These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Hulkageddon made me quit

First post
Author
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#481 - 2012-05-21 07:52:25 UTC
One less player to build gank those ships for the gankers.

"Hey where did all the cheap gank ships go? I wanna go gank miners! Why is no one building them anymore?"
"Because you killed them all and they quit."
"But but but how am I s'posed to get all moar leet gank ships now?!"
"Build them yourself."
"Wah! How do I do that?"
"Well, first you go and get a mining ship..."
"Fukdis I quit too!"

The ecosystem will balance itself eventually.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Kroenan
Kr Corp
#482 - 2012-05-21 09:54:56 UTC
Players ruining other people's fun to increase their own enjoyment of the game. Welcome to eve.

You do wonder about the mentality of people who get soo much enjoyment from griefing.

Tbh this has been a real learning curve for me. It has made me realise how insignificant the losses actually are.

Like everyone keeps saying, just dock up your hulk and go do something else. If you keep flying hulks you are only providing more ammunition for the scumbags.
Darek Castigatus
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#483 - 2012-05-21 10:22:17 UTC
Hammer Crendraven wrote:
Tarryn Nightstorm wrote:
Plekto wrote:
Yes, gankers don't always need cap to fire, but sometimes they fly ships with other weapons on them that require cap (especially in low sec). You could fire off a lock breaker or something else and the time it takes them to realize what happened and re-lock manually the barge(s) are in warp. Of course the bomber gets reamed most likely by the now very angry gankers. I mentioned this as the person before me mentioned low sec. I didn't mention that this was a low sec only tactic. My bad.

But the previous tactic in high of nerfing one or two ships damage by jamming them is valid. There's a whole skill tree and sub-section in the market for ECM and ECCM. That hardly anyone uses it is their problem. It's the best defense a miner has.

It all depends. That's my point - there are always things you can do to protect yourself in high low, or 0. You just have to NOT be AFK.

edit - I even log off to post here. AFK is as good as dead in EVE.


I'll say it slowly, one more time for the guy who doesn't seem to get it:

BOMBS

.....

ARE

.....

NOT

.....

USEABLE

......

IN

......


0.1+ RATED SPACE.

It's not "launch and get a GCC," it's "You can fit and load the module, but the game won't let you fire it." (The message from Aura's charming voice, IIRC, is "You cannot use that here, as it is currently against Empire policy.")

E:

Facepalm linky no workie, so [facepalm].



What a noob. Of course you can use smart bombs in high sec. Yes you do get a warning message and you can ignore it and fire away. If you hit any innocent targets you will get concorded. Gankers use these all the time in high sec. The favorite weapon of choice because you do not even have to target lock someone. Just get in range and fire away. Just about no way to stop this type of attack. So it becomes simple math. How many of these do you need to kill the target in one volley.
Then get into position and fire target is dead. Unless you messed up on the math and did not bring enough heat.
And I am only one month old to boot. I thought I was a noob. LOL!


As far as I can tell theyre not talking about smartbombs but about bomb launchers, two different things. You are right about smartbombs but bomb launchers dont work in any space above 0.0 security rating. If it turns out they do mean smartbombs then i guess theres been a bit of a communication fuckup.

Pirates - The Invisible Fist of Darwin

you're welcome

Daemon Ceed
Ice Fire Warriors
Infinite Pew
#484 - 2012-05-21 21:34:41 UTC
Katran Luftschreck wrote:
One less player to build gank those ships for the gankers.

"Hey where did all the cheap gank ships go? I wanna go gank miners! Why is no one building them anymore?"
"Because you killed them all and they quit."
"But but but how am I s'posed to get all moar leet gank ships now?!"
"Build them yourself."
"Wah! How do I do that?"
"Well, first you go and get a mining ship..."
"Fukdis I quit too!"

The ecosystem will balance itself eventually.


Derp, this is easy. Ninja salvage L4 mission runners. Most don't ever shoot back. Take loot. Reprocess. Buy Catalyst BPO (or BPC). Make Catalysts. Fit half of them with Meta2/Meta3 T1 crap you got from mission.

