These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

EVE Online on gameranx

Author
Mark O'Helm
Fam. Zimin von Reizgenschwendt
#1 - 2017-03-24 23:39:42 UTC
10 facts you maybe did not know. https://youtu.be/Shhhn6lu0Nc

Number 4 confuses me a bit. Can anybody explain that for me?

"Frauenversteher wissen, was Frauen wollen. Aber Frauen wollen keine Frauenversteher. Weil Frauenversteher wissen, was Frauen wollen." (Ein Single)

"Wirklich coolen Leuten ist es egal, ob sie cool sind." (Einer, dem es egal ist)

Revis Owen
Krigmakt Elite
Safety.
#2 - 2017-03-24 23:57:36 UTC
Mark O'Helm wrote:
Number 4 confuses me a bit. Can anybody explain that for me?


What part of it are confused about? Random seeding or the particular number 42 the seed was set to and its reference to H^2GT^2G?

Agent of the New Order http://www.minerbumping.com/p/the-code.html If you do not have a current Mining Permit, please contact me for issuance.

Mark O'Helm
Fam. Zimin von Reizgenschwendt
#3 - 2017-03-25 00:18:19 UTC
Revis Owen wrote:
Mark O'Helm wrote:
Number 4 confuses me a bit. Can anybody explain that for me?


What part of it are confused about? Random seeding or the particular number 42 the seed was set to and its reference to H^2GT^2G?

Very funny. I know nothing about programming. Can explain it a bit more?

"Frauenversteher wissen, was Frauen wollen. Aber Frauen wollen keine Frauenversteher. Weil Frauenversteher wissen, was Frauen wollen." (Ein Single)

"Wirklich coolen Leuten ist es egal, ob sie cool sind." (Einer, dem es egal ist)

Bjorn Tyrson
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2017-03-25 00:22:32 UTC
hitchikers guide to the galaxy. if you have never read it you should.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#5 - 2017-03-25 00:26:01 UTC
... that thumbnail
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#6 - 2017-03-25 00:28:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Mark O'Helm wrote:
Revis Owen wrote:
Mark O'Helm wrote:
Number 4 confuses me a bit. Can anybody explain that for me?


What part of it are confused about? Random seeding or the particular number 42 the seed was set to and its reference to H^2GT^2G?

Very funny. I know nothing about programming. Can explain it a bit more?

You should read this
Gwenaelle de Ardevon
Ardevon Corporation
#7 - 2017-03-25 00:35:09 UTC
… “O Deep Thought computer," he said, "the task we have designed you to perform is this. We want you to tell us...." he paused, "The Answer."
"The Answer?" said Deep Thought. "The Answer to what?"
"Life!" urged Fook.
"The Universe!" said Lunkwill.
"Everything!" they said in chorus.
Deep Thought paused for a moment's reflection.
"Tricky," he said finally.
"But can you do it?"
Again, a significant pause.
"Yes," said Deep Thought, "I can do it."
"There is an answer?" said Fook with breathless excitement.
"Yes," said Deep Thought. "Life, the Universe, and Everything. There is an answer. But, I'll have to think about it."
Fook glanced impatiently at his watch.
“How long?” he said.
“Seven and a half million years,” said Deep Thought.
Lunkwill and Fook blinked at each other.
“Seven and a half million years...!” they cried in chorus.
“Yes,” declaimed Deep Thought, “I said I’d have to think about it, didn’t I?"
[Seven and a half million years later.... Fook and Lunkwill are long gone, but their ancestors continue what they started]
"We are the ones who will hear," said Phouchg, "the answer to the great question of Life....!"
"The Universe...!" said Loonquawl.
"And Everything...!"
"Shhh," said Loonquawl with a slight gesture. "I think Deep Thought is preparing to speak!"
There was a moment's expectant pause while panels slowly came to life on the front of the console. Lights flashed on and off experimentally and settled down into a businesslike pattern. A soft low hum came from the communication channel.
"Good Morning," said Deep Thought at last.
"Er..good morning, O Deep Thought" said Loonquawl nervously, "do you have...er, that is..."
"An Answer for you?" interrupted Deep Thought majestically. "Yes, I have."
The two men shivered with expectancy. Their waiting had not been in vain.
"There really is one?" breathed Phouchg.
"There really is one," confirmed Deep Thought.
"To Everything? To the great Question of Life, the Universe and everything?"
"Yes."
Both of the men had been trained for this moment, their lives had been a preparation for it, they had been selected at birth as those who would witness the answer, but even so they found themselves gasping and squirming like excited children.
"And you're ready to give it to us?" urged Loonsuawl.
"I am."
"Now?"
"Now," said Deep Thought.
They both licked their dry lips.
"Though I don't think," added Deep Thought. "that you're going to like it."
"Doesn't matter!" said Phouchg. "We must know it! Now!"
"Now?" inquired Deep Thought.
"Yes! Now..."
"All right," said the computer, and settled into silence again. The two men fidgeted. The tension was unbearable.
"You're really not going to like it," observed Deep Thought.
"Tell us!"
"All right," said Deep Thought. "The Answer to the Great Question..."
"Yes..!"
"Of Life, the Universe and Everything..." said Deep Thought.
"Yes...!"
"Is..." said Deep Thought, and paused.
"Yes...!"
"Is..."
"Yes...!!!...?"
"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.”


Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

«An hour sitting with a pretty girl on a park bench passes like a minute, but a minute sitting on a hot stove seems like an hour». Albert Einstein - [11, S. 154]

More Quotes, Poetry & Prose on: https://gwenaelledeardevon.wordpress.com/

Mark O'Helm
Fam. Zimin von Reizgenschwendt
#8 - 2017-03-25 02:30:20 UTC
I have read all 5 bocks of the series and in less then 2 months i will reach the answer, but i still don't get how the number 42 was implemented as a vital part in the programming of EVE.

