These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Petition to address AFK cloaky camping.

First post
Author
Kadeera
Dramatic.Exit
Rainbow Knights
#1 - 2017-06-07 20:26:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Kadeera
Currently cloaky camping benefits the player without client interaction, much like botting. Yet unlike botting it is much easier for CCP to address this broken mechanic. The irony is that the same people that complain about botting, defend cloaky campers because the politics of carebears vs. PVP. They like to interfere with mining and ratting, AKA "krabbing", otherwise known as playing the game how it is designed. If someone logging in, activating a module and then not interacting with his client for hours stops krabbing then they support it. If someone logging in, activates a bot and then doesn't interact with their client for hours they despise it.

Perhaps there is no better example of the abuse and exploitation of this mechanic than this example right here.

I would propose a simple 1 hour cycle time to cloaking modules so that client interaction is required by the player. After an hour the module starts a recalibration timer of 60 seconds. If the user reactivates it during recalibration he stays cloaked, if not then he uncloaks. This way you can cloaky camp all day as long as you interact with your client at least once every hour.
Frostys Virpio
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2017-06-07 20:31:03 UTC
Kadeera
Dramatic.Exit
Rainbow Knights
#3 - 2017-06-07 20:34:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Kadeera
Frostys Virpio wrote:
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=397030&find=unread



Lame
Frostys Virpio
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#4 - 2017-06-07 20:35:12 UTC
Kadeera wrote:
Lame


So is your OP.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2017-06-07 20:38:25 UTC
Show me one killmail from the entire history of the game where a cloaked afk ship has ever killed anything.

Just one.

I'll wait.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2017-06-07 20:49:17 UTC
The player has both given you a way to deal with him, also given you evidence that he is truly AFK.
What's the problem.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Old Pervert
Perkone
Caldari State
#7 - 2017-06-07 20:49:30 UTC
Inb4 locked due to shameless redundancy with an existing STICKY thread.

Learn to read.
Frostys Virpio
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2017-06-07 20:51:08 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
Show me one killmail from the entire history of the game where a cloaked afk ship has ever killed anything.

Just one.

I'll wait.


It probably technically could exist from back in the days of mines but even then it would not prove anything because there is no way to know if a ship was cloaked when a killmail is created.
Kassimila
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2017-06-07 21:22:59 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
Show me one killmail from the entire history of the game where a cloaked afk ship has ever killed anything.

Just one.

I'll wait.


You're so disingenuous it's hilarious. Stop pretending it does nothing when you know that's not the case. That is in fact why players spend billions on plexes (theoretically) just to do it. If you really want though I can jump in a sabre, lock someone shoot them once, bubble, cloak , and go afk for a soda while my friends kill them. BAM afk cloaky KM.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2017-06-07 21:31:50 UTC
Kassimila wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
Show me one killmail from the entire history of the game where a cloaked afk ship has ever killed anything.

Just one.

I'll wait.


You're so disingenuous it's hilarious. Stop pretending it does nothing when you know that's not the case. That is in fact why players spend billions on plexes (theoretically) just to do it. If you really want though I can jump in a sabre, lock someone shoot them once, bubble, cloak , and go afk for a soda while my friends kill them. BAM afk cloaky KM.


Maybe you should stop pretending the empty chair is doing anything other than scaring you, and that if your group allows itself to be defeated by said empty chair then it doesn't deserve to hold space? (Or exist, in all honesty?)
Old Pervert
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2017-06-07 21:31:56 UTC
Kassimila wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
Show me one killmail from the entire history of the game where a cloaked afk ship has ever killed anything.

Just one.

I'll wait.


You're so disingenuous it's hilarious. Stop pretending it does nothing when you know that's not the case. That is in fact why players spend billions on plexes (theoretically) just to do it. If you really want though I can jump in a sabre, lock someone shoot them once, bubble, cloak , and go afk for a soda while my friends kill them. BAM afk cloaky KM.


The flaw behind your argument is you weren't afk.

You were at the keyboard participating, and THEN you went AFK. That's "AFK for part of it", not "AFK".
Kadeera
Dramatic.Exit
Rainbow Knights
#12 - 2017-06-07 21:35:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Kadeera
Danika Princip wrote:
Maybe you should stop pretending the empty chair is doing anything other than scaring you, and that if your group allows itself to be defeated by said empty chair then it doesn't deserve to hold space? (Or exist, in all honesty?)



Wow! Much tough! So leet!
Old Pervert
Perkone
Caldari State
#13 - 2017-06-07 21:42:28 UTC
Kadeera wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
Maybe you should stop pretending the empty chair is doing anything other than scaring you, and that if your group allows itself to be defeated by said empty chair then it doesn't deserve to hold space? (Or exist, in all honesty?)



Wow! Much tough! So leet!

He's not the one crying about an empty chair.

If it bothers you, keep a standing fleet at the ready. Cloaky campers don't generally drop capitals, they drop blops. Blops in a sustained fight will lose against an even remotely comparable force.
AFK Cloaker
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2017-06-07 22:27:07 UTC
.
ISD Max Trix
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#15 - 2017-06-07 22:28:14 UTC
Military Experts are calling this a redundant thread.

Please keep all AFK Cloaking threads in its designated thread.

ISD Max Trix

Lieutenant

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to EVE mails about forum moderation.