Do you really think that industrialists are required to make ships for gankers? Most of mine I build myself. I always christen them with a bottle of miner tears when they roll off the line.
Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#485 - 2012-05-21 21:48:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarryn Nightstorm
Darek Castigatus wrote:


As far as I can tell theyre not talking about smartbombs but about bomb launchers, two different things. You are right about smartbombs but bomb launchers dont work in any space above 0.0 security rating. If it turns out they do mean smartbombs then i guess theres been a bit of a communication fuckup.


Below:


Plekto wrote:
Note - for more advanced tactics, you could use a stealth bomber as support. Unlock, target your Hulk (all in less than a second) and fire off a void bomb.


That sounds pretty explicitly like a "launched bomb" (unusable in 0.1+ space) to me. He also mentions "lock-breakers" which is another type of Stealth-Bomber bomb. Unless he meant ECM burst, which in hisec, is just begging to get yourself CONCORD'ed in any number of loltastic ways.

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Darek Castigatus
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#486 - 2012-05-22 01:33:32 UTC
Well colour me slightly embarassed I missed that Oops

Yeah I'm still leaning towards communication fuckup myself because the alternative is that we share eve with someone who is illiterate as well as totally braindead and that thought is just depressing.

Pirates - The Invisible Fist of Darwin

you're welcome

Triple Entendre
Blackwatch Syndicate
#487 - 2012-05-22 04:00:48 UTC
Daemon Ceed wrote:
Derp, this is easy. Ninja salvage L4 mission runners. Most don't ever shoot back. Take loot. Reprocess. Buy Catalyst BPO (or BPC). Make Catalysts. Fit half of them with Meta2/Meta3 T1 crap you got from mission.


BPC?! BPC?!

You sicken me. The Catalyst BPO is absolutely mandatory.
Ivy Romanova
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#488 - 2012-05-22 09:33:41 UTC
Jeremy Firewind wrote:
Hey,

I find it totally untolarable, that 3 1 mill Isk ships can easily gank my tanked 300mill hull. Sorry, but this makes me really sad. It put me out of business for good, that was my last money. Your cool event just cost CCP a subscriber.


Yes tears are delightful, yadda, yadda, no stuff is to be had, because it all exploded.


boo hoo
heres a tissue

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ DAMN THIS    SIGNATURE    IS FANCY ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Gibbo3771
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#489 - 2012-05-22 10:13:38 UTC
You were mining, nuff said.

Takes you 2 weeks to mine isk for a new hulk? takes anyone else with initiative and an IQ above 75 less than a day.

Leave mining to the countless nullsec pet alliance bots, actually play the game.
Nora Smith
Fitzpatrick Royal Nuclear Products
#490 - 2012-05-23 08:36:39 UTC
Gibbo3771 wrote:
Takes you 2 weeks to mine isk for a new hulk? takes anyone else with initiative and an IQ above 75 less than a day.

A few hours of lvl4 mission running, or even mining yields enough wealth to replace a lost hulk in no-time. Lost several mining ships of all types myself, well, it's only a minor annoyance - players wihch are into everyday PvP loose a LOT more than the worth of a hulk in a few days.

Simply put, if you don't want to risk your Hulk during Hulkageddon, just don't mine during Hulkageddon, or if you really need to do, take some precautions. Mining in missions gives you some advantage, as many gankers don't bother to scan every system for mission miners, they just scout the belts, but you're always at risk.