And what the heck does H^2GT^2G mean.

"Frauenversteher wissen, was Frauen wollen. Aber Frauen wollen keine Frauenversteher. Weil Frauenversteher wissen, was Frauen wollen." (Ein Single)

"Wirklich coolen Leuten ist es egal, ob sie cool sind." (Einer, dem es egal ist)

Sitting Bull Lakota
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#9 - 2017-03-25 02:56:57 UTC
Mark O'Helm wrote:

And what the heck does H^2GT^2G mean.
Heh
Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#10 - 2017-03-25 03:49:40 UTC
I saw that Video.

Scope has said they are not affiliated.
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#11 - 2017-03-25 07:12:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Mark O'Helm wrote:
Number 4 confuses me a bit. Can anybody explain that for me?

Computers are great at giving us the same answer to a question every time we ask them to do the same thing. They run in a very deterministic way based on their hardware and software.

However, often we want the appearance of randomness so that things aren't the same every time a program runs. This is the case with the design of New Eden.

When CCP created New Eden, including all gate connections, planets, moons, etc. they used an algorithm to generate what we have, they didn't do it all manually.

In order to ensure that the systems weren't all the same (eg. size, number of planets, gates, moons, etc.) the algorithms included random numbers to influence choices and values.

Computers generally can't create truly random numbers however, because they are still always just following a set of steps in a deterministic way.

So many programming languages, including Python, include functions to generate pseudo-random numbers that change the outcome and they use the system clock as a seed to generate the numbers from. Since time is always ticking, the numbers are always changing and they appear random, even though they aren't.

Instead of letting the language use the system clock as a seed (and there are other types of seeds), it's also possible to set the seed to a specific number.

That will actually allow you to create the exact same random numbers every time (hence, not truly random).

That has some advantages, even where you want variety in your design. By using a specific random seed, you can guarantee the same outcome from the program every single time.

See this image for an example:

https://puu.sh/uXJqZ/67a87cbfec.png

Every time a sequence of random integers is generated from 1 - 999 with no specific seed, a different sequence is generated.

However, when 42 is set as the seed, 655 is returned each time as the first number in the sequence. 115 will always be the second number in the sequence, etc. So a whole sequences of "random" numbers can be generated that will be exactly the same every time.

In using a specific seed, CCP could generate one of millions of possible versions of New Eden, but always be able to recreate that exact same version any time they need.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#12 - 2017-03-25 07:59:42 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Mark O'Helm wrote:
Number 4 confuses me a bit. Can anybody explain that for me?

Computers are great at giving us the same answer to a question every time we ask them to do the same thing. They run in a very deterministic way based on their hardware and software.

However, often we want the appearance of randomness so that things aren't the same every time a program runs. This is the case with the design of New Eden.

When CCP created New Eden, including all gate connections, planets, moons, etc. they used an algorithm to generate what we have, they didn't do it all manually.

In order to ensure that the systems weren't all the same (eg. size, number of planets, gates, moons, etc.) the algorithms included random numbers to influence choices and values.

Computers generally can't create truly random numbers however, because they are still always just following a set of steps in a deterministic way.

So many programming languages, including Python, include functions to generate pseudo-random numbers that change the outcome and they use the system clock as a seed to generate the numbers from. Since time is always ticking, the numbers are always changing and they appear random, even though they aren't.

Instead of letting the language use the system clock as a seed (and there are other types of seeds), it's also possible to set the seed to a specific number.

That will actually allow you to create the exact same random numbers every time (hence, not truly random).

That has some advantages, even where you want variety in your design. By using a specific random seed, you can guarantee the same outcome from the program every single time.

See this image for an example:

https://puu.sh/uXJqZ/67a87cbfec.png

Every time a sequence of random integers is generated from 1 - 999 with no specific seed, a different sequence is generated.

However, when 42 is set as the seed, 655 is returned each time as the first number in the sequence. 115 will always be the second number in the sequence, etc. So a whole sequences of "random" numbers can be generated that will be exactly the same every time.

In using a specific seed, CCP could generate one of millions of possible versions of New Eden, but always be able to recreate that exact same version any time they need.


Nerd.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Mark O'Helm
Fam. Zimin von Reizgenschwendt
#13 - 2017-03-25 09:16:43 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
A lot of explanation

Thanks a lot. That makes it easier for me to understand.

"Frauenversteher wissen, was Frauen wollen. Aber Frauen wollen keine Frauenversteher. Weil Frauenversteher wissen, was Frauen wollen." (Ein Single)

"Wirklich coolen Leuten ist es egal, ob sie cool sind." (Einer, dem es egal ist)

Jubilum
DUST Expeditionary Team
Good Sax
#14 - 2017-03-25 11:05:27 UTC
First time I have actually seen someone answer a question in these forums with out being an a**hole about it. Thank you sir.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#15 - 2017-03-25 18:02:52 UTC
Jubilum wrote:
First time I have actually seen someone answer a question in these forums with out being an a**hole about it. Thank you sir.


Scipio is rarely an a--hole in his answers.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Liafcipe9000
Critically Preposterous
#16 - 2017-03-26 10:36:04 UTC
he mistakes the CSM for a governing body. it would be correct to say that the CSM is a focus group for opinions regarding ideas for game features.
Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#17 - 2017-03-26 22:24:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Vortexo VonBrenner
Mark O'Helm wrote:
...
And what the heck does H^2GT^2G mean.

Hx2 + G +Tx2 + G
HHGTTG
Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy


Edit: Also...doesn't 42 represent " * " which can mean "anything" ?