These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Feedback thread: Launcher on Singularity

First post
Author
Altarica
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#161 - 2012-03-12 17:52:14 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:
The Launcher should be able to handle your internet connection, regardless of speed. The data received from our content delivery network is checksummed to ensure that it's consistent before applying it.

You won't be able to download the patches as stand alone files any more, since the patches are created by the Launcher itself, when it examines your client prior to patching.



I think you mis-understand my issue. It is not that my connection cannot handle downloading large patch files it can, just very very slowly. Having to leave your PC on for 8 hours (and not using the internet to reserve the bandwidth for the download) before you can patch up is very very annoying. Hence why the ability to get the patch files manually will be missed, probably by more people than you think.


CCP Atropos wrote:
Regarding multiple installs, the Launcher downloads the patch into the client's root directory, and supports the ability to export, and subsequently import the patch into another client.

Long term, we want to get rid of the reasons for having multiple clients (usually related to having multiple settings configurations for different characters) which should solve this issue nicely.


That sounds good, getting rid of the need for multiple installs (and the use of junctions etc) is a good thing.

Halt Tranty
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#162 - 2012-03-12 18:06:34 UTC
First forum post ever, don't troll please! Lol

I'm a mac user and for the life of me I can't get the launcher to work.
I don't know what to do, I'm not very tech savvy, even with macs. What?
I don't know how to post a screenshot on to here, but i have one if needed.
Basically, the error message I get says
"Data package unavailable
The server you are connecting to doesn't have a published update package".

Any help would be appreciated (it's been like this since that launcher came out).
CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#163 - 2012-03-12 18:31:06 UTC
Halt Tranty wrote:
First forum post ever, don't troll please! Lol

I'm a mac user and for the life of me I can't get the launcher to work.
I don't know what to do, I'm not very tech savvy, even with macs. What?
I don't know how to post a screenshot on to here, but i have one if needed.
Basically, the error message I get says
"Data package unavailable
The server you are connecting to doesn't have a published update package".

Any help would be appreciated (it's been like this since that launcher came out).

It means that the payload that the Launcher is trying to access, is unavailable. Once we deploy the build, that will stop being the case and you should be able to update as normal.
Brenten007
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#164 - 2012-03-12 21:57:38 UTC
Having a launcher is nice. Please give us some update control because I have way too much stuff updating in the background and its beginning to get annoying when you have 3 or 4 online games i like to play.
Lost Hamster
Hamster Holding Corp
#165 - 2012-03-12 22:42:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Lost Hamster
Any chance to have different names for the two launcher?
Like:
TQ: launcher.exe
Sisi: launcher-sisi.exe

Each of them could be hardcoded to their respective servers. (but still have the possibility to specify a server tag)

I think that will solve the issues, when you release a new launcher - for sisi and it goes to tq.
And people would KNOW where they will connect.

CCP Atropos wrote:
You won't be able to download the patches as stand alone files any more, since the patches are created by the Launcher itself, when it examines your client prior to patching.

Basically you are saying that the launcher will crc check the files to determine what it needs downloading (like the repair.exe)
Then downloading it and patching?

*sarcastic on*
I think that will be really nice, when you release an 1 mb patch and the client will crc check 10gb of game files (which take 10+min) Shocked
I think everyone will love the new launcher. Roll
*sarcastic off*
Kor Kilden
Thukker Tribe Holdings Inc.
#166 - 2012-03-12 23:19:18 UTC
Perhaps an acceptable compromise for those with bandwidth issues might be to have an option for the launcher generate a "need to download" file that can be read by a web tool to actually do the downloading.
CCP Cascade
#167 - 2012-03-12 23:47:52 UTC
Lost Hamster wrote:

*sarcastic on*
I think that will be really nice, when you release an 1 mb patch and the client will crc check 10gb of game files (which take 10+min) Shocked
I think everyone will love the new launcher. Roll
*sarcastic off*


The check sums are cached between runs so it will probably take a bit longer time the first time you run it but a lot quicker the second time.

Associate Technical Producer - Core Technology Group

farraguat
Perkone
Caldari State
#168 - 2012-03-13 02:06:53 UTC
This is ******** just makes it take longer to get into the game should be working on bugs not making new stuff.
Ludriska
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#169 - 2012-03-13 06:03:25 UTC
Palovana wrote:
Following up on my last report, still no issues found running in Linux - the Launcher was able to patch the Sisi install and run it without difficulty on Linux (Wine 1.4rc5 on Xubuntu 11.10 64-bit with NVidia graphics drivers 295.20).

