These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

What would you do in this situation?

Author
Pindleton Severasse
Glorious Pew
TDF Official
#1 - 2016-11-30 17:45:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Pindleton Severasse
PREFACE: This is not a whine thread.

Tonight I forced myself to log off from EVE. The reason, you see, is that I am an explorer (Astero pilot) in null sec who got cornered.

I have taken a liking to Stain. Over the past few days I've made quite a handsome profit hacking cans there. Anyway, apparently I ticked off some of the locals. I was making my way through the region when it happened, BAM. I warp in, and as soon as I do, interdiction spheres are flying everywhere. I check local, 2 people. Decided to burn back to the gate since I was in the middle of the spheres. Pop MWD, activate reps, OVERHEAT, clench arse. Everything check.

I made it back to the other side. Thank God local was empty. I decided to duck into the nearest system to try and get away from them--little did I realize that it was a dead end. I arrive, one person in local. That person was in the same corp as the people who just tried to make me take the fresh clone express back to hisec. I sat there for a while and watched d-scan. That guy was in a Stratios. Soon he dropped combat probes. Alright, so he's in on it to. ****.

I twiddled my thumbs for a while then decided to make a break for it. Jumped, interdicted again. Ran back to gate, they got half way through armor. Warp to tactical and rep up. Now I'm back to twiddling my thumbs. These guys have got to **** off at some time, right? Wrong. Gave it a third try. Same result. This time I almost died.

There was an NPC station in system, so I just docked up and logged off.



The reason for me telling this story is to ask for advice. Is there anything, apart from a fiery death, that I could have done to escape this situation?
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2016-11-30 17:49:20 UTC
Is there a wormhole in your dead end system? Trying to escape through one might make it worse, but it would be quite the adventure...

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Paranoid Loyd
#3 - 2016-11-30 17:51:03 UTC
Scan for a WH

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Pindleton Severasse
Glorious Pew
TDF Official
#4 - 2016-11-30 17:51:51 UTC
Zimmy Zeta wrote:
Is there a wormhole in your dead end system? Trying to escape through one might make it worse, but it would be quite the adventure...


I commonly enter and exit null through wormholes. First thing I did was scan down the anomalies and hope for a wormhole. Unfortunately, none to be found. =(
Hrist Harkonnen
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2016-11-30 17:53:39 UTC
Pindleton Severasse wrote:
PREFACE: This is not a whine thread.

Tonight I forced myself to log off from EVE. The reason, you see, is that I am an explorer (Astero pilot) in null sec who got cornered.

I have taken a liking to Stain. Over the past few days I've made quite a handsome profit hacking cans there. Anyway, apparently I ticked off some of the locals. I was making my way through the region when it happened, BAM. I warp in, and as soon as I do, interdiction spheres are flying everywhere. I check local, 2 people. Decided to burn back to the gate since I was in the middle of the spheres. Pop MWD, activate reps, OVERHEAT, clench arse. Everything check.

I made it back to the other side. Thank God local was empty. I decided to duck into the nearest system to try and get away from them--little did I realize that it was a dead end. I arrive, one person in local. That person was in the same corp as the people who just tried to make me take the fresh clone express back to hisec. I sat there for a while and watched d-scan. That guy was in a Stratios. Soon he dropped combat probes. Alright, so he's in on it to. ****.

I twiddled my thumbs for a while then decided to make a break for it. Jumped, interdicted again. Ran back to gate, they got half way through armor. Warp to tactical and rep up. Now I'm back to twiddling my thumbs. These guys have got to **** off at some time, right? Wrong. Gave it a third try. Same result. This time I almost died.

There was an NPC station in system, so I just docked up and logged off.



The reason for me telling this story is to ask for advice. Is there anything, apart from a fiery death, that I could have done to escape this situation?



The fact that you survived 3 times makes me wonder how good you are or how bad are them.
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2016-11-30 17:54:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Zimmy Zeta
Oh..in that case...have you tried to negotiate with the enemy, requested a parlay?

