These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

So does this mean your average Eve player is mentally damaged?

First post
Author
Valei Khurelem
#21 - 2012-02-21 07:58:37 UTC
No no, you need to do it like me with that wormhole topic that was up awhile ago.

"don't get us wrong, we don't want to screw new players, on the contrary. The core problem here is that tech 1 frigates and cruisers should be appealing enough to be viable platforms in both PvE and PvP."   - CCP Ytterbium

Ai Shun
#22 - 2012-02-21 08:25:13 UTC
Aggressive Nutmeg wrote:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-21/humans-not-naturally-nasty-says-scientist/3842114


The two lines at the end said it all.

Quote:
But he told reporters the research also shows animals bestow their empathy on animals they are familiar with in their "in-group", and said that natural tendency posed a challenge in a globalised human world.


Not in my monkey-sphere? GTFO.
Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2012-02-21 08:32:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaroslav Unwanted
Krios Ahzek wrote:
It's simple.

A videogame is not real life. You are not a psychopath because you shoot people in Modern Warfare. You are not a serial killer if you murder miners in EVE nor are you a criminal if you scam people out of their ingame money. You're simply playing the game as designed.


It is even simplier...

Morals and ethics are ideas therefore are not anywhere near "reality".

Simple fact that society grew upon artificially created rules, which has been drilled into mind of human-kind since beginning is quite frankly fascinating... So much brain-washed people are "citizens" claiming to be not brain-washed. However opposite does not exist in "modern", "religious" society anyway..
Brunmunde Hildegaard
The Green Machine
Shadow Cartel
#24 - 2012-02-21 08:53:14 UTC
Damn man, some people need to step away from their computer and get some fresh air...

"Sings me a dances of wolfs, who smells fear and slays the coward. Sings me a dances of mans, who smells gold and slays his brother."

Bubanni
Corus Aerospace
#25 - 2012-02-21 08:55:47 UTC
If a random no one is hurt on the internet by a internet bully, do you care?

if your answere was yes, then you must have a very very horrible life, thinking about all the rest of the people who are hurt in the world by far worse things

On the internet, most of us find enjoyment from "teasing" eachother, like small monkies jumping down from a tree to pull the tiger on its tail. (If you havn't seen that video, then do), it's a great example of primate nature, that we love to annoy others, to irritate them, and even bully.

Supercap nerf - change ewar immunity https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=194759 Module activation delay! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1180934

Grumpy Owly
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#26 - 2012-02-21 09:09:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Grumpy Owly
While I don't endorse that primal urges can't be controlled by self-discipline I have to concede there are anthropological and bilolgical influences at work. But I'm hoping our value systems goes a long way from seperating us from monkeys.

And to use an analogy, I'd certainly prefer someone to take their stress out on a punchbag than a person in RL.

However, where the lines are blurred is when people don't recognise culpability for their actions or trivialise "punkish" behaviour, they are still relevant even in games, even when in the cases that RP is at work. And attitudes on forums to certain issues needs to be kept in check. And for some I would remind about the presence of impressionable teenagers. But I won't dampen the argument down too much for fear of having overburdening sensibilities.

Principally, I do recgonise the idea that EvE is a medium for "freedom of expression". I'm hoping that people don't really blur the line too much here.

As an idea however, maybe as an experiment we should encorage any players in game who are qualified consellors or members of the psychiatric profession to afford councilling services IG? Blink Turn tear and rage conversion into isk?
Bubanni
Corus Aerospace
#27 - 2012-02-21 09:46:39 UTC
One should remember that eve is basicly a war game, and "mocking" the enemy is a form of battle-drum

Supercap nerf - change ewar immunity https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=194759 Module activation delay! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1180934

Grumpy Owly
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#28 - 2012-02-21 09:55:57 UTC
Bubanni wrote:
One should remember that eve is basicly a war game, and "mocking" the enemy is a form of battle-drum


Yes I'll grant you that psychological warfare has its place. Still doesnt take away responsibility from what you do in that does it?

Also you don't have to be a complete asshat in the process to achieve the above. In fact demonstrating intelligent wit that can subversly undermine the opponents thinking rather than just relying on the "Your Mom" or worse approach is likley more valuable as a tactic in these cases.
Steve Celeste
Doomheim
#29 - 2012-02-21 10:19:02 UTC
Raiz Nhell wrote:
I think that it means that we are all from the same end of the bell curve :)

The bellend.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2012-02-21 10:30:15 UTC
Aggressive Nutmeg wrote:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-21/humans-not-naturally-nasty-says-scientist/3842114

reading those sites makes you outside of group "average... " Cool

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Ptraci
3 R Corporation
#31 - 2012-02-21 11:15:14 UTC
A desperate play for funding by postulating something that flies into the face of 5,000+ years of recorded history. History teaches us that humans are willing to do absolutely anything to get what they want as long as they think they can get away with it.
Victor Valka
Insterstellar Mining and Manufacturing
#32 - 2012-02-21 11:26:19 UTC
St Mio wrote:
Must. Stop. Reading. TVTropes.

