These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Exploration Screeching Sound

First post
Author
K'uata Sayus
Ghengis Tia Corp
#1 - 2017-03-30 19:10:11 UTC
Whenever I open my solar system map for exploration there is a maddening intermittent screeching sound above my left ear (I use headphones).

For the love of sanity CCP, explorers spend hours focusing and attempting to scan down objects and sites, this noise is enough to make me junk the new system and go back to the old one.

Who in their right mind thought this was an improvement??!? Please rid us of this annoyance ASAP.

Yang Aurilen
The Mjolnir Bloc
Templis CALSF
#2 - 2017-03-30 19:28:53 UTC
GONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGggggggggg.........

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

CCP Darwin
C C P
C C P Alliance
#3 - 2017-03-30 19:38:53 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Darwin
K'uata Sayus wrote:
Whenever I open my solar system map for exploration there is a maddening intermittent screeching sound above my left ear (I use headphones).


This is possibly one of two issues, either a corrupted sound file or electrical interference with your audio output.

The first you can check by opening the Eve launcher, choosing "Shared Cache..." from the menu, and clicking "Verify."

The second is only likely if you're plugging analog headphones directly into an audio jack on the motherboard or an audio card. If you can borrow USB headphones and open up the map, if the problem does not occur then it's likely an electrical interference problem. How best to solve this short of switching to a digital audio interface is a little bit beyond my expertise.

Edit: If you have some really unusual volume or equalization settings, it's possible the UI sound may be clipping. I'd try turning down your volume a bit, and also making sure that your audio devices are not turned up to maximum in the Windows Volume Mixer window.

CCP Darwin  •  Senior Software Engineer, Art & Graphics, EVE Online  •  @mark_wilkins

mkint
#4 - 2017-03-30 19:48:05 UTC
Have you checked your house for banshees? Have you checked your prescription for contamination?

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Expendable Unit
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#5 - 2017-03-30 19:56:29 UTC
K'uata Sayus wrote:
Whenever I open my solar system map for exploration there is a maddening intermittent screeching sound above my left ear (I use headphones).

For the love of sanity CCP, explorers spend hours focusing and attempting to scan down objects and sites, this noise is enough to make me junk the new system and go back to the old one.

Who in their right mind thought this was an improvement??!? Please rid us of this annoyance ASAP.



No worries, soon you will hear the sound of your ship explode while scanning.
Mortlake
Somalian Coast Guard Authority
#6 - 2017-03-30 21:13:45 UTC
I used to get this whilst playing. Then I got a divorce. Sorted.

Sometimes you hit the bar and sometimes the bar hits you...

Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#7 - 2017-03-30 21:32:46 UTC
Mortlake wrote:
I used to get this whilst playing. Then I got a divorce. Sorted.

You did manage to salvage the Fedos from the wreckage I hope.

Remove standings and insurance.

K'uata Sayus
Ghengis Tia Corp
#8 - 2017-03-31 01:50:46 UTC
Expendable Unit wrote:
K'uata Sayus wrote:
Whenever I open my solar system map for exploration there is a maddening intermittent screeching sound above my left ear (I use headphones).

For the love of sanity CCP, explorers spend hours focusing and attempting to scan down objects and sites, this noise is enough to make me junk the new system and go back to the old one.

Who in their right mind thought this was an improvement??!? Please rid us of this annoyance ASAP.



No worries, soon you will hear the sound of your ship explode while scanning.



Just lost a ship while hacking, so you're not far off. I'll go through the dev suggestions, and proceed to the other useful solutions above. Thanks all for the input.....
K'uata Sayus
Ghengis Tia Corp
#9 - 2017-03-31 04:21:08 UTC
So I checked the cache, nothing untoward there. Checked all the connections, my earphones are plugged in to the front of my PC.

Changed back to "old" scanning system, to find some antique version that was definitely not the one just replaced. No problem with the sounds.

Went back to new system, the sound of a screeching bird or loon in the background still exists. I am convinced this is an intentional placement of background clutter.

