These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Osprey Redesign

Author
Professor Agony
Galactic Walmart
#1 - 2016-09-25 19:41:03 UTC
We're almost through the last of the ugly Caldari ships, and the osprey is one of the few left that desperately needs a redesign. What's the point of repping my fleetmates if looking in my general direction is more damaging than any opponent could be? I'm running out of medium sized paper bags :/
Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#2 - 2016-09-25 19:45:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
I know it's a personal thing, but I kind of hope CCP keep it ugly even after they redesign it.

Probably won't happen as they've been progressively making the Caldari more stealth looking and symmetrical.

Sometimes I miss the quirkiness of the old design, but not in a bitter way. I'm sure they'll get around to the Osprey and Bassilisk and make them sexy as hell so I'll want to fly Caldari.
Professor Agony
Galactic Walmart
#3 - 2016-09-25 19:47:53 UTC
I guess the moa was so ugly it started a trend.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
Infinite Pew
#4 - 2016-09-25 19:49:17 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
I know it's a personal thing, but I kind of hope CCP keep it ugly even after they redesign it.

I second this.

Nothing will make people remember a ship more than it being ass ugly. Bonus points if it is a "good" ship and ass ugly.
Al Nomadi
Morawins
#5 - 2016-09-25 19:55:00 UTC
I vote for Imicus redesign ;)
Serene Repose
#6 - 2016-09-25 21:04:40 UTC
Making spaceships that look like aircraft that fly - something having to do with air pressure on airfoils
-items spaceships don't have to deal with as they involve this thing called "atmosphere".

But...it looks "cool". This takes anthropomorphism to a brave new height - Technoanthropomorphism.
It also shows your designers have read too many comic books.

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2016-09-25 23:34:15 UTC
I don't know about you guys, but I actually like the current look of the Osprey, even if its thrusters are boxes.
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#8 - 2016-09-25 23:47:23 UTC
Bantam is worse by a long shot, osprey is mediocre. Really they should spend some time un-******* the few really dated cruiser hulls from other factions like the Omen, Rupture, Scythe etc.
Heinrich Harkkon
Trumpstaffel
#9 - 2016-09-26 03:07:37 UTC
Serene Repose wrote:
Making spaceships that look like aircraft that fly - something having to do with air pressure on airfoils
-items spaceships don't have to deal with as they involve this thing called "atmosphere".

But...it looks "cool". This takes anthropomorphism to a brave new height - Technoanthropomorphism.
It also shows your designers have read too many comic books.

It stands to reason that in an age of space travel, manufacturers would make their spacecraft look nice for the same reason that car manufacturers do today. The idea that spaceships would never be anything more than the bare minimum for functionality is pretty farcical.

"I had a dream that CCP Guard's naked photos leaked on the internet.

I discussed it and people were surprised how small it is, I mean his sausg.

Sorry for imagining you with little wee wee."

- Nana Skalski, 2016.

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#10 - 2016-09-26 05:35:43 UTC
I think we would rather get new ship models for Atron, Imicus, Navitas and Buzzard.
Reason? Because we already have seen concept arts for them.
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2016-09-26 07:15:41 UTC
Professor Agony wrote:
We're almost through the last of the ugly Caldari ships, and the osprey is one of the few left that desperately needs a redesign. What's the point of repping my fleetmates if looking in my general direction is more damaging than any opponent could be? I'm running out of medium sized paper bags :/

Thanks for posting this, made me lol.


DMC
Zirashi
Cyclical Destruction
#12 - 2016-09-26 08:55:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Zirashi
Heinrich Harkkon wrote:
Serene Repose wrote:
Making spaceships that look like aircraft that fly - something having to do with air pressure on airfoils
-items spaceships don't have to deal with as they involve this thing called "atmosphere".

But...it looks "cool". This takes anthropomorphism to a brave new height - Technoanthropomorphism.
It also shows your designers have read too many comic books.

It stands to reason that in an age of space travel, manufacturers would make their spacecraft look nice for the same reason that car manufacturers do today. The idea that spaceships would never be anything more than the bare minimum for functionality is pretty farcical.

Technically, designing 100% for practicality and function while completely ignoring cosmetics is actually supposed to be the Caldari's way of design. Explains the old Moa, Condor, Bantam, Griffin, and so on.

It's purely coincidence that the Rokh and Naga look so badass. Big smile
Heinrich Harkkon
Trumpstaffel
#13 - 2016-09-26 11:28:35 UTC
Zirashi wrote:
Heinrich Harkkon wrote:
Serene Repose wrote:
Making spaceships that look like aircraft that fly - something having to do with air pressure on airfoils
-items spaceships don't have to deal with as they involve this thing called "atmosphere".

But...it looks "cool". This takes anthropomorphism to a brave new height - Technoanthropomorphism.
It also shows your designers have read too many comic books.

It stands to reason that in an age of space travel, manufacturers would make their spacecraft look nice for the same reason that car manufacturers do today. The idea that spaceships would never be anything more than the bare minimum for functionality is pretty farcical.