See you in a couple of days. Lol
Aggressive Nutmeg
#33 - 2012-02-21 23:00:24 UTC
Ptraci wrote:
History teaches us that humans are willing to do absolutely anything to get what they want as long as they think they can get away with it.

History also teaches us that groups and individuals are willing to make great sacrifices for the sake of some high ideal.

For some the glass is half empty. For others the glass is half full. Technically, the glass is always full (air + water).

And yes, I majored in t-shirt philosophy.

Never make eye contact with someone while eating a banana.

Grumpy Owly
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#34 - 2012-02-21 23:03:03 UTC
Aggressive Nutmeg wrote:
Ptraci wrote:
History teaches us that humans are willing to do absolutely anything to get what they want as long as they think they can get away with it.

History also teaches us that groups and individuals are willing to make great sacrifices for the sake of some high ideal.

For some the glass is half empty. For others the glass is half full. Technically, the glass is always full (air + water).

And yes, I majored in t-shirt philosophy.


I've always seen it as more relevant as to how thirsty you are, or how big a glass you have decided to give yourself in the first place as to how relevant the half/full glass philosophy translates.
rodyas
Tie Fighters Inc
#35 - 2012-02-21 23:11:27 UTC  |  Edited by: rodyas
Animals eat other animals. So what did the scientist say about that? Or the fact wolve chase a prey, till the prey is tired and gives up easily, then the wolf puts its jaws into it.

Or that lions go for the young animals or weak or injured ones. That seems kind of cruel or mean.

Signature removed for inappropriate language - CCP Eterne

Sasha Azala
Doomheim
#36 - 2012-02-21 23:20:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Sasha Azala
Ptraci wrote:
A desperate play for funding by postulating something that flies into the face of 5,000+ years of recorded history. History teaches us that humans are willing to do absolutely anything to get what they want as long as they think they can get away with it.



Maybe you should have reworded that to:

History teaches us that some humans are willing to do absolutely anything to get what they want as long as they think they can get away with it.
Sasha Azala
Doomheim
#37 - 2012-02-21 23:39:17 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Krios Ahzek wrote:
It's simple.

A videogame is not real life. You are not a psychopath because you shoot people in Modern Warfare. You are not a serial killer if you murder miners in EVE nor are you a criminal if you scam people out of their ingame money. You're simply playing the game as designed.


It is even simplier...

Morals and ethics are ideas therefore are not anywhere near "reality".

Simple fact that society grew upon artificially created rules, which has been drilled into mind of human-kind since beginning is quite frankly fascinating... So much brain-washed people are "citizens" claiming to be not brain-washed. However opposite does not exist in "modern", "religious" society anyway..




Morals and ethics are ideas, but I would not say people are necessarily brain-washed, because for morals and ethics to take the individuals have to feel that they're worthwhile.


Without morals, ethics, laws and rules, I doubt the human race would be as advanced as it is at the moment.
MadMuppet
Critical Mass Inc
#38 - 2012-02-21 23:59:41 UTC
Krios Ahzek wrote:
Blame society


Ok, we'll go arrest it then.

This message brought to you by Experience(tm). When common sense fails you, experience will come to the rescue. Experience(tm) from the makers of CONCORD.

"If you are part of the problem, you will be nerfed." -MadMuppet

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#39 - 2012-02-22 00:13:46 UTC
I dont think those scientist have looked outside. Humanity isnt the nicest race around.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Meryl SinGarda
Belligerent Underpaid Tactical Team
#40 - 2012-02-22 00:29:00 UTC
Valei Khurelem wrote:
Quote:
EvE is real, so much so that comparison of real life relevance is now used as a platform to debate morality in a Sci Fi game.


Sorry, but the fact that EVE players run around parroting marketing slogans created by CCP and they have an obsession claiming EVE is a harsh universe when it isn't does make me question the mental state of a lot of the player base. EVE isn't a harsh universe, it's just a silly overhyped game that is limping along because no one has anything better to play, if someone came out with the exact same type of game and did real time combat with where you aimed your turrets instead of locking on it would be completely obliterated.


Nope. There have been maybe four or five recent MMOs that have tried this and it was horrifail.