These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Hulkageddon V: Unholy Union. 4000 dead miners.

Author
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#181 - 2012-05-07 12:41:28 UTC
Brooks Puuntai wrote:
Then again those who get into these events aren't looking for a challenge.

You know, we're actually doing those miners a favour by ganking them.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#182 - 2012-05-07 12:51:48 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Brooks Puuntai wrote:

Explain the nature of this 'favo(u)r". Or is this just hot air wafting across The Pond in the wrong direction for a change.....................

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Helicity Boson
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#183 - 2012-05-07 12:54:14 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Brooks Puuntai wrote:

Explain the nature of this 'favo(u)r". Or is this just hot air wafting across The Pond in the wrong direction for a change.....................

We're killing off the competition, smart miners will benefit from less competition (for a while at least) and that is always to their favour.

How long or much, well that's hard to tell to be frank.
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#184 - 2012-05-07 13:07:05 UTC
Helicity Boson wrote:

We're killing off the competition, smart miners will benefit from less competition (for a while at least) and that is always to their favour.

Yet at the same time your shooting yourself in the foot, since competition drives down prices, which means your ships, mods, and ammo would be cheaper. Ah the irony.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Fabulousli Obvious
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#185 - 2012-05-07 13:33:39 UTC
Brooks Puuntai wrote:
Ah the irony.

So much Irony and my clothes are STILL wrinkled.

I am NOT YOUNG ENOUGH to know EVERYTHING.  ~~ Oscar Wilde, writer, d. November 30, 1900

Iamien
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#186 - 2012-05-07 13:43:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Iamien
Brooks Puuntai wrote:
Helicity Boson wrote:

Yet at the same time your shooting yourself in the foot, since competition drives down prices, which means your ships, mods, and ammo would be cheaper. Ah the irony.

Tears > 2-20 mil. increase in ship costs.
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#187 - 2012-05-07 14:02:41 UTC
Iamien wrote:

One of the biggest complaints coming from nullsec and low sec is the lack of fights and peoples risk aversion. So while a increase in ship cost might not be much to you, it might be to others who are now unwilling to fight because of the increase in cost. As I said earlier, Its like shooting yourself in the foot, then turning around and complaining that your foot hurts.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#188 - 2012-05-07 14:04:58 UTC
Brooks Puuntai wrote:
Iamien wrote:

One of the biggest complaints coming from nullsec and low sec is the lack of fights and peoples risk aversion. So while a increase in ship cost might not be much to you, it might be to others who are now unwilling to fight because of the increase in cost. As I said earlier, Its like shooting yourself in the foot, then turning around and complaining that your foot hurts.

You have no idea how the game actually works.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

seany1212
M Y S T
#189 - 2012-05-07 14:05:24 UTC
Brooks Puuntai wrote:
Helicity Boson wrote:

We're returning to prehistoric times when T2 ships were rare and people had a blast in T1 cruisers Lol
Thomas Kreshant
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#190 - 2012-05-07 14:06:20 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

Then either explain or get out
Destiny Corrupted
#191 - 2012-05-07 14:19:16 UTC
Thomas Kreshant wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

An introductory economics course at a local community college will give you all the explanation you need.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

Thomas Kreshant
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#192 - 2012-05-07 14:23:40 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

An introductory economics course at a local community college will give you all the explanation you need.

How unexpected

Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#193 - 2012-05-07 14:31:47 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Thomas Kreshant wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

Sounds like you need to retake it then. Though I have a feeling you don't actually have a rebuttal or know yourself what your talking about.

Destiny Corrupted
#194 - 2012-05-07 14:56:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Destiny Corrupted
I'd estimate that a quarter of my posts in the past week have been made with the explicit intent of explaining why his claim is absurd, but okay, I'll do it again.

1. People who are unwilling to fight when ships are expensive are unwilling to fight when ships are cheap. I have eight years of empirical evidence to support this: not a single time has a single other pvper I've know said "sorry guys, Hurricanes are too expensive, I'll have to sit this one out."