Technically, designing 100% for practicality and function while completely ignoring cosmetics is actually supposed to be the Caldari's way of design. Explains the old Moa, Condor, Bantam, Griffin, and so on.

It's purely coincidence that the Rokh and Naga look so badass. Big smile

Oh yeah, the Caldari are the exception Cool

"I had a dream that CCP Guard's naked photos leaked on the internet.

I discussed it and people were surprised how small it is, I mean his sausg.

Sorry for imagining you with little wee wee."

- Nana Skalski, 2016.

Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#14 - 2016-09-26 11:35:43 UTC
Rokh and Naga is simple and symetrical.

Nothing like mauled chair sticked into a hedgehog of metal plates that Moa was.

New Caldari retain a lot of character in their ships by using simple surfaces, angular design. And they keep it clean by having those large, smooth surfaces prevalent.

Minmatar are using simple shapes, but they are "insides out" about everything. Ships are more "veiny" and skeletal, like a tribal totem in space.
Professor Agony
Galactic Walmart
#15 - 2016-09-26 19:49:26 UTC
Yes, aerodynamics do not matter, but with some of these wonky designs the center of mass is not in an ideal location. This would cause the thrusters to be used inefficiently while turning, as the left or right side had more inertia than the other. This is why symmetry makes sense in space.
Christopher Mabata
Northern Accounts and Systems
#16 - 2016-09-26 19:54:49 UTC
Even if they redesign it, the osprey shall and forevermore be my first mining ship back in 2011, A good old callback to the days of badgers, bestowers, ospreys, and more all out in the belts because barges took forever to train and there was no venture.


Ahh good times

But yes a redesign would be amazing, may actually use my osprey navy issue if it were a bit more ascetically pleasing

♣ Small Gang PVP, Large Fleet PVP, Black Ops, Incursions, Trade, and Industry ♣ 70% Lethal / 30% Super-Snuggly / 110% No idea what im doing ♣

This Message Brought to you by a sweet and sour bittervet

Serene Repose
#17 - 2016-09-26 22:24:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Serene Repose
Heinrich Harkkon wrote:
Serene Repose wrote:
Making spaceships that look like aircraft that fly - something having to do with air pressure on airfoils
-items spaceships don't have to deal with as they involve this thing called "atmosphere".

But...it looks "cool". This takes anthropomorphism to a brave new height - Technoanthropomorphism.
It also shows your designers have read too many comic books.

It stands to reason that in an age of space travel, manufacturers would make their spacecraft look nice for the same reason that car manufacturers do today. The idea that spaceships would never be anything more than the bare minimum for functionality is pretty farcical.
But, you used that word "nice". Nice as in - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We're in a culture that's never seen a spaceship trying to design a spaceship. Invariably the "nice" is something to which one is aesthetically enured. Hence, either a form of an airplane - highly elaborated of course with "cool" bits like swept back wings, and deftly-placed engine looking thingies; or a ship of some sort - The Rokh, oddly enough, resembles a diesel locomotive.

FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION. Airplanes don't look like they do because the designer wanted something to look cool. If they weren't designed that way, they wouldn't function. We added the "nice" ourselves, and we added the "cool". Now, when "we" (most of us) look at a design without understanding this process of familiarization, we don't notice our imaginations adding an overlay of validity to a design. Conversely we don't notice we reject designs which don't fit our accustomed range of acceptable imagery.

I hope I was abundantly vague. The most efficient form for a spaceship, functionally speaking, is the sphere. Why do you think spaceship Earth is shaped as it is? All the OTHER bodies out there more or less conform to this form. The Death Star, right? If designers stuck to that, you'd be saying everything looks like the Death Star, and could they please put some sticky-outty stuff on it to make it look "different"?

You process imagery. The designer processes imagery. You're literally asking a designer to create an image to suit your imagination, rather than trying to accommodate in your own mind the interpretation of someone else's mind.

So....they can design something "nice" if they want, huh?

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Shae Tadaruwa
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#18 - 2016-09-26 22:31:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Shae Tadaruwa
Serene Repose wrote:
The most efficient form for a spaceship, functionally speaking, is the sphere. Why do you think spaceship Earth is shaped as it is? All the OTHER bodies out there more or less conform to this form. The Death Star, right?

WTF?

Where does this bit of anti-intelligence come from?

Dracvlad - "...Your intel is free intel, all you do is pay for it..." && "...If you warp on the same path as a cloaked ship, you'll make a bookmark at exactly the same spot as the cloaky camper..."

Professor Agony
Galactic Walmart
#19 - 2016-09-27 03:24:43 UTC
A sphere doesn't make sense when you're trying to lay out an array of weapons and instruments that need to have a clear path to the target and ample spacing in between to allow for movement and little interference. Hence the winged/armed designs
Vincent Pelletier
Pelletier Imports and Exports
#20 - 2016-09-27 04:28:19 UTC
Professor Agony wrote:
I guess the moa was so ugly it started a trend.


Scorpion change was the first one in that respect, I do miss the old one. Being symmetrical as fck like that, with its looks, was just awesome, it just needed some updating, not.... what it got.
12Next page