These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Things to do in 2 player Coop

Author
Wesley762
Excidium Corporation
#1 - 2016-12-13 11:55:34 UTC
Hello folks,

Im a oldtime player from about 2009.. and im drawing a blank.
A friend of mine peaked my intrest to return to eve to play together.
He is a brand new player and i got as far as flying a armageddon back then.

What are things we can do together ?
I heard mining is somewhat undoable these days and not alot of profit.
It will be mainly to teach him the game, and give me a refresh course.
I read something about faction warefare..
But he is intressted in manufracturing ships etc and setting up a POS in 0.5.

So any suggestions on where we can start ?
And is manufracturing/setting up a pos doable with 2 players ?

Its just been a long time and i would love to enjoy eve again :)
Just unsure where to start apart from missions.
Alasdan Helminthauge
AirHogs
Hogs Collective
#2 - 2016-12-13 12:19:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Alasdan Helminthauge
Sorry, no POS anymore, but we have enigeer complex now.

If you ca fly a battleship and he wants industry, you can do lv4 missions and let him loot/salvage behind to gather the materials.
Apanake maybe a good system. It's 0.5 system, has a lv4 SOE sec agent, and an EC in 3 jumps.
Lanngisi may be a better option, but I've never been there and dont know whether there's any EC nearby.
Wesley762
Excidium Corporation
#3 - 2016-12-13 12:22:13 UTC
We are both Amarr and atm i had Hibi in mind, its where we USED to do manufracturing and is in Amarr space.
I have no map by hand atm, but is Apanake far away from there ?
And what do you mean with EC ? a trading hub ?

Myriad Blaze
Common Sense Ltd
Nulli Secunda
#4 - 2016-12-13 12:44:23 UTC
Wesley762 wrote:
We are both Amarr and atm i had Hibi in mind, its where we USED to do manufracturing and is in Amarr space.
I have no map by hand atm, but is Apanake far away from there ?
And what do you mean with EC ? a trading hub ?


If you have internet, you have a map (by courtesy of Dotlan):

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/route/2:Hibi:Apanake

(It's 24 jumps if you prefer to stay in hi sec, 22 jumps otherwise.)
Wesley762
Excidium Corporation
#5 - 2016-12-13 12:48:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Wesley762
Quote:

If you have internet, you have a map (by courtesy of Dotlan):

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/route/2:Hibi:Apanake

(It's 24 jumps if you prefer to stay in hi sec, 22 jumps otherwise.)


Thats a very handy map !
Thanks alot :) well nothing is undoable, will just take some time jumping there with my ships.
My friend will obviously only have 1 hehe.
Erin Oswell
WiNGSPAN Delivery Services
WiNGSPAN Delivery Network
#6 - 2016-12-13 13:18:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Erin Oswell
Unless I'm mistaken the complexes don't have moon mining capabilities yet, so I think you can still make POSes since moon goo is still used in production. It's just outposts that have been discontinued, the existing ones haven't been touched though.

Rules of Acquisition #13: "Anything worth doing is worth doing for money"

Serafiel
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2016-12-13 13:36:04 UTC
Erin Oswell wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken the complexes don't have moon mining capabilities yet, so I think you can still make POSes since moon too is still used in production. It's just outposts that have been discontinued, the existing ones haven't been touched though.


This is correct - POSes are not going to be removed untill moon mining and related reactions system is moved to new structures.
Wesley762
Excidium Corporation
#8 - 2016-12-13 13:46:46 UTC
Ok when i get home this afternoon i will go take a look at the Apanake system.
But i guess it is doable to have your own little manufracturing process running with 2 players ?
Perhaps with some more toons on te accounts for extra jobs etc.

And i will start with helping my friend run missions then and have him start salvaging.
I would prefer something closer to hibi tho as it will be quite a chore to jump all my ships there.
But thanks for the tips and research will be done ! :)
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#9 - 2016-12-13 14:14:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Donnachadh
Apanake like all SOE systems can be a gankers magnet, if you go there I suggest being careful of the ships fit you fly to minimize the chance of becoming a target.

Setting that aspect of the SOE systems aside unless you are concerned with maximizing your ISK / LP conversions or simply want to increase your SOE standing why fly 22 - 24 jumps to Apanake just so you can do the same things you can do where you are now?

Getting back to the things for the two of you to do, since your friend is a new player the whole game is open territory, but here are some ideas.