Hulkageddon is announced weeks and months before it's actually commencing, thus actively following the community keeps you informed of such events. As I'm not into ganking, I personally see no point in actively taking part in Hulkageddon myself (neither as offender, nor a potential victim), but if people find it to be fun, it's their absolute right to do so. Also, if people think Hulkageddon is so much of a bother to them that they decide to quit, my sincere farewell to them ;)
Tusen Takk
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#491 - 2012-06-19 04:43:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Tusen Takk
so recapping this thread for people who are very much into tl;dr posts

-miners have yet to realise that theyre the reason why everything is expensive, stop pricing everything so high and being greedy and then your precious hulks will be significantly cheaper
-miners tend to see themselves as victims of the terrible horrible griefer even though the griefer was the victim of the terrible horrible miner's greed first
-miners are more likely to be angry middle aged midlife crisis types, younger kids who are new to MMOs and think ISK=real money, or hebrews who should be applying economic principles learned in eve to their real life finances instead of wasting their time on video games
-goonswarm is always at fault no matter what

youre all welcome

oh scheisse just realised i bumped this hardcore, my apologies
Gix Firebrand
The Chantry Of Gamall Vegur
#492 - 2012-06-19 06:05:20 UTC
I don't mine often, but when I do its not in a Hulk.

Hence, safe from Hulkageddon.

Morgorathi
Euaemon
#493 - 2012-06-19 06:15:26 UTC
Hulkageddon has never phased me.. I mine in an industrial ship aligned to a station... okay thats a lie.. I don't mine.. i just pretend to.

When did Crime & Punishment become the mercenary employment board?

Ristlin Wakefield
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#494 - 2012-06-20 13:55:49 UTC
Gix Firebrand wrote:
I don't mine often, but when I do its not in a Hulk.

Hence, safe from Hulkageddon.



You aren't safe. Goons are starting to pay for mining barge kills too. And even if you mine in a T1, someone looking for that extra bit of tears will kill that too.

There is no such thing as "safe" in EvE unless you are docked. That's what makes it so damn fun.

I have a lover, her name is EVE. I see her every night and all she asks in return is that I have a pilot's license.

Tusen Takk
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#495 - 2012-06-20 23:49:49 UTC
Ristlin Wakefield wrote:
Gix Firebrand wrote:
I don't mine often, but when I do its not in a Hulk.

Hence, safe from Hulkageddon.



You aren't safe. Goons are starting to pay for mining barge kills too. And even if you mine in a T1, someone looking for that extra bit of tears will kill that too.

There is no such thing as "safe" in EvE unless you are docked. That's what makes it so damn fun.


posting to confirm
Samuel Stark
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#496 - 2012-06-21 00:41:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Samuel Stark
Tusen Takk wrote:
so recapping this thread for people who are very much into tl;dr posts

-miners have yet to realise that theyre the reason why everything is expensive, stop pricing everything so high and being greedy and then your precious hulks will be significantly cheaper

Your average miner does not control the prices of minerals and the moon goo required to build hulks(as an example). Your alliance however does, hulkageddon is something your higher ups thought of to keep ship prices high, your alliance is as much of a reason as any other external factor so quit blaming your average high sec miner for the price of hulks, Especially when a good portion of a hulk is made out of null sec materials.

-miners tend to see themselves as victims of the terrible horrible griefer even though the griefer was the victim of the terrible horrible miner's greed first

Again an argument with no substance (surprise), many people who do not engage in industry fail to actually understand the time it takes to not only build the ships but also to ensure the bpo is researched properly. regardless hulkageddon primarily targets the high sec miner who have limited access to ores and are likely not the ones rolling out the majority of ships being sold.

Secondly being someone that has done ratting and industry I find it funny that anyone would accuse of a miner of being greedy when it is perfectly viable with decent skills to earn in excess of 60million an hour in high sec doing incursions or in null sec ratting where as there is a hard cap on miners, per toon it would be hard if not impossible for a miner (per toon) to earn around 20-30million in an hour which is half that of a ratter.

The above point highlights that miners are currently low in the food chain when it comes to isk making and that the only attraction to doing it was the fact they used to be able to simply sit back and watch a movie while mining veld.

You can blame the high sec miner all you like but the fact remains that the only people driving up mineral prices and thus ship prices are those that partake in hulkageddon not because the miner wants to spite you but because the loss of supply has upset the balance between supply and demand forcing increases in what people are willing to pay.


