These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Renaming and suggestions

Author
Elis3 Un3xist
Ofdimaelr Industrie Eau Lourde
#1 - 2016-09-26 15:41:31 UTC
Hello,

.I would like to be able to rename my old characters even if I had to pay a ticket like for resculpting a character.
Im not trying to escape bad reputation I do know that it is important in EVE.
I choose those nicknames when I was like 18 years old...

CCP should add a way to find if a character has been renamed in the show info or maybe using those old Locator Agents.

.CCP please add new things to do in the captain quarter; look at other mmo how they do housing, in EVE captain quarter you can't even lying in your bed.
You made a great thing and you don't use it, I want to play barbie online/sims sometimes after killing everything all day long.
There are people that won't even try EVE just because they know you only see your spaceship all day long.

Remember this : https://youtu.be/Gf26ZhHz6uM ?
I want those nice dress !

Why not even add walking in POS/planetary things and maybe later in your own spaceship ?
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#2 - 2016-09-26 18:11:37 UTC
You see, this is what happens when you chew on too many bad ideas all at once. You get sick and throw up all over a forum thread. Can somebody get a mop and squeegee to clean this up?

As to your ideas (in no particular order)

No
Heck NO!!!
sigh
ooph
grrrrr

and

+1 to walking around my PI facility, but only if I have to do 4 not close to each other clicks for every step.
Merchant Rova
Miata Waifu Club
#3 - 2016-09-26 18:34:11 UTC
I would love to see WiS expanded more (and I'm sure the rest of the RP crowd would too) but I don't think it will be. At the very least, could we interact with other characters? It'd be soooo nice for RP.

+1
Elis3 Un3xist
Ofdimaelr Industrie Eau Lourde
#4 - 2016-09-26 22:16:17 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:
You see, this is what happens when you chew on too many bad ideas all at once. You get sick and throw up all over a forum thread. Can somebody get a mop and squeegee to clean this up?

As to your ideas (in no particular order)

No
Heck NO!!!
sigh
ooph
grrrrr

and

+1 to walking around my PI facility, but only if I have to do 4 not close to each other clicks for every step.


Why would you be against renaming ? Of course limitations must be set.
It is 2016 I want to rename I should be able to do that at least ONCE.
Rawketsled
Generic Corp Name
#5 - 2016-09-26 23:27:04 UTC
Choices and consequences, mon'amie.
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#6 - 2016-09-27 14:03:45 UTC
Elis3 Un3xist wrote:
Serendipity Lost wrote:
You see, this is what happens when you chew on too many bad ideas all at once. You get sick and throw up all over a forum thread. Can somebody get a mop and squeegee to clean this up?

As to your ideas (in no particular order)

No
Heck NO!!!
sigh
ooph
grrrrr

and

+1 to walking around my PI facility, but only if I have to do 4 not close to each other clicks for every step.


Why would you be against renaming ? Of course limitations must be set.
It is 2016 I want to rename I should be able to do that at least ONCE.



CCP has provided you with a renaming mechanic. Search the market for skill injectors. Roll new pilot and transfer skills. Sure you'll lose some isk and SP. I'm an old dude in RL and I have some old dude sensibility. I'll pass it on to you. All things you do every day have consequences. The consequences could range from nothing, to life long guilt, to life in prison, but all your actions mean something.

Renaming a character erases all meaning from anything anyone does in the game. So personally - I prefer that actions have meaning in Eve. I don't want it to change. Your character naming is on you. Live with it or make a new character.

It's quite vexing that someone (that would be you and your renaming kind) has the self centered audacity to attempt to change a fundamental game concept (choices have meaning) because you picked a bad name for your character. Here's one for you....

Serendipity Lost

WTF kind of name is that? Is it fun on comms... for anyone? No, folks have been stumbling over it for a decade. Even with an awkward name - I've managed to enjoy the game for 10+ years. Please, reach deep down inside and come to terms with your name choice - it has consequences.
Elis3 Un3xist
Ofdimaelr Industrie Eau Lourde
#7 - 2016-09-29 13:07:35 UTC
Serendipity Lost wrote:
Elis3 Un3xist wrote:
Serendipity Lost wrote:
You see, this is what happens when you chew on too many bad ideas all at once. You get sick and throw up all over a forum thread. Can somebody get a mop and squeegee to clean this up?

As to your ideas (in no particular order)

No
Heck NO!!!
sigh
ooph
grrrrr

and

+1 to walking around my PI facility, but only if I have to do 4 not close to each other clicks for every step.


Why would you be against renaming ? Of course limitations must be set.
It is 2016 I want to rename I should be able to do that at least ONCE.



CCP has provided you with a renaming mechanic. Search the market for skill injectors. Roll new pilot and transfer skills. Sure you'll lose some isk and SP. I'm an old dude in RL and I have some old dude sensibility. I'll pass it on to you. All things you do every day have consequences. The consequences could range from nothing, to life long guilt, to life in prison, but all your actions mean something.

Renaming a character erases all meaning from anything anyone does in the game. So personally - I prefer that actions have meaning in Eve. I don't want it to change. Your character naming is on you. Live with it or make a new character.

It's quite vexing that someone (that would be you and your renaming kind) has the self centered audacity to attempt to change a fundamental game concept (choices have meaning) because you picked a bad name for your character. Here's one for you....

Serendipity Lost

WTF kind of name is that? Is it fun on comms... for anyone? No, folks have been stumbling over it for a decade. Even with an awkward name - I've managed to enjoy the game for 10+ years. Please, reach deep down inside and come to terms with your name choice - it has consequences.


