These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

make a small mobile tractor unit for frigates and destoryers

Author
Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#1 - 2016-09-05 23:05:27 UTC
The current mobile tractor units are too big for frigates an destroyers so im requesting a small less powerful versions:

1) Volume: 25-50 m3

2) tractor range (max): 50km

3) Capacity: 1500 m3

4) most other stats similar or shaved a bit if deemd OP.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#2 - 2016-09-05 23:35:58 UTC
You're in a frigate ... Just fly out and get it.
Zan Shiro
Alternative Enterprises
#3 - 2016-09-05 23:44:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Zan Shiro
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
You're in a frigate ... Just fly out and get it.


Basically. ye old salvage cata days....good times lol.

Is level 1 and 2 even worth this? Even when loot/salvage was good these were blitzers for standings to shoot to level 3 BC work to rush to level 4 properly and start ringing up some lp such as you can low levels. Blitz to storyline, do it again.

Todays loot and salvage...man even 4's a mere shadow of their former glory. 1 and 2 has to suck massively I am thinking.
Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2016-09-05 23:48:42 UTC
Only level 4 missions are worth salvaging and looting, so unless this would be used to ded sites, I don't see any reason to add this.

Also as already stated, a frigate is more than fast enough to fly to the wreck / can and loot...
Tabyll Altol
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2016-09-06 11:59:28 UTC
Use a cargo expander --> Problem solved

-1
Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#6 - 2016-09-06 20:36:08 UTC
I recently ran an L2 mission and the loot total not including salvage was around 4 million thus it would have paid for the mini tractor unit (since one would expect it to cost quite a bit less) (admit that that much ISK from an L2 is rare but i had to pass on a lot of loot simply because flying around to pick it up would have taken so long).

Also, all the respondents so far are probably bittervets by now sitting on billions that have long forgot how it was to be dirt poor. I recently started a new acct and didnt give them any ISK to work with, ground up, no assistance. I found myself wanting that loot in a bad way since at first you are spending a lot and making practically nothing form bounties, completion or LP.

Also, Tabyll Altol, exactly what is a cargo expander going to do for me, i need the items tractored making my cargo hold bigger solves exactly nothing.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Lugh Crow-Slave
#7 - 2016-09-06 21:11:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugh Crow-Slave
but you would actually lose isk.....

the time it takes you to loot the site would be better spent getting started on the next mission to get standings to get worth while missions


the cargo expander is so you can hold the tractor unit... could you not put that together? basicly you don't need a smaller item if you can just get a bigger hold. it will give you more than 100m3
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#8 - 2016-09-06 23:23:15 UTC
How about we ask nicely if we could get a boat that would be able to salvage and tractor wrecks in very quickly?

Maybe that boat would get a nice large cargo hold, a range bonus for tractors and salvagers and even lots of high slots.

That would be one cool boat.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#9 - 2016-09-07 01:25:56 UTC
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:
The current mobile tractor units are too big for frigates an destroyers so im requesting a small less powerful versions:

1) Volume: 25-50 m3

2) tractor range (max): 50km

3) Capacity: 1500 m3

4) most other stats similar or shaved a bit if deemd OP.


Destroyers already have very large cargo bays.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#10 - 2016-09-07 01:27:02 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
How about we ask nicely if we could get a boat that would be able to salvage and tractor wrecks in very quickly?

Maybe that boat would get a nice large cargo hold, a range bonus for tractors and salvagers and even lots of high slots.

That would be one cool boat.


If only there was such a ship... We could call it an Awesome Tractor Beam Mobile. Or a Noctis?

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#11 - 2016-09-07 07:10:13 UTC
Big smile

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#12 - 2016-09-07 08:03:55 UTC
CCP better come up with a way better name for it, though. No offense Diomedes, but Noctis just sounds like some hideously vile creature spawned only from the deepest, dankest, smelliest trash-festering **** pit from hell. Hardly the loot-scooping money maker you and elitetwo are describing.

