These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Solo null sec ops

Author
Dantte Kai
Kai Family Aperture Science Division
#1 - 2012-02-20 18:44:36 UTC
I am new to the industry side of EvE. I was wondering is trying to set up a pos in null sec would be wise,profitable, and worth doing. I have a small corp of all my alts and didn't know of solo mining and manufacturing would be a good step.
Dantte Kai
Kai Family Aperture Science Division
#2 - 2012-02-20 18:46:21 UTC
And sorry of this is a duplicate post. Posting from my phone
Anonymous Forum Alt
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-02-20 18:58:52 UTC
I'm also interested in this - I think in the end you're going to end up paying a nullsec alliance 'rent' in order to use a system. I'm not sure if that rent also includes protection or if it's just to be left alone.
Cyniac
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-02-20 19:01:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Cyniac
Dantte Kai wrote:
I am new to the industry side of EvE. I was wondering is trying to set up a pos in null sec would be wise,profitable, and worth doing. I have a small corp of all my alts and didn't know of solo mining and manufacturing would be a good step.


Wise? No - you are placing assets deep in hostile space (even NPC null is intrinsically hostile) which can be destroyed by an incoming fleet which you would (most likely) be unable to defend against.

Profitable? Potentially, yes. However depends on exactly what you would be using the POS for and how. Forget about holding a high end moon solo, will not happen. However mid-level moons which are still profitable are still available in null. There are also other options out there though most will require you to solve the somewhat complex issue of logistics that go with it.

Worth Doing? Depends on what rocks your boat! It's certainly more exciting and entertaining that highsec (lowsec though is quite fun as well I find) if you measure it purely from an isk making perspective then industry in nullsec is not the way to go. If you however like to overcome challenges and do what very few have managed to do successfully and don't mind sweating blood (and isk) to make it happen, then it could potentially be worth it for you.


Whatever you decide to do - best of luck.

(NB - wormholes are also very much worth considering)
Dantte Kai
Kai Family Aperture Science Division
#5 - 2012-02-20 19:04:09 UTC
Well I was looking at one of the in claimed null sec zones. There are a few patches left that are still up for grabs. But I'm not looking to claim anything for my own. I just want to setup my main hq there and work from it.
Dantte Kai
Kai Family Aperture Science Division
#6 - 2012-02-20 19:13:19 UTC
Cyniac wrote:
Dantte Kai wrote:
I am new to the industry side of EvE. I was wondering is trying to set up a pos in null sec would be wise,profitable, and worth doing. I have a small corp of all my alts and didn't know of solo mining and manufacturing would be a good step.


Wise? No - you are placing assets deep in hostile space (even NPC null is intrinsically hostile) which can be destroyed by an incoming fleet which you would (most likely) be unable to defend against.

Profitable? Potentially, yes. However depends on exactly what you would be using the POS for and how. Forget about holding a high end moon solo, will not happen. However mid-level moons which are still profitable are still available in null. There are also other options out there though most will require you to solve the somewhat complex issue of logistics that go with it.

Worth Doing? Depends on what rocks your boat! It's certainly more exciting and entertaining that highsec (lowsec though is quite fun as well I find) if you measure it purely from an isk making perspective then industry in nullsec is not the way to go. If you however like to overcome challenges and do what very few have managed to do successfully and don't mind sweating blood (and isk) to make it happen, then it could potentially be worth it for you.


Whatever you decide to do - best of luck.

(NB - wormholes are also very much worth considering)


Well like I said before new to the industry side. So would staying in high sec be worth it for manufacturing ships and other mods? I wanted to make isk from more then just mining and selling ore. And can you setup pos's in high sec?
Therese Ishihara
Council of Exiles
#7 - 2012-02-20 19:26:51 UTC
Dantte Kai wrote:
Cyniac wrote:
Dantte Kai wrote:
I am new to the industry side of EvE. I was wondering is trying to set up a pos in null sec would be wise,profitable, and worth doing. I have a small corp of all my alts and didn't know of solo mining and manufacturing would be a good step.


Wise? No - you are placing assets deep in hostile space (even NPC null is intrinsically hostile) which can be destroyed by an incoming fleet which you would (most likely) be unable to defend against.

Profitable? Potentially, yes. However depends on exactly what you would be using the POS for and how. Forget about holding a high end moon solo, will not happen. However mid-level moons which are still profitable are still available in null. There are also other options out there though most will require you to solve the somewhat complex issue of logistics that go with it.

