These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

Add collision spheres for planets and moons at subwarp speed

Author
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM Defensive Initiative
#1 - 2016-12-30 11:15:52 UTC
Collision spheres for planets and moons at subwarp speed. Why isnt that a thing?
I think it should be a thing. How hard it would be? Why your ship can go thru them all the times when you are not in warp?
#Muhimmershun
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2016-12-30 11:48:12 UTC
And your immersion won't be just as broken when you bounce off a planet?
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM Defensive Initiative
#3 - 2016-12-30 12:01:58 UTC
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#4 - 2016-12-30 13:27:35 UTC
Because planets are larger than a single grid, even with the super expanded grids they have added. The largest planets I believe would require 125 grids worth of size just to model the single collision sphere.
They might be able to work out some nice tech trick to get around that issue of course, but making a neat tech trick takes more Dev time than simply using an existing solution.
Cade Windstalker
#5 - 2016-12-30 13:53:54 UTC
Pretty sure Nevyn has hit the nail on the head with this one.

To that I would add that it would be very very easy to attempt to warp inside a planet and then bounce off, flying a ridiculous distance away and being able to use that to safely log off or perform other tricks to avoid combat or getting caught, which wouldn't be great for the game or your immersion.
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#6 - 2016-12-30 14:08:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Donnachadh
If you want immersion then your idea is still useless because in real life your ship would not simply bounce off. In real life you have to maintain an orbit at a specific speed depending on distance from the planet or your ship is pulled into the gravity well which would pull you closer and closer to the surface ultimately ending in a crash with the surface where your ship and pod explode into a big fire ball, provided of course they survived the intense heat of an uncontrolled re-entry. This could very easily be handle in game by simply telling you that your ship was caught in the gravity well of the moon / planet and then exploding your ship and pod after giving you as few moments to try and warp off, which based on a random thing may or may not work.

In the end this is a game and our ships do not interact with planets in a way that is even close to reality, so I say why waste the time and effort with your idea. Instead I propose that you simply pretend that planets and moons are solid and that you cannot fly through them and then do not ever fly through them again.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM Defensive Initiative
#7 - 2016-12-30 21:31:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Because planets are larger than a single grid, even with the super expanded grids they have added. The largest planets I believe would require 125 grids worth of size just to model the single collision sphere.
They might be able to work out some nice tech trick to get around that issue of course, but making a neat tech trick takes more Dev time than simply using an existing solution.

Hmm, I havent thought about it earlier. Probably just there isnt such thing because it isnt feasible like return to a character select screen. Too much rewriting to just have a few bouncy spheres. Things like warping inside planets would have to be adressed too with placing a warp exit point always around the planet, not inside.
Iain Cariaba
#8 - 2016-12-30 22:07:12 UTC
Nana Skalski wrote:
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Because planets are larger than a single grid, even with the super expanded grids they have added. The largest planets I believe would require 125 grids worth of size just to model the single collision sphere.
They might be able to work out some nice tech trick to get around that issue of course, but making a neat tech trick takes more Dev time than simply using an existing solution.

Hmm, I havent thought about it earlier. Probably just there isnt such thing because it isnt feasible like return to a character select screen. Too much rewriting to just have a few bouncy spheres. Things like warping inside planets would have to be adressed too with placing a warp exit point always around the planet, not inside.

The warp exit point for a planet has always been outside the planet. If you're warping to a planet and landing inside it, that's a bug and should be reported.

Warp drive lore leads to the ship being removed slightly from the current dimension, creating the tunnel like effect you see that allows you to warp though matter.

Other than that, the only way to actually fly into a planet or moon is to slow burn from the warp in to the planet. Stop doing that, and you won't be flying into planets again.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2017-01-01 19:32:23 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:
Things like warping inside planets would have to be adressed too with placing a warp exit point always around the planet, not inside.

The warp exit point for a planet has always been outside the planet. If you're warping to a planet and landing inside it, that's a bug and should be reported.

I think Nana Skalski is referring to existing bookmarks inside of planets. To that I say, no problem allowing ships to warp to them. They would simply bounce out at high speed which would be hilarious.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Rain6637
Simulacra and Simulation
Dracarys.
#10 - 2017-01-01 20:45:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
Actually for my immersion I would prefer to fly through some type of atmosphere (or no atmosphere) toward a proper surface where I can land.