2. High-sec carebears account for a surprisingly small percentage of total mineral production. Of course, this data is only applicable to the point that drone alloys and meta 0 loot are removed. After that point, high-sec carebear mineral output might actually hit double-digit percentage points.

3. The grand majority of pvpers are after kill quality, not kill quantity. If ships triple in price, so will the amount of money we make from loot and ransoms. This might surprise you, but when we play EVE, we're not looking for a deathmatch experience. What this means is that our profits will remain consistent, bringing us to point number four...

4. You have sharks swimming in the salmon pool. While the pvp dynamics between pvpers will remain similar, the carebears will now be taking bigger hits. We're better at pvp than carebears. With this in mind, we'll hit them all the harder, since doing so will result in even more money. This ultimately fits into the next point, and concerns a bunch of economic concepts you might or might not be familiar with, such as equilibrium points.

5. The supply/demand relationship ultimately rules over everything. The more expensive minerals become, the more profitable mining will be compared to other activities. Right now, if I need money, and am relegated to pve activities, I go into a wormhole and draw at least 150 million an hour, solo. The more profitable mining becomes, the more people will brave the risk to reap the increased rewards. While I doubt mining will ever reach wormhole/pre-nerf incursion levels of profitability, if it did, then I'd have no qualms doing it myself. Money is money.

Iamien
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#195 - 2012-05-07 14:56:56 UTC
Brooks Puuntai wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Thomas Kreshant wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

Sounds like you need to retake it then. Though I have a feeling you don't actually have a rebuttal or know yourself what your talking about.

I have no problem finding fights, wherever I go. No idea what risk aversion your talking about. Only people that are averse to loss are those with the mindset that wallet balance is a "Score" and not the resource used to make your actions have meaning.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#196 - 2012-05-07 14:57:55 UTC
Helicity Boson wrote:
smart miners will benefit from less competition (for a while at least) and that is always to their favour.

Then stop being Frank. Lol

The Win is indeed that favo(u)r above. My Wallet can't argue with that.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#197 - 2012-05-07 15:00:28 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

Shocked To understand a game ? No thanks.

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#198 - 2012-05-07 15:03:11 UTC
seany1212 wrote:

We're returning to prehistoric times when T2 ships were rare and people had a blast in T1 cruisers Lol

My Alliance Leader misses the 500 BS Fleets in Null back 'then', for whatever it's worth.

Sounds fun(ner) to me than Caps and Super-Blaps.

Destiny Corrupted
#199 - 2012-05-07 15:05:33 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

Shocked To understand a game ? No thanks.

I always viewed it as "to understand life," with understanding of game economies being a nice little bonus.

Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#200 - 2012-05-07 15:08:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Brooks Puuntai
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

1. People who are unwilling to fight when ships are expensive are unwilling to fight when ships are cheap. I have eight years of empirical evidence to support this: not a single time has a single other pvper I've know said "sorry guys, Hurricanes are too expensive, I'll have to sit this one out."

This is false but granted that maybe up to personal experience. People would be more willing to fly a frigate then a T2 cruiser in PVP. Why? Because its cheaper. Hence cost does in fact effect peoples risk aversion Look at RvB as a prime example, people flock to it because its combat in cheap ships.

Destiny Corrupted wrote:

2. High-sec carebears account for a surprisingly small percentage of total mineral production. Of course, this data is only applicable to the point that drone alloys and meta 0 loot are removed. After that point, high-sec carebear mineral output might actually hit double-digit percentage points.

This is true between the time that drone alloys was added in as well as L4s and low meta refinement as you stated. However since both those have been removed low end minerals primarily come from high-sec miners.

Destiny Corrupted wrote:

3. The grand majority of pvpers are after kill quality, not kill quantity. If ships triple in price, so will the amount of money we make from loot and ransoms. This might surprise you, but when we play EVE, we're not looking for a deathmatch experience. What this means is that our profits will remain consistent, bringing us to point number four...

In most cases people will kill whatever they can find. In the end people generally only care about padding their KB stats, quality is nice but quantity makes people feel more important.