These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

News Flash

Author
Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#21 - 2016-12-02 19:53:43 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Sexy Cakes wrote:
The point I'm making is that if you aren't bad you don't have to spend all day PvE'ing. There's a million ways to make a billion a month with absolute minimal effort. Just because I provide trash talkers with my methods of making ISK doesn't mean that's all I'm referring to, I feel like I need a box of crayons to explain things to you people so here goes...

IF YOU CAN'T MANAGE TO MAKE ENOUGH ISK IN ONE MONTH TO PURCHASE A PLEX THEN YOU ARE BAD AT EVE.
And I just pointed out that some don't PvE AT ALL. That's not their thing. They engage purely in loss driving activities and CBA to even consider paying with PLEX. Others CBA for other reasons.

That doesn't make them bad at Eve. It just means your standard is terrible.


My standard is not paying people for doing a ****** job and CCP does a ****** job on this game. I still like playing it but I don't pay them money. So if you do pay them money then you are paying for them to do a ****** job and therefore and proliferating the terribleness and hence bad at EVE.

Not today spaghetti.

Neuntausend
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2016-12-02 19:57:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Neuntausend
u3pog wrote:
If you earn your ISK in your free time and PLEX your account with it, then EVE is free for you $$$ wise I think OP meant free real money wise, not in-game.

I doubt all of you work and make money 24 hours a day to make that silly comparison with the minerals. Yes, it's not free time wise, but following that logic, your sleep isn't for free also.

Now, if you are real-life tycoon, you follow the maxim "time is money", work and earn money non-stop, and play EVE at the same time...Well, that's your problem. Big smile

It's not about the investment of time, really. If you *have* minerals - not even talking about how you got them - you could give them away, or you could sell them for ISK. If you opt to just give them away, that basically just cost you whatever those minerals were worth on the market. Same with PLEX. If you *have* a PLEX, no matter why, and you opt to use it to upgrade to Omega, that just cost you a PLEX.

Or let's put it this way: Imagine you find a hundred dollar bill just lying on the ground. That's free, right? At least as close as it gets to being free - you still have to pick it up, but let's just disregard that and say it's absolutely free. Now you take those 100 free dollars, and buy a months worth of canned dog food for it. Is that dog food free? No, of course not, you just spent a hundred dollars on it, that you could have spent otherwise.
Estuary Algaert
Petulant Luddite GmbH
#23 - 2016-12-02 19:58:27 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Estuary Algaert wrote:
OP, there is a difference between no net cost and free. You are the former, Alpha accounts are the latter. Continue enjoying your delusions.


https://lmgtfy.com/?q=definition+of+free

adverb
1.
without cost or payment.
"ladies were admitted free"
synonyms: without charge, free of charge, for nothing;


Thank you, I totally did not realize that ISK and PLEX are nothing. Let me just go dump all that since I don't need it to fund my subscription anymore. Anyone in the market for a pile of PLEX? Might even let them go cheap since I got them all about 6 years ago, seeing that I don't need them anymore.

*Runs off feeling liberated from the shackles of thinking I was still paying for my account(s)*
u3pog
Ministerstvo na otbranata
#24 - 2016-12-02 20:03:40 UTC  |  Edited by: u3pog
Neuntausend wrote:
It's not about the investment of time, really. If you *have* minerals - not even talking about how you got them - you could give them away, or you could sell them for ISK. If you opt to just give them away, that basically just cost you whatever those minerals were worth on the market. Same with PLEX. If you *have* a PLEX, no matter why, and you opt to use it to upgrade to Omega, that just cost you a PLEX.


Yes, so it costed you an in-game item (somebody paid for it, wasn't you though), not real money. I think the title of the thread is misleading here, EVE is not for free, it's just free of charge for those who PLEX.
Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#25 - 2016-12-02 20:04:01 UTC
**Raises hand**

Serious question here.
What's CBA?

I googled it and found:
Community Bankers Association of Georgia
Continental Basketball Association
Christian Booksellers Assosiation

And more associations...
Somehow I think this might be millennial-interweb-speak.

Please enlightened the uninformed.

Thanks,
Gadget - feeling old

Work smarter, not harder. --Scrooge McDuck, an eminent old-Earth economist

Given an hour to save New Eden, how would respected scientist, Albertus Eisenstein compose his thoughts? "Fifty-five minutes to define the problem; save the galaxy in five."

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#26 - 2016-12-02 20:06:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Sexy Cakes
Neuntausend wrote:
Even if you got a billion just for logging in once a month you wouldn't play for free if you used that billion to buy a PLEX. You could have used that billion to buy something else. Saying a PLEX bought from the spoils of one month of AFK ratting is "free" is the same as saying that Carriers are free. If Carriers are free, why doesn't everybody have some, just for ***** and giggles?

