These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

New dev blog: Observing the "Burn Jita" Player Event

First post First post
Author
Lapine Davion
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#41 - 2012-05-02 14:20:29 UTC
Djavue wrote:
So you're allowed to deliberately cause lag in Jita now? n1, I'll get right on it...


How was lag being caused deliberately? We did see some people shuttle bombing a few stations, and those cases were petitioned and cleaned up rather quickly. Other than that how is packing a whole lot of people to do a thing, and then Tidi happening as a consequence of that, considered "deliberately causing lag"?

[b]Don't worry about posting with your main!  Post with your brain! "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."[/b]

Triskian
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2012-05-02 14:20:38 UTC
Drakefleet: Preserving Freedom (for our gankers).

Wardec overview is a must!
CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#43 - 2012-05-02 14:20:50 UTC
Anvil44 wrote:
Well done CCP. Both on the technical side of course, but more on the game side. You created rules (or a lack thereof) that allows this to happen. And it did.

I have almost no time right now for Eve due to RL but I did log on with an alt that was in Jita itself, just so I could float outside of 4-4 and watch. Awesome.

This is what makes an awesome game!
Thank you for those kind words! Big smile

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

CCP Guard
C C P
C C P Alliance
#44 - 2012-05-02 14:20:50 UTC
BeanBagKing wrote:
Shinzhi Xadi wrote:
why do you even have concord and high sec??

Concord exists to punish, not protect, there's a very important distinction there.

Also, good work keeping the server from catching fire along with the solar system CCP :) IRC even went down to have a little (unplanned) intervention, it was fun seeing ourselves on player run live streams.


Precisely. I find consequences to be so much more interesting than immunity ;)

CCP Guard | EVE Community Developer | @CCP_Guard

Aryth
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#45 - 2012-05-02 14:21:09 UTC
Some feedback on the technical issues we experienced.

Note, I am the planner and supplier of this event.


The bad:

TIDI makes the Blackscreening issue much worse. To the point that someone with lower than -2.5 sec status may never load grid before they are dead by faction police. Blackscreening was the #1 issue needing fixing.

Wardecs not being able to be fired upon. This results when a wardec is in place in only one direction. From what I understand, this is a quite old bug. Perhaps it can be fixed with the wardec revamp.

The good:

Two shots. When originally planned I only expected each BC to get a single shot off. However, due to some wierdness with TIDI and concord, quite often people managed two. Even without ROF implants and such. Interesting but not easily repeatable.
This was more than the usual 6 second bonus for off grid.

Smoothness. The best part of single shot ganking is that you aren't usually TIDI'ed for the first shot. Only when the target is dying and concord spawning does it kick in. So you get to watch in slow motion as someone dies.



We only used 1/3rd of the ships we had stockpiled. This was mostly due to the complete lockdown that Jita went into as far as freighters and JF's. Mineral volumes dropped 50%+ across the board etc. Targets dried up as no one would jump in or out of Jita. To the point that when we even saw the freighter with 1 exotic dancer, he just had to die too as we were bored.

So we have a stockpile of ships still in Jita that can do two more burn Jitas. Approx 1250 Tornados and another 12-13k Thrashers. The vast majority of our ships blown up were personal ones bought off market to clear that out before hitting stockpiles. We suspect the login screen advert and one month notice saved many a victim. Next time we will not notify in advance and will simply show up and announce our presence with a nice fat 10b+ ISK kill.

Everyone had a blast, and a total of 520B ISK in damage was done. Given the original goal was 1T using the entire stockpile, and we were on track for 1.5. This was a success for us far beyond what was expected. Jita turtling up was unexpected and a happy occurrence. So the players do read news/login screens in general and react appropriately.

We will be back, we already have the ships ready, and you shall see the howitzers on the gates of Jita once more.

Leader of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal.

Creator of Burn Jita

Vile Rat: You're the greatest sociopath that has ever played eve.

Mr Bigwinky
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2012-05-02 14:22:20 UTC
Weaselior wrote:
Mr Bigwinky wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:
We are not taking any sides here; this was a player-driven event in accordance with game mechanics and we try to support all such events to the best of our abilities. These are your stories.

I realise this is your stance (as it should be) but that is not how your blog reads. "Led by Goonswarm...jaw-dropping...stood in awe..." etc. etc."

