These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Rigs, whose penalties are applied?

Author
hmskrecik
TransMine Group
Gluten Free Cartel
#1 - 2012-02-01 13:21:38 UTC  |  Edited by: hmskrecik
There's question that's bugging me for some time and I couldn't find answer to it in game: whose skills are being taken into account when rigs' drawbacks are calculated?

If there is a person, call him the Rigger, with good skills who rigs a ship. Ship becomes posession of another person, the User, with lower related skills. Now whose penalties rig-wise are applied when User flies given ship.

An example, to focus on:
Trimark Rig (-10% to speed, 10% of penalty removed per Armor Rigging skill)
Rigger has Armor Rigging at 5
User has Armor Rigging at 0.

Will User experience 10% speed drop or 5%?


Answer:

Rigging skills are being taken into account twice:

1. When rigging a ship, the skill of the Rigger determines whether a rig can be placed or not.

2. When using a ship:
- User's skill level may be inadequate for applying a rig in first place
- rig's benefit is always in full effect
- rig's penalty depends of User's skill, if User has skill at 0 the penalty is at full effect.

So in example above User will have full 10% speed drop.
Aamrr
#2 - 2012-02-01 13:24:41 UTC
The user's skills are applied. The speed will drop by a full 10% -- but at least he'll be able to use the ship.
hmskrecik
TransMine Group
Gluten Free Cartel
#3 - 2012-02-01 13:37:46 UTC
Thank you.
Freyya
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-02-01 19:34:49 UTC
It's pretty simple really, the ship user's skills are applied to all bonusses and penalties. With fitting rigs, only the skills of the fitter are taken into account at the moment of being equipped. With using rigs the skills of the user get applied.
hmskrecik
TransMine Group
Gluten Free Cartel
#5 - 2012-02-02 09:06:59 UTC
Freyya wrote:
It's pretty simple really, the ship user's skills are applied to all bonusses and penalties. With fitting rigs, only the skills of the fitter are taken into account at the moment of being equipped. With using rigs the skills of the user get applied.


Yes, it's simple when you know it already. I had my doubts because opposite situation also would be quite valid game mechanics: if rigger makes 'permanent' change to ship attributes it thus creates little profession of people having good rigging skills and doing it for others.

Anyway, thanks again for explanation.
Freyya
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2012-02-02 19:03:51 UTC
Well the profession you speak of does exist, be it in a very limited fashion. Usually in small corps etc. Where you might have 1 or 2 skilled people and some with isk but no skills. The stat of the ship is permanently changed with though, its just that the penalty isnt. I aggree it would be a nice mini proff. I just think the market for it would be rather limited next to the relative large competition which would limit the profitability of said proffession. Some itteration on rigging and skills would need to be done to change a specialisation path in certain rig areas or something. It holds merrit, just alot of working out how to make it an actual proff.
drdxie
#7 - 2012-02-02 19:11:28 UTC
So just for clarification as this has been bugging me for a long time. If someone rigs a BS with T2 cap rigs, and I fly it but don't have the skills to fit/use the T2 rig which recharge rate is applied? the 15% for the rig I can use or the 20% of the rig that is fitted.

Caldari Loving needed.. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1608277&#post1608277

Freyya
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-02-02 19:31:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Freyya
In all clarification purposes; rig skills are for fitting the type of rig allowed by skill level and the penalty applied. Of you fly a t2 rigged ship but actually cant fit t2 rigs you still get the t2 bonus. Just with the penalty of your rig skill.

Rigs skills are NOT taken into account in applying the bonus of any rig already fitted to the ship before you enter it.
drdxie
#9 - 2012-02-02 19:43:17 UTC
Freyya wrote:
In all clarification purposes; rig skills are for fitting the type of rig allowed by skill level and the penalty applied. Of you fly a t2 rigged ship but actually cant fit t2 rigs you still get the t2 bonus. Just with the penalty of your rig skill.

Rigs skills are NOT taken into account in applying the bonus of any rig already fitted to the ship before you enter it.

Great Thanks

Caldari Loving needed.. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1608277&#post1608277

Fronkfurter McSheebleton
Horse Feathers
CAStabouts
#10 - 2012-02-02 19:58:19 UTC
drdxie wrote:
So just for clarification as this has been bugging me for a long time. If someone rigs a BS with T2 cap rigs, and I fly it but don't have the skills to fit/use the T2 rig which recharge rate is applied? the 15% for the rig I can use or the 20% of the rig that is fitted.

it goes by the one you have fitted....

thhief ghabmoef

hmskrecik
TransMine Group
Gluten Free Cartel
#11 - 2012-02-03 09:20:20 UTC
So to wrap it up, rigging skills are taken into account twice:

1. When rigging a ship, the skill of the Rigger determines whether a rig can be placed.

2. When using a ship:
- User's skill level may be inadequate for applying a rig in first place
- rig's benefit is always in full effect
- rig's penalty depends of User's skill, if User has skill at 0 the penalty is at full effect.

If there's still something wrong or missing please correct me.
Freyya
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-02-03 09:30:31 UTC
100% correct.
hmskrecik
TransMine Group
Gluten Free Cartel
#13 - 2012-02-03 09:38:37 UTC
Updating OP then, for future reference.