MIning - yes a valid thing for a new player to try if for no other reason they will know from personal experience that they do not want to do that anymore. However even in the mining frigates it can be more profitable than running level 1 or 2 missions so it is a reliable source of ISK in the early months if/when they are online without you.

Look for the The Magic School Bus and get involved with some new player oriented PvP action.

Just get out in some cheap ships and fly around and see the EvE universe, it is rather large and there is a lot to see.

Grab some exploration ships and explore worm holes. Just be sure both of you can scan and both of you have scanning capabilities in your fits, or carry a mobile depot and the pieces needed to refit to scan. A couple of friends of mine did not head that advice and when the scan ship/character got caught by the locals and blown up the rest had to take the pod express home because they had no way to scan an exit.

One of the best things for a new player to do simply because it exposes them to most of what the game has to offer as well as giving them ships, ISK and other things is to run all the tutorial agents. Then they will have the stuff, ISK to go run the SOE epic arc.

If you are going to run missions as a part of your joint experiences you may find this useful.
EvE Survival
Wesley762
Excidium Corporation
#10 - 2016-12-13 14:26:56 UTC
Thanks for the advice Donnachadh, some great ideas there !
And yes if i can find myself some lvl 4 agents in the neighbouhood i would rather stay here.
and i think a system like Hibi is alot less popular then others.. i barely see any other players in the system to be fair.

as for Mining, i actually sold my orca and exhumers from my old alt accounts.
I used to run a strip mining group, but i doubt i will ever set foot there again.

But since my friend wants to do manufacturing, we will require some mining.
Altho i hope i wont need things like Orca's again to archieve that and can do with smaller scale mining...
As Orca's usually are a gank magnet also.. or used to be atleast..
The mining also was mostly to pay for Plexes, back when it was still possible in high sec mining to archieve this...
As i understand that is no longer possible, so hence why i sold most of my mining fleet to fund other means. ( as manufracturing)

As i think getting into manufacturing won't be a cheap ordeal either.
And at this moment im not even sure where to start. but some research will get us a long way.
and perhaps this forum will be of great help aswell :)

For now mission running and tutorials will be it for now.
and hopefully start some simple manuacturing/minng to get grips with it.
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#11 - 2016-12-13 15:09:55 UTC
Wesley762 wrote:
Thanks for the advice Donnachadh, some great ideas there !
And yes if i can find myself some lvl 4 agents in the neighbouhood i would rather stay here.
and i think a system like Hibi is alot less popular then others.. i barely see any other players in the system to be fair.

as for Mining, i actually sold my orca and exhumers from my old alt accounts.
I used to run a strip mining group, but i doubt i will ever set foot there again.

But since my friend wants to do manufacturing, we will require some mining.
Altho i hope i wont need things like Orca's again to archieve that and can do with smaller scale mining...
As Orca's usually are a gank magnet also.. or used to be atleast..
The mining also was mostly to pay for Plexes, back when it was still possible in high sec mining to archieve this...
As i understand that is no longer possible, so hence why i sold most of my mining fleet to fund other means. ( as manufracturing)

As i think getting into manufacturing won't be a cheap ordeal either.
And at this moment im not even sure where to start. but some research will get us a long way.
and perhaps this forum will be of great help aswell :)

For now mission running and tutorials will be it for now.
and hopefully start some simple manuacturing/minng to get grips with it.

Reprocessing the loot / salvage from missions can be a source for some of minerals used for manufacturing although it will need to be supplemented by mining or minerals purchased from the markets.

Do not sell the Orca short, they had some major changes in the last release so before you write them off because of what they were look into them and their use as if it was a new ship to the game.

I was not suggesting going all in for mining as that may or may not be something you or your friend want to do, if you want to be profitable from manufacturing mining will be a requirement since buying minerals on the markets will essentially eat most of your potential profits.

What I was suggesting is that your friend should have a well fit venture in his hanger, if you are not online and he wants to make ISK he can make more by mining than he can by running level 1 or level 2 missions solo.
Alasdan Helminthauge
AirHogs
Hogs Collective
#12 - 2016-12-13 15:18:54 UTC
you can mine a PLEX every month if you mine 8 hours a day Lol maybe actually several every month...

I recommend a mission hub because it's also easier to sell stuff there, but surely you can choose another nearer system.

If you already have a POS, keep using that. Otherwise, you might want an enigeer complex. It's a newly-introduced structure which boosts manufacture, research and invention. In other aspects, they're just like citadels.