As for not being allowed to warp into a planet, we have a mechanic already where the server checks your landing coordinates and makes sure you're not in a spherical object (called a warp disruption bubble). It's shaped just like most planets omg!

Make planets act like bubbles and call it a gravity well issue or something. Now they have some presence in the player's mind instead of being shiny christmas ornaments.
Rain6637
Simulacra and Simulation
Dracarys.
#11 - 2017-01-01 20:49:20 UTC
I'm annoyed because I agree with the suggestion and we're asking for this in TYOOL 2016 for the sake of immersion. "Hey guys can we maybe make the planets more real somehow, at least where we can't fly straight through them tia"
Rain6637
Simulacra and Simulation
Dracarys.
#12 - 2017-01-01 20:58:02 UTC
Andlaust
#13 - 2017-01-01 23:44:40 UTC
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Nana Skalski wrote:
Things like warping inside planets would have to be adressed too with placing a warp exit point always around the planet, not inside.

The warp exit point for a planet has always been outside the planet. If you're warping to a planet and landing inside it, that's a bug and should be reported.

I think Nana Skalski is referring to existing bookmarks inside of planets. To that I say, no problem allowing ships to warp to them. They would simply bounce out at high speed which would be hilarious.

We used to do that with suns. Then we had people abusing them to make safes so far out that it was pretty much impossible to probe them down.

Be better just to have the system check to see if you're landing inside a celestial object, and explode you when you land.

Have you seen my soul?

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#14 - 2017-01-02 00:14:14 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
Actually for my immersion I would prefer to fly through some type of atmosphere (or no atmosphere) toward a proper surface where I can land.

As for not being allowed to warp into a planet, we have a mechanic already where the server checks your landing coordinates and makes sure you're not in a spherical object (called a warp disruption bubble). It's shaped just like most planets omg!

Make planets act like bubbles and call it a gravity well issue or something. Now they have some presence in the player's mind instead of being shiny christmas ornaments.

Our ships are not capable of safe atmospheric flight. The plating of which they are made has a small habit of burning in an atmosphere from chemical reactions, and well, have you seen the aerodynamics of our ships, Air resistance would tear them apart.
Rain6637
Simulacra and Simulation
Dracarys.
#15 - 2017-01-02 02:40:47 UTC
Returning through the atmosphere from orbit is a lot faster than terminal velocity, but our ships would probably have a controlled descent under power and not experience those problems anyway.
Shu t'Me
#16 - 2017-01-02 03:57:39 UTC
Rain6637 wrote:
Returning through the atmosphere from orbit is a lot faster than terminal velocity, but our ships would probably have a controlled descent under power and not experience those problems anyway.

And shielding.

If we can withstand the head of an antimatter explosion to our shields, we should be able to mitigate friction heat.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#17 - 2017-01-02 04:07:58 UTC
It's nothing to do with friction heat. It's a CHEMICAL reaction. Go and read the lore, Tritanium combusts with oxygen, alloys aren't so bad but slowly burn. Our ships are designed for space only.
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
EDENCOM Defensive Initiative
#18 - 2017-01-02 09:01:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Nana Skalski
One time I had this thread where I wanted to have landing on planets, but in a form of jumping into a spot on surface, by jump generator on the orbit, ship would appear in the base of some sorts. This was only to dock on surface. This way we would had planetary landings without gravity physics implemented and without any delays.

About the ships combusting, why was there planetary flight demo on one fasfest then? Planet had no oxygen? Composition of atmosphere? Blink
I have seen more technical details retconned in history of gaming. Lets pretend some new research happened and now they use alloys that dont combust when touching oxygen atoms? Some groundbreaking thing would have to be added to a game, like maybe PI remake to justify that. But everyone, well mostly everyone, accepted the way PI is now.
Rain6637
Simulacra and Simulation
Dracarys.
#19 - 2017-01-02 09:17:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
I barely feel like playing the game why would I go and read the lore

here's an idea don't build spaceships out of materials that oxidize

hold up on second thought it is probably imperative that I understand EVE lore let me go do that real quick
Rain6637
Simulacra and Simulation
Dracarys.
#20 - 2017-01-02 09:24:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Rain6637
welp it's true I read the lore and it says we can't have planetary gameplay, clear as day. So much for that.

Lore isn't make-believe in response to the gameplay or anything.
123Next page