Just sayin' Smile

maybe you should do something interesting and maybe people would care about that

bad posting, however, is not interesting

Not interesting, infuriating though apparently.
Please post again about how much you don't care though! ♥

I do lots of interesting things! I don't, however, feel the need to search for attention.
Welcome to EVE online, here's your rubix cube, go F*** yourself ♥
CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#47 - 2012-05-02 14:22:43 UTC
Nomad I wrote:
I'm playing since 2006 when it was crazy to jump into Jita with more than 300 pilots and when we had at least 3 unexpected downtimes each week. At that time the database was mysql. OMG that must had been terrible . I was part of huge fleets in 0.0 and saw the blackscreen many times and couldn't stop a gun. Nevertheless this game was always best in his class.

But in the last 12months eve became awesome as it should be. Thx for all the nights devs you didn't wanted anyway.
We have actually always used Microsoft SQL Server, but we have upgraded versions and hardware multiple times. Performance and stability has been a key focus for us in the last two years now.

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#48 - 2012-05-02 14:23:18 UTC
Zhentar wrote:
Any chance we could also get the list of dead ships in Jita from Friday - Sunday?
I'll ask around and see if CCP Diagoras can provide details.

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

Lapine Davion
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#49 - 2012-05-02 14:24:07 UTC
Aryth wrote:
Some feedback on the technical issues we experienced.

Note, I am the planner and supplier of this event.


The bad:

TIDI makes the Blackscreening issue much worse. To the point that someone with lower than -2.5 sec status may never load grid before they are dead by faction police. Blackscreening was the #1 issue needing fixing.

Wardecs not being able to be fired upon. This results when a wardec is in place in only one direction. From what I understand, this is a quite old bug. Perhaps it can be fixed with the wardec revamp.

The good:

Two shots. When originally planned I only expected each BC to get a single shot off. However, due to some wierdness with TIDI and concord, quite often people managed two. Even without ROF implants and such. Interesting but not easily repeatable.
This was more than the usual 6 second bonus for off grid.

Smoothness. The best part of single shot ganking is that you aren't usually TIDI'ed for the first shot. Only when the target is dying and concord spawning does it kick in. So you get to watch in slow motion as someone dies.



We only used 1/3rd of the ships we had stockpiled. This was mostly due to the complete lockdown that Jita went into as far as freighters and JF's. Mineral volumes dropped 50%+ across the board etc. Targets dried up as no one would jump in or out of Jita. To the point that when we even saw the freighter with 1 exotic dancer, he just had to die too as we were bored.

So we have a stockpile of ships still in Jita that can do two more burn Jitas. Approx 1250 Tornados and another 12-13k Thrashers. The vast majority of our ships blown up were personal ones bought off market to clear that out before hitting stockpiles. We suspect the login screen advert and one month notice saved many a victim. Next time we will not notify in advance and will simply show up and announce our presence with a nice fat 10b+ ISK kill.

Everyone had a blast, and a total of 520B ISK in damage was done. Given the original goal was 1T using the entire stockpile, and we were on track for 1.5. This was a success for us far beyond what was expected. Jita turtling up was unexpected and a happy occurrence. So the players do read news/login screens in general and react appropriately.

We will be back, we already have the ships ready, and you shall see the howitzers on the gates of Jita once more.



Need to hit a couple of market hubs at one time.

[b]Don't worry about posting with your main!  Post with your brain! "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."[/b]

CCP Explorer
C C P
C C P Alliance
#50 - 2012-05-02 14:25:11 UTC
Mr Bigwinky wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:
We are not taking any sides here; this was a player-driven event in accordance with game mechanics and we try to support all such events to the best of our abilities. These are your stories.

I realise this is your stance (as it should be) but that is not how your blog reads. "Led by Goonswarm...jaw-dropping...stood in awe..." etc. etc."

Just sayin' Smile
Very clear; we are not taking sides.

Erlendur S. Thorsteinsson | Senior Development Director | EVE Online // CCP Games | @CCP_Explorer

Lapine Davion
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#51 - 2012-05-02 14:25:29 UTC
Mr Bigwinky wrote:
Weaselior wrote:
Mr Bigwinky wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:
We are not taking any sides here; this was a player-driven event in accordance with game mechanics and we try to support all such events to the best of our abilities. These are your stories.

I realise this is your stance (as it should be) but that is not how your blog reads. "Led by Goonswarm...jaw-dropping...stood in awe..." etc. etc."