-miners are more likely to be angry middle aged midlife crisis types, younger kids who are new to MMOs and think ISK=real money, or hebrews who should be applying economic principles learned in eve to their real life finances instead of wasting their time on video games


Again another baseless assumption akin to the majority of your alliance, no matter what you do in a video game whether it is mining or pvping you are 'wasting time' depending on your point of view. Your actions in a video game cannot determine whether the time was well spent or not but then I do not expect you to think logically based on your statements in this post.

-goonswarm is always at fault no matter what

Something you lot take pride in, you have such a loathing for those that like to hoard isk and yet your alliance is partially responsible for setting t2 prices at fixed level as well as scamming people on a regular basis. Only yesterday was one of my alts confronted with a proposition by one of your idiotic members wanting me to join your alliance for the bargain price of 60% of my wallet in exchange for access to a vast variety of bpo's.


youre all welcome

oh ******** just realised i bumped this hardcore, my apologies


That being said some miners do themselves no favors. if you want to be safe then mine in mission areas, mine in low population areas and keep an eye on local and who warps in on you, be aligned to a station at all times and do not take any chances. High sec is safer than null but it is not safe.

Join a corporation with a mining arm as there is normally safety in numbers.
Shereza
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#497 - 2012-06-21 02:08:19 UTC
Tusen Takk wrote:
-miners have yet to realise that theyre the reason why everything is expensive, stop pricing everything so high and being greedy and then your precious hulks will be significantly cheaper


The sad thing about those viewpoints is that it's producers/traders and their buy orders that exceed the cost of miner-placed sell orders in many if not most high-sec regions that drive up at least parts of the mineral price, not miners posting sell orders.

Tusen Takk wrote:
-miners tend to see themselves as victims of the terrible horrible griefer even though the griefer was the victim of the terrible horrible miner's greed first


It's a shame that it seems most people believe that L4s are at least as safe as mining if not safer and more profitable as well yet still make complaints like that in light of producers/traders jacking up prices by placing buy orders with higher per-unit prices than sell orders have.

Tusen Takk wrote:
oh ******** just realised i bumped this hardcore, my apologies


No worries. With the size of this topic a quick "This is how dumb people are being" recap can be useful.
Jim Roebuck
State War Academy
Caldari State
#498 - 2012-06-21 03:50:40 UTC
I love tearegeddon.

When Bon Scott died and he appeared before St. Peter at the gates of Heaven, St. Peter looked at his record and told him he couldn't get in. Just then, God screams at Peter, "Let him in, Karen Carpenter is driving me nuts. I want to hear some music with balls. We'll haggle over the paperwork later." At least I hope that's what happened.

Tusen Takk
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#499 - 2012-06-21 06:08:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Tusen Takk
Samuel Stark wrote:
Tusen Takk wrote:
so recapping this thread for people who are very much into tl;dr posts

-miners have yet to realise that theyre the reason why everything is expensive, stop pricing everything so high and being greedy and then your precious hulks will be significantly cheaper

Your average miner does not control the prices of minerals and the moon goo required to build hulks(as an example). Your alliance however does, hulkageddon is something your higher ups thought of to keep ship prices high, your alliance is as much of a reason as any other external factor so quit blaming your average high sec miner for the price of hulks, Especially when a good portion of a hulk is made out of null sec materials.

-miners tend to see themselves as victims of the terrible horrible griefer even though the griefer was the victim of the terrible horrible miner's greed first

Again an argument with no substance (surprise), many people who do not engage in industry fail to actually understand the time it takes to not only build the ships but also to ensure the bpo is researched properly. regardless hulkageddon primarily targets the high sec miner who have limited access to ores and are likely not the ones rolling out the majority of ships being sold.

Secondly being someone that has done ratting and industry I find it funny that anyone would accuse of a miner of being greedy when it is perfectly viable with decent skills to earn in excess of 60million an hour in high sec doing incursions or in null sec ratting where as there is a hard cap on miners, per toon it would be hard if not impossible for a miner (per toon) to earn around 20-30million in an hour which is half that of a ratter.