I do keep my Sisi install in a completely different wine prefix than my TQ install (many Linux users don't so I can't vouch for how well it works for them).

I'm also able to use the existing desktop shortcut that launches "eve.exe" through Wine, I didn't have to make a new one to use the launcher.

I really want to know your wine-setting. Since the new launcher was on singu i tried a lot to get it running, but the best one i had was a damn c++-error.

THX.
Kybalion
Merkavah
#170 - 2012-03-13 06:05:53 UTC
It's great that your launcher has entered the 21st Century. Now if you could do the same for the GUI...
Tidwald
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#171 - 2012-03-13 07:56:24 UTC
CCP Mandrake wrote:
Been working on this one all day and i'll be sending out an update for this shortly.
until then, a workaround is to start the launcher as administrator and immediately shutting it down. Then you can start it normally.


That option just compromises system security...

I see this is still not fixed, and your releasing this later today Roll
Nos Pheratu
Beyond The Apocalypse
#172 - 2012-03-13 11:22:18 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:
Nos Pheratu wrote:
CCP Atropos wrote:
Nos Pheratu wrote:
The fact that manual patch downloading will disappear is a bit worrying.


I'm not quite sure I understand your question. The Launcher creates a patch that you can simply copy to a USB drive, and take that with you. The proxy should only be an issue for connecting to the internet, and since the Launcher is using ports 80/81 that might not even be that much of an issue.


It is for people sitting behind a proxy that requires authentication for port 80.
I can't connect to the EVE servers from work because of the proxy, but i can download because my browser prompts me for authentication.
If the launcher doesn't cater for this, access to any port will be denied and we won't be able to get the patches.

Ah in that case, then no, it won't work.


Er, so in other words i may as well cancel my subscriptions now, because after the update, i'll no longer be able to download large patches from a decent internet connection?

How difficult can it be to build proxy support into the launcher? Even EVEMon, that i know of, handles connection through a proxy.
Way to go, CCP!!
sharon blade
Mortal-Strike Holdings
#173 - 2012-03-13 11:23:24 UTC
a couple of things to mention

we better have COMPLETE control of this launcher
-we do not pay sub fees to be your content peer to peer distributor
- we do other things with our pc's then games and most of are bandwidth limited

that being said a nagging memory of boot.ini being replaced comes to mind...

KEEP it simple and KEEP US in Control of the program, if this becomes some p2p networking crap that kills the bandwidth while im in a telephony conference (voip) then its pretty simple, eve will be deleted and subs cancled.

dont try to put crap past on us like u do in the past, from the all the errors and problems im reading this is YET ANOTHER rushed
release that is total garbage.

we pay your wages and keep you in business, we arnt here to deleiver your content, to advertise for you.

source code for this launcher better be open. im sick of ccp crappy releases and rush patchs.

CCP Donut Golem
C C P
C C P Alliance
#174 - 2012-03-13 11:28:02 UTC
sharon blade wrote:
a couple of things to mention

we better have COMPLETE control of this launcher
-we do not pay sub fees to be your content peer to peer distributor
- we do other things with our pc's then games and most of are bandwidth limited

that being said a nagging memory of boot.ini being replaced comes to mind...

KEEP it simple and KEEP US in Control of the program, if this becomes some p2p networking crap that kills the bandwidth while im in a telephony conference (voip) then its pretty simple, eve will be deleted and subs cancled.

dont try to put crap past on us like u do in the past, from the all the errors and problems im reading this is YET ANOTHER rushed
release that is total garbage.

we pay your wages and keep you in business, we arnt here to deleiver your content, to advertise for you.

source code for this launcher better be open. im sick of ccp crappy releases and rush patchs.



This is the exact reason that we've added download throttling to the Launcher. Please dig through the options when it's gone live, we'd love to hear your feedback Smile.
Daedra Blue
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#175 - 2012-03-13 11:28:12 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:
Sarmatiko wrote:

It seems there is no way you can revert option "Only display launcher window when there is an update" without editing/deleting settings file. Not much can be done there but I predict some noob frustrations in future

Heh, yea, you can unset it in the yaml file, but that's not a nice thing to do. If you've got ideas for a nice way to allow the user to open it up, I'm all ears

Menu Tick setting ingame. ESC -> untick option -> restart client -> Launcher Voila.
Nos Pheratu
Beyond The Apocalypse
#176 - 2012-03-13 11:30:18 UTC
CCP Donut Golem wrote:
sharon blade wrote:
a couple of things to mention

we better have COMPLETE control of this launcher
-we do not pay sub fees to be your content peer to peer distributor
- we do other things with our pc's then games and most of are bandwidth limited

that being said a nagging memory of boot.ini being replaced comes to mind...

