These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

CCP! Please clarify the future plans for WiS!

First post
Author
Wacktopia
State War Academy
Caldari State
#2961 - 2012-02-16 10:14:54 UTC
Hikaru Kuroda wrote:
I think Incarna will not be fully deployed until WoD do first, because they're using the same code, engine, textures, models, etc. The best part of this, is that the development of the EVE team will benefit from the WoD team. It's for sure we will be getting a fully fitted Incarna sooner or later, but I am convinced that time has more to do with WoD than with EVE.

I also realized for several months that there are many clothes in Singularity which are ready for implementation in Tranquility. Why they're delaying it so much? Could this be because CCP are thinking a way to remove the NeX Store?

Oh, and still waiting the Team Avatar dev blog.


Didn't they junk WoD entirely?

Kitchen sink? Seriousy, get your ship together -  Fleet-Up.com

Crucis Cassiopeiae
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#2962 - 2012-02-16 10:57:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Crucis Cassiopeiae
Wacktopia wrote:
Hikaru Kuroda wrote:
I think Incarna will not be fully deployed until WoD do first, because they're using the same code, engine, textures, models, etc. The best part of this, is that the development of the EVE team will benefit from the WoD team. It's for sure we will be getting a fully fitted Incarna sooner or later, but I am convinced that time has more to do with WoD than with EVE.

I also realized for several months that there are many clothes in Singularity which are ready for implementation in Tranquility. Why they're delaying it so much? Could this be because CCP are thinking a way to remove the NeX Store?

Oh, and still waiting the Team Avatar dev blog.


Didn't they junk WoD entirely?


Yea...
Development studio will junk years of work...
AND junk all that money they invested when they bought White Wolf...
Turn your brains ON ppl... Roll

CCP devs must earn their paychecks, now and in the future.

Vote Issler Dainze for CSM7! http://community.eveonline.com/council/voting/Vote.asp?c=470 

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2963 - 2012-02-16 11:09:28 UTC
Taiwanistan wrote:
my argument is that wis is useless, and your need for social gaming is frivolous, must i repeat that again?
and it's laughable that you decry that crucible, and its new ships and fixes as "not new content",
while you feel that IF given a room, for 5 dudes to /emote with, is literally the second goddamn coming of christ and the best thing to ever happen to eve? GTFO

Wacktopia sure i care how the game looks, i want new textures for them minmatar ships. i am also supportive of an alternate "thin client" where it's straight up white boxes and red crosses for those that need it for certain situations.
you are in noire, go ask how your leaders plan contracts, i bet they just load up teamspeak and deliberate over dotlan.


Why do you want us to repeat ourselves then? No one is saying they want emotes and dancing in incarna. Most of us want real meaningful gameplay in WiS that will compliment FiS.

You have what you want. CCP are focusing on FiS content (so they say) and WiS has been shelved (even though they claim otherwise) and we will probably not see any good content added to WiS for a long time, so rest easy with that knowledge. However that doesn't stop people from wanting more from the game other that more ships and fixes.
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2964 - 2012-02-16 11:33:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
Taiwanistan wrote:


1. Why do you think that WiS is useless and 2. why do you think social gaming is frivolous?
right now there is no clear indication of what wis gameplay will be except that there is none right now. therefore it is useless.
the only few hints we've had are bars, some mini games, some corp rooms, a promenade.
why is the above useless? because all things in eve must be related to the "sandbox" or ecosystem or what you may call it
which is the destruction and creation of things, gaining isk or inflicting loss, and getting killmails. by the way i've said this before i just can't find it.

2. social gaming is frivolous because: take a look the cesspool that is second life. and the (insert derogative) people that play them.

But most importantly what appalls me is the carpet-baggery of dowager issler who is a me-too advocate for mining changes when her only agenda is wis. now i don't care about the fact that she claims to run a "mining corp" mining in her case is merely a shill issue, politicizing.



You contradict yourself quite a lot there.