Can anyone verify this phenomenon?
Salvos Rhoska
#10 - 2017-03-31 07:39:03 UTC
Give option to turn off probe sounds please.

Its like the probes are gurgling a huge space bong in my hold every time I move them.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#11 - 2017-03-31 09:12:48 UTC
K'uata Sayus wrote:
So I checked the cache, nothing untoward there. Checked all the connections, my earphones are plugged in to the front of my PC.

Changed back to "old" scanning system, to find some antique version that was definitely not the one just replaced. No problem with the sounds.

Went back to new system, the sound of a screeching bird or loon in the background still exists. I am convinced this is an intentional placement of background clutter.

Can anyone verify this phenomenon?

There is background noise in the scaning window. Its really quiet in my scanning window. But I have most sounds other than Aura Voice set at really low volume.
Nicola Romanoff
United Stellar Federation
The Rogue University
#12 - 2017-03-31 09:21:45 UTC
EvE has sound? Lol
K'uata Sayus
Ghengis Tia Corp
#13 - 2017-03-31 12:55:21 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
K'uata Sayus wrote:
So I checked the cache, nothing untoward there. Checked all the connections, my earphones are plugged in to the front of my PC.

Changed back to "old" scanning system, to find some antique version that was definitely not the one just replaced. No problem with the sounds.

Went back to new system, the sound of a screeching bird or loon in the background still exists. I am convinced this is an intentional placement of background clutter.

Can anyone verify this phenomenon?

There is background noise in the scaning window. Its really quiet in my scanning window. But I have most sounds other than Aura Voice set at really low volume.



Turning down the sound defeats the purpose of immersing one's self in the game.

I posit that CCP audio engineers are placing these annoying sounds, (like the one that sounds like a car starting up again and again), either for their amusement or a sophomoric attempt to provide background junk. In the advanced future Eve exists in, there would be a simple filtering process to negate these type of sounds.

I'll submit a bug report, but I'm beginning to be resigned to the fact that players are at the mercy of bored Icelanders "attempting" to enhance the background ambience.
Nicolai Serkanner
Incredible.
Brave Collective
#14 - 2017-03-31 19:09:21 UTC
K'uata Sayus wrote:


I'll submit a bug report, but I'm beginning to be resigned to the fact that players are at the mercy of bored Icelanders "attempting" to enhance the background ambience.


You are right. Time to bio-mass. Roll
Buoytender Bob
Ronin Exploration Mission and Mining
#15 - 2017-03-31 21:38:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Buoytender Bob
K'uata Sayus wrote:


Went back to new system, the sound of a screeching bird or loon in the background still exists.

Can anyone verify this phenomenon?




You sure that's not CCP Seagull or CCP Falcon worried about Fanfest issues?

To buck the popular trend, I began to Rage Start instead of Rage Quit.

...and every time I get another piece of Carbon, I know exactly what CCP is getting this Christmas.

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#16 - 2017-03-31 21:48:47 UTC
K'uata Sayus
Ghengis Tia Corp
#17 - 2017-04-02 20:12:06 UTC
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I'll quit Eve, just watch for my hangar clearance and 1m Gecko sale on trade hub local.......
Deadmeat Zukalick
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2017-04-03 02:40:34 UTC
K'uata Sayus wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I'll quit Eve, just watch for my hangar clearance and 1m Gecko sale on trade hub local.......


Whoa there! your forgot to check the other possibility the dev mentioned, EM interference. Your description of the sound your hear make me think your experiencing rotor whine(EM interference from your video card). I had this problem with eve and a bunch of other games(In the space engineers menu it was so bad I could literally hear the pitch change every time I moved the mouse).

The best way to test this is to try recording the sound in Fraps or othe capture software(or even sound recorder if you know how to set it up). If it is EM interference you should not hear the sound in the recording(At least I think so).

Behold the horror that is my sense of humour

Neuntausend
Rens Nursing Home
#19 - 2017-04-03 02:53:45 UTC
If you plug in your headphones to the front panel jack, interference is quite likely - try plugging them into the back.