Just sayin' Smile

maybe you should do something interesting and maybe people would care about that

bad posting, however, is not interesting

Not interesting, infuriating though apparently.
Please post again about how much you don't care though! ♥

I do lots of interesting things! I don't, however, feel the need to search for attention.


I don't see anywhere in that post about not caring. Just that your posting is terrible, which it really is. This coming from one of the worst posters.

[b]Don't worry about posting with your main!  Post with your brain! "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."[/b]

Weaselior
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#52 - 2012-05-02 14:25:34 UTC
anyone who thinks they'll be safe just carrying low amounts of cargo should look at the freighter we ganked with 144 thrashers and soil themselves in terror

Head of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal Pubbie Management and Exploitation Division.

CCP Veritas
C C P
C C P Alliance
#53 - 2012-05-02 14:25:41 UTC
Aryth wrote:
TIDI makes the Blackscreening issue much worse.

We've tracked down a likely cause for this, and it's related to how the emergency hot-patch was done. Did you guys continue to experience this problem after Saturday's downtime?

CCP Veritas - Technical Director - EVE Online

Mordiggian ZulBhaSair
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#54 - 2012-05-02 14:25:44 UTC
Mittens, I think - judging from this devblog - the answer is: It's the same old CCP as before.
Lapine Davion
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#55 - 2012-05-02 14:27:31 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:
Mr Bigwinky wrote:
CCP Explorer wrote:
We are not taking any sides here; this was a player-driven event in accordance with game mechanics and we try to support all such events to the best of our abilities. These are your stories.

I realise this is your stance (as it should be) but that is not how your blog reads. "Led by Goonswarm...jaw-dropping...stood in awe..." etc. etc."

Just sayin' Smile
Very clear; we are not taking sides.


Don't give in Explorer, these "people", this rabble, just want CCP to condemn Goons for everything. They would absolutely LOVE to see the entirety of the CFC banned from the game.

Give these commoners no quarter, and neither will we.

[b]Don't worry about posting with your main!  Post with your brain! "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."[/b]

AdZc
Legio Prima Victrix
#56 - 2012-05-02 14:27:52 UTC
Although i could not be there, some m8s made a good bit of cash and i like the fact it could go down!
Lapine Davion
Outer Ring Applied Logistics
#57 - 2012-05-02 14:28:03 UTC
Mordiggian ZulBhaSair wrote:
Mittens, I think - judging from this devblog - the answer is: It's the same old CCP as before.


:madpost:

[b]Don't worry about posting with your main!  Post with your brain! "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."[/b]

TheButcherPete
NaCl For Sale
Brotherhood of Spacers
#58 - 2012-05-02 14:30:25 UTC
.... since when did DevBlogs become EN24 w/ stats and graphs? :/

[b]THE KING OF EVE RADIO

If EVE is real, does that mean all of us are RMTrs?[/b]

CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#59 - 2012-05-02 14:30:38 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP karkur
Louis deGuerre wrote:
Congratulations on a successfull weekend...

..but..."and not being able to make a war target only overview."
CCP broke this over a year ago (petitioned and acknowledged as defect) and seriously, why isn't this getting fixed ? It's just insanely inconvenient for doing anything war-related thing in highsec.

P.S. Same bug prevents a blue-only overview

I have not seen that defect... could you please explain better? If would also be excellent if you could file a bugreport from within the client, because then we get your settings so it will be easier for us to figure out if there is some problem with the settings.

The first thing that comes to mind is whether you have the "neutral" unchecked, and those guys are neutral (and since the overview settings are the way they are, iirc, if you have some category a character belongs to unchecked it will not display him/her in the overview).
I am not saying you don't know what you are doing, just the only thing that comes to mind right now P

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

Drago Palermus
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2012-05-02 14:31:11 UTC
CCP Explorer wrote:
We are not taking any sides here; this was a player-driven event in accordance with game mechanics and we try to support all such events to the best of our abilities. These are your stories.

And we thank CCP for creating an environment where almost anything is possible, giving enough time and effort. When things started getting wonky on Friday you all could have simply said "screw it, it's the weekend!" and went home. Instead there were fixes to Crimewatch, reinforcing of nodes, and a perfect execution of TiDi.

It is great to know that after nine years this game still receives so much support from the the developers.