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Pindleton Severasse
Glorious Pew
TDF Official
#7 - 2016-11-30 17:57:05 UTC
Hrist Harkonnen wrote:
Pindleton Severasse wrote:
PREFACE: This is not a whine thread.

Tonight I forced myself to log off from EVE. The reason, you see, is that I am an explorer (Astero pilot) in null sec who got cornered.

I have taken a liking to Stain. Over the past few days I've made quite a handsome profit hacking cans there. Anyway, apparently I ticked off some of the locals. I was making my way through the region when it happened, BAM. I warp in, and as soon as I do, interdiction spheres are flying everywhere. I check local, 2 people. Decided to burn back to the gate since I was in the middle of the spheres. Pop MWD, activate reps, OVERHEAT, clench arse. Everything check.

I made it back to the other side. Thank God local was empty. I decided to duck into the nearest system to try and get away from them--little did I realize that it was a dead end. I arrive, one person in local. That person was in the same corp as the people who just tried to make me take the fresh clone express back to hisec. I sat there for a while and watched d-scan. That guy was in a Stratios. Soon he dropped combat probes. Alright, so he's in on it to. ****.

I twiddled my thumbs for a while then decided to make a break for it. Jumped, interdicted again. Ran back to gate, they got half way through armor. Warp to tactical and rep up. Now I'm back to twiddling my thumbs. These guys have got to **** off at some time, right? Wrong. Gave it a third try. Same result. This time I almost died.

There was an NPC station in system, so I just docked up and logged off.



The reason for me telling this story is to ask for advice. Is there anything, apart from a fiery death, that I could have done to escape this situation?



The fact that you survived 3 times makes me wonder how good you are or how bad are them.


Astero is pretty tanky with dual reps. If they had had a third guy in an interceptor to sit on the opposite side of the gate, I'd have been toast. Thankfully the Stratios can't lock up frigates quickly, and the Stratios pilot didn't even try.
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#8 - 2016-11-30 17:59:03 UTC
This story confuses me. Do you not have a covops cloak on this Astero?

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Persephone Alleile
Tartarus Covert Operations
#9 - 2016-11-30 18:00:27 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
This story confuses me. Do you not have a covops cloak on this Astero?



I was wondering this as well.

Worst case scenario you try logging in early in the morning or something when they are not online.
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#10 - 2016-11-30 18:01:18 UTC
wait... you were in an astero which has a covert ops cloak... so form the dead end i would of ran to the gate cloaked, jumped, if they deployed a bubble i would of them immediately uncloaked turned on mwd then immediately cloaked. if you do it fast enough they can't lock you. you;d then burn out of the bubble and warp off cloaked.

Easy.

Unless i misread the op, then i would of been scanning for a wh. no one should of been able to scan you if you were in an astero.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#11 - 2016-11-30 18:01:19 UTC
Try to time am escape shortly after down time?

You have a covert op cloak correct? Jump gate. Approach gate with MWD on. Cloak. Change direction and pray they don't get close enough. Try to fly out of the bubbles and then plot an escape from a safe point in that system.
Pindleton Severasse
Glorious Pew
TDF Official
#12 - 2016-11-30 18:02:35 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
This story confuses me. Do you not have a covops cloak on this Astero?


I do, but I take the gate. They launch spheres, I try to align and cloak, they are on top of me (decloak) and locking me before I can warp out.
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#13 - 2016-11-30 18:03:54 UTC
Lady Ayeipsia wrote:
Try to time am escape shortly after down time?

You have a covert op cloak correct? Jump gate. Approach gate with MWD on. Cloak. Change direction and pray they don't get close enough. Try to fly out of the bubbles and then plot an escape from a safe point in that system.



don;t even need to do that, jump, click a random direction in space, mwd, immediatly hit F1. with practice you cna do it so fast they can;t lock you. even if they deploy the bubble by the time that first mwd cycle ends you should be clear.

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Pindleton Severasse
Glorious Pew
TDF Official
#14 - 2016-11-30 18:07:11 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
Lady Ayeipsia wrote:
Try to time am escape shortly after down time?