If you give something (no matter what or how you got it) to get something, that something is not free. You could argue that Eve is not very expensive. That would be very subjective but hard to refute. But when you say it's free, you are mistaken.


People in this game convolute opportunity cost to justify spending their RL money on pixels worse than any other game I've played. At least when someone buys skins in real free to play games they don't have to try to lie to themselves about it and just call it a waste of money on a hobby. In EVE you tryhards think you are going fool anyone else as bad as you fool yourself into believing dropping 200 bucks on PLEX is actually a proactive thing in your life so you don't spend 3 months grinding out a super. Ya right...

Not today spaghetti.

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#27 - 2016-12-02 20:08:13 UTC
Gadget Helmsdottir wrote:
**Raises hand**

Serious question here.
What's CBA?

I googled it and found:
Community Bankers Association of Georgia
Continental Basketball Association
Christian Booksellers Assosiation

And more associations...
Somehow I think this might be millennial-interweb-speak.

Please enlightened the uninformed.

Thanks,
Gadget - feeling old


can't be asked

Not today spaghetti.

Estuary Algaert
Petulant Luddite GmbH
#28 - 2016-12-02 20:09:23 UTC
Gadget Helmsdottir wrote:
**Raises hand**

Serious question here.
What's CBA?

I googled it and found:
Community Bankers Association of Georgia
Continental Basketball Association
Christian Booksellers Assosiation

And more associations...
Somehow I think this might be millennial-interweb-speak.

Please enlightened the uninformed.

Thanks,
Gadget - feeling old


I'm going with Cocoa Butter Alternatives...

Cost Benefit Analysis
Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#29 - 2016-12-02 20:10:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Gadget Helmsdottir
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Neuntausend wrote:
Even if you got a billion just for logging in once a month you wouldn't play for free if you used that billion to buy a PLEX. You could have used that billion to buy something else. Saying a PLEX bought from the spoils of one month of AFK ratting is "free" is the same as saying that Carriers are free. If Carriers are free, why doesn't everybody have some, just for ***** and giggles?

If you give something (no matter what or how you got it) to get something, that something is not free. You could argue that Eve is not very expensive. That would be very subjective but hard to refute. But when you say it's free, you are mistaken.


People in this game convolute opportunity cost to justify spending their RL money pixels worse than any other game I've played. At least when someone buys skins in real free to play games they don't have to try to lie to themselves about it and just call it a waste of money on a hobby. In EVE you tryhards think you are going fool anyone else as bad as you fool yourself into believing dropping 200 bucks on PLEX is actually a proactive thing in your life so you don't spend 3 months grinding out a super. Ya right...


??


This apparently has moved to a rant.

EvE is worth exactly how much I pay for it in time, cash, and will.

--Gadget

BTW, Thanks for the answers, all. Lexicon improved to level 4.

Work smarter, not harder. --Scrooge McDuck, an eminent old-Earth economist

Given an hour to save New Eden, how would respected scientist, Albertus Eisenstein compose his thoughts? "Fifty-five minutes to define the problem; save the galaxy in five."

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#30 - 2016-12-02 20:12:29 UTC
Gadget Helmsdottir wrote:

??


This apparently has moved to a rant.

EvE is worth exactly how much I pay for it in time, cash, and will.

--Gadget


Go to the grocery store and ask them if you can give your time or will to put food on the table.

Not today spaghetti.

Cien Banchiere
Extrinsic Arcadia Distribution
#31 - 2016-12-02 20:15:26 UTC
I had a nice reply, but I ended up saying "nah" because I feel like this is actually a joke topic.
Gadget Helmsdottir
Gadget's Workshop
#32 - 2016-12-02 20:16:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Gadget Helmsdottir
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Gadget Helmsdottir wrote:

??


This apparently has moved to a rant.

EvE is worth exactly how much I pay for it in time, cash, and will.

--Gadget


Go to the grocery store and ask them if you can give your time or will to put food on the table.



GO is the key word there.


To get groceries, I need to spend Time (getting there), Cash (someone's... almost always mine), and Will (meh, I'll go later).

--Gadget

Work smarter, not harder. --Scrooge McDuck, an eminent old-Earth economist

Given an hour to save New Eden, how would respected scientist, Albertus Eisenstein compose his thoughts? "Fifty-five minutes to define the problem; save the galaxy in five."

Neuntausend
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2016-12-02 20:18:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Neuntausend
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Go to the grocery store and ask them if you can give your time or will to put food on the table.