Orcas are very ok if fitted properly, especially in a remote system where miner-ganking is less porpular. I almost see a hulk in Apanake (0.5 sec) everyday, but the gankers there just seem only target the blingy mission battleships. BTW your mission ship is very safe from suicide gankers if fitted with only T1, meta, T2 and some cheap factional/deadspace modules.
Lulu Lunette
Savage Moon Society
#13 - 2016-12-13 15:22:18 UTC
Eve is a great two player game. Do you like missions? I would also look into escalations and exploration styles of PVE - in my opinion that's way more fun. You guys could probably crush C2 sites together.

I can't comment much on industry because I only do such a small amount. I've got 5 slots for research almost always running but I never actually use my manufacturing slots. (just can't compete, people mine for free)

Not to mention good PVP ideas too, he could brawl and you could kite... HIGH LOW PUNCH! Smile

@lunettelulu7

Wesley762
Excidium Corporation
#14 - 2016-12-13 15:53:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Wesley762
Atm those statements dont say much to me Lulu, but im sure Exploration can be fun.
Ofcourse il google and familarize myself with everything :)

I never really ventured into exploration or PVP much.
Just used to run missions over and over and did strip mining. the rest of Eve is also new to me, or was not there yet when i played.

So thats also the reason im posting here, eventho i am a 20mil pilot.
Eve is just so big, that even spending a year or more in it will still leave alot of game aspects to discover.

SO thats also the reason im comming back !
But this time i want to try new things, such as manufacturing, faction wars.
And like you mentioned Exploration ! and il find out what C2 sites are :P

But thanks all for the advice and comments, its good to be on a helpfull and friendly forum :)
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#15 - 2016-12-13 16:32:06 UTC  |  Edited by: SurrenderMonkey
Wesley762 wrote:
Hello folks,

Im a oldtime player from about 2009.. and im drawing a blank.
A friend of mine peaked my intrest to return to eve to play together.
He is a brand new player and i got as far as flying a armageddon back then.

What are things we can do together ?
I heard mining is somewhat undoable these days and not alot of profit.
It will be mainly to teach him the game, and give me a refresh course.
I read something about faction warefare..
But he is intressted in manufracturing ships etc and setting up a POS in 0.5.

So any suggestions on where we can start ?
And is manufracturing/setting up a pos doable with 2 players ?

Its just been a long time and i would love to enjoy eve again :)
Just unsure where to start apart from missions.


Manufacturing/setting up a POS is totally doable with 2 players. In fact, it's doable, and commonly done, with one player.

That said...

Manufacturing is probably not a good place to start. It benefits enormously from in-depth knowledge of the game as a whole, which you're just not going to have for a while. Actually doing it profitably is somewhat unforgiving, and really getting your money's worth out of a POS means doing several billion worth of production monthly.

If you want to go that route, I would start out in an NPC station, or even one of the public ECs, before standing up your own structure.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Wesley762
Excidium Corporation
#16 - 2016-12-13 16:53:14 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Wesley762 wrote:
Hello folks,

Im a oldtime player from about 2009.. and im drawing a blank.
A friend of mine peaked my intrest to return to eve to play together.
He is a brand new player and i got as far as flying a armageddon back then.

What are things we can do together ?
I heard mining is somewhat undoable these days and not alot of profit.
It will be mainly to teach him the game, and give me a refresh course.
I read something about faction warefare..
But he is intressted in manufracturing ships etc and setting up a POS in 0.5.

So any suggestions on where we can start ?
And is manufracturing/setting up a pos doable with 2 players ?

Its just been a long time and i would love to enjoy eve again :)
Just unsure where to start apart from missions.


Manufacturing/setting up a POS is totally doable with 2 players. In fact, it's doable, and commonly done, with one player.

That said...

Manufacturing is probably not a good place to start. It benefits enormously from in-depth knowledge of the game as a whole, which you're just not going to have for a while. Actually doing it profitably is somewhat unforgiving, and really getting your money's worth out of a POS means doing several billion worth of production monthly.

If you want to go that route, I would start out in an NPC station, or even one of the public ECs, before standing up your own structure.


So having our own pos should be a end goal.
Im glad to hear its viable to do with 2 players atleast, as having goals is always nice.

I think we will start then with getting to know the game first and low lvl manfacturing.
And first build up some isk/knowledge doing all turorials and arcs.

Is it wise to get into PI right from the start ? Or is that more a thing for alts.