Your argument against further development on WiS is that there is no existing gameplay, so CCP shouldn't waste time on developing interesting game play... That's just silly.

You site things that CCP have talked about like the mini games, gambling and public areas and say that this is not part of the sandbox experience when it actually would be. You could gamble for isk or ships, you could be really good at the mini games and through that, meet new friends that you could experience other parts of eve with or you could follow a war target who is docked instead of just watching the station guest window. To me all that would enrich the experience and in some cases, i can see how it would help newer player get more involved in the game.

EVE is already a "social game" because it can be played with other people, so i'm not sure what you are on about there...

A sand box game is a game where you have choice and freedom.
Crucis Cassiopeiae
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#2965 - 2012-02-16 14:57:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Crucis Cassiopeiae
Rek Seven wrote:
Taiwanistan wrote:


1. Why do you think that WiS is useless and 2. why do you think social gaming is frivolous?
right now there is no clear indication of what wis gameplay will be except that there is none right now. therefore it is useless.
the only few hints we've had are bars, some mini games, some corp rooms, a promenade.
why is the above useless? because all things in eve must be related to the "sandbox" or ecosystem or what you may call it
which is the destruction and creation of things, gaining isk or inflicting loss, and getting killmails. by the way i've said this before i just can't find it.

2. social gaming is frivolous because: take a look the cesspool that is second life. and the (insert derogative) people that play them.

But most importantly what appalls me is the carpet-baggery of dowager issler who is a me-too advocate for mining changes when her only agenda is wis. now i don't care about the fact that she claims to run a "mining corp" mining in her case is merely a shill issue, politicizing.



You contradict yourself quite a lot there.

Your argument against further development on WiS is that there is no existing gameplay, so CCP shouldn't waste time on developing interesting game play... That's just silly.

You site things that CCP have talked about like the mini games, gambling and public areas and say that this is not part of the sandbox experience when it actually would be. You could gamble for isk or ships, you could be really good at the mini games and through that, meet new friends that you could experience other parts of eve with or you could follow a war target who is docked instead of just watching the station guest window. To me all that would enrich the experience and in some cases, i can see how it would help newer player get more involved in the game.

EVE is already a "social game" because it can be played with other people, so i'm not sure what you are on about there...

A sand box game is a game where you have choice and freedom.



The problem is that some "elite pvp-ers" play MMORPG and they dont realize that and want that CCP fix how other players play or want to play the game.

Wake up ppl... this is MMORPG every one of EVE players understand and play EVE differently and what different things from EVE.

The main reason why ppl play MMORPG is because its SOCIAL COMPONENT.
So if you want spaceship simulator - this is not game for you.

Vote Issler Dainze for CSM7! http://community.eveonline.com/council/voting/Vote.asp?c=470 

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#2966 - 2012-02-16 15:01:14 UTC
World of Darkness is not cancelled according to recent interviews just still early stage severly scaled back while alot of thier resources are dirverted in eve.

Firing 20% of your own staff is quite easy if you rehire them in other positions. Such as the awsomeUI developer WoD and refired to help on eve UI instead, the one better known as punkturis.

overall I think ccp only lost about 5% people they cut out with no new positions elsewhere or couldnt come to aggreement to a new position.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

oldbutfeelingyoung
Perkone
Caldari State
#2967 - 2012-02-16 16:59:02 UTC
Wacktopia wrote:
Hikaru Kuroda wrote:
I think Incarna will not be fully deployed until WoD do first, because they're using the same code, engine, textures, models, etc. The best part of this, is that the development of the EVE team will benefit from the WoD team. It's for sure we will be getting a fully fitted Incarna sooner or later, but I am convinced that time has more to do with WoD than with EVE.

I also realized for several months that there are many clothes in Singularity which are ready for implementation in Tranquility. Why they're delaying it so much? Could this be because CCP are thinking a way to remove the NeX Store?

Oh, and still waiting the Team Avatar dev blog.


Didn't they junk WoD entirely?