Worth Doing? Depends on what rocks your boat! It's certainly more exciting and entertaining that highsec (lowsec though is quite fun as well I find) if you measure it purely from an isk making perspective then industry in nullsec is not the way to go. If you however like to overcome challenges and do what very few have managed to do successfully and don't mind sweating blood (and isk) to make it happen, then it could potentially be worth it for you.


Whatever you decide to do - best of luck.

(NB - wormholes are also very much worth considering)


Well like I said before new to the industry side. So would staying in high sec be worth it for manufacturing ships and other mods? I wanted to make isk from more then just mining and selling ore. And can you setup pos's in high sec?


You can definitely set up POSes in highsec.

After you get settled wherever you set up shop you'll have to hunt around for things that are profitable and have enough volume to support your POS. Your best bet is going to be ammunition, my current opinion of ships and mods is that they aren't really that profitable.
Bath Sheeba
Another Success Story
#8 - 2012-02-20 20:14:11 UTC
Do not listen to anyone as to what is and is not profitable.

You will find much advice about what to and not to build......do not listen. Do the math yourself and see if it is worth the ISK/hr earned per slot used and also your RL time to manage it and keep the processes going.
Therese Ishihara
Council of Exiles
#9 - 2012-02-20 20:18:45 UTC
Bath Sheeba wrote:
Do not listen to anyone as to what is and is not profitable.

You will find much advice about what to and not to build......do not listen. Do the math yourself and see if it is worth the ISK/hr earned per slot used and also your RL time to manage it and keep the processes going.


This is true - even in the ammunition market you will have to do research as some types of ammunition aren't profitable.
Cyniac
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-02-20 20:23:54 UTC
Bath Sheeba wrote:
Do not listen to anyone as to what is and is not profitable.

You will find much advice about what to and not to build......do not listen. Do the math yourself and see if it is worth the ISK/hr earned per slot used and also your RL time to manage it and keep the processes going.


This certainly applies to everything I say.
Celgar Thurn
Department 10
#11 - 2012-02-21 13:54:58 UTC
Sounds like you need to read up guides on the Evelopedia before doing anything. I have no intention to be rude but doesn't sound like you know what you are doing.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#12 - 2012-02-21 14:10:49 UTC
Dantte Kai wrote:
Well I was looking at one of the in claimed null sec zones. There are a few patches left that are still up for grabs. But I'm not looking to claim anything for my own. I just want to setup my main hq there and work from it.


no, there are not. The "unclaimed" nullsec is NPC null, and not claimable by capsuleers (it's owned by corporations such as ORE, or the pirates).

Set up in empire (note that hisec requires [system sec] * 10 standing between your corporation and the owning faction, and you can only anchor in 0.7 on down). Lowsec has all the dangers of null ... and not much extra benefit to offer (though 0.3 on down you MIGHT be able to find moongoo).

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Zifrian
Aideron Robotics
#13 - 2012-02-21 18:48:01 UTC
This would be a huge waste of time. Just join a null sec corp if you want null sec ops.

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#14 - 2012-02-21 21:03:17 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
Dantte Kai wrote:
Well I was looking at one of the in claimed null sec zones. There are a few patches left that are still up for grabs. But I'm not looking to claim anything for my own. I just want to setup my main hq there and work from it.


no, there are not. The "unclaimed" nullsec is NPC null, and not claimable by capsuleers (it's owned by corporations such as ORE, or the pirates).

Set up in empire (note that hisec requires [system sec] * 10 standing between your corporation and the owning faction, and you can only anchor in 0.7 on down). Lowsec has all the dangers of null ... and not much extra benefit to offer (though 0.3 on down you MIGHT be able to find moongoo).



This is not quiet true. There are "unclaimed" systems in nul. However, this does not mean the systems are not considered part of an alliance's territory. Owning SOV costs isk. There are upkeep costs, development cost to upgrade a system, even costs associated with claiming SOV. SBUs are not cheap. If a system has no value, such limited belts, no station, crap security rating, etc., an allianceay not claim SOV even if the system is in the middle of their territory. This does not mean the alliance neglects the system and it's there for the taking. If u try to make a pos, they will kill it. they just don't want to waste money holding it.
Vicky Somers
Rusty Anchor
#15 - 2012-02-21 21:29:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Vicky Somers
Null sec solo ops? Definitely. But it depends on what you want to do. Ever since apocrypha getting in and out of deep null has been trivially easy providing you're patient. As a solo player your base of operations should always be high sec. Preferably in a system which is within 5 jumps of a trade hub or is a mini-trade hub in itself. Buy a bunch of ship BPOs and start working the market / PI / missions / R&D Agents. Train up social skills like connections as well. Get your standing with the local NPC corp and faction up to par so you can have access to jump clones in your home station and so you can put up a tower to research your BPOs. Once you're settles and have a nice cashflow going and a hangar full of ships, modules and ammo you can go pretty much anywhere from there.