Alaric Faelen
Ascendance
Goonswarm Federation
#17 - 2016-12-13 22:39:10 UTC
Anything you can do in Eve, you can do better in a fleet. The mechanics are such that any fleet is more than just the sum of it's parts. Whether you are simply applying more DPS to mission rats to wipe them faster, or experimenting with dedicated fleet roles- fleeting up is a good idea.

One of the first things I did in this game was follow two other total newbs into a wormhole and shot Sleepers in a Prophecy I barely had the skills to fly. I can't believe someone didn't find us and blow us to pieces, I didn't even know what the D-Scan was at the time.....Lol
But in an hour or two I made more in selling loot than I had in a week of running missions alone.

Fleets are made up of roles, and many of those roles really come into their own when you can dedicate a bonused ship (and some SP) to it. Play around with fits that work in tandem rather than just a self-contained solo boat. Remote repair, repair drones, cap boosting, smart bombing, drone assist....all things you can explore with a friend.

Tackle more difficult content. Fleeting up is like skipping ahead to better rewards. Simply being able to put out more DPS in something like a mission means rats die before applying much damage. You can take that flimsy tank into a tougher mission if you kill rats before they hit you. Or use remote repair or boosts.

Ninja all the things. A couple guys in probing ships can cover a bunch of systems fast and stealthy. Then team up to run sites together faster, and with mutual defense. Same for ninja mining. Since you're probing anyway- cosmic sigs often have a chance to drop shiny loot, and two guys blasting thru them faster churns a better chance you'll hit that paydirt.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#18 - 2016-12-14 08:58:00 UTC
Alasdan Helminthauge wrote:
Sorry, no POS anymore, but we have enigeer complex now.

If you ca fly a battleship and he wants industry, you can do lv4 missions and let him loot/salvage behind to gather the materials.
Apanake maybe a good system. It's 0.5 system, has a lv4 SOE sec agent, and an EC in 3 jumps.
Lanngisi may be a better option, but I've never been there and dont know whether there's any EC nearby.


Apanake is the better missioning system.

Lanngisi's agent always sends you to Barkrik, where every mission is 120AU+ from the gate. You'll spend most of your life in warp, which is good for people who need toilet breaks, but sucks for everyone else.

If OP is looking at mission-running at an SOE agent, consider joining Pro Synergy too. If your friend is salvaging for one mission-runner in a destroyer, they should be able to keep themselves busy salvaging for more :D
Wesley762
Excidium Corporation
#19 - 2016-12-14 10:03:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Wesley762
Mara Rinn wrote:
Alasdan Helminthauge wrote:
Sorry, no POS anymore, but we have enigeer complex now.

If you ca fly a battleship and he wants industry, you can do lv4 missions and let him loot/salvage behind to gather the materials.
Apanake maybe a good system. It's 0.5 system, has a lv4 SOE sec agent, and an EC in 3 jumps.
Lanngisi may be a better option, but I've never been there and dont know whether there's any EC nearby.


Apanake is the better missioning system.

Lanngisi's agent always sends you to Barkrik, where every mission is 120AU+ from the gate. You'll spend most of your life in warp, which is good for people who need toilet breaks, but sucks for everyone else.

If OP is looking at mission-running at an SOE agent, consider joining Pro Synergy too. If your friend is salvaging for one mission-runner in a destroyer, they should be able to keep themselves busy salvaging for more :D



Don't we have to build up standings to be able to build a pos in 0.5 with a corp. (which il be making soon in our target system.
Or is that gone aswell. have to say alot has changed..

For now i will do missions with my friend in his own space with my alt.
And build back all my PI setups, as we might need that someday, especially fo T2 manufacturing. ( or so i read)
I will try get my mining ops back up to just start buildng up a supply for our crafting endevours :)
I also noticed im still mising some of the required skills on my mains so il be training those aswell.

In the mean time il give my friend the room to enjoy eve and try to guide him trough it.
And i can tag allong to refresh my memory :)
Francis Raven
ExDominion
Evictus.
#20 - 2016-12-14 14:50:53 UTC
Standings are no longer required in order to set up Highsec towers.

I would look at finding a system with level 4 mission agents, AND has a decent manufacturing station or citadel available to you. This will allow you to base yourself in a spot that gives you access to different activities. Manufacturing is very passive - once you set up your jobs, there's not much you can do, other than mining, that will support your manufacturing endeavors.

Set up a tower, do some PI, do some mining, do some missions.

ExDominion | Nullsec Corporation | Website | Forums | Established Nov. 2015 |

12Next page