KEEP it simple and KEEP US in Control of the program, if this becomes some p2p networking crap that kills the bandwidth while im in a telephony conference (voip) then its pretty simple, eve will be deleted and subs cancled.

dont try to put crap past on us like u do in the past, from the all the errors and problems im reading this is YET ANOTHER rushed
release that is total garbage.

we pay your wages and keep you in business, we arnt here to deleiver your content, to advertise for you.

source code for this launcher better be open. im sick of ccp crappy releases and rush patchs.



This is the exact reason that we've added download throttling to the Launcher. Please dig through the options when it's gone live, we'd love to hear your feedback Smile.


How about building proxy support?
CCP Cascade
#177 - 2012-03-13 11:54:52 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Cascade
CCP Donut Golem wrote:
sharon blade wrote:
a couple of things to mention

we better have COMPLETE control of this launcher
-we do not pay sub fees to be your content peer to peer distributor
- we do other things with our pc's then games and most of are bandwidth limited

that being said a nagging memory of boot.ini being replaced comes to mind...

KEEP it simple and KEEP US in Control of the program, if this becomes some p2p networking crap that kills the bandwidth while im in a telephony conference (voip) then its pretty simple, eve will be deleted and subs cancled.

dont try to put crap past on us like u do in the past, from the all the errors and problems im reading this is YET ANOTHER rushed
release that is total garbage.

we pay your wages and keep you in business, we arnt here to deleiver your content, to advertise for you.

source code for this launcher better be open. im sick of ccp crappy releases and rush patchs.



This is the exact reason that we've added download throttling to the Launcher. Please dig through the options when it's gone live, we'd love to hear your feedback Smile.


I would also like to add that the Launcher currently does not use any peer to peer traffic. More information about this can be seen in the FAQ on the first page.



Nos Pheratu wrote:
How about building proxy support?


What is currently stopping you from using a proxy? Does the Launcher change anything?

Associate Technical Producer - Core Technology Group

Maul555
Xen Investments
#178 - 2012-03-13 12:03:59 UTC
I am confused about the patch export feature here. Are patches made with this tool good for any release update? Can I take a patch created on a computer that is 1 week out of date and use it on a computer that is 6 months out of date? for that matter, can I take a new patch right now, and use it to update an original 1.0 eve client? if not, then where is that magic line in the sand drawn for the age of outdated clients that will take this?
CCP Cascade
#179 - 2012-03-13 12:10:23 UTC
Maul555 wrote:
I am confused about the patch export feature here. Are patches made with this tool good for any release update? Can I take a patch created on a computer that is 1 week out of date and use it on a computer that is 6 months out of date? for that matter, can I take a new patch right now, and use it to update an original 1.0 eve client? if not, then where is that magic line in the sand drawn for the age of outdated clients that will take this?


You can only export/import patches between installs that patch from and to the same version.

Associate Technical Producer - Core Technology Group

Lex Avril
Tr0pa de elite.
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#180 - 2012-03-13 12:18:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Lex Avril
To know on what level my point is: I do love Eve and I do appreciate the good work of CCP, even more lately when some really huge efforts were done that have a positive impact on how I can play the game
This said
[quote]If you want to connect to a different server you just use your /server:87.237.38.50 (for Singularity). Double click the icon and you will get patched up to Singularity! It is however highly recommended that you don’t do this to your Tranquility install and that you only do this to a copy of your EVE directory.[/quote

Please, no. No. No

Still that copy, hard to install and watch over ("How long might it take to even update my Singularity version?").
Still those mirrors ("how long am I behind that particular skill, that is intersting for me right now?"
Still all Faction items gone since ages after the mirror, out of the contracts

I want a second button on the login screen for Singularity
I want an auto update, an interface that mirros daily.
I want a playground to test my fittings with the same easiness to access like Duality is, or like a disappeared 3rd party software was
I don't want to care of whether I have a copy or not. I'm demanding the software to deal with that
Singularity is becoming a fossil. In my opinion a great tool slightly is loosing its potential significancy. Too long it is, since a corpmate suggested: let's plan this assault, the maneuvres, the dps on Sisi

Oh, and I want unlimited skillpoints to play with, maybe on a separate playground/systems?