You have a covert op cloak correct? Jump gate. Approach gate with MWD on. Cloak. Change direction and pray they don't get close enough. Try to fly out of the bubbles and then plot an escape from a safe point in that system.



don;t even need to do that, jump, click a random direction in space, mwd, immediatly hit F1. with practice you cna do it so fast they can;t lock you. even if they deploy the bubble by the time that first mwd cycle ends you should be clear.


I will have to try this when I have less loot on board and in a cheaper ship. I'm just afraid of trying to burn away from the gate, getting caught, and not having enough ehp/rep to run back to the gate if I get it wrong.
SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#15 - 2016-11-30 18:08:54 UTC  |  Edited by: SurrenderMonkey
Pindleton Severasse wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
This story confuses me. Do you not have a covops cloak on this Astero?


I do, but I take the gate. They launch spheres, I try to align and cloak, they are on top of me (decloak) and locking me before I can warp out.



Double click in a direction relatively perpendicular to what their approach vector to you would be, hit the cloak, hit the MWD. I've run dozens of far scarier camps in covops ships, which are significantly less nimble than an Astero.

Docking was a bad idea. There's not a lot of good reasons to telegraph your specific location like that on a cloaking ship.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Pindleton Severasse
Glorious Pew
TDF Official
#16 - 2016-11-30 18:11:17 UTC
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Pindleton Severasse wrote:
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
This story confuses me. Do you not have a covops cloak on this Astero?


I do, but I take the gate. They launch spheres, I try to align and cloak, they are on top of me (decloak) and locking me before I can warp out.



Double click in a direction relatively perpendicular to what their approach vector to you would be, hit the cloak, hit the MWD. I've run dozens of far scarier camps in covops ships, which are significantly less nimble than an Astero.

Docking was a bad idea. There's not a lot of good reasons to telegraph your specific location like that on a cloaking ship.


Thanks for the tips. It's really helpful.
voetius
Grundrisse
#17 - 2016-11-30 18:16:18 UTC

I would do some research on the characters before you take a next step. If you can't recall their names (quite possible in the heat of the moment), have a look on zkillboard, you can put the solar system name into the search box.

Look up all the kills, it will default to most recent first. Identify these characters. Look at a few pages of kill / lossmails and look at the times to identify their probable timezone. Their corp. details may help as well (if it says aussie corp. as opposed to general fluff). Once you know when they are most likely to be around, you can time your escape for when they are asleep (may need to alarm clock for that if they are in the same tz as you).

Alternately, if you have jump clones in empire or low or anywhere really. Dock up, JC out and go about your business. Return another time to evac your stuff.
Pindleton Severasse
Glorious Pew
TDF Official
#18 - 2016-11-30 18:26:07 UTC
voetius wrote:

I would do some research on the characters before you take a next step. If you can't recall their names (quite possible in the heat of the moment), have a look on zkillboard, you can put the solar system name into the search box.

Look up all the kills, it will default to most recent first. Identify these characters. Look at a few pages of kill / lossmails and look at the times to identify their probable timezone. Their corp. details may help as well (if it says aussie corp. as opposed to general fluff). Once you know when they are most likely to be around, you can time your escape for when they are asleep (may need to alarm clock for that if they are in the same tz as you).

Alternately, if you have jump clones in empire or low or anywhere really. Dock up, JC out and go about your business. Return another time to evac your stuff.


Oh, jump clone is a good idea!
Kojee
Safety Set To Red
Death Korps 0f Krieg
#19 - 2016-11-30 18:31:34 UTC
Everyone gets bored waiting for a kill. Trust me.

Just set an alarm for Ridiculous-O-Clock and try again. I'm sure you'll get out fine.
Vortexo VonBrenner
Doomheim
#20 - 2016-11-30 18:43:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Vortexo VonBrenner
Maybe use f11 solar system map to plot an unexpected angle to warp to gate cloaked from? That can sometimes buy you a fraction of a second to completely free depending on who's against you.


edit: Perhaps it would be a good time to make a new alpha and check out the NPE while waiting?
12Next page