A "Noctis"? No one's gonna want to fly that. Roll

Jokes aside, the very same argument was raised several times before when MTU's were first introduced. And for the most part, no big surprise here, I saw the very same counterpoints returned...and I still find their reasoning more sound and on point. Most L1-2 aren't even worth your time even if you had an MTU to throw out there despite the 100-125 cubic meter bar, let alone one that costs less cargo but had weaker stats to compensate. I'd have to agree with others now and those before that such an idea is rather pointless. It's almost pointless for a BS to bring one on quite a few L4's for that matter. You're better off blitzing the unholy crap out of an L1 and rushing back to your agent to snatch another op than worry about shooting and scooping.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#13 - 2016-09-13 17:00:46 UTC
Lugh Crow-Slave wrote:
but you would actually lose isk.....

the time it takes you to loot the site would be better spent getting started on the next mission to get standings to get worth while missions


the cargo expander is so you can hold the tractor unit... could you not put that together? basicly you don't need a smaller item if you can just get a bigger hold. it will give you more than 100m3


Okay i missed that but is it okay to make a hold so big on small ships. I would say it probably isnt. Making the hold bigger effects other parts of the game because you have increased absolute hold which probably should remain limited.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#14 - 2016-09-13 17:02:47 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
How about we ask nicely if we could get a boat that would be able to salvage and tractor wrecks in very quickly?

Maybe that boat would get a nice large cargo hold, a range bonus for tractors and salvagers and even lots of high slots.

That would be one cool boat.



By the same logic we get rid of MTUs altogether because you can use a noctis to tractor and loot for any ship.......

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#15 - 2016-09-13 17:05:07 UTC
FT Diomedes wrote:
elitatwo wrote:
How about we ask nicely if we could get a boat that would be able to salvage and tractor wrecks in very quickly?

Maybe that boat would get a nice large cargo hold, a range bonus for tractors and salvagers and even lots of high slots.

That would be one cool boat.


If only there was such a ship... We could call it an Awesome Tractor Beam Mobile. Or a Noctis?



Letting other people think for you and later finding out it was a stupid basis for logic is bad. MTUs are offered to larger vessels as well as the noctis which means that CCP has already made the decision that having both available does not invalidate the MTU as a good addition to the game.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2016-09-13 17:11:35 UTC
Obviously the noctis is better, it's tractor speed is way faster albeit with lower lock ranges and can tractor multiple items

The mtu I agree could be a little smaller. Though I believe one exists that is 50 or 75 and that's the magpie tractor
Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#17 - 2016-09-13 17:15:09 UTC
Sobaan Tali wrote:
CCP better come up with a way better name for it, though. No offense Diomedes, but Noctis just sounds like some hideously vile creature spawned only from the deepest, dankest, smelliest trash-festering **** pit from hell. Hardly the loot-scooping money maker you and elitetwo are describing.

A "Noctis"? No one's gonna want to fly that. Roll

Jokes aside, the very same argument was raised several times before when MTU's were first introduced. And for the most part, no big surprise here, I saw the very same counterpoints returned...and I still find their reasoning more sound and on point. Most L1-2 aren't even worth your time even if you had an MTU to throw out there despite the 100-125 cubic meter bar, let alone one that costs less cargo but had weaker stats to compensate. I'd have to agree with others now and those before that such an idea is rather pointless. It's almost pointless for a BS to bring one on quite a few L4's for that matter. You're better off blitzing the unholy crap out of an L1 and rushing back to your agent to snatch another op than worry about shooting and scooping.


Your base assumption is flawed. I could do other things in EVE and make a much bigger ISK/HR return than even running L4s, yet the MTU is here and is often used for running L3s and L4s. We dont all play the game the same way for a reason, we are not all the same people. Those that do choose to run L4s only a very limited number will truly maximize their ISK/HR most will settle for much less return because it is easier.

YOU, and others, like ISK/HR over other options and it is a valid way to play the game.

I, and not a few others, like to loot just because looting is fun for us but running all over a battle field looting is tedious even to me, hence my request for a mini MTU (and as i mentioned in another post the MTU and the Noctis live side by side for other ships so the existence of the MTU doesnt invalidate CCPs opinion that MTUs and the Noctis can play side by side).

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#18 - 2016-09-13 17:17:17 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Obviously the noctis is better, it's tractor speed is way faster albeit with lower lock ranges and can tractor multiple items

The mtu I agree could be a little smaller. Though I believe one exists that is 50 or 75 and that's the magpie tractor


Which is expensive as hell and for a newbro that is just the opposite of what he would want. He wants a small, cheaper MTU.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2016-09-13 17:20:14 UTC
No, he would want the smaller one regardless of how expensive it is. Whether he gets it or not would be the question

Instead, hypothetical new bro will use another method in the meantime to collect his loot, or use his brain and do some research and not bother looting at all.

What you're asking for already exists and because of the balance factor (price and rarity) is not in your favour you decide it needs to change.
Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#20 - 2016-09-13 17:21:09 UTC
Tabyll Altol wrote:
Use a cargo expander --> Problem solved

-1


Now i have to lose a mod slot to have an MTU when other larger ships do not, no thank you. In particular armor tanked ships would be hurt a lot by this as lows are where their tank AND damage mods fit.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

12Next page