No ,CCP only did tell what everybody on these Forums wanted to hear,they simply lied to save their company
i don,t blame them.
Maybe they had to fire some people (maybe the brains who came up with the NEX idea)
And not to mention ,Crubicle was made in 6 weeks according to CCP,still don,t believe them.
but i couldn,t blame them for that.
The EVE community is a bit scared ,when there is a little change
Same with WIS ,what happens when there is some gameplay into that ,will it affect EVE ?( i hope it does)
I think the ones who are trolling this thread are simply afraid of change.


R.S.I2014

Elanor Vega
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#2968 - 2012-02-16 18:30:43 UTC
Wacktopia wrote:
Hikaru Kuroda wrote:
I think Incarna will not be fully deployed until WoD do first, because they're using the same code, engine, textures, models, etc. The best part of this, is that the development of the EVE team will benefit from the WoD team. It's for sure we will be getting a fully fitted Incarna sooner or later, but I am convinced that time has more to do with WoD than with EVE.

I also realized for several months that there are many clothes in Singularity which are ready for implementation in Tranquility. Why they're delaying it so much? Could this be because CCP are thinking a way to remove the NeX Store?

Oh, and still waiting the Team Avatar dev blog.


Didn't they junk WoD entirely?


No way!

EVE realy needs WoD tech and WiS!
CCP Punkturis
C C P
C C P Alliance
#2969 - 2012-02-16 18:35:07 UTC
Nova Fox wrote:


Firing 20% of your own staff is quite easy if you rehire them in other positions. Such as the awsomeUI developer WoD and refired to help on eve UI instead, the one better known as punkturis.


I don't know where you got this but I've never worked on WoD.. for those 2,5 years I've worked for CCP i've only been working on EVE UI.

I <3 EVE

♥ EVE Brogrammer ♥ Team Five 0 ♥ @CCP_Punkturis

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#2970 - 2012-02-16 19:03:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Fury
Elanor Vega wrote:
Wacktopia wrote:
Hikaru Kuroda wrote:
I think Incarna will not be fully deployed until WoD do first, because they're using the same code, engine, textures, models, etc. The best part of this, is that the development of the EVE team will benefit from the WoD team. It's for sure we will be getting a fully fitted Incarna sooner or later, but I am convinced that time has more to do with WoD than with EVE.

I also realized for several months that there are many clothes in Singularity which are ready for implementation in Tranquility. Why they're delaying it so much? Could this be because CCP are thinking a way to remove the NeX Store?

Oh, and still waiting the Team Avatar dev blog.


Didn't they junk WoD entirely?


No way!

EVE realy needs WoD tech and WiS!


There is no WoD tech, it was built using Carbon which was built for EVE first so other games could be *derived* from it.

Edit: Glad to see CCP Punky stick her head in here and dispel yet another myth.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#2971 - 2012-02-16 19:05:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Nova Fox
hmm my mind getting muddy these days :{ that would explain why i was trying to push linux commands on dos.

Hmm Ill go look around to see which developer it acutall was though that I do remember.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Issler Dainze
Tadakastu-Obata Corporation
The Honda Accord
#2972 - 2012-02-16 19:17:43 UTC
Taiwanistan wrote:


You seem to be spending a lot of time taunting me and decrying my CSM efforts.

My theory about folks not playing Eve because of not being able to leave their ships in any meaningful way is based on actual facts. A big piece of my job for a large software company here in the PACNW was in the PC gaming world. If you are at all clever with "the google" you can likely figure out a little more about that. So as a result I have exposure to a large number of gamers. Many that have played Eve, few that remain. One of the reasons all that left Eve cited was that they wanted to have an avatar experience. That other games gave them an experience they felt they could more related to.

I also have encountered a very large number of players in Eve and most of the folks I've interacted with expressed a desire to see ambulation in Eve. I think this thread makes a strong case for that as well.

So am pretty confident that my DIRECT experiences and observations make my theory about how important ambulation is to expanding the Eve player base more relevant the the what goes on in your noggin.