Go to the grocery store and ask them if you can hold them a lecture about quantum mechanics to put food on your table. Go to the grocery store in Boston and ask them if you can give them a bunch of north korean Won to put food on your table. Just because with whatever you may have you can't buy a specific item at a specific place with it doesn't mean it's not worth anything. And if you give something that has any worth attached to it to get something else, it's not free. This concept should really not be hard to grasp.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2016-12-02 20:20:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyberius Franklin
Sexy Cakes wrote:
My standard is not paying people for doing a ****** job and CCP does a ****** job on this game. I still like playing it but I don't pay them money. So if you do pay them money then you are paying for them to do a ****** job and therefore and proliferating the terribleness and hence bad at EVE.
People have expressed that view before, and it makes no more sense now than it ever has to try punishing CCP by working to ensure they get paid more for each month than they would if you were happy with the game.

If I had a game full of people like you and a system like PLEX you can bet I'd break things regularly to keep you incentivizing the highest cost sub method I have to offer. So long as the PLEX buyers from me are happy and you aren't quitting your gripes have no reason to matter to me.
Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#35 - 2016-12-02 20:22:01 UTC
Neuntausend wrote:

Go to the grocery and ask them if you can hold them a lecture about quantum mechanics to put food on your table. Go to the grocery store in Boston and ask them if you can give them a bunch of north korean Won to put food on your table. Just because with whatever you may have you can't buy a specific item at a specific place with it doesn't mean it's not worth anything. And if you give something that has any worth attached to it to get something else, it's not free. This concept should really not be hard to grasp.


The concept is not hard to grasp but your attachment of the concept to an actual point in this argument is.

Not today spaghetti.

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#36 - 2016-12-02 20:23:03 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
If I had a game full of people like you and a system like PLEX you can bet I'd break things regularly to keep you incentivizing the highest cost sub method I have to offer. So long as the PLEX buyers from me are happy and you aren't quitting your gripes have no reason to matter to me.


Maybe we've finally stumbled on the reason CCP screws up so much?!?

Not today spaghetti.

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2016-12-02 20:24:47 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
If I had a game full of people like you and a system like PLEX you can bet I'd break things regularly to keep you incentivizing the highest cost sub method I have to offer. So long as the PLEX buyers from me are happy and you aren't quitting your gripes have no reason to matter to me.


Maybe we've finally stumbled on the reason CCP screws up so much?!?
Maybe, but that means you're still advocating being part of the issue as "being good at eve."
Galaxy Duck
Galaxy Farm Carebear Repurposing
#38 - 2016-12-02 20:26:38 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
Sexy Cakes wrote:
The point I'm making is that if you aren't bad you don't have to spend all day PvE'ing. There's a million ways to make a billion a month with absolute minimal effort. Just because I provide trash talkers with my methods of making ISK doesn't mean that's all I'm referring to, I feel like I need a box of crayons to explain things to you people so here goes...

IF YOU CAN'T MANAGE TO MAKE ENOUGH ISK IN ONE MONTH TO PURCHASE A PLEX THEN YOU ARE BAD AT EVE.
And I just pointed out that some don't PvE AT ALL. That's not their thing. They engage purely in loss driving activities and CBA to even consider paying with PLEX. Others CBA for other reasons.

That doesn't make them bad at Eve. It just means your standard is terrible.


My standard is not paying people for doing a ****** job and CCP does a ****** job on this game. I still like playing it but I don't pay them money. So if you do pay them money then you are paying for them to do a ****** job and therefore and proliferating the terribleness and hence bad at EVE.


Ahh, he doesn't like CCP and has an axe to grind... Now I get it.


OP, you do realize that CCP makes even more money off you when you PLEX your account than when you subscribe, right?
Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#39 - 2016-12-02 20:30:03 UTC
Galaxy Duck wrote:

Ahh, he doesn't like CCP and has an axe to grind... Now I get it.


OP, you do realize that CCP makes even more money off you when you PLEX your account than when you subscribe, right?


It's not that I don't like CCP. It's that I don't feel they do a good enough job on the product they are selling to warrant my money. I play this game for no monetary cost. Time I have spare and that's why I play video games in the first place, to waste time.

Not today spaghetti.

Cien Banchiere
Extrinsic Arcadia Distribution
#40 - 2016-12-02 20:31:36 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Galaxy Duck wrote:

Ahh, he doesn't like CCP and has an axe to grind... Now I get it.


OP, you do realize that CCP makes even more money off you when you PLEX your account than when you subscribe, right?


It's not that I don't like CCP. It's that I don't feel they do a good enough job on the product they are selling to warrant my money. I play this game for no monetary cost. Time I have spare and that's why I play video games in the first place, to waste time.



Still an opportunity cost. And someone else is paying $20 for.your time so you're not punishing them in any shape or form. They are still making money, and more than nornal.