The above point highlights that miners are currently low in the food chain when it comes to isk making and that the only attraction to doing it was the fact they used to be able to simply sit back and watch a movie while mining veld.

You can blame the high sec miner all you like but the fact remains that the only people driving up mineral prices and thus ship prices are those that partake in hulkageddon not because the miner wants to spite you but because the loss of supply has upset the balance between supply and demand forcing increases in what people are willing to pay.


-miners are more likely to be angry middle aged midlife crisis types, younger kids who are new to MMOs and think ISK=real money, or hebrews who should be applying economic principles learned in eve to their real life finances instead of wasting their time on video games


Again another baseless assumption akin to the majority of your alliance, no matter what you do in a video game whether it is mining or pvping you are 'wasting time' depending on your point of view. Your actions in a video game cannot determine whether the time was well spent or not but then I do not expect you to think logically based on your statements in this post.

-goonswarm is always at fault no matter what

Something you lot take pride in, you have such a loathing for those that like to hoard isk and yet your alliance is partially responsible for setting t2 prices at fixed level as well as scamming people on a regular basis. Only yesterday was one of my alts confronted with a proposition by one of your idiotic members wanting me to join your alliance for the bargain price of 60% of my wallet in exchange for access to a vast variety of bpo's.


youre all welcome

oh ******** just realised i bumped this hardcore, my apologies


That being said some miners do themselves no favors. if you want to be safe then mine in mission areas, mine in low population areas and keep an eye on local and who warps in on you, be aligned to a station at all times and do not take any chances. High sec is safer than null but it is not safe.

Join a corporation with a mining arm as there is normally safety in numbers.
you are terrible at using the quote function, so i quoted you so you cant go back and fix it.

oh and just a heads up, the average miner in eve usually has a market alt so they can take care of the pesky buy/sells themselves since theyre realising that youd be an idiot to just sell your mins outright. excellent try though *golfclap*

most of the rich people in eve online that ive met are industrialists, miners, and marketers, though i have met a fair share of scammers and lucky nullsec ratters etc. and they all point fingers at each other and say IT'S HIS GREED NOT MINE. all of it boils down to carebear vs not carebears, and if youre paying money to play a game to only sit in that game making fake money and not shooting other people at all, youre probably playing the wrong game and should try the stockmarket instead of a spaceships market. just sayin.
Karak Bol
Low-Sec Survival Ltd.
#500 - 2012-06-21 07:12:05 UTC
I lived in lowsec, I mined there, I "tried" to teach miners coming from HighSec running from Hulkageddon how to mine. My lesson started with:
1. You jump into your fast Frigate to make bookmarks. (Answer: What do i need a fast frigate for? I dont have one!)
2. Then some of you get in to a frigate with a cloak to scout (Answer: I still dont have frigate, we can use cloaks yes, so we can use cloaky Haulers, but if we scout, we cant make money!)
3. Then some of you jump into Drakes or whatnot (Answer: What? Even less Money???)
4. Then one Hauls... (Answer: Ok, I jump into my Orca or can we use a Rorq in the Belt?)... No, a T1 Hauler, that can hold a can (Answer: But that means the Hauler has to run so often!)
5. The rest of you gets into Covetors and starts to mine. (Answer: ... ... ... What is this Covetor you talk of? A Hulk or what?)
6. No the T1 Hulk, as it is expandable and insurable (Answer: But the Yield! The Yield!)
7. Get into your F...ING Covetors you Morons!

Many Highsec Miners are just not able to include losses into their ISK/Hour equation. I stopped trying to teach mining to highseccers shortly after.
I am not quiet up to date, but how many Covetors can you lose before it is the same cost as one Hulk? Including insurance of course. Like ten maybe?

So basically:
Loosing a Hulk: Coming to the forums full of tears, quitting the game
Loosing a Covetor: Shrug, buy a new one, mine on.