Issler
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#2973 - 2012-02-16 19:22:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Fury
Issler Dainze wrote:
Taiwanistan wrote:



My theory about folks not playing Eve because of not being able to leave their ships in any meaningful way is based on actual facts.


Citation needed. Please show us these "facts" you claim to be in possession of.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Hikaru Kuroda
Extheria
#2974 - 2012-02-16 19:32:05 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
Elanor Vega wrote:
Wacktopia wrote:
Hikaru Kuroda wrote:
I think Incarna will not be fully deployed until WoD do first, because they're using the same code, engine, textures, models, etc. The best part of this, is that the development of the EVE team will benefit from the WoD team. It's for sure we will be getting a fully fitted Incarna sooner or later, but I am convinced that time has more to do with WoD than with EVE.

I also realized for several months that there are many clothes in Singularity which are ready for implementation in Tranquility. Why they're delaying it so much? Could this be because CCP are thinking a way to remove the NeX Store?

Oh, and still waiting the Team Avatar dev blog.


Didn't they junk WoD entirely?


No way!

EVE realy needs WoD tech and WiS!


There is no WoD tech, it was built using Carbon which was built for EVE first so other games could be *derived* from it.


I thought EVE Online was built on Trinity engine for spaceships gameplay, and when they planned to create WoD, they decided to use the same engine (Carbon) for the two games.

Note that they started to work officially with Incarna at the end of 2010, while for WoD they started from 2009 onwards. I think that EVE has received something of the nearly two years of development effort in WoD, and not the other way.
Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#2975 - 2012-02-16 19:38:14 UTC
WoD engine I think is inhouse using various other engines available. Similar to how frost bite from EA is using enligthen engine that is used in our captains quaters.

Carbon was a technology thoery I thought by making all things alike you can make every game that you build off of it barrow each other's advances.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#2976 - 2012-02-16 19:39:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Fury
Hikaru Kuroda wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
Elanor Vega wrote:
Wacktopia wrote:
Hikaru Kuroda wrote:
I think Incarna will not be fully deployed until WoD do first, because they're using the same code, engine, textures, models, etc. The best part of this, is that the development of the EVE team will benefit from the WoD team. It's for sure we will be getting a fully fitted Incarna sooner or later, but I am convinced that time has more to do with WoD than with EVE.

I also realized for several months that there are many clothes in Singularity which are ready for implementation in Tranquility. Why they're delaying it so much? Could this be because CCP are thinking a way to remove the NeX Store?

Oh, and still waiting the Team Avatar dev blog.


Didn't they junk WoD entirely?


No way!

EVE realy needs WoD tech and WiS!


There is no WoD tech, it was built using Carbon which was built for EVE first so other games could be *derived* from it.


I thought EVE Online was built on Trinity engine for spaceships gameplay, and when they planned to create WoD, they decided to use the same engine (Carbon) for the two games.

Note that they started to work officially with Incarna at the end of 2010, while for WoD they started from 2009 onwards. I think that EVE has received something of the nearly two years of development effort in WoD, and not the other way.


Nope:

http://www.ccpgames.com/en/company/technology

and:

http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=788

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Issler Dainze
Tadakastu-Obata Corporation
The Honda Accord
#2977 - 2012-02-16 20:09:41 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
Issler Dainze wrote:
Taiwanistan wrote:



My theory about folks not playing Eve because of not being able to leave their ships in any meaningful way is based on actual facts.


Citation needed. Please show us these "facts" you claim to be in possession of.


My first hand real life experience and the support in this thread. No citation needed.

How about for once one of you fail puppy ambulation detractors show your evidence that folks haven't chosen to leave Eve because they couldn't have an avatar experience. Or better yet explain why so many other MMO games have higher subscription levels? Is it because folks don't like space? Not easy to prove given the popularity of franchises like Star Trek and Star Wars.

So how about you prove your point for a change because all you ever offer is "is not!!!" while stomping your feet.

