:


Hi

I use 4 year old computer AMD64 X2 4600+ GF 9600gt, 4GB (3.25) Ram, windows XP system, for meny of you im Dinosaur, but quess what, i run on this computer triple box, and i run all 3 clients in window mode on mixed low - med details grafic with average 60fps, im abble to run missions even pvp with this preformance and im happy.

No offence but what you want, 400 fps or somthing ? Im sure your clients works awesome with high details with your compter configuration no idea why you so mad, btw while dual box pvp try focus on pvp not on grafic.

Regards


Again please read the topics content... focus on all the sentences that contain the letters S and L and I.
Cloned S0ul
POCKOCMOC Inc.
#40 - 2012-05-08 10:43:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Cloned S0ul
Nirnias Stirrum wrote:
Quote:


Hi

I use 4 year old computer AMD64 X2 4600+ GF 9600gt, 4GB (3.25) Ram, windows XP system, for meny of you im Dinosaur, but quess what, i run on this computer triple box, and i run all 3 clients in window mode on mixed low - med details grafic with average 60fps, im abble to run missions even pvp with this preformance and im happy.

No offence but what you want, 400 fps or somthing ? Im sure your clients works awesome with high details with your compter configuration no idea why you so mad, btw while dual box pvp try focus on pvp not on grafic.

Regards


Again please read the topics content... focus on all the sentences that contain the letters S and L and I.


SLI is somthing for those who belive it can boost efficienty up to 100% etc, fact while using SLI you boost fps form 200fps to 210fps, but every month you pay more for using extra 250W in your computer, well probably you have to blame nvidia for bad SLI optimization not CCP.

Well i understand you, as SLI owner you expect more preformace, and here nothing wrong, but remember SLI etc are marketing manipulations same like crossfireX...
Previous page123Next page