Train up your probing skills and get into a cov op frigate and just move about. Got into low sec, null sec and wormholes and go as deep as you can. Just to get a feel of what you can and will run into. You'll die so don't put anything expensive in your clone. Once you're comfortable with traveling around New Eden you can move up to bigger ships to accommodate whatever it is you want to do.

There's not really much you can do in terms of industry though. Selling stuff in lowsec can be profitable if you can get it there. Just travel a lot. See who flies what. See what gets blown up. See what sort of loot rats drop. Put up your market orders. Just study the map and do the math.
Tierius Fro
Coronado's Cross
#16 - 2012-02-21 22:26:11 UTC
Going into null and working sites solo - yes.

Setting up a solo POS in nul - not a good idea.

If you want to solo POS in a system then see if you can find an unoccupied C1 wormhole.

http://ridingevewormhole.blogspot.com/

Revolution Rising
Last-Light Holdings
#17 - 2012-02-22 10:22:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Revolution Rising
http://ore.cerlestes.de/index.html#site:ore

If you click the "ISK" tab, it will sort by income.

If you notice, Hemorphite is now worth more than crokite, and found in abundance in low-sec ;)

Always fly safe.

.

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#18 - 2012-02-22 14:36:02 UTC
Revolution Rising wrote:


If you notice, Hemorphite is now worth more than crokite, and found in abundance in low-sec ;)




Barging in here on this one.........

.BUT...that Hemorphite is BARELY worth a few ISK more than just simple Pyroxeres refined, ATM. This is due to the 'continues to inexorably tank' Zydrine.

You are MUCH better off staying in High and grabbing Pyrox, and the Hedberg/Jasp/Hemo Triumvirate from Grav sites.

The Nullbears will just pop you every chance in Null.........and don't try renting....once you get down there, they will blow all your stuff up. GUARANTEED. Trust nobody down there for even a second.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Weiland Taur
Alpha Republic - Transcenders of Space and Time
Solyaris Chtonium
#19 - 2012-02-26 13:15:21 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Revolution Rising wrote:


If you notice, Hemorphite is now worth more than crokite, and found in abundance in low-sec ;)




Barging in here on this one.........

.BUT...that Hemorphite is BARELY worth a few ISK more than just simple Pyroxeres refined, ATM. This is due to the 'continues to inexorably tank' Zydrine.

You are MUCH better off staying in High and grabbing Pyrox, and the Hedberg/Jasp/Hemo Triumvirate from Grav sites.

The Nullbears will just pop you every chance in Null.........and don't try renting....once you get down there, they will blow all your stuff up. GUARANTEED. Trust nobody down there for even a second.


Everyone will not blow up your stuff.

You can look up a good Null corp and see if you can join. Many of them are pretty hands off save for some ops and or other needed home defense stuff. You might have to pay a monthly fee for SOV upkeep but in many ways Null mining is safer and more profitable than any other mining. Per your orignal question many nullsec corps will allow you to set up a pos in their space as long as your are a member of the corp and maintain it.

Nullsec is not very Solo friendly when it comes to industry.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#20 - 2012-02-26 13:33:53 UTC
Weiland Taur wrote:


Everyone will not blow up your stuff.

You can look up a good Null corp and see if you can join. Many of them are pretty hands off save for some ops and or other needed home defense stuff. You might have to pay a monthly fee for SOV upkeep but in many ways Null mining is safer and more profitable than any other mining. Per your orignal question many nullsec corps will allow you to set up a pos in their space as long as your are a member of the corp and maintain it.

Nullsec is not very Solo friendly when it comes to industry.



I'll just rinse and repeat (after personal experience a couple of times):

The Nullbears will just pop you every chance in Null.........and don't try renting....once you get down there, they will blow all your stuff up. GUARANTEED. Trust nobody down there for even a second.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

12Next page