Issler
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#2978 - 2012-02-16 20:16:24 UTC
Issler Dainze wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
Issler Dainze wrote:
Taiwanistan wrote:



My theory about folks not playing Eve because of not being able to leave their ships in any meaningful way is based on actual facts.


Citation needed. Please show us these "facts" you claim to be in possession of.


My first hand real life experience and the support in this thread. No citation needed.

How about for once one of you fail puppy ambulation detractors show your evidence that folks haven't chosen to leave Eve because they couldn't have an avatar experience. Or better yet explain why so many other MMO games have higher subscription levels? Is it because folks don't like space? Not easy to prove given the popularity of franchises like Star Trek and Star Wars.

So how about you prove your point for a change because all you ever offer is "is not!!!" while stomping your feet.

Issler



I did not assert anything, you did. I simply asked for your evidence. I don't have anything to prove because I did not make a baseless assertion under the guise of "facts" like you just did.

Your "first hand real life experience" is not facts. You said you had "actual facts". I'd like to see these otherwise you are just making stuff up and trying to evade that you don't have any facts you can back up with evidence.





There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#2979 - 2012-02-16 20:25:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Nova Fox
I wouldnt say a myth just bad memory though those do have a bad habit of turning into myths. I know alot just things have a bad habbit of bleeding into each other. I am the most horrible person with names espeically if I don't see them every day.

CCP did state they where trying to find new positions within its own and partner companies they know for most of thier removed reduced and reorganized staff that is quite confirmable in the original apology letters the annoucment. Inter-company resourcing is generally a good option for restructuring why hire an entirely new guy when you can get a guy that knows the policies and how things work.

I read one ccp developer who name I clearly been shown unable to remember who was from the WoD team and was asked to help out in eve while WoD was backburnered and if i remember right either the dev or the avatar was female, punkturis was the first one I can remember, and I dont think it was ccp alice as she's webteam.

Either way browsing though the time frame when I possibly might have read the comments (though I am beginning to think it was a dev on one of the videos now) and finding out how busy ccp actually was everywhere back then with hundreds of posts all over the place addressing player concerns jotting down feed back and all sorts of back and forth and a few trollings.

I can WoD has about 50 folks working on it which I could call a healthy number of developers for early game meant to be mmo eventually. this would be sourced from recent interviews with the new director of advertisment.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Issler Dainze
Tadakastu-Obata Corporation
The Honda Accord
#2980 - 2012-02-16 20:37:44 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
Issler Dainze wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:
Issler Dainze wrote:
Taiwanistan wrote:



My theory about folks not playing Eve because of not being able to leave their ships in any meaningful way is based on actual facts.


Citation needed. Please show us these "facts" you claim to be in possession of.


My first hand real life experience and the support in this thread. No citation needed.

How about for once one of you fail puppy ambulation detractors show your evidence that folks haven't chosen to leave Eve because they couldn't have an avatar experience. Or better yet explain why so many other MMO games have higher subscription levels? Is it because folks don't like space? Not easy to prove given the popularity of franchises like Star Trek and Star Wars.

So how about you prove your point for a change because all you ever offer is "is not!!!" while stomping your feet.

Issler



I did not assert anything, you did. I simply asked for your evidence. I don't have anything to prove because I did not make a baseless assertion under the guise of "facts" like you just did.

Your "first hand real life experience" is not facts. You said you had "actual facts". I'd like to see these otherwise you are just making stuff up and trying to evade that you don't have any facts you can back up with evidence.







My real life experiences most definitely are "facts". You can choose to claim I'm lying but I'd ask you for your proof that I am.

All of my team played Eve as part of our ongoing testing of current games against our unreleased technologies. The majority of our team could be described as serious gamers. They all play MMOs actively. I was the only one on the team that continued to play Eve. Everyone else moved onto other games. The same for RL friends and family. This is a sample size of over 50 people.

In every case the lack of an avatar experience was one of the complaints about Eve.

So how about you offer an argument with more substance than "is not!!!!" because all you are doing is looking like yet another ambulation hater and bumping a thread that continues to bring attention to a feature you oppose.

Issler