These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Single ship for high-sec exploration?

Author
casthor Khan
#1 - 2011-09-23 02:49:15 UTC
I am looking for a Minmatar ship I can use for high sec exploration. I want the ship to be able to do everything (I do understand that I may be gimping dps or tank on this). I just dont want to have to continually switch out ships. This is just meant to be a break from Wormhole living. I have seen Vexor's fit for this, but I would like to avoid other race's ships (unless there is just NOTHING in the Minmatar line up).

I've been looking at some ship's fitting layout and haven't really seen one that caught my eye. Anyone know of one that would work?
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#2 - 2011-09-23 03:44:42 UTC
I've heard of people using a Loki for stuff like that. I've also used a Wolf for exploring some in Sansha areas (though it's not optimal since there's no room for a Codebreaker on there). Personally I prefer using an Ishkur for most highsec areas, especially since the drones doing all the work saves me a lot of ammo (and leaves more room for loot). Here are the Wolf and Ishkur fits I use, in case you'd like to see them (the rails on the Ishkur are just for triggering the spawn in Watch sites I find).

[Wolf, Exploring]
Centii C-Type Small Armor Repairer
Centii C-Type Thermic Plating
Damage Control II
Gyrostabilizer II

Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters
Small Peroxide I Capacitor Power Cell

Core Probe Launcher I, Core Scanner Probe I
200mm AutoCannon II, EMP S
200mm AutoCannon II, EMP S
200mm AutoCannon II, EMP S
200mm AutoCannon II, EMP S

Small Capacitor Control Circuit I
Small Capacitor Control Circuit I


[Ishkur, Exploring]
Beta Reactor Control: Diagnostic System I
Beta Reactor Control: Diagnostic System I
Damage Control II

Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters
Gistii B-Type Small Shield Booster
Codebreaker I

150mm Prototype I Gauss Gun, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
150mm Prototype I Gauss Gun, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S
Core Probe Launcher I, Sisters Core Scanner Probe I
Salvager I

Small Capacitor Control Circuit I
Small Core Defence Field Extender I


Hobgoblin II x5



casthor Khan
#3 - 2011-09-23 03:49:27 UTC
I like the Ishkur fit, except for lack of room for an analyzer. Though, with me being picky about not wanting to change out fits or ships, that may be my best alternative
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#4 - 2011-09-23 03:53:33 UTC
casthor Khan wrote:
I like the Ishkur fit, except for lack of room for an analyzer. Though, with me being picky about not wanting to change out fits or ships, that may be my best alternative


Personally I just keep one in the cargohold just in case. In my experience though, most Mag sites aren't worth much, from a couple dozen K to a couple M tops. And you can do about half the Mag sites with only a Salvager anyways. Unless you're fitting out a cruiser, it's really hard to fit both a Codebreaker and Analyzer and still have a decent fit. And I'm rarely more than 1j from a station in highsec anyways, if I really feel like using an Analyzer I just dock up and refit fast.
syphurous
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2011-09-23 04:04:54 UTC
I use an Ishtar, I imagine the Minmatar HACs could do it. If you are travelling into Blood Raider space you want a passive shield tank.
casthor Khan
#6 - 2011-09-23 04:16:55 UTC
I didnt mean to make it sound like I was only limited to frigs, cruisers would be more ideal anyway. Im currently training for a Vaga. I'll give that a look. I would love an Ishtar, but I was hoping to stay focused on Minnie ships. Although other T1 ships would totally be an option. I had considered the Gila. That wouldnt take too long to train for. Gonna do some more research though, after I get a fit, I'd like to stick with it. A lot of times, I am just ready for a break right THEN and jump right on into the next thing, not buying new ships or fits, do that enough carrying ships in and out of a wormhole lol
Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2011-09-23 05:21:54 UTC
Battlecruiser.

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

Banroh
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2011-09-23 09:33:17 UTC
Didnt read whole topic so I dont know if this is mentioned.

My personal favorite is Muninn, it can fit the whole package and the tank is able to take 4/10 DED's (atleast the ones ive done)
I like the monstrous resistances and the nice dps numbers on EFT.

I dont have the setup in my hands right now but I think it was something like this:
This setup was cap stable for me.