2016 and you still can't rename your character at least once.
FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#8 - 2016-09-29 13:32:34 UTC
I bet the guys who were in the guiding hand social club would really love the ability to log their characters in again without everyone immediately knowing it is a guiding hand social club sting...

You chose a **** name for your character and now you have to deal with it... and at 18 you SHOULD have known better then to select some totally asinine name for your character.

Not supported, accept the concequences of your choices and #dealwithit
Cade Windstalker
#9 - 2016-09-29 21:09:38 UTC
Elis3 Un3xist wrote:
2016 and you still can't rename your character at least once.


Yup, because this is Eve and decisions have consequences.

Proof that games can teach useful life lessons Big smile
Elis3 Un3xist
Ofdimaelr Industrie Eau Lourde
#10 - 2016-09-29 23:30:00 UTC
Then explain me why body resculpt is allowed but not renaming this is stupid.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#11 - 2016-09-29 23:39:31 UTC
Elis3 Un3xist wrote:
Then explain me why body resculpt is allowed but not renaming this is stupid.

Consequences.
Your name has a reputation attached to it. Change it and that reputation is easy to sidestep, even if there is a history tab in your char info people still have to spend time looking it up and going through every single one of those 200 renames you've done to find the one rename that you actually did a big scam on.
Really with skill injectors they should even stop character trading so that everyone knows the same name is always attached to the same player.
Elis3 Un3xist
Ofdimaelr Industrie Eau Lourde
#12 - 2016-09-30 12:25:48 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Elis3 Un3xist wrote:
Then explain me why body resculpt is allowed but not renaming this is stupid.

Consequences.
Your name has a reputation attached to it. Change it and that reputation is easy to sidestep, even if there is a history tab in your char info people still have to spend time looking it up and going through every single one of those 200 renames you've done to find the one rename that you actually did a big scam on.
Really with skill injectors they should even stop character trading so that everyone knows the same name is always attached to the same player.


No it's just stupidity.
As I told there should be limitation of course.

You are allowing people to resculpt characters but no rename ?

I can fake my name IRL easily but im going to get caught by my body easily !
So you mean EVE is unreal ?

Since when do people get tracked by there names it's 2016 wake up.
Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#13 - 2016-09-30 12:56:37 UTC
The main form of identification in eve is name, not your picture.

You want to search a char in eve, do you use name or enter a description of their face?
You want to find an enemy's fc and tell everyone to shoot them do you look for their name or their avatar?
What does everyone do to local chat? Thats right, they condense it so that only the name shows. Not the picture.
In the char creator i can make several toons look exactly the same but i cannot give them the same name. It is a unique identifier.


People know you by name, not by your face. Thats why you can resculpt.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#14 - 2016-09-30 13:10:34 UTC
Elis3 Un3xist wrote:
No it's just stupidity.
As I told there should be limitation of course.

You are allowing people to resculpt characters but no rename ?

I can fake my name IRL easily but im going to get caught by my body easily !
So you mean EVE is unreal ?

Since when do people get tracked by there names it's 2016 wake up.

As Daichi wrote, your picture is of lesser relevance. I do not see any avatars in local chat, and neither do most other capable people because they waste valuable window real-estate; I do not see avatars in alliance chat or corp chat or any other chat because of the same reason; I do not see avatars in the overview or in-space; I do not see avatars in contracts, in my market history, my transaction history; I do not even see clearly distinguishable avatars in search results for character searches. Wherever I go, I see names but not pictures.

As you evidently mentioned, your argument for name changes because of avatars is "just stupidity" and holds no merit whatsoever in the context of the EVE environment.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Elis3 Un3xist
Ofdimaelr Industrie Eau Lourde
#15 - 2016-10-05 00:28:35 UTC
So EVE is unreal.
Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#16 - 2016-10-05 00:30:56 UTC
Elis3 Un3xist wrote:
So EVE is unreal.

Amazing, a game isn't real.
Morgan Agrivar
Doomheim
#17 - 2016-10-05 03:59:23 UTC
#OPisclueless

or

#OPistrolling

Hard to tell...
Piugattuk
Perkone
Caldari State
#18 - 2016-10-05 04:39:35 UTC
I wanted the name pricecheck Tony but alas, I chose this.
Chevexia
Doomheim
#19 - 2016-11-19 20:19:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Chevexia
Holy crap, is everyone in this game this hostile? I search how to rename a character and end up here. You all know you can change your name in real life right? Is Caitlyn Jenner a whole new person with no reputation? lol no. Kinda funny how you guys are totally cool with changing your whole body in EVE, having clones, etc. but OH NO SOMEONE WANTS TO CHANGE THEIR NAME? BLASPHEMY!
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#20 - 2016-11-19 20:59:08 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Chevexia wrote:
Holy crap, is everyone in this game this hostile?

We are merely hostile to ideas that have been discussed to death and are hinged on bad logic.

We are even more hostile to "entitlement" (see: "because I am ________, I deserve this!")

Chevexia wrote:
You all know you can change your name in real life right?

Not relevant. Think within the context of the game.

Better yet; if you come up with an idea, first think about how a player can abuse it / use it against others.
That is pretty much how EVE players think and operate.

Chevexia wrote:
Kinda funny how you guys are totally cool with changing your whole body in EVE, having clones, etc. but OH NO SOMEONE WANTS TO CHANGE THEIR NAME? BLASPHEMY!

Let me say it in a different way so you can understand:


Your picture is pure vanity. Your name is not.

When you enter a system, no one will identify you through your image.

Instead, players will identify you through your name and use that name to see what you have done (via killboards, EVEWho, forum posts, etc).

In fact, a lot players have the character image in chat lists disabled so they can see as many names as possible.
12Next page