These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

locked out at under 1900 pop?

First post
Author
Xenuria
#61 - 2012-04-27 20:12:57 UTC
Beekeeper Bob wrote:
Zaxix wrote:
Midge Mo'yb wrote:
i see no reason for the cap as it currently is...

Everything is permitted; nothing is forbidden. Welcome to the sandbox.

It's not a sandbox when you deny access to it....

Correct.

Second Life is a sandbox with walls (island limits, prim limits, caps, etc)

Eve WAS a sandbox without walls (no caps as long as they reinforced the node.)
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#62 - 2012-04-27 20:15:48 UTC
Silly HoBag wrote:
wait i thought jita was going to be on a reinforced node for this, as well as not just a reinforced node the big massive 32 core monster or whatever it is lol

And it is. That's how bad it's being beaten up.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#63 - 2012-04-27 20:16:04 UTC
To my mind, if you can't fly from one side of the universe to the other without using gates, it's not truly single shard.

That said, it's about as near as you can get.

Mr Epeen Cool
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#64 - 2012-04-27 20:17:30 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
Beekeeper Bob wrote:
Correct.
Not really, no.
It's still a sandbox, because it still gives you the tools to shape your own game world. Just because they limit how many can go into a system (a limit that has been there since roughly forever) doesn't mean those tools are gone.

Quote:
EVE had walls since the very start and was a sandbox anyway, because the existence of walls is not a factor in it being a sandbox. EVE is still a sandbox now because nothing has changed.

…so we can safely add the word “sandbox” to the list of terms you are unfamiliar with, alongside “shard” and “instance”. Any other word you'd like to add while we're at it?
Lyron-Baktos
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#65 - 2012-04-27 20:18:25 UTC
If Jita, which is on it's own node/server gets locked down at 1900 people, what does that say about the rest of the servers?
Dbars Grinding
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#66 - 2012-04-27 20:22:23 UTC
Lyron-Baktos wrote:
If Jita, which is on it's own node/server gets locked down at 1900 people, what does that say about the rest of the servers?

That they are from Walmart and the discount bin.

I have more space likes than you. 

Thomas Kreshant
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#67 - 2012-04-27 20:23:01 UTC
Lyron-Baktos wrote:

It says the servers that normally handle this number of ships and people in one place are normally hosting 0.0 space systems and do fine as they don't have to deal with the overhead that high sec rules brings to the crimewatch system.

And don't forget Crimewatch is being re-factored currently to clean up the horrible spagetti code that it currently is so no doubt that affects performance currently also.
Sigurd Sig Hansen
Doomheim
#68 - 2012-04-27 20:34:03 UTC
Mongo Travler wrote:
Last night I was in Jita the population was at ~2k and at 95% time dilation. Sitting in station was more or less fine and dandy but undocking and doing anything was miserably slow and choppy. From a layman's perspective it appeared the performance degradation was anything but smooth.

I believe thats called Time compression or dilation or something., Its not lag, its a feature

Mining is the "Deadliest Catch" in this game

THE L0CK
Denying You Access
#69 - 2012-04-27 20:34:33 UTC
Look at the tears flowing! Mission accomplished goons.

Carry on peasants.

Do you smell what the Lock's cooking?

Sigurd Sig Hansen
Doomheim
#70 - 2012-04-27 20:35:12 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Xenuria wrote:
The point I am trying to make is that if ANY system ANYWHERE in EVE prevents users from jumping in because of how many people are in there already or how much stuff is going on then the game is no longer single shard.

It becomes single shard under specific circumstances instead of being single shard under ever circumstance.

This is a caveat.

EVE ONLINE

SINGLE SHARD WORLD.....

Except when Jita is getting swarmed... CCP~

To give you a real life comparison on how dumb this statement actually is consider this,

If Jita was a football stadium (american football, or what the rest of the world considers to be football and americans call soccer, it doesn't matter) and was filled to capacity would you still expect to get in to see the game? The answer is no, it's a single location (shard) that just happens to be jam packed to capacity. If you got to the gates and it was full and the stewards sent you to another stadium to watch the same game with the same teams at the same time then that would be an instanced location.

Its probably a completely batshit comparison but it works for me.

So whats what the US called football everywhere else?

Sigurd Sig Hansen
Doomheim
#71 - 2012-04-27 20:36:29 UTC
stupid too many quotes crap

Tippia wrote:
Xenuria wrote:
Beekeeper Bob wrote:
Correct.
Not really, no.
It's still a sandbox, because it still gives you the tools to shape your own game world. Just because they limit how many can go into a system (a limit that has been there since roughly forever) doesn't mean those tools are gone.

Quote:
EVE had walls since the very start and was a sandbox anyway, because the existence of walls is not a factor in it being a sandbox. EVE is still a sandbox now because nothing has changed.

…so we can safely add the word “sandbox” to the list of terms you are unfamiliar with, alongside “shard” and “instance”. Any other word you'd like to add while we're at it?

Minecraft is still a sandbox even when the server you wanna get on is full

THE L0CK
Denying You Access
#72 - 2012-04-27 20:37:12 UTC
Sigurd Sig Hansen wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Xenuria wrote:
The point I am trying to make is that if ANY system ANYWHERE in EVE prevents users from jumping in because of how many people are in there already or how much stuff is going on then the game is no longer single shard.

It becomes single shard under specific circumstances instead of being single shard under ever circumstance.

This is a caveat.

EVE ONLINE

SINGLE SHARD WORLD.....

Except when Jita is getting swarmed... CCP~

To give you a real life comparison on how dumb this statement actually is consider this,

If Jita was a football stadium (american football, or what the rest of the world considers to be football and americans call soccer, it doesn't matter) and was filled to capacity would you still expect to get in to see the game? The answer is no, it's a single location (shard) that just happens to be jam packed to capacity. If you got to the gates and it was full and the stewards sent you to another stadium to watch the same game with the same teams at the same time then that would be an instanced location.

Its probably a completely batshit comparison but it works for me.

So whats what the US called football everywhere else?

Hand egg is the term I see most.

Do you smell what the Lock's cooking?

Xython
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#73 - 2012-04-27 20:40:07 UTC
Xenuria wrote:

There has always been pop caps. You are misinformed.
Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#74 - 2012-04-27 20:40:10 UTC
Completely locked to new traffic CCP?

This is fail on an epic scale...
Did you consider this when you held the Bee's up as a shining example of what EVE is about? Oops

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#75 - 2012-04-27 20:41:07 UTC
American Football is called American Football or hand egg everywhere that isn't the US

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#76 - 2012-04-27 20:41:36 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
Beekeeper Bob wrote:
Zaxix wrote:
Midge Mo'yb wrote:

Correct.

Suggestion: go play Second Life, please.

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#77 - 2012-04-27 21:07:06 UTC
Xenuria wrote:
Beekeeper Bob wrote:
Zaxix wrote:
Midge Mo'yb wrote:

Correct.

It's called Traffic Control, it always has been, and yes you can experience it in Null as well... it just generally has a higher threshold of players than a heavy commerce system like Jita.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

TRUE ZER0
SILENT INC
#78 - 2012-04-27 21:09:11 UTC
In before lock
Serge Bastana
GWA Corp
#79 - 2012-04-27 21:10:08 UTC
Beekeeper Bob wrote:
Completely locked to new traffic CCP?

This is fail on an epic scale...
Did you consider this when you held the Bee's up as a shining example of what EVE is about? Oops

Missing out on those epic industrial kills on the 4-4 undock to keep your efficiency at 100% there Lucy?

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Meryl SinGarda
Belligerent Underpaid Tactical Team
#80 - 2012-04-27 21:12:41 UTC
adam smash wrote:
CCP Goliath wrote:
We raise and lower the cap based on technological factors - if the system is getting hammered repeatedly, sometimes it has to be lowered to ensure performance. Simple as that.

What happened to HUGE fleet battles blah blah all your promo **** about 1 world... no instances.

Capping the system = instance.

Lowering the cap... is just epic lulz.

Nearly 2000 people isn't huge?