Highs: Guns + Sisters probe launcher + Tractor beam (killer mod when there is someone trying to fetch your faction wreck)

Mediums: Afterburner + Analyzer / Codebreaker. My personal preference tho is web and recharger, I do combat sites mostly

Lows: 1 medium repper + 2 hardeners and nano membrane. I have been playing around with 2 gyros and less tank and vice versa, its really just personal preference. And yeah, if you want both exploration modules on mids, take 1 gyro off and use Capacitor flux (I always have trouble remembering if it is flux or the other one)

Also had capacitor control circuit rigs.
Emperor Salazar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2011-09-23 11:43:06 UTC
casthor Khan wrote:
I like the Ishkur fit, except for lack of room for an analyzer. Though, with me being picky about not wanting to change out fits or ships, that may be my best alternative


Mag sites are a waste of time. You are better off spending your time finding better sites. Don't settle for trash.
mxzf
Shovel Bros
#10 - 2011-09-23 13:13:58 UTC
Banroh wrote:
And yeah, if you want both exploration modules on mids, take 1 gyro off and use Capacitor flux (I always have trouble remembering if it is flux or the other one)


CFCs are never worth using on an armor tank. Use CPRs. CFCs reduce your total cap and increase regen, CPRs reduce the amount of boost you get when shield boosting and increase cap regen. If you're not active shield tanking then CPRs are pretty much always better.
Orlacc
#11 - 2011-09-23 16:17:54 UTC
Hurricane works fine for high sec and C1 and C2 WH.

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Spineker
#12 - 2011-09-23 17:15:28 UTC
syphurous wrote:
I use an Ishtar, I imagine the Minmatar HACs could do it. If you are travelling into Blood Raider space you want a passive shield tank.




Could you give me a fit for the Ishtar? I was wanting to break mine out and do something with it. I would imagine without the need for much in the way of guns or such its highs could be put to good use with the drone capabilities. Now I wish I were home to play with fitting it out.
Fabulous Virgil
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2011-09-23 17:40:23 UTC
Wolf can clear every highsec Sansha site just fine, if you can T2 fit a Rupture youre good aswell, for Angels you could just go with a Hurricane because the only site you can't do with it is Hideout and you can shield tank it
Aethlyn
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2011-09-23 19:41:25 UTC
If you'd like to invest some money and time into this, grab a Loki. Sure, you'll lose some DPS and tank as you mentioned, but did it for several weeks (not daily) and it was quite some fun (think I even missed T2 guns back then but it still worked). Hm... think I'll head back this weekend and do it once again for a while.

Loki might be more expensive then most other suggestions here but due to it's special sub module bonuses for exploration you'll be able to fit an extended probe launcher and you'll get (almost) the same scan probe strength bonus as a Covert Ops (considering you use some combat or cap related rigs).

Looking for more thoughts? Follow me on Twitter.

syphurous
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2011-09-24 00:34:32 UTC
Spineker wrote:
Could you give me a fit for the Ishtar?


Well the armor Tank version, you are going to run into CPU issues, so you MAY NEED to use some faction.


Federation Navy Armor Kinetic Hardener ( I personally use C-type hardeners, but I over tank everything I fly in PVE )
Federation Navy Armor Thermic Hardener
Federation Navy Armor Thermic Hardener
Damage Control II ( Adpative plating if your feeling ballzy )
True Sansha Medium Armor Repairer ( C-type here too, but it is overkill, I ran with a TSMAR for about 4 months, did Bloodraider sites with it. With no rep bonus, and at times tight cap a faction mod can be left on permantly )

Y-S8 Hydrocarbon I Afterburners ( Depending on your skills you may have to cycle this off for a cycle every now and then, Faction choice here aswell )
Imperial Navy Cap Recharger ( I run with T2, but have upgrade skills at 5, you may need faction for the CPU )
Imperial Navy Cap Recharger
Imperial Navy Cap Recharger
Omnidirectional Tracking Link I ( No good sentry drone boat should be without )

Salvager I ( I can fit t2, but again, CPU issues for some )
250mm Railgun I ( this is purely for aggro, you may want to use a named one, or even a civilian model. )
Drone Link Augmentor ( HAC skill gives you a bonus to range, you'll only want this if you are running sentries )

Medium Sentry Damage Augmentor I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I ( Over tanking here again, you can use to SDAs, or a Scope Chip, note though the penalty on drone rigs is CPU, skill Drone Rigging to 4 if you are low on CPU )

Look at BattleClinic loadouts for a lvl5 Shield fit, and adapt as needed for exploration. Personally only shield Ishtar I fly is in 0.0 with shield fleets.
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#16 - 2011-09-24 01:00:22 UTC  |  Edited by: FloppieTheBanjoClown
T3 is the way to go for exploration. It's quick, gets through smaller gates (but can't do a DED 2/10) and can pack on all the modules you'll need and still be able to handle those 4/10s quickly before someone else comes in and beats you to the loot.

Also, the ability to fit an expanded launcher is useful if you start venturing into w-space.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Spineker
#17 - 2011-09-24 13:58:40 UTC
Thanks for the fit yeah I will check some out on BC. I love the Ishtar need to find it a new job.
Kilroy Nightbarr
Anarchic Exploration
#18 - 2011-09-24 14:47:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Kilroy Nightbarr
This Ishtar will run just about any Hisec site that you'll find. Designed for Serpentis space, but hardeners can be swapped for whatever you need. Cap stable with AB and rep going and plenty of CPU for mods that let you get the most out of your drones. No need to ever change ships, just scan it and run it.


[Ishtar, HisecPlexOmniSingle-Serp]
Medium Armor Repairer II
Energized Thermic Membrane II
Energized Thermic Membrane II
Energized Magnetic Membrane II
Capacitor Power Relay II

Drone Navigation Computer I
Omnidirectional Tracking Link I
Analyzer I
Codebreaker I
10MN Afterburner II

Drone Link Augmentor I
Salvager I
Sisters Core Probe Launcher, Sisters Core Scanner Probe I
200mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S
200mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Gravity Capacitor Upgrade II


Ogre II x5
Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5


If you find a 4/10 or get an escalation, dock up and switch a few lows and mids for the following (also cap stable) fit:

[Ishtar, HisecPlexOmniDual-Serp]
Medium Armor Repairer II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Capacitor Power Relay II
Armor Thermic Hardener II
Adaptive Nano Plating II

10MN Afterburner II
Omnidirectional Tracking Link I
Large Peroxide I Capacitor Power Cell
Cap Recharger II
Drone Navigation Computer I

Drone Link Augmentor I
Sisters Core Probe Launcher, Sisters Core Scanner Probe I
Salvager I
200mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S
200mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Gravity Capacitor Upgrade II


Ogre II x5
Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5


Keep the alternate fittings in your hold and this ship is all you'll ever need. Toss a few armor bots in your bay and you can even rep your own drones before moving on to the next site.
Fabulous Virgil
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2011-09-24 16:40:26 UTC
Kilroy Nightbarr wrote:
This Ishtar will run just about any Hisec site that you'll find. Designed for Serpentis space, but hardeners can be swapped for whatever you need. Cap stable with AB and rep going and plenty of CPU for mods that let you get the most out of your drones. No need to ever change ships, just scan it and run it.


[Ishtar, HisecPlexOmniSingle-Serp]
Medium Armor Repairer II
Energized Thermic Membrane II
Energized Thermic Membrane II
Energized Magnetic Membrane II
Capacitor Power Relay II

Drone Navigation Computer I
Omnidirectional Tracking Link I
Analyzer I
Codebreaker I
10MN Afterburner II

Drone Link Augmentor I
Salvager I
Sisters Core Probe Launcher, Sisters Core Scanner Probe I
200mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S
200mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Gravity Capacitor Upgrade II


Ogre II x5
Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5


If you find a 4/10 or get an escalation, dock up and switch a few lows and mids for the following (also cap stable) fit:

[Ishtar, HisecPlexOmniDual-Serp]
Medium Armor Repairer II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Capacitor Power Relay II
Armor Thermic Hardener II
Adaptive Nano Plating II

10MN Afterburner II
Omnidirectional Tracking Link I
Large Peroxide I Capacitor Power Cell
Cap Recharger II
Drone Navigation Computer I

Drone Link Augmentor I
Sisters Core Probe Launcher, Sisters Core Scanner Probe I
Salvager I
200mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S
200mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Gravity Capacitor Upgrade II


Ogre II x5
Hammerhead II x5
Hobgoblin II x5


Keep the alternate fittings in your hold and this ship is all you'll ever need. Toss a few armor bots in your bay and you can even rep your own drones before moving on to the next site.


holy **** have you done any exploration before posting this junk
Cade102
Cade Industries
#20 - 2011-09-24 16:55:21 UTC
If you do not want to go spending almost a billion isk on a Loki, consider the Huginn.

Plenty of high and mid slots for cloak, probe launcher, salvager, guns, analyzer, codebreaker and a tank, T2 resists, fast